EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #31
Caernarvon

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Ok, camped to character select to go and watch the football, and arrive back to find I'd lost connection.  Fair enough, I launch the launcher, only to find its randomly decided to start using the streaming client, and I can't seem to find anyway to turn it off.What the heck is happening?  Oh and I've seen foreign languages on the launcher a fair bit recently too.Disturbingly shoddy and I hope it gets fixed up soon.

Problem seems to have resolved itself.Very disconcerting however.

Caernarvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #32
Jacquestrap

Loremaster

I just went to login and noticed the launcher needs to completely re-download all 14 GB. I'm watching my EQ2 install steadily grow from 14 GB to now 17 and climbing. I can't fathom why it needs to completely re-download the entire client.

I recently returned to the game hoping things had improved but the lack of communication surrounding this game is astounding.

Jacquestrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #33
Jacquestrap

Loremaster

I've been poking around trying to figure out where all these files are going to explain why my EQ2 install folder is growing (doubling) in size. They are going into the assetcache folder in 2 GB chunks named asset1.vdb, asset2.vdb, etc.

Jacquestrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #34
Caernarvon

Loremaster

Jacquestrap wrote:

I just went to login and noticed the launcher needs to completely re-download all 14 GB. I'm watching my EQ2 install steadily grow from 14 GB to now 17 and climbing. I can't fathom why it needs to completely re-download the entire client.

I recently returned to the game hoping things had improved but the lack of communication surrounding this game is astounding.

See my 2 posts above.FWIW, I just closed the launcher and sat it out 5 or 10 minutes and launched again and it resolved itself, the same has happened before with foreign languages on the launcher.Whatever it is that's causing these problems are on SOE's side, and its been happening here and there for awhile now, I have a guildmate who had the same issue too, and she ended up having the streaming client, then had to later download the whole client again.This really needs to be fixed, I would have been really displeased had I got distracted during login to find the whole client had downloaded again or any sizeable chunk of that 14GB had downloaded.  Please fix whatever it is that is causing this as a priority.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #35
ratbast

Loremaster

i had forced streaming as well. solution for me was on "Select Game Version" tab, check "full download".
ratbast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #36
Caernarvon

Loremaster

ratbast wrote:

i had forced streaming as well. solution for me was on "Select Game Version" tab, check "full download".

I had changed that too, but wasn't sure if it was *that* that fixed anything for me, as it still started to stream after starting up the launcher again.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #37
TikiwaWatiki

Loremaster

well now there's no checkbox for it to remeber my password, and it switched to streaming.  Also still having to enter in my password.

TikiwaWatiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #38
Windstalker

Senior Staff

Thanks for posting details guys.  It helps.  Our operations team is actively digging into this.

Producer

EverQuest II
Windstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #39
Shruen
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Obsidian Knights

Loremaster

Add me to the list of screwups.  Most of it was managable.  I can deal with the launcher reloading, can deal with input of password each time, can even deal with the language thing (just click the english thing down on bottom and that fixes itself instantly), but this switching to streaming has to go.  I have an absolute hatred for the streaming client, and I do not want the game to keep downloading files that already exists and was working fine about three hours ago.  That was when I last played with no issues as far as the streaming goes.

Btw add this to the list.  Now when you go to switch account to type in password, where it kept my name in there now the name is listed as [Object][Object] and like 15 * for the password and I have to clear that out and type in current.

Tried suggestion I saw here of selecting full download.  Then closed launcher and opened it back up and no longer streaming.

Shruen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #40
Lempo

Loremaster

TikiwaWatiki wrote:

well now there's no checkbox for it to remeber my password, and it switched to streaming.  Also still having to enter in my password.

This was the resolution to the people complaining about the save password not working, the checkbox was removed and the launcher broken in the process. Why do you do it SOE? it seemed that there was an effort to take some steps forward only to be marred by this.

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #41
Lempo

Loremaster

Windstalker wrote:

Thanks for posting details guys.  It helps.  Our operations team is actively digging into this.

I implore you to ask them to consider testing it this go around.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #42
ratbast

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

TikiwaWatiki wrote:

This was the resolution to the people complaining about the save password not working, the checkbox was removed and the launcher broken in the process. Why do you do it SOE? it seemed that there was an effort to take some steps forward only to be marred by this.

i was glad to see them working on this. the login process of old was inferior. i hope they keep their commitment to improving it, not giving up.

removal of the 'save password' box is not encouraging.

ratbast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #43
noluuk

Loremaster

I just posted about this on the tech forum and might as well here too. Getting the [object object] thing now as well. Nice try guys  *sigh*

noluuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #44
Windstalker

Senior Staff

We got word from the team.  A change/fix is in process and will likely not go out tonight in terms of timing.  I wanted to let you know.

As far as what is deliberate and what isn't, they are reviewing customer concerns that will balance security improvements as well as convenience.  

Producer

EverQuest II
Windstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #45
noluuk

Loremaster

So we'll be having to log in every time we want to play now much like having to log in to the forums if we wish to interact with the community..brilliant !

Old 06-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #46
BeeJay

Loremaster

Windstalker wrote:

We got word from the team.  A change/fix is in process and will likely not go out tonight in terms of timing.  I wanted to let you know.

As far as what is deliberate and what isn't, they are reviewing customer concerns that will balance security improvements as well as convenience.  

Just to let you know, logged in this morning (9:15 UK - 01:15 PDT) and it SEEMS to have been fixed.

BeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #47
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

Windstalker wrote:

When this started I lost the ability to purchase xfer tokens as well.  Anyone else?

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #48
Dethdlr
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Advent of Valor

Fansite Staff

Thanks for poping in to give us an update.  I've got a question though:

Windstalker wrote:

Any chance of clarifying that?  Cause this is pretty much how it reads:

Windstalker may as well have wrote:

As far as what is deliberate and what isn't, they are reviewing customer concerns that will balance security improvements as well as convenience I'm not going to tell you.  

SMILEY  Did they remove the remember password checkbox on purpose?  Will it be returning eventually?

Windstalker could have wrote:

As far as what is deliberate and what isn't, they are reviewing customer concerns that will balance security improvements as well as convenience.  There were some concerns about the remember password checkbox and once those have been addressed, the option will be returning.  I don't have a good ETA at this time but it is in the works.

Is that possibly what's going on?  /crossfingers

Thanks!

EQ2U Lead Programmer |Dethdlr's Adornment Calculator | EQ2Wire.com Columnist

Dethdlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #49
Mermut

Loremaster

Windstalker wrote:

This implies that the biggest security risk to people's account is somebody the player knows who has access to their physical computer logs into their account from that computer and does things to their account. Somehow I don't think that is a big source of any 'security breaches' related to player accounts being stolen...

Old 06-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #50
Tylia
Guild: Test of Time

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Thanks for poping in to give us an update.  I've got a question though:

Windstalker wrote:

Any chance of clarifying that?  Cause this is pretty much how it reads:

Windstalker may as well have wrote:

As far as what is deliberate and what isn't, they are reviewing customer concerns that will balance security improvements as well as convenience I'm not going to tell you.  

Did they remove the remember password checkbox on purpose?  Will it be returning eventually?

Windstalker could have wrote:

As far as what is deliberate and what isn't, they are reviewing customer concerns that will balance security improvements as well as convenience.  There were some concerns about the remember password checkbox and once those have been addressed, the option will be returning.  I don't have a good ETA at this time but it is in the works.

Is that possibly what's going on?  /crossfingers

Thanks!

The checkbox is still there on my launcher.  I've never used the checkbox, but it's still there.

Tylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #51
TikiwaWatiki

Loremaster

woo hoo it's fixed for me!  tell whoever fixed it, "thank you!".

TikiwaWatiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #52
Lempo

Loremaster

I was a bit perplexed be her statement there as well Dethdlr.

It isn't rocket science, it doesn't take a lot of thought to figure it out.

• The game uses a browser based login.
  • The remember password option was removed from the forums.
  • The expiration of the cookie was changed as well (nothing to do with remember password)
  • The option in the LP was clearly removed to be consistant with the browser.

They can not justify bringing one back without the other, as leaving either on invalidates any claim they make on the increased security. Only 2 things can happen here they both come back or both stay gone, there is no middle ground.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #53
Lizabethan

Philosopher

[email protected] wrote:

• The expiration of the cookie was changed as well (nothing to do with remember password)

They can not justify bringing one back without the other, as leaving either on invalidates any claim they make on the increased security. Only 2 things can happen here they both come back or both stay gone, there is no middle ground.

Was also thinking this same thing. But why remove the ability to stay logged into LP now?

Old 06-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #54
noluuk

Loremaster

11:00 am est 6/20 and still borked. And yes Lempo that would seem the natural progression of logic for them.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #55
Lempo

Loremaster

TikiwaWatiki wrote:

woo hoo it's fixed for me!  tell whoever fixed it, "thank you!".

In what sense is it fixed?

It has not swapped me back to streaming after 5 times of opening, launching game closing and restarting, so in that aspect it is working right.

It is not fixed in any sense of the word. Selecting any of the account names I have saved (never used the save p/w functionality of the launcher) populates the user name with [Object] [Object] and the password box is populated with asterisks. I deleted all stored station names and closed the LP, opened LP and put in my station name and password logged in and launched game. closed game, opened LP selected my name in the stored list and the same [object] [ Object] returned.

It would be one thing if they made a post saying the patcher was updated and you got the following, instead it was a ninja change but at least we have some form of communication from them.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #56
Lempo

Loremaster

Lizabethan wrote:

Was also thinking this same thing. But why remove the ability to stay logged into LP now?

I'm not sure but I tend to think that it had something to do with recent threads touting the capability of doing so, and wanting to know why they couldn't do the same on the forums.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #57
Dethdlr

Fansite Staff

[email protected] wrote:

I see your point.  I just hope that isn't what they're thinking. 

The forum code is so odd, old, and partially broken (gotten an email notification lately or tried to search for something a bit old?)  that I'm not sure any true conclusions can be drawn based on what we see happening with them.   

The Launchpad code on the other hand is fairly new.  Hopefully they'll get is straightened out.  I just wish we didn't have to rely on a magic 8 ball to find out what the plan is.  SMILEY

Old 06-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #58
Jrral

Loremaster

Mermut wrote:

This implies that the biggest security risk to people's account is somebody the player knows who has access to their physical computer logs into their account from that computer and does things to their account. Somehow I don't think that is a big source of any 'security breaches' related to player accounts being stolen...

Ditto. So far the biggest sources of password compromise that I've seen seem to be:

1. Using the same password for both the Station account and accounts on other sites, so that a compromise elsewhere compromises the Station account.
  2. Social-engineering attacks convincing users to simply give the attackers the Station account password.
  3. Malware and keyloggers intercepting passwords as they're typed in.
  4. Compromises of the Sony servers, such as last year's password breach or the Playstaton Network breaches (which are also likely candidates for #1, people are more likely to use the same password when the two accounts are with the same company).

I don't see how forcing entry of the password every time will reduce the likelihood of those compromises. In fact for #s 2 and 3 forcing entry every time increases the likelihood of a compromise by making requests for the password routine and accepted by users and providing more opportunities for a keylogger or malware to see the password being typed.

Jrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #59
Yimway

Loremaster

I really have only one comment for this.

When a client is switched from Full to Streaming, under no conditions what-so-ever should the pak folder (14 gigs) be deleted.  No Pak file from a full client should EVER be deleted until the full streaming version of that Pak file has been updated.

You've got some pretty serious issues in how you've designed this dual version client, serious enough that you shouldn't have released it and remained with independent full and streaming cleints.

A patchers should never, ever, delete 14gigs of valid pak files.  This is the primary issue here as the time and cost to your players from this happening is significant.  If this were to happen to me while I'm traveling, it could easily cost me 70 bucks do download that 14gig cause your patcher decided to flip on its own accord to streaming.

The action of switching streaming vs full should never remove up to date complete pak files.  Ever.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #60
Dethdlr

Fansite Staff

[email protected] wrote:

I really have only one comment for this.

When a client is switched from Full to Streaming, under no conditions what-so-ever should the pak folder (14 gigs) be deleted.  No Pak file from a full client should EVER be deleted until the full streaming version of that Pak file has been updated.

You've got some pretty serious issues in how you've designed this dual version client, serious enough that you shouldn't have released it and remained with independent full and streaming cleints.

A patchers should never, ever, delete 14gigs of valid pak files.  This is the primary issue here as the time and cost to your players from this happening is significant.  If this were to happen to me while I'm traveling, it could easily cost me 70 bucks do download that 14gig cause your patcher decided to flip on its own accord to streaming.

The action of switching streaming vs full should never remove up to date complete pak files.  Ever.

I wonder what the secret combination is to make it do that or not do that.  I had several guildmates last night log on and see the little dragon that means you're using the streaming client.  Each one did the following:

1. Logoff
  2. Close Launchpad (if needed)
  3. Run Launchpad
  4. Log in (don't click Play)
  5. Go to Advanced Settings
  6. Click on Game Version (or whatever it's called)
  7. Click the checkbox for Full Download)

Once they did that, they were back to running the full client in a few minutes.  None of them had to redownload the 14 gigs.  I wonder why sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.