EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Priest's Sanctum
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
Oakum

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,441
Default

Something I have noticed is this change that has occured with SF and getting to lvl 90. It used to be that the CA versions did more damage then the nuke versions and the tradeoff was that they had a slightly longer recast and if parried or blocked could not be recast like a spells could. CA's would scale with you as you lvled basically.

Now I am seen that all the nuke master versions are doing more damage with the same long recast for the CA version. Its like they stopped scaling at a certain point.

Do inquisitors and mystics have the same problem? Bugging it in game for wardens so if the other melee priest have the same issues, you should bug it also.

__________________
Oakum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
Calain80

Loremaster
Calain80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,309
Default

The actually never did more damage on my Inq. The CA do only about as much damage as expert spells. Only if you had a lot more STR as INT it could look like that the CA would do about as much damage as the master spells. It isn't as bad as an Inq as most are DoTs with an duration close to the longer reuse of the CAs, so you don't loose that much. The main benefit is the faster cast time so you have more time to do other things. It is sad, but that is how it was and is.
Calain80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Jemoo
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Faydarks Legion
Rank: Guild Officers

Loremaster
Jemoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 204
Default

The CAs of my mystic have always had the same recast timer as the spell versions, with slightly less damage, but I could cast them much faster and that was the trade off. I never got my damage spells up to masters so I can't tell you how that effected the CAs because I have always been a pure healer and only got the CAs to fill space in my Mystic tree.
__________________
Jemoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
Lamatu

Loremaster
Lamatu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 220
Default

I have a 90 warden and I think your right. My spells do alot more damage than my CA's and can be recast in half the time.

I don't know if it is because the CA's are not affected as much by potency as the spells are. I still prefer my melee skills

because with AA I have more of them than spells. With all my combat spells at T9 master they still hit for 500 more

damage than the CA's and thats with the boost from battle prowess.

__________________
Lamatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
blaiddur

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 18
Default

As someone else said (i think), the cas benefit is the fast cast. you can get more of them off so you can have more time to cast other things. its alot harder decision to cast a 3 sec winds of permafrost then a 1 sec whirl or permafrost (time varying based on stats ofcourse). if you can get in melee range the dpamage potential of the cas is also greater especially if your lacking cast speed. In the time it takes to cast winds of permafrost you could cast multiple cas and still have time to get a heal casting. so the 3 or more cas you cast is more damage then the one spell cast even if each cas damage is less than theyre spell counterpart. As your waiting for the longer recast you can cast other cas, spells, heals or buffs. If you have infusion the latter 2 will do dmg as well.

blaiddur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
Oakum

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,441
Default

blaiddur wrote:

As someone else said (i think), the cas benefit is the fast cast. you can get more of them off so you can have more time to cast other things. its alot harder decision to cast a 3 sec winds of permafrost then a 1 sec whirl or permafrost (time varying based on stats ofcourse). if you can get in melee range the dpamage potential of the cas is also greater especially if your lacking cast speed. In the time it takes to cast winds of permafrost you could cast multiple cas and still have time to get a heal casting. so the 3 or more cas you cast is more damage then the one spell cast even if each cas damage is less than theyre spell counterpart. As your waiting for the longer recast you can cast other cas, spells, heals or buffs. If you have infusion the latter 2 will do dmg as well.

Lol, but you cant get more of them off. If I remember correctly the icefall spell recast is like 5 seconds faster then then the CA.

Had a thought though not at home to test it. It could be because the ability recast stats are not working correctly on the ca's but are on the nukes. I didnt think  I rememebered that big a difference between the two versions. Maybe mystics and inquisters ca's are being affected by ability recasting and are working correctly and wardens are not.

I definitely remember my ca's doing more damage then my nukes last tier. Especialy dawnstrike for which the ca is 8 lvls higher. Now, being 8 lvls higher, its almost equal to the nuke. Icefall strike is 600 to 800 more and since Wardens dont have big damage spells, thats like 20 percent lost.

Maybe it was supposed to be this way and I had a higher str (from fighter/scout gear and dps sets then I had int which all druid healing gear had a high amount of for furys/nukeing wardens.

Would be nice to get an offical answer and know if all the melee aa's are wasted by being outdone by the the nukes.

__________________
Oakum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Avanya
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Cohort Chalybeius
Rank: Officer

Loremaster
Avanya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 314
Default

Oakum wrote:

blaiddur wrote:

As someone else said (i think), the cas benefit is the fast cast. you can get more of them off so you can have more time to cast other things. its alot harder decision to cast a 3 sec winds of permafrost then a 1 sec whirl or permafrost (time varying based on stats ofcourse). if you can get in melee range the dpamage potential of the cas is also greater especially if your lacking cast speed. In the time it takes to cast winds of permafrost you could cast multiple cas and still have time to get a heal casting. so the 3 or more cas you cast is more damage then the one spell cast even if each cas damage is less than theyre spell counterpart. As your waiting for the longer recast you can cast other cas, spells, heals or buffs. If you have infusion the latter 2 will do dmg as well.

Lol, but you cant get more of them off. If I remember correctly the icefall spell recast is like 5 seconds faster then then the CA.

Had a thought though not at home to test it. It could be because the ability recast stats are not working correctly on the ca's but are on the nukes. I didnt think  I rememebered that big a difference between the two versions. Maybe mystics and inquisters ca's are being affected by ability recasting and are working correctly and wardens are not.

I definitely remember my ca's doing more damage then my nukes last tier. Especialy dawnstrike for which the ca is 8 lvls higher. Now, being 8 lvls higher, its almost equal to the nuke. Icefall strike is 600 to 800 more and since Wardens dont have big damage spells, thats like 20 percent lost.

Maybe it was supposed to be this way and I had a higher str (from fighter/scout gear and dps sets then I had int which all druid healing gear had a high amount of for furys/nukeing wardens.

Would be nice to get an offical answer and know if all the melee aa's are wasted by being outdone by the the nukes.

My CA's definitely used to do more damage than the spell version.  I too used to have much higher str than int gear though so you could have a point there.

Avanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
Odys
Server: Storms
Guild: Eternitalis
Rank: Cavalier

Loremaster
Odys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,422
Default

indeed i never paid attention, before SF my dps gear was str based and i had +CA and no + Spells, i will check, if ca do less than spells  i will gladly stay afar. Note that if it is the case we get here another illustration of the total lack of planning in the dev team. Ca are obtained via AAs and they are more risky to use (melee range), they should do more dps. If spell haste, potency, reuse haste are such that spells do now more dps there is something wrong.

__________________
Odys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Hene

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 303
Default

My mystic's CAs hit for significantly less than my spells as well; they also have a much longer reuse time...this makes full-out DPSing somewhat of a boring task as I tend to be waiting for my CAs to come up more often than I'd like

[email protected] wrote:

The CAs of my mystic have always had the same recast timer as the spell versions, with slightly less damage, but I could cast them much faster and that was the trade off. I never got my damage spells up to masters so I can't tell you how that effected the CAs because I have always been a pure healer and only got the CAs to fill space in my Mystic tree.

Actually, the reuse has always been different, I don't know what you are talking about.

Hene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
Oakum

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,441
Default

I got a inquisitor dps spell master dropped and offered it to a friend I raid with. He declined it because it was not as good as his CA so you know that the warden's CA's are broken or underpowered.

__________________
Oakum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
Hene

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 303
Default

Oakum wrote:

I got a inquisitor dps spell master dropped and offered it to a friend I raid with. He declined it because it was not as good as his CA so you know that the warden's CA's are broken or underpowered.

Did he say "not as good as my spell" or "does not do as much damage as my spell?" Because (especially for inquisitors) with tons of hostile spells and CAs to cast all the time (i.e. enough to make up for the fact that a single CA takes a long time to refresh) the quick casting CAs are "better" than spells not for absolute damage done, but damage per casting time

Also, he may have been in Battle Prowess stance, so his CAs looked a bit beefed up cmopared to his spells (as opposed to the casting based litany of combat mini-stance)

Hene is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:20 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.