EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Look and Feel
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
Deth
Server: Blackburrow
Guild: Legend

Loremaster

Is there a reason why Sarnak's do not get class hat graphics?I don't think this is very fair. I was going to start a Sarnak Dirge, but I don't want to make him if I can't wear my feathered hat.(Sorry if this is a repeat thread, couldn't find another one.)
Old 01-05-2008, 02:14 AM   #2
Cusashorn

Loremaster

What type of limitation prevents them from having Class hats? Is it a graphical issue? Did you equip Hoo'Loh's hat and see?

Whats going on?

Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:48 AM   #3
Deth

Loremaster

It just makes it look like they have nose armor, like their other hats.I just looked at Nightchord hat in the dressing room.edit: oh and I meant to say class hat graphics.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:40 AM   #4
Deth

Loremaster

Can anyone confirm if this will be fixed in a GU?
Old 01-07-2008, 03:18 AM   #5
Argul
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Parasitic

Lord

All hats for Sarnak have been like that since day one, so I don't think its going to be changed. They could mention it before you click 'play' when you create one.

Argul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:01 AM   #6
troodon

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

All hats for Sarnak have been like that since day one, so I don't think its going to be changed. They could mention it before you click 'play' when you create one.

Yeah... that would be the goofiest alert I can imagine being in the game.

"WARNING: the race you have selected cannot display class hats.  Play at your own risk!"

Give me a break

ROL GRATUL SKORCHERS!!
troodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:18 AM   #7
Snowdonia
Server: Runnyeye
Guild: Majestic

Tester

I don't know if this was on the beta boards or public boards but I do remember a dev stating specifically that the Sarnak would not be able to display class hats because of the dimensions of their heads and having the spines. something to that effect.
Snowdonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
KBern

Loremaster

Yeah I inspected another zerker to see what their hat looks like on my Sarnak zerker....same graphic.

It is disappointing but understandable and not really game breaking...but class hats and unique looks are one of the fun things about this game to many people so it would be nice if they could find some way to make the hats a bit more unique.

If they can fit necro hats on rats, iksar, frogs, trolls, humans, etc...and alter the dimensions, I dont see why they could not do it for the sarnak.

My iksar necro has the head frill (like a fish's dorsal fin splayed out) and when he wears his helm or class hats, this feature vanishes.

They could do something like that if it really is the horns that are affecting the looks.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #9
Deth

Loremaster

exactly, my iksar necro has fins on his head also, and I can wear the class hat.Just for some, it looses the incentive to even try to complete the quest when you cant see what you received for it.Thats just how I see it.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
DocFlareon

Loremaster

The situation might change in a few months, once the art team has a chance to get to work on developing class hat appearances for sarnaks.
DocFlareon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:03 PM   #11
Argul
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Parasitic

Lord

troodon wrote:
[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Yeah... that would be the goofiest alert I can imagine being in the game.

"WARNING: the race you have selected cannot display class hats.  Play at your own risk!"

Give me a break

That, or there will be repeat threads of this topic.
Argul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #12
Gnobrin

Steam-monkey

I would imagine, if you choose to play a race with 15 horns on your head, it may cause issue in equipping special hats, too.  Do you really want a hat with 15 horns sticking out of it, or do you suddenly want to go bald so you can wear such a thing?

~Gnobrin!

Gnobrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #13
Mystfit

Loremaster

Well, though I agree the 15 horns would prove interesting...mayheps a small quest where they have their horns sawed off..OUCH

BUt, I thought I"d make note that I play a half elf dirge and I -go bald- when I wear my class hat. It stuffs it all in a scarf. (as a girl) As a guy, I think they do go bald. So, it's not completely unreasonable to say go get the saw (snicker)

Old 01-10-2008, 05:07 PM   #14
liveja

General

Gnobrin wrote:

I would imagine, if you choose to play a race with 15 horns on your head, it may cause issue in equipping special hats, too.

Right. I note that you apparently don't have problems *equipping* the item, just in *seeing* it once it is equipped.

& yea, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if people agreed that having 15 horns sticking out of their hat would be preferrable to not being able to see their hat. Though, since you guys can apparently eliminate an Iksar's head frill when they wear hats, I'm not sure why you can't find a way to eliminate the Sarnak horns when they wear a hat.

Frankly, I would have imagined the devs would have thought of all these issues long ago & found a way to deal with them before they arose for players, but perhaps I'm being naive. & finally, yea, I think a bit of text warning potential Sarnak players that their odd physiology may interfere with them doing certain things other races take for granted just might be moderately helpful.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #15
KBern

Loremaster

Gnobrin wrote:

I would imagine, if you choose to play a race with 15 horns on your head, it may cause issue in equipping special hats, too.  Do you really want a hat with 15 horns sticking out of it, or do you suddenly want to go bald so you can wear such a thing?

~Gnobrin!

I think people would love to have the choice, yes.  As was done with iksar models.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #16
liveja

General

Mystfit wrote:

BUt, I thought I"d make note that I play a half elf dirge and I -go bald- when I wear my class hat. It stuffs it all in a scarf. (as a girl) As a guy, I think they do go bald.

I'm a Human Swashy. When I cast my level 40 "fun spell", Illusion: Half Elf, I go completely bald. It's not the least bit sexy, so I never ever cast that spell any more SMILEY

Apparently, SOE can't figure out how to make that particular bug work to the advantage of Sarnak players & class hats.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #17
Mystfit

Loremaster

Bald is only cute on Jean-Luc Picard.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #18
Bodracoran

Loremaster

How bout having the hat pierced by the horns, with rip marks. or hanging from a horn

horn bands would be nice to see...

Bodracoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #19
Ogrebe

General

Mystfit wrote:
Bald is only cute on Jean-Luc Picard.

Ogrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #20
TheSpin

Loremaster

I just want to mention that as a kerra, all of my illusions have hair...this is including quite a few petrified eyes as well as my fun spell illusions.

If you really want to mess with it you could try going to a barber shop, changing your character's normal haircut, and then tryin the illusion.  I'm not sure if it would matter or not though.

TheSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #21
Sayne

Loremaster

There is no "haircut" for a sarnak that will allow you to display a hat.

I have mixed feelings on this issue.  I was really disappointed when I discovered that my brand new monk will ever get to wear the cool woven-reeds type of hat.  They're so awesome, and it was enoughof a disappointment when I realized she would also never be able to wear the female version of a Gi, which I thought would look pretty cool.  So now I'm stuck with a monk who can never wear her classhat or the gender-appropriate gi.

But then again, the noseplates look kind of cool.  I like that you can kind of specialize your appearance a little with whatever hat you'd like to wear.  My sarnak now wears a hat in her appearance slot that makes for a pretty cool nose plate, and that works for now.  If they change it to where we can wear class hats I'll be happy, but I can also live without it.

Another option would be like with what happens when an iksar wears a santa hat.  Instead of wrapping around the iksar's head (like what happens with elves and humans, etc) it perches on top, which I think is adorable and my templar loves to wear her little santa hat because of it.  I think miniature versions of the class hat would probably make me laugh, however.

I'll just keep holing up my picket sign about female sarnaks wearing male clothes and hope for the best!

Decorator LFW!
Sayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #22
arieste

Loremaster

Gnobrin wrote:

do you suddenly want to go bald so you can wear such a thing?

~Gnobrin!

uhm... all the other races "suddenly go bald" to wear headgear, why not sarnaks?

(well at least my wood elf and fae go bald, i don't know about ALL)

Old 01-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #23
DocFlareon

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

There is no "haircut" for a sarnak that will allow you to display a hat.

I have mixed feelings on this issue.  I was really disappointed when I discovered that my brand new monk will ever get to wear the cool woven-reeds type of hat.  They're so awesome, and it was enoughof a disappointment when I realized she would also never be able to wear the female version of a Gi, which I thought would look pretty cool.  So now I'm stuck with a monk who can never wear her classhat or the gender-appropriate gi.

But then again, the noseplates look kind of cool.  I like that you can kind of specialize your appearance a little with whatever hat you'd like to wear.  My sarnak now wears a hat in her appearance slot that makes for a pretty cool nose plate, and that works for now.  If they change it to where we can wear class hats I'll be happy, but I can also live without it.

Another option would be like with what happens when an iksar wears a santa hat.  Instead of wrapping around the iksar's head (like what happens with elves and humans, etc) it perches on top, which I think is adorable and my templar loves to wear her little santa hat because of it.  I think miniature versions of the class hat would probably make me laugh, however.

I'll just keep holing up my picket sign about female sarnaks wearing male clothes and hope for the best!

Actually, I think the mini class hat idea has merit.  Or perhaps in the future the Art Department will come up with special class snout covers.
DocFlareon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #24
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

Iksars don't have 47 billion horns and spins sticking out of their head.  The female frills are akin to hair on other races.  The Sarnak horns are not.  Maybe if enough people [I cannot control my vocabulary] the art team will get new sarnak class hats into a future GU taking into account that there will need to be holes or gaps for the horns.

Why would Sarnak femles wear differnt clothing then male Sarnaks when they don't have appreciably different bodies externally?  They are reptillian.  I don't understand why Iksars have different clothing as they have nearly identical body types as well. Both races are reptillian with neither breasts nor genitalia protruding from their bodies. 

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #25
smokedout

Loremaster

I agree Sony needs too step it up a notch and quit being lazy. Give the Sarnak helm graphics ffs... is it really asking too much ? 1 race without a helm graphic gimme a break.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #26
Frigid2000

Loremaster

I personally think a Sarnak would look completely silly wearing a hat. Some models, the horns might interfere. Other models, the horns would interfere. You want horns to suddenly "disappear" come hat time? Yay, my sarnak lizard is suddenly bald. I guess you could have the horns "sticking through" the hat, like the way my armored warg sticks through my cloak. lol Just another case of you can't please everyone. But, hey, just my opinion.

Frigid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #27
Sayne

Loremaster

LordPazuzu wrote:

Iksars don't have 47 billion horns and spins sticking out of their head.  The female frills are akin to hair on other races.  The Sarnak horns are not.  Maybe if enough people [I cannot control my vocabulary] the art team will get new sarnak class hats into a future GU taking into account that there will need to be holes or gaps for the horns.

Why would Sarnak femles wear differnt clothing then male Sarnaks when they don't have appreciably different bodies externally?  They are reptillian.  I don't understand why Iksars have different clothing as they have nearly identical body types as well. Both races are reptillian with neither breasts nor genitalia protruding from their bodies. 

I've known some fairly boyish women to wear female clothes and some effeminate men to wear men's clothes.  Does that make them weird? I don't really think so.  If sarnaks aren't meant to wear clothing to help distinguish gender, then I think that all non-humanish creatures should be standardized to be the same.  Kerra, ratonga, iksar, and froglock should all be adjusted so that they all are not gender-specific.  There needs to be some sort of standard, and there currently isn't.  I don't really want to ever put my sarnak in a dress, and I've only done it once on my iksar as a joke, but they should both have the capability as females to wear female clothing, or all races like theirs should not.  Or perhaps it should be optional, but then I would make an argument that it should be for all races, which I think a lot of people disagree with it.  If they would just make it so that gender-specific clothing is gender-specific for everyone, the problem would resolve itself.
Decorator LFW!
Sayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #28
Farmyard_Agency

Journeyman

Gnobrin wrote:

~Gnobrin!

This is annoying to come from a dev and you're just beating around the bush.  The easiest way to deflect your deflection of the issue is taking one example of the myriad of aspects in this MMO (or any video game for that matter) and asking, "oh, does that really make sense/seem realistic to you?"So yes, I do suddenly want to go bald, or at least have the option to do so like every other race.
Farmyard_Agency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #29
Davic
Server: Befallen
Guild: Divinity

Loremaster

I feel this is something that really needs to be addressed. Why should every other race get a class hat but all I get is the exact same graphic as level 1 cloth armor for my rangers hood. I know you guys are busy and all but since all the EoF and KoS class armor uses the same graphic just recolored for the class hat it would be nice if mine actually looked like something. I would rather be bald or have the horns just sticking out random places than what it is now.
Davic is offline   Reply With Quote