EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > In Testing Feedback
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Terrogaunt

Developer

Hey guys! Yesterday the new /beta functionality showed up on Test. I'm hoping to get some good testing on this before it shows up on live, so feel free to hop in game and /beta. Currently it's not logging out all of the failure cases, so be sure to let me know when you have a bug.

If you have access to the beta server, you should see the character show up as soon as you're able to wait the 20 seconds to camp out and log in again.

Note: houses are NOT going to be transfered over with you in the character copy

Terrogaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
ArtemisClyde

Loremaster

worked great, showed up immediately, no house , as stated, also- no broker as well. that's one thing the old version had on it, though it took much longer. no biggie though.
ArtemisClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
Terrogaunt

Developer

ArtemisClyde wrote:

worked great, showed up immediately, no house , as stated, also- no broker as well. that's one thing the old version had on it, though it took much longer. no biggie though.

Right, that is another thing that doesn't get grabbed. Essentially, this is just a copy of the character instead of the character and everything attached. It makes the process of copying nearly instantaneous since it doens't have to grab nearly as much information from the database SMILEY

Old 09-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Ashlie
Server: Mistmoore
Guild: Order of Concord

Loremaster

Character was on beta in the amount of time it took me to log out of test and log into beta. I did the copy from inside my Lavastorm home, and I know the homes don't copy, but it put me inside of an empty T1 guild hall. I'm guessing that's because I entered the home from my guild hall on test.

I copied a second toon that was the leader of a guild on test and I noticed that the guild did not transfer over. Will this be the case going forward? Or will our guilds copy over, if the toon is a leader?

Ashlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Terrogaunt

Developer

[email protected] wrote:

Character was on beta in the amount of time it took me to log out of test and log into beta. I did the copy from inside my Lavastorm home, and I know the homes don't copy, but it put me inside of an empty T1 guild hall. I'm guessing that's because I entered the home from my guild hall on test.

I copied a second toon that was the leader of a guild on test and I noticed that the guild did not transfer over. Will this be the case going forward? Or will our guilds copy over, if the toon is a leader?

From what I've been told, we used to have issues in the past with invalid guild data once the individual character finished the transfer, so it's safer to just strip off all guild data during the copy.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
ArtemisClyde

Loremaster

at least with the prior /beta script, your toon would arrive and then its guild would arrive within 24 hours after. idk if this is still the case, but it was as of a week or so ago.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Ashlie

Loremaster

Terrogaunt wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

From what I've been told, we used to have issues in the past with invalid guild data once the individual character finished the transfer, so it's safer to just strip off all guild data during the copy.

So, if/when there is guild amenities or anything guild related that needs testing, will we get a buffer that will buff us with the guild level, status, and plat needed to get guild halls to do the testing with?

Old 09-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

Discards requests that go over the character limit on the beta server.

Does not limit the number of requests made in a session but seems to discard duplicates made in succession.

Fast, functional, effective. A+++++ Would test again.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
ArtemisClyde

Loremaster

now the big question is...when do we get to see this go live? *bats lashez* ;SMILEY
Old 09-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
Finora

Tester

Pretty nice.

Nearly instant from what I could tell on one copy I made. I'll make a few more and see what happens =).

Big step in the right direction to make getting a copy easier for people. While I mostly didn't have issues getting a copy under the old system, I know a few people (my husband included) who would not get copied frequently (even if I made sure he typed the right thing) when he was trying to test something so quit bothering after a while.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
Soresha

Tester

It's certainly quick. I copied a few characters over ok.

Then I tried repeatedly copying the same one, and didn't seem to work.

Re-issuing the /beta command successively didn't cause multiple copies. Then I tried zoning to a new location and got a Soresjax copied over - that seems ok?

Then I went back to Test and tried going to 3 different zones and using the /beta command - and none of them got copied.

Tried again, camping between a couple of requests, still nothing. I've only got Soresja and Soresjax. So what's the rules on this? Is it once per day? Or it never goes to Namexx or beyond now?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
Terrogaunt

Developer

Soresha wrote:

Re-issuing the /beta command successively didn't cause multiple copies. Then I tried zoning to a new location and got a Soresjax copied over - that seems ok?

Then I went back to Test and tried going to 3 different zones and using the /beta command - and none of them got copied.

Tried again, camping between a couple of requests, still nothing. I've only got Soresja and Soresjax. So what's the rules on this? Is it once per day? Or it never goes to Namexx or beyond now?

It looks like the reason for this is because I'm generating names based on a known map of characters. If you've never logged in a particular character, it won't know to append another x since that one hasn't shown up in this valid character list. (which I'll probably need to fix, really)

When it goes to attempt to create a new character, the name is already taken so it doesn't make it. Go ahead and try logging in your character to see if it let's you copy again.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
ArtemisClyde

Loremaster

oh it does, i already made like a namexx and namexxx so far, was meaning to post that soon. yeah just log the toons in as u get em before u go make another copy

i take that back. name, namex, and namexx. i couldnt get past 2 extra copies. even after logging all 3 in. so idk.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #14
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

ArtemisClyde wrote:

oh it does, i already made like a namexx and namexxx so far, was meaning to post that soon. yeah just log the toons in as u get em before u go make another copy

i take that back. name, namex, and namexx. i couldnt get past 2 extra copies. even after logging all 3 in. so idk.

Did you hit the toon slot limit? (8)

Old 09-20-2012, 01:23 AM   #15
ArtemisClyde

Loremaster

nah. 3 toons. think i get 7 on beta, but that acct is silver and gets 4 normally. my gold accounts are too full to test that and dont feel like deleting and redoing aa etc later...so...should get at least 4.  have u tried, and successfully gotten over 3 copies?

Old 09-20-2012, 03:08 AM   #16
Ashlie

Loremaster

I wasn't able to get past namexx, but I hit 7 toons.

Is that going to be the beta limit, or will we have as many slots as we do on live? Because 7 slots doesn't cover all the possible crafters for those who have them all and will want to test the stuff for all the various tradeskills. Or will they have to copy and test, then delete and copy more to get all the tradeskill professions tested? And I know there should be some testing for all the trades since they are getting more levels and prestige abilities with the expansion.

Edit:

I did some more testing. The max toons seems to be equal to the number of toon slots you have on live. I was able to copy over more than 7 toons, but I couldn't get any of the them past Namexx. But why would you want more than three copies of the same toon?

Old 09-20-2012, 03:47 AM   #17
ArtemisClyde

Loremaster

well, *i* wouldnt, i was just testing SMILEY but, some may wish to xfer status that way until/unless they add a guild buffer SMILEY
Old 09-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #18
RandomWalk

Tester

[email protected] wrote:

I did some more testing. The max toons seems to be equal to the number of toon slots you have on live. I was able to copy over more than 7 toons, but I couldn't get any of the them past Namexx. But why would you want more than three copies of the same toon?

I wouldn't want more than thee copies of the same toon but if I wanted to beta copy one of my toons that shared the same name as a toon on another server already copied I would not be happy if that didn't work.  I'm struggling to explain this so here is an example:

Guk.Toon - copies as Toon

Everfrost.Toon - copies as Toonx

Test.Toon - copies as Toonxx

What would happen when Splitpaw.Toon tries to copy?  Will it work?  Clearly at this time it is not possible to test.  And it does happen - one beta I copied Aeriel over and she was Aerielxxxx (I think) and when I logged in got an invite to a guild who were expecting their friend Aeriel to arrive.  It wasn't me.  They kindly let me stay.

Having access to guild hall facilities, especially travel bells etc and a harvest depot/crafting machines for tradeskillers makes the testing process so much easier so I support the suggestion of having a guild buffer on beta.

Aeriel

RandomWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #19
ZUES

Loremaster

This is good news. But what would make it better news if if you never open up the beta server without putting Old Man Dave and all the buff bots in. Cant they just be hard wired into the server data and removed before they get sent to live?

The buff bots let us ACCURATLEY test changes that are coming to the game. There are situational things that need to be taken into account if you only allow /copy. Example: my main is a zerker, my guild doesnt need a zerker so he never gets raid gear. So I raid with my coercer. The gear I have on my zerker isn't exactly stellar, but by no fault of my own. I want to test zerker changes. I want to test and raid with my zerker (on beta) because I hate playing the coercer. Situations like this warrant a gear buff bot so that I can test on the character of my choosing. Besides, who cares.... it's never going live? And if we are requesting this and if we are testing YOUR data for free, why wouldn't you just give us what we ask for? I don't understand why every time beta or something goes on testcopy that we have to beg you for buff bots.

ZUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #20
Soresha

Tester

Terrogaunt wrote:

Soresha wrote:

It looks like the reason for this is because I'm generating names based on a known map of characters. If you've never logged in a particular character, it won't know to append another x since that one hasn't shown up in this valid character list. (which I'll probably need to fix, really)

When it goes to attempt to create a new character, the name is already taken so it doesn't make it. Go ahead and try logging in your character to see if it let's you copy again.

Hmm. Having the 2nd, 3rd etc. copy not show up is confusing so I'd agree with making it a bit cleverer if possible.

I guess normally you'd have done some testing (ie logged in) before wanting a 2nd copy. But maybe not always. Being able to use /beta to generate multiple copies at once might be useful. And if you're silly enough to spam it 20 times, then you're just going to hit the character limit and it'll do nothing.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #21
Soresha

Tester

ZUES wrote:

This is good news. But what would make it better news if if you never open up the beta server without putting Old Man Dave and all the buff bots in. Cant they just be hard wired into the server data and removed before they get sent to live?

The buff bots let us ACCURATLEY test changes that are coming to the game. There are situational things that need to be taken into account if you only allow /copy. Example: my main is a zerker, my guild doesnt need a zerker so he never gets raid gear. So I raid with my coercer. The gear I have on my zerker isn't exactly stellar, but by no fault of my own. I want to test zerker changes. I want to test and raid with my zerker (on beta) because I hate playing the coercer. Situations like this warrant a gear buff bot so that I can test on the character of my choosing. Besides, who cares.... it's never going live? And if we are requesting this and if we are testing YOUR data for free, why wouldn't you just give us what we ask for? I don't understand why every time beta or something goes on testcopy that we have to beg you for buff bots.

In general I'd agree we could do with a few auto-spawning standard buff bot NPCs. Both the adventuring and tradeskill ones, stick them on several docks and in time people will learn it's where they always are.

It is possible to have NPCs that only spawn on particular servers (Test has the bookworm for example) but I accept it would take someone a bit of time to script that into existence.

And they would still need updating occasionally with fresh buff packages and gear to match level increases, so it's not like that would be the end of it. But hopefully if the setup to spawn them were done, changing the level bump and items sold wouldn't be too much work?

There are also times devs will want test conditions that don't involve uber buff bots. Testing beastlords was one example, they had good reason not to let people skip the lower levels at first. And obviously for the next beta and testing the level increase to 95 they're not going to give a bot that skips you straight to 95 and hands out the 95 raid gear, because you need to test the new zone at 92 in current live gear. But I think a standard buff bot that matched current live max level and gear would be safe, because it would naturally lag behind whatever increases you were testing.

One to add to the wishlist please. SMILEY

Old 09-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #22
Finora

Tester

Okay, after seeing people say they were having issues getting multiple copies to beta, I tried some today.

I have a Finora I copied from live already on beta. I copied Test Finora the day this new tool was announced, so she is Finorax. Today I copied another from test giving me Finoraxx.

However, despite having logged in, zoned and ran around a bit on each of the copies on Beta, I could not get a fourth Finora to copy. So it seems there is some issue there. If anyone else happened to want to copy their own Finora would their copy fail too? I know there was at least one in game at one point that wasn't me.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #23
Rocc

Loremaster

ZUES wrote:

This! I agree 110%. Please keep the buff bots in testcopy or "beta" indefinitely. They are a very handy tool for testing new content.

Rocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #24
Terrogaunt

Developer

You know, it very well could be that having "xxx" in your name is hitting the naming filter... lol

Old 09-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #25
Finora

Tester

Hah, could be.

Maybe add a "y" to kick in after the first 2 "x"? 

I know eq1 at one point in mergers used "a" as well as "x" during one of the mergers a long while back. I ended up with one char with an x tacked on and another with an a at the end.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #26
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

That is an awesome patch! Testing now.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #27
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

Hordolin Awanagin wrote:

That is an awesome patch! Testing now.

erm. not so awesome. awesome idea. not awesome implementation.

Ohoh toon on Test and a previous copy of Ohoh on beta. Copy from character select properly deleted the Ohoh on Beta but created Ohohx. further testing incoming.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #28
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

Copy request from character select on Test.No previous copy on Beta.Copied with original name.Copy request of same character from Test.Deleted original name and added the copy with x at the end.Copy again from Test.Deleted the name with the x and copied with original name.

Only other observation is the character I copied was in Gorowyn guild hall and the copies were moved to Neriak. I'm pretty sure this character had his home zone in Freeport but not positive.

Did all of the copies from character select. Never entered the game between steps.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #29
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

Doing /beta in game has the same effect on the names but the character on the destination reads Guild Hall instead of Neriak. Logging in loading screen and destination are Darklight Wood (previously the character had gone into darklight wood, did moonlight enchantment zone, zoned out, called to guild hall). It put me back where I called to guild hall from.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #30
Hordolin Awanagin

Tester

Not relavent to the topic but pass it along, new copies first login do not autojoin channels. Relog and then the channels autojoin.