EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #1021
Vasharyn

Loremaster

So wait - what happens when ProSiebenSat.1 at some point decide they're no longer interested in supporting EQ2 - what happens to my EQ2 characters that have been forceably transferred off of my Station Account to their account platform? Will they disappear forever? What about all the stuff I bought from the station store, that's gone? All the progress I made over YEARS, is all that GONE?

This whole thing is a betrayal. There's no other word for it. 

Vasharyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #1022
hexalobular

Lord

Vasharyn wrote:

So wait - what happens when ProSiebenSat.1 at some point decide they're no longer interested in supporting EQ2 - what happens to my EQ2 characters that have been forceably transferred off of my Station Account to their account platform? Will they disappear forever? What about all the stuff I bought from the station store, that's gone? All the progress I made over YEARS, is all that GONE?

This whole thing is a betrayal. There's no other word for it. 

Well, according to the current plan, P7S1 are just going to handle the customer support, the servers will still be run

by SOE,and all that information must be stored on SOE's servers and it shouldn't be any problem for SOE to transfer

them back again.

hexalobular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #1023
Caethre

Loremaster

(( The underlying problem is this.

The overwhelming majority of the european playerbase do not want this "deal" at all.

That's basically it. But SOE are going to force it through anyway. So SOE then saying "we are listening" is meaningless if they are just going to do what almost all of us are against regardless of anything we say ))

Lady Lorianna Ardinwena [92/320 Monk|92 Carpenter](Koada`Dal)

Lady Suzanna Narinyaare [92/320 Conjuror|92 Woodworker](Koada`Dal)

Lady Annaelisa Lorinfinlinde [92/320 Fury|92 Tailor](Koada`Dal)

Lady Silvianna [92/320 Illusionist|92 Jeweler](Koada`Dal)

Jennianna [92/320 Dirge|92 Weaponsmith](Koada`Dal)

Aurielle [92/320 Wizard|92 Alchemist](Koada`Dal)

Valerianna [92/320 Guardian|92 Armourer](Koada`Dal)

Sarahanna [92/320 Swashbuckler|92 Provisioner](Koada`Dal)

Katherianna [92/286 Beserker|92 Sage](Koada`Dal)

Guildleader of The True Path - A roleplay-based guild (level 77) on Antonia Bayle
Caethre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #1024
Merk

Loremaster

Many players may allready asked this several times, but:Will they bring back SOE All Acess for european players? If so, when?Is there any new news on this topic, or is it a dead end as it has allways been?

Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #1025
Pipsissiwa

Loremaster

Merk wrote:

Many players may allready asked this several times, but:Will they bring back SOE All Acess for european players? If so, when?Is there any new news on this topic, or is it a dead end as it has allways been?

As much info as we have atm:

Apparently (according to SOE who love legal get-out clause semantics) All Access is a 'Promotional Offer' despite being a standard subscripton option for many years and thus they can remove it at will without it constituting an account change etc etc.

Basically its up to PSS1 to offer All Access to Europeans if they want to as part of their pricing strategy. They 'like the idea' but there is no more firm information than that yet.  And all sub prices will be 'similar' so its anyones guess what costs will actually be.  PSS1 will set all pricing and bundles/recurring sub discounts/1 month/3 month/6 month/year sub offers etc for European customers.  So we could potentially get no offers/discounts at all.

The worst part of this is (and this was stated clearly by SOE a while ago now) that even if PSS1 decide to offer an All Access equivalent, it will only be able to include those games that have gone to PSS1, so (for example) it won't include EQ1.  Thus European people who play (eg) EQ1 and EQ2 will have to pay separately, regardless of whether PSS1 offer an All Access or not.   And this is the most common game combo.

So new Euros customers/those currently without All Access will still be finacially screwed if they want to play certain game combos. 

On a side note,I wonder if anyone have the guts to raise the PSS1 issue publically at E3, especially since PS2 (which will be with PSS1 for Euros) got so lauded?  I seriously doubt it.

Peace and Solidarity

Played Since Launch: Highkeep/Butcherblock

Ratonga 92 Assassin/92 Carpenter

Fuse Guild Leader

"Everquester"

"I won't sit down, I won't shut up, but most of all I will not grow up" - Frank Turner
Pipsissiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #1026
redwoodtreesprite

Loremaster

Pipsissiwa wrote:

Apparently (according to SOE who love legal get-out clause semantics) All Access is a 'Promotional Offer' despite being a standard subscripton option for many years and thus they can remove it at will without it constituting an account change etc etc.

Hmmm.  Got a gut feeling from what you were told by SOE, and just updated my non-european All Access Sub to a yearly one.  (It renews in 3 days.)  I recommend others do the same, as Sony may decide to stop offering it entirely once EQII switches to ProSieben for so many players.

redwoodtreesprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:42 AM   #1027
Madgincia

Loremaster

I wonder if PSS will honour sc subs that have not started yet. I am debating about buying a new gold sc sub but I still have 6 months to go on my existing sc sub, If I thought they would honour the new one when it starts in 6 months I would happily get one today rather than sub with them. I just will not give them a penny of my money

Madgincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #1028
Trevynoae

Loremaster

In case anybody is still interested in this topic:

I just happened to find an EQII commercial on TV. Ok - it is the "old" launch-trailer, maybe a little bit cut short or something, but that might be an indicator we can't be too far from transition anymore.

On the other hand - I wouldn't mind if they kept up with ads like that but stopped that insane idea of transfering our accounts SMILEY

Oh - and by the way, SOE ... I need to repeat myself: The OFFICIAL announcement you sent by mail a long time ago about the transition STILL is legally incorrect! The faulty translation is one thing - but you left out many many countries (including Germany).So by now your official "notification" so far did NOT tell germans nor those friends in austria or switzerland that they will be affected. Authorities are after Blizzard here in germany because of something like that (incorrect / missing information) currently - so I thought it might be a good idea to let you know again (!) that you accidently distributed faulty information ;-(

Trevynoae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #1029
theriatis

Loremaster

A few hours after the trailer ran FOR THE FIRST TIME i checked the Number of Players on our Server, Levels 1-10.

SIXTY-********-THREE.

I think thats more than all starting players (including twinks) in the Last Year.

Oh SoE, what have you done. If just ONE Single Ad in TV gets us 63 new Players (give or take), what could an Ad Campaign have done for this game in the past years ?

Now, get on the train and get the translation done, at least for the Levels 1-50. There are low level quests which are not translated and thats a BAD impression. (Like it was when the game started).

Regards, theriatis.

i need a good laugh now and then, too
theriatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #1030
Wingrider01

Loremaster

theriatis wrote:

A few hours after the trailer ran FOR THE FIRST TIME i checked the Number of Players on our Server, Levels 1-10.

SIXTY-********-THREE.

I think thats more than all starting players (including twinks) in the Last Year.

Oh SoE, what have you done. If just ONE Single Ad in TV gets us 63 new Players (give or take), what could an Ad Campaign have done for this game in the past years ?

Now, get on the train and get the translation done, at least for the Levels 1-50. There are low level quests which are not translated and thats a BAD impression. (Like it was when the game started).

Regards, theriatis.

given the per minute charges for creating, marketing and broadcasting a commercial - 3 or 4 times higher if you broadcast it in high usage times, 63 players in return for a single commercial is a poor ROI. At particlular times of broadcast, a 30 second commercial can cost up to 3 million dollars just to pay to have it broadcast

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #1031
Cronqar

Loremaster

Wingrider01 wrote:

theriatis wrote:

SIXTY-********-THREE.

Regards, theriatis.

given the per minute charges for creating, marketing and broadcasting a commercial - 3 or 4 times higher if you broadcast it in high usage times, 63 players in return for a single commercial is a poor ROI. At particlular times of broadcast, a 30 second commercial can cost up to 3 million dollars just to pay to have it broadcast

$3 Mill for 30 secs is a Superbowl $$$spot$$$, regular primetime, nationwide, is about 10% of this and depends on during what show it is run. Localized commercials, for example during local news, are a fraction of that $$$. And remember PSS1 is part of a TV Station, broadcaster thingy in Germany. Seeing 63 new players, what according to Theriatis is very unusual, a short time after that add was run should just show the potential of EQ2 with some advertisement done for it. Poor ROI? I don't think so since there probably was very little ""investment" necessary in broadcasting and producing it and the "return" with 63 new players checking the game out is rather significant.

Cronqar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #1032
Pipsissiwa

Loremaster

For reference: I have posted this (below) on the Alaplaya forums in response to Coldor again telling us everything will be fine and not to worry.  I get a lot of questions from guildies and random European players on my server (who obviously recognise my name hehe) and these questions are a combo of various people's remarks, questions and concerns.

"I have some questions, both from myself and guildies:Why do (just we Euros) we need a new launcher etc etc for you to do this - surely this could be kept behind the scenes as pretty much every other game does. This whole thing should all be all but invisible to customers. At most we should ALL (Euro and US) get the same new launcher and then we just choose SOE login or PSS1 login as some other games have done. If that is how other companies do it, even when they involve a third party as publisher in an established game, I don't see why this situation is any different. Why is this being implemented in such as way as to making the playerbase feel split, even though we are all apparently going to be still playing the same game on the same servers run by the same company? Regardless of your/SOEs intentions, this is how the playerbase FEELS and that should be important. Even if everything goes smoothly that feeling of segregation isn't going to go away. It still feels like we are being cast aside by SOE, and we are very worried that Euros will have a different game experience despite playing on those same servers as (for example) content in the shop/currency etc will be different, not to mention subscription options/prices and 'incentives' like the 500SC stipend. None of us want that. We want the same experience in the same game for the same money as everyone else. Fairness and equality. Just for once can someone listen to the PAYING players/customers in advance rather than realising too late? Please learn from SOE and don't copy them. Why do we even need yet more forums if we can all still access and post to the SOE ones where we have direct contact with devs, guides and ALL fellow players, not just European ones? What would be the point of the PSS1 ones? Seems like a mammoth waste of money and effort to me, unless we are going to get blocked from the SOE forums in the future and thus feel even more unwanted as customers?I also have to ask why apparently (and I trust my fellow players on this as I don't speak German) there are some poor translations on the German EQ2 PSS1 site, and the SOE official email regarding the PSS1 transition of DCUO (which as you are partners one would assume you might have some say in the official emails about your new aquisitions) also has dreadful translations and missing countries. As PSS1 is a German company it is very worrying as we would assume that is the one language that would be correct? Many of us are worried about the quality and understandability of customer service in our own various languages if the company cannot get its own native language correct. As least US English is close enough to the real thing that I can understand them. It is much too late for 'don't worry' - we know what is happening, regardless of how lovely and shiny it will be - new launcher, new forums, new currency, new sub options/prices, localised shop content - and we don't want it or need it, so of course we will worry, and if those things happen we'll be right to."

No reply yet, will keep you all updated.  A meaningful reply from SOE (ie not a corporate-speak zero content one) would be nice too, but it won't happen.

Peace and Solidarity

Fuse Guild Leader

"Everquester"

"I won't sit down, I won't shut up, but most of all I will not grow up" - Frank Turner
Old 06-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #1033
Flidias

Seer

Trevynoae wrote:

Oh - and by the way, SOE ... I need to repeat myself: The OFFICIAL announcement you sent by mail a long time ago about the transition STILL is legally incorrect! The faulty translation is one thing - but you left out many many countries (including Germany).So by now your official "notification" so far did NOT tell germans nor those friends in austria or switzerland that they will be affected. Authorities are after Blizzard here in germany because of something like that (incorrect / missing information) currently - so I thought it might be a good idea to let you know again (!) that you accidently distributed faulty information ;-(

You got an official announcement? When did those get sent, I've never received anything "official" from SoE about this whole thing and I've made sure my addy is current and I regularly check my junk mail to make sure things don't slip through. Maybe another mess up from the communication department?

Flidias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #1034
Trevynoae

Loremaster

Flidias wrote:

Trevynoae wrote:

Oh - and by the way, SOE ... I need to repeat myself: The OFFICIAL announcement you sent by mail a long time ago ...

You got an official announcement? When did those get sent, I've never received anything "official" from SoE about this whole thing and I've made sure my addy is current and I regularly check my junk mail to make sure things don't slip through. Maybe another mess up from the communication department?

Let me help you

I happen to still have it in my inbox although I chalked this whole mess up a while ago and just monitor how things are going.

Mail was sent/received 2012 April 27th at 23:55 Berlin

Topic: Erinnerung an unsere europäischen Spieler: Die DC Universe Online Übertragung wird bald stattfinden.

Mitteilung des Kundendienstes - Erinnerung
   Mitteilung des Kundendienstes
ERINNERUNG
Liebe Helden und Schurken,
Eine aufregende Zeit in der Geschichte von SOE bricht an und wir freuen uns diesen Moment mit euch, den leidenschaftlichen DC Universe Online fans, feiern zu können. Wie viele von euch bereits wissen, sind SOE und ProSiebenSat.1 Games eine Partnerschaft eingegangen, um den europäischen Spielern acht Spiele des U.S. Spieleentwicklerstudios anbieten zu können. Dabei handelt es sich um DC Universe™ Online, EverQuest® II, Star Wars®: Clone Wars Adventures™, Free Realms®, Magic: The Gathering – Tactics®, PoxNora®, das kommende PlanetSide® 2 und die Fortsetzung vom EverQuest® Franchise.
Die oben genannten SOE Spiele werden von ProSiebenSat.1 Games in mehr als 40 europäischen Ländern, einschließlich Albanien, Andorra, Österreich, Belgien, Bosnien und Herzegowina, Bulgarien, Kroatien, Zypern, die Tschechische Republik und Slovakien, Slovenien, Spanien, Schweden, Schweiz, Türkei und Großbritannien angeboten. In Zukunft könnte es sein, dass andere Länder hinzugefügt werden.
Durch diese neue Partnerschaft mit SOE wird ProSiebenSat.1 Games daran arbeiten, die Präsenz der SOE-Spiele im europäischen Markt zu erhöhen. Dadurch könnt ihr mit mehr Spielern und einer fokussierte Betreuung von internationalen Spielern rechnen!
Dieser Übergang wird in Kürze mit DC Universe Online beginnen, welches das erste Spiel ist, dass von ProSiebenSat. 1 Games angeboten wird. In den nächsten 30 bis 60 Tage werden wir den Prozess des Übergangs der DC Universe Online-Kunden zu ProSiebenSat. 1 Games in den oben genannten europäischen Ländern beginnen.
Sobald dieser Übergang stattfindet, werden DC Universe Online-Spieler, in den oben genannten europäischen Ländern, neue Konten mit ProSiebenSat.1 Games erstellen müssen, um DC Universe Online spielen zu können. Die europäischen Spieler, die ihr existierendes SOE-Konto und ihre Charakterdaten transferieren möchten, müssen ihr SOE-Konto mit ihrem ProSiebenSat.1 Games-Konto verbinden. Wir werden euch diesbezüglich eine weitere E-mail mit genauen Anweisungen senden, sobald die Vorbereitungen der Übertragung fertiggestellt sind.
Die übertragenen Spieler, die vorausbezahlt und nicht wiederkehrend sind, werden automatisch zu ProSiebenSat.1 übertragen, sodass diese Spieler jegliche verbleibende Spielzeit nutzen können. Die übertragenen Spieler, die vorausbezahlt und wiederkehrend sind, werden ihre verbleibende Spielzeit automatisch zu ProSiebenSat.1 Games übertragen bekommen, aber die Mitgliedschaft wird nicht automatisch verlängert. Die Spieler werden sich bei ProSiebenSat.1 Games anmelden müssen, sobald die Mitgliedschaft abläuft, um dort eine ähnliche Mitgliedschaft fortzuführen.
Wir sind sehr dankbar eine solch vielfältige und leidenschaftliche Community zu haben und wir wollen euch vergewissern, dass SOE weiterhin die DC Universe Online Welt erweitern wird. Der Grund für diese E-mail besteht darin euch mitzuteilen, dass der Übergang von DC Universe Online kurz bevorsteht. Haltet bitte eure Augen für die nächste Mitteilung offen, denn dort werden wir euch detailliert erklären wie ihr euer DC Universe Online Konto zu ProSiebenSat.1 Games übertragen könnt.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sony Online Entertainment& ProSiebenSat.1 Games
DIES IST EINE MITTEILUNG DES KUNDENDIENSTES
SOE Datenschutzrichtlinien | SOE Nutzungsbedingungen
DC UNIVERSE ONLINE software © 2012 Sony Online Entertainment LLC. Alle anderen Elemente © 2012 DC Comics. SOE und das SOE Logo sind eingetragene Handelsmarken von Sony Online Entertainment GmbH. "PlayStation" und das "PS" Familienlogo sind eingetragene Marken und "PS3" und das PlayStation-Network-Logo sind Marken von Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Die Kennzeichnungen sind eine registrierte Handelsmarke der Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.
DC UNIVERSE und alle damit im Zusammenhang stehenden Charaktere und Elemente sind Handelsmarken von und © DC Comics. WB GAMES LOGO, WB SHIELD: TM & © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. (s12)
Sony Online Entertainment LLC
8928 Terman Court - San Diego, CA 92121

So - this thing really is an official "Reminder" (yes - they called it REMINDER).

At least Germany is not on the list of affected countries.If you compare it to the original mail in english (which I didn't get, but had to look it up here on the boards when someone else posted it) you could easily identify that translation didn't do the content any good here.

This was also around the time when Brasse mentioned that nobody has to worry about "conversion fees" or conversion in general because everbody will pay in euro. I took the german mail and put up a list that details what countries do have the euro and which don't. That was when I found that something must be wrong - and started to compare it to the english mail. (you should be able to find this table somewhere at the beginning of this thread *smile*)

But - reading this again ... they gave a timeframe of "next 30 - 60 days" they will begin DCUO transition. So ... 27th April ... makes 27 June latest (!) ... so ... just about 9 days left (at maximum) before they will start DCUO transition.So far I did not receive any mail telling me that Germany will be affected by that!

"In den nächsten 30 bis 60 Tage werden wir den Prozess des Übergangs der DC Universe Online-Kunden zu ProSiebenSat. 1 Games in den oben genannten europäischen Ländern beginnen."

So - to put it blunt: They don't follow their own "30 days in advance notice"-rule - at least not by judging them on their translated localized emails. Germany was not on the list of affected countries - so everybody here in Germany did NOT get the warning they are always pointing at (unless they got the english mail).

Old 06-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #1035
Trevynoae

Loremaster

ok - to give you even more input about this SMILEY

The english version of the "Reminder" was posted here by Vakky: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...=516732#5750963

The list invalidating the statement that all countries affected are using the euro and so there won't be any conversion rates / fees I posted here: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...=516732#5752581

And to make it more visible why I call this german version "bogus" is the list of countries:

The german email lists those countries:Albanien, Andorra, Österreich, Belgien, Bosnien und Herzegowina, Bulgarien, Kroatien, Zypern, die Tschechische Republik und Slovakien, Slovenien, Spanien, Schweden, Schweiz, Türkei und Großbritannien angeboten.

while the english version has those:Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, and the United Kingdom.

So there is quite a difference and I could just say "hey - cool ... Germany is not on that list so I am fine" ... and then come here and complain once they force me to "move on to PSS1". And I would be right! They didn't give me any kind of "warning".

And german Office of Fair Trading doesn't like such things to happen. Like I mentioned - they are currently after Blizzard for something similiar (something not mentioned before you buy/activate the product or something like that ... would have to look it up).

But hey - we are not SOE nor are we PSS1. Maybe they don't want our "assistance" to help them to eradicate any mistakes ...

Old 06-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #1036
Wingrider01

Loremaster

Cronqar wrote:

Wingrider01 wrote:

theriatis wrote:

SIXTY-********-THREE.

Regards, theriatis.

$3 Mill for 30 secs is a Superbowl $$$spot$$$, regular primetime, nationwide, is about 10% of this and depends on during what show it is run. Localized commercials, for example during local news, are a fraction of that $$$. And remember PSS1 is part of a TV Station, broadcaster thingy in Germany. Seeing 63 new players, what according to Theriatis is very unusual, a short time after that add was run should just show the potential of EQ2 with some advertisement done for it. Poor ROI? I don't think so since there probably was very little ""investment" necessary in broadcasting and producing it and the "return" with 63 new players checking the game out is rather significant.

no matter - it is still way more expensive then what it will bring in - a single run at 10-12 grand for 30 seconds is not worth the paper and shot to blow it away, 6 to 10 times a night during prime time would be minimum market saturation so you are looking ay 60-70 thousand for one night run. How many of the 63 players where subscriptions? How many where free to play, how many will be there 10 days later? Again, no ROI, if the game was still pure subscriptopn based and the expansions where purchased then there might be a small justification, as long as it is f2p there is none.

You mention during commercials during local news - how many new gamers actually watch the news - given the current technology by a satillite provider of being able to comepletly bypass commericals on shows, this makes those commercials even more usleless. would speculate a portion of those new 63 players where alts of current players also, so factor that it to your calculation.

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #1037
Cronqar

Loremaster

Wingrider01 wrote:

Cronqar wrote:

Wingrider01 wrote:

theriatis wrote:

SIXTY-********-THREE.

Regards, theriatis.

no matter - it is still way more expensive then what it will bring in - a single run at 10-12 grand for 30 seconds is not worth the paper and shot to blow it away, 6 to 10 times a night during prime time would be minimum market saturation so you are looking ay 60-70 thousand for one night run. How many of the 63 players where subscriptions? How many where free to play, how many will be there 10 days later? Again, no ROI, if the game was still pure subscriptopn based and the expansions where purchased then there might be a small justification, as long as it is f2p there is none.

You mention during commercials during local news - how many new gamers actually watch the news - given the current technology by a satillite provider of being able to comepletly bypass commericals on shows, this makes those commercials even more usleless. would speculate a portion of those new 63 players where alts of current players also, so factor that it to your calculation.

sure, zero advertisement over the lifespan of the game was a real moneysaver than? Fortunately it is not your money they are spending, at least not yet.

Cronqar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #1038
Piestro

Community Relations

theriatis wrote:

SIXTY-********-THREE.

Regards, theriatis.

Would love to get a list of quests that I can pass on. It makes things much easier to track down and correct.

Regards,

EverQuest Community Relations Manager

Piestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #1039
Whilhelmina
Server: Storms
Guild: Les Furies d Innoruuk

Tester

[dreams mode on] It seems Smedley is coming down his pedestal, aloft in the skies, to bring some updates to questions, like Voice chat being broken.

It would be very nice if we could get some kind of update from him in this topic! [dreams mode off]

*goes back to sleep*

Piestro, giving you a list of broken quests for Valor or Storms could perhaps help, but it would be much better if /typo or speaking in the language boards to our community manager could work at last.

What's the point of trying to get translation right at last if nobody's reading the suggestions?

Whilhelmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #1040
Piestro

Community Relations

[email protected] wrote:

[dreams mode on] It seems Smedley is coming down his pedestal, aloft in the skies, to bring some updates to questions, like Voice chat being broken.

It would be very nice if we could get some kind of update from him in this topic! [dreams mode off]

*goes back to sleep*

Piestro, giving you a list of broken quests for Valor or Storms could perhaps help, but it would be much better if /typo or speaking in the language boards to our community manager could work at last.

What's the point of trying to get translation right at last if nobody's reading the suggestions?

I can't speak for how /typo works, I'm not familiar enough with the localization process. I can assure you though that our French and German CM's do read the forums. It's really really easy to miss specifics however, so in this case I can act as a backstop on this issue and catch things that may have fallen through the cracks.

That brings up another benefit of the ProSiebenSat.1 Games deal, in that it will be much easier to catch and address issues like this, since there will be more dedicated staff to localization specific issues and more CM resources for communities speaking languages other than English.

We'd really like to get as much stuff like this taken care of before hand though, so lists are greatly appreciated.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #1041
Imokles

Loremaster

Transition to ProSiebenSat1 can't be far off now as EQ2 is already listed on the ProSieben download games page: http://www.prosiebengames.de/everquest-2

I love how they list "Grand Fantasia" and "Fantasy Tennis" as similar games ("Ähnliche Games") on the right hand side...

Old 06-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #1042
Pipsissiwa

Loremaster

Piestro wrote:

That brings up another benefit of the ProSiebenSat.1 Games deal, in that it will be much easier to catch and address issues like this, since there will be more dedicated staff to localization specific issues and more CM resources for communities speaking languages other than English.

Another benefit?  What was the other one? None of us can see any and no real, tangible benefits have been pointed out yet by SOE.

All well and good, if it works.  Better localisation and CS for non-English speakers would be great but we shall see, given the apparant quality of German coming out of a German company atm....

Now give a good reason for the PSS1 deal for a native English language speaker as I am.  Currently I understand the game content and CS people (on the phone and typed) perfectly.  The UK doesn't get so bothered about the lack of a 'u' in 'armour' that we need localisation on it.   /sigh

Fuse Guild Leader

"Everquester"

Old 06-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #1043
Dethdlr
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Advent of Valor

Fansite Staff

Piestro wrote:

I can't speak for how /typo works, I'm not familiar enough with the localization process.

Any chance of running that down for us? 

You see, there's this command called /typo in the game that claims to let SOE know about a typo in the game.  The concept is that by doing /typo, the proper people get notified about said typo, and can actually fix it.

If this isn't the case anymore, any chance of getting someone to remap the /typo command to the /boggle command or something similar so players no longer waste their time reporting typos through a method that doesn't do any good?  SMILEY

EQ2U Lead Programmer |Dethdlr's Adornment Calculator | EQ2Wire.com Columnist

Dethdlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #1044
Piestro

Community Relations

[email protected] wrote:

Piestro wrote:

I can't speak for how /typo works, I'm not familiar enough with the localization process.

You see, there's this command called /typo in the game that claims to let SOE know about a typo in the game.  The concept is that by doing /typo, the proper people get notified about said typo, and can actually fix it.

If this isn't the case anymore, any chance of getting someone to remap the /typo command to the /boggle command or something similar so players no longer waste their time reporting typos through a method that doesn't do any good? 

I'm sure it is reviewed by someone, I'll look into it though and discuss the matter.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #1045
Lempo

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Piestro wrote:

If this isn't the case anymore, any chance of getting someone to remap the /typo command to the /boggle command or something similar so players no longer waste their time reporting typos through a method that doesn't do any good? 

Now I'm always going to give credit where credit is due and they did fix the Ally of Othmir.... Took > a year but I can't say it wasn't done.

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #1046
Lempo

Loremaster

Piestro wrote:

Would love to get a list of quests that I can pass on. It makes things much easier to track down and correct.

Regards,

There should not be a need for the players to pass a list of quests that have not been translated. The database *HAS* to be structured in some way stores the translated text in a field that can be looked up by a reference be it a code page ID, or just the language.

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #1047
Dethdlr

Fansite Staff

[email protected] wrote:

Now I'm always going to give credit where credit is due and they did fix the Ally of Othmir.... Took > a year but I can't say it wasn't done.

Well...  Actually...  That one got fixed due to an email I sent to someone on June 7th.  It was in the patch notes for the test server the next day. 

I know the devs WANT to fix the stuff that's messed up.  I'm just not convinced that the processes are in place to get the info to the right people in the right manner.  The devs can't be expected to spend their time pouring through the /typo reports.  So somebody needs to read through them, validate which ones are correct and which ones aren't, consolidate the list in some meaningful format, and get it to the designers so they can fix it.  The big question is, does that process work or has it been pseudo forgotten somehow?

Old 06-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #1048
Whilhelmina
Server: Storms
Guild: Les Furies d Innoruuk

Tester

Piestro wrote:

I'm sure it is reviewed by someone, I'll look into it though and discuss the matter.

The answer I got some years back from our french GM is that he was getting /petition, /bug and /typo and summed them up for the staff. It was some years back, so I'm not sure of if it's still true or not, but Spadaccino (our GM) was not known for exactly following the GM rules (he logged in game to do some role play and chat in the channels, and was always happy to solve a small problem by skipping the petition system). We loved him for that though, it was much friendlier on our small, underpopulated server (with twice more people around than now though)

Back on topic, I used to overload him with massive typo reports, worse one being the 351 typos I picked up when the spell name revamp was done (found only 17 while working in the exact same way with Aeralik on Test). He asked me to send the typos as /petition, double checked everything and then passed it directly to the translation team. We did manage to fix some very complex typos that way. I never had any success with typos before him nor after him. Screaming on the localisation boards for months helped a bit... but really, waiting months to fix major typos with the dungeon maker (all the effect objects were named "Amygdalien (Gardien)") doesn't really encourage to ask for typos fix.We're used to speak typonese and triple-check the mobs asked for in quests anyway... Or see dragonflies named "ducks"...And not to forget the great babblefish translations of the bristlebane run and such asking to gather candies for a frostfell elf.

[email protected] wrote:

There should not be a need for the players to pass a list of quests that have not been translated. The database *HAS* to be structured in some way stores the translated text in a field that can be looked up by a reference be it a code page ID, or just the language.

Well, anyway, all the quests in Velious that still have "XXX" as text in French should probably be easy to spot

On the PSS1 part... Well, will they indeed have a localisation team? Will the team localise in German or German and French? Will we get real GM/staff and not only the kind we saw recruited on alaplaya boards (were knowing French wasn't even asked for)?

On the TV add, was it on German TV? What good will german adds be for the other European countries?

Whilhelmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #1049
Dethdlr

Fansite Staff

Piestro wrote:

Thanks a bunch.  SMILEY

Old 06-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #1050
DemiGoth

Loremaster

Morgania434 wrote:

So basically it took you all 3 months to hammer out the no ip locks, instead you make it mandatory for EU customers to use pss1. Which 99% of them REFUSE to do and have stated so in many posts here. Everything else looks exactly the same, just longer sentences.

Oh and lets not forget that your Start date for this was YESTERDAY THE 29TH.

Seems like you all do KNOW how your playerbase would react.

Very sad day for EQ2.

p.s. Thank you for posting the new faq Piestro, this isn't directed at you, but at the Big Wigs who made the decision.

I just received the eMail myself and am VERY CONCERNED about the FORCED TRANSITION for EQ2 (and other SOE games). Reason is my experiences with similar transitions in the past for other MMO's.

Lineage II - Went from NCSoft to Innova for EU players. I didn't transfer because we had to start all over, but service Innova service is VERY BAD and the servers are close to dead.Aion - Went from NCSoft to GameForce. Kinda like Lineage II, but was somewhat more forced since all EU servers would be shut down. Now EU servers are almost desertedPerfect World International - Though not a real transition, there are servers hosted by other publishers (PWI has it's own EU servers as well), and those are deserted.

Basically, every transition to a EU publisher that I've seen/heard of makes people turn away from their games and they move on to a new one. Why..? Because we (EU players) want to have a choice to play on US or EU servers, and looking at EverQuest II, it's not so surprisingly, where the 3 EU servers (EN, FR & DE) are almost deserted while the US servers are very active and hold a lot of EU players.

IMO this is a very bad step for SOE to take, and I'm very sure that a FORCED TRANSITION will turn away a lot of players from EQ2. After all, SOE is now tearing up relations and guild people have made over the past 7 to 12 years, and these relations and guilds won't reestablish on the new EU servers.

DemiGoth is offline   Reply With Quote