EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > History and Lore
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 03:43 AM   #1
Grimlux

Loremaster
Grimlux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 465
Default

Queen Cristanos Thex is the Dark Elf Ruler of the... Dark Elves. King Tearis Thex is the High Elf ruler of the High Elves....

Discuss..

Grimlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:12 AM   #2
Wilde_Night

Loremaster
Wilde_Night's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,127
Default

Discuss what?  The Teir'Dal were made from the first Koada'Dal rulers... the Thex's.  The name is passed down now with both races as a sign of sovereignty.
__________________


Wilde_Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
Cusashorn

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cheeseland, USA
Posts: 14,919
Default

[email protected] wrote:
Discuss what?  The Teir'Dal were made from the first Koada'Dal rulers... the Thex's.  The name is passed down now with both races as a sign of sovereignty.

couldn't have said it better myself.

While there is some discussion for the High Elf side, it has been proven that the Dark Elves take on the name of Thex for the royal family, regardless of who they really are.

the High Elves, however... I'm not sure if it's been said if it really is still the actual Thex bloodline or not who is ruling.

Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
Majiere
Server: Antonia Bayle

Loremaster
Majiere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6
Default

well, there was a book in EQLive that stated that dark elves and high elves where once one race but they had a civil war among the elf-kind which resulted in the rebels being called high elves and the main faction being banished and called Dark Elves. The Wood Elves were just wild elves then.It was a little strange since it didn't follow the diety lore that was around for awhile.
Majiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Cusashorn

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cheeseland, USA
Posts: 14,919
Default

[email protected] wrote:
well, there was a book in EQLive that stated that dark elves and high elves where once one race but they had a civil war among the elf-kind which resulted in the rebels being called high elves and the main faction being banished and called Dark Elves. The Wood Elves were just wild elves then.It was a little strange since it didn't follow the diety lore that was around for awhile.
I'd like to see that. Sounds like fan-fiction to me, or the ramblings of some drunkard in the game.
Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
iceriven2

Loremaster
iceriven2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 632
Default

[email protected] wrote:
well, there was a book in EQLive that stated that dark elves and high elves where once one race but they had a civil war among the elf-kind which resulted in the rebels being called high elves and the main faction being banished and called Dark Elves. The Wood Elves were just wild elves then.It was a little strange since it didn't follow the diety lore that was around for awhile.
Its old eq1 beta lore, that was never put in game.   Forget the name but it was the war of the broken crown or something. It's a nice story but doesnt mean much. 
iceriven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Grimlux

Loremaster
Grimlux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 465
Default

I tried to find more information on this but came up empty handed. Bleh
Grimlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Mirander_1

Loremaster
Mirander_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,229
Default

Yeah, sounds like that whole Codex of War/First Fist of Light thing.  So, fake/defunct beta lore.
__________________
Mirander
90 Wizard
Unrest server
Mirander_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
Mary the Prophetess

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,472
Default

Caveat:

This should be taken with a very large grain of salt!

The War of the Broken Crown was not beta lore at all, but rather fan-fiction from the, (now infamous), First Fist of Light roleplay guild.

That being said, it has been circulated so widely and has been quoted and requoted for so long, that tiny bits and pieces of it have made their way into both official and semi-official lore.

Not the whole story, but a name here, or a place there.

I have always treated it, (from a roleplay point-of-view), as a type of Teir 'Dal 'revsionist' history that they might recite to their young. 

THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL LORE.  IF YOU USE IT IN YOUR ROLEPLAY, PLEASE DO NOT REPEAT IT AS SUCH.  IT IS A FANCIFUL STORY AT THE MOMENT AND NOTHING MORE!

The War of the Broken Crown:

Of Caer T'Hiel:

The Dragons had relinquished their hold over Norrath, and what are now known as the elder races, the Elves and the Dwarves, stepped out from under their gargantuan shadow. The Dwarves sprang forth from the earth, to hold dominion over their mountainous kingdoms. The Elves took to the primeval forests of Norrath, creating a vast empire that spanned several continents. Ruling from the city of Caer T'Hiel, the Elves lived in peace, under the guidance of Innoruuk, the Elven god.

Of the Rebellion and the Outpost of Wielle:

As the corruption in the empire grew, so did the unrest in many Elves hearts. They wanted more and more power for themselves. They grew suspicious of the strength of Innoruuk, choosing to destroy his works, and kill his servants. At first they were small in size, and weak in power. But as the years went by the rebels grew in leaps and bounds, using treacherous methods to slander the leaders of the Elven empire. The first sign of the growing rebellion came at the Elven outpost of Wielle, located where the city of Freeport is today. Wielle was loyal to the empire, and therefore, enemies of the rebels. A rebel army under the captain Paetroen savagely attacked it. The citizens of the outpost were killed.

That action shattered centuries of relative peace. Suddenly the empire had to face a new enemy, a darkness in its mist. The Emperor, Kel'Anthinstion, called on all of the citizens of the empire to fight for the cause of Innoruuk. He sent his most trusted advisers, all disciples of Innoruuk, to the far reaches of the empire. They were to gather support to fight the rebels and support the unity of the empire. The rebels had sent their own recruiters using underhanded tactics to undermine the populace's faith in their god. The war droned on for countless years.

Of the Battle of Aerignon and the Wild Elves:

The war was a stalemate. That changed with the battle of Aerignon, named after the province of the empire where it took place. The loyal forces of the empire thought to catch Paetroen and his rebels unprepared. They attacked him at his home base, just north of Elizerain Lake. Forces were massed and placed under the direct command of the emperor himself. He was to lead the army of Innoruuk to destroy the rebels once and for all. As the army encircled Peatroen's military headquarters, a victory for the blessed forces of Innoruuk seemed assured. Out maneuvered and outnumbered, the rebels could not get enough forces to turn back the impending assault, and escape by any means, was impossible.

But the imperial victory was denied that day, as a third player in the war, the Wild Elves, tipped there hand. The Wild Elf was a term used by citizens of the empire for the primitive Elves the lived beyond the borders of the empire. They had remained neutral throughout the war, but had succumbed to the rebel's promises of victory, and had joined the war on their side. What was supposed to be a day of victory for the empire turned into its greatest defeat. The emperor himself was killed when an Wild Elf assassin slipped into his tent and killed him from behind. On that day the empire was doomed.

Of the Fall of the Imperial City:

The war lasted for several years after the death of the emperor. In desperation, the remaining loyalists sent messengers to the Dwarven Kingdoms for aid against the rebels. They returned, saying the Dwarves were fighting their own war, and would send no help. With the help of new fiendish magic, the rebels pushed the loyalists back to their capital, Caer T'Hiel, which was in what is now known as the Loping Planes. Inside, the last of the loyalists huddled in their homes, holding on to the last remnants of their shattered empire. Without a leader to rally them, they were as good as dead.

Help came in the form of a priest of Innoruuk, who rose up as leader. His name changes with every telling, but the fact remains that in the dark of the night, the day before the final assault on Caer T'Hiel, the priest led the last of the loyalists in to the earth. Through a chasm that was opened and closed by Innoruuk himself. When the rebel army assaulted the city the next day, they found nothing but a ghost town, devoid of any life.

Of the Elven Schism:

As the loyalists took refuge underground, the rebels thought themselves the winners of the War of the Broken Crown. They took on the moniker "High Elves", while the Wild Elves became more commonly known as Wood Elves. Without the loyalists to guide it, the empire fell apart. The Elves that remained on the surface, the High Elves, could not stand the symbol of Caer T'Hiel, and in a fit of rage they destroyed it. They created their capital of Felwithe on the very spot where the emperor was murdered, in the battle that destroyed the empire. The loyalists fled east to the wild and uncharted continent of Antonica. There they established the well guarded and underground city of Neriak, where they stayed for many years trying to rebuild their once great empire and all the while plotting for revenge against the rebels who forced them from Faydwer. Having been exposed to decades of low light in their underground kingdom and to harsh conditions, the skin of those Elves still loyal to Innoruuk has become darker and the Elves themselves have been made into warriors guided by the power of their god. They are feared by the denizens of Antonica, who call the loyalists "Dark Elves."

Mary the Prophetess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:07 AM   #10
Zin`Car

General
Zin`Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Neriak - Third Gate
Posts: 612
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Queen Cristanos Thex is the Dark Elf Ruler of the... Dark Elves. King Tearis Thex WAS the High Elf ruler of the High Elves....

Discuss..

thought i'd fix that for you.  Old Tearis is dead, dagger in his back by a dark elf assassin.

Long live The Queen!

__________________
The problem with humanity is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Zin`Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:48 AM   #11
Meirril

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,552
Default

Mary the Prophetess wrote:

Caveat:

This should be taken with a very large grain of salt!

The War of the Broken Crown was not beta lore at all, but rather fan-fiction from the, (now infamous), First Fist of Light roleplay guild.

That being said, it has been circulated so widely and has been quoted and requoted for so long, that tiny bits and pieces of it have made their way into both official and semi-official lore.

Not the whole story, but a name here, or a place there.

I have always treated it, (from a roleplay point-of-view), as a type of Teir 'Dal 'revsionist' history that they might recite to their young. 

THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL LORE.  IF YOU USE IT IN YOUR ROLEPLAY, PLEASE DO NOT REPEAT IT AS SUCH.  IT IS A FANCIFUL STORY AT THE MOMENT AND NOTHING MORE!

The War of the Broken Crown:

*snip*

I've read a slightly different version of this in EQ1, with large sections of it missing and all of the names were omitted except for Thex. I think the EQ1 version has the king and queen escape along with loyalists. It has been a long time since I read this. I think it was a book on thexian history penned by a dark elven author. It disagrees with other historical works that were in game before this book was introduced.

From my take, the text was propaganda produced by the dark elves to cover up the true history of the race.

Meirril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #12
Rezikai

Loremaster
Rezikai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 561
Default

Mary the Prophetess wrote:

Caveat:

This should be taken with a very large grain of salt!

The War of the Broken Crown was not beta lore at all, but rather fan-fiction from the, (now infamous), First Fist of Light roleplay guild.

While it is a fun read, I prefer the EQ2 Pen and Paper version of the creation of the Dark elves, which speaks of things even from EQoA such as the small dwarven outpost/mining city and the old gnome mining city on old Tunaria. Linking, because the story goes past the 20,480 max character limit. http://p208.ezboard.com/fthediciple...picID=277.topicits a few posts down the thread.(thanks to the Discipleship of AB for post it for me to find)
__________________

Rezikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:37 AM   #13
Gabrinex

Hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
Default

I appologize for thread necromancy. But perhaps with the Thex's as topic, its appropriate. Naythox and Cristianos Thex were the rulers of the Dal, the chosen race of Tunare. They had a child, Tearis Thex, Prince of the elves. Naythox and Cristianos were kidnapped by Innoruuk and tortured in the plane of hate for some 500 years. This turned them in to the first template dark elves. Tearis however, remained with the elves who would become the high elves. As such, he became king of the High elves while Naythox and Cristianos remained as rulers of the Dark Elves (Who were peopled by the elves who had tried to rescue the King and Queen from the plane of hate but got trapped). However, Naythox and Tearis were both killed in the war of the Fay, leaving Cristianos as the Queen of the Dark Elves and a new chick as Queen of the High Elves. Unfortunately, that chick is now getting involved with Mayong Mistmore, and thats always a bad idea. Thex, as a surname, is the family line (A short one, though... ) of the ruling Elven families.
Gabrinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:27 AM   #14
troodon

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Temple of Terror, Cabilis
Posts: 1,098
Default

Naythox, Cristianos, and Tearis were not the Elven royalty involved in the kidnapping and creation of the Teir'Dal.  Had they been, then Naythox and Cristianos would have been the Dark Elven king and queen since the creation of the race - since there are pillars in Fallen Gate with quotes from another Dark Elven king and another Dark Elven queen this is impossible.

The three rulers are all related, but not as father, mother, and son.  They are the descendants of the Elddar royalty kidnapped by Innoruuk.

__________________
----

ROL GRATUL SKORCHERS!!
troodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:47 AM   #15
Gabrinex

Hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
Default

Of all the elder races, it was the elves who first came to dominate the first known continent, which was subsequently called Tunaria, in honor of the elven Goddess of Life. The king and queen of the elves, two perfect specimens created by Tunare's own hands, were beloved by all elves for their beauty, kindness, and wisdom; each also possessed great power given them by their goddess. Ever did the two rulers wield their power sensibly, seeking always to maintain good relations with the other races, if possible. It also assisted them in their endeavors that these elves were as terrible in anger as they were beautiful, capable of unleashing frightening powers, a fact which had not at all gone unnoticed by the other races of Tunaria. Sensing that the time for his revenge was at hand, Innoruuk took the form of an elf and went to the elven capitol of Takish-Hiz, to observe the elves more closely. Among the elves, he learned of their two greatest weaknesses: their great lust for magical knowledge, and their arrogance toward all other races. These weaknesses he would leverage in his vengeance.

The crown prince of the elven royal house Thex, a beautiful boy named Tearis, heard that a certain mysterious elf had a magical gift for him. With great anticipation, the boy came to Innoruuk, disguised as an elf, and received a wondrous helm of magical power. The helmet was beautifully fashioned and shed a brilliant light. As the boy felt it in his hands, he could sense power coursing through the precious device. Prince Tearis, having a strong dose of the typical elven weakness for all things magical, could not help but don the helmet.

Innoruuk, however, had placed a potent curse upon the helm, which placed the boy under his thrall the moment the helm was worn: This boy was the offspring of the two finest elves created by Tunare, and, from the seed of their union, Innoruuk would sow his revenge by making this boy the king of a different kingdom altogether.

Immediately, Innoruuk opened a gate to the Plane of Hate atop the highest tower of the royal palace in Takish-Hiz. The Prince of Hate and his new servant, the prince of the elves, were about to step in when the boy's bodyguards intervened. The guards would not allow this strange elf to take the boy away, even though the boy appeared quite willing to go. King Naythox and Queen Cristianos Thex, who had immediately sensed the opening of the gate, also rushed to the tower with their own bodyguards, and arrived just moments after the boy's guards.

When the king and queen arrived, they saw their son's guardians battling monstrous beings that had erupted forth from a fiery planar gate, while their son and a stranger - whom both monarchs instantly recognized as a being of great power, even if they could not perceive his identity - were trying unsuccessfully to run past the Koada'Dal and into the portal. Seeing the king's and queen's arrival and knowing that while they could not kill him, yet they held great power, Innoruuk quickly put a blade to the boy's throat and commanded all present to halt or the boy would die.

From the origional handbook that came with Everquest, circa 1999. It would seem, perhaps, highly improbable that this crop of Cristianoses, Naythex's and Tearis's happen to hold the same positions in society as the founders. SMILEY This not withstanding, there ARE monoliths in the Fallen Gate that have 'other' kings or queens. It is very odd.
Gabrinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:02 AM   #16
troodon

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Temple of Terror, Cabilis
Posts: 1,098
Default

Gabrinex wrote:
From the origional handbook that came with Everquest, circa 1999.

Are you sure about that?  I don't have one to check (started playing just after Kunark release, my instruction book gives no names to the Elven royalty) but this guy claims that story is from the EQ Pen and Paper game thing, circa 2004.

Edit:  Did some more digging.  This guy claims that the History of Norrath used in my thread by the same name is the story from the original EQ instruction book.  He also claims your story is from the EQ PnP.

__________________
----

ROL GRATUL SKORCHERS!!
troodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:58 AM   #17
Cusashorn

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cheeseland, USA
Posts: 14,919
Default

troodon wrote:
Gabrinex wrote:
From the origional handbook that came with Everquest, circa 1999.

Are you sure about that?  I don't have one to check (started playing just after Kunark release, my instruction book gives no names to the Elven royalty) but this guy claims that story is from the EQ Pen and Paper game thing, circa 2004.

Edit:  Did some more digging.  This guy claims that the History of Norrath used in my thread by the same name is the story from the original EQ instruction book.  He also claims your story is from the EQ PnP.

I DO have the original instruction manual that came with Everquest in 1999 and the Official Players Guide. There is no such story anywhere among either one.
Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #18
Rezikai

Loremaster
Rezikai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 561
Default

Cusashorn wrote:
troodon wrote:
Gabrinex wrote:
From the origional handbook that came with Everquest, circa 1999.

Are you sure about that?  I don't have one to check (started playing just after Kunark release, my instruction book gives no names to the Elven royalty) but this guy claims that story is from the EQ Pen and Paper game thing, circa 2004.

Edit:  Did some more digging.  This guy claims that the History of Norrath used in my thread by the same name is the story from the original EQ instruction book.  He also claims your story is from the EQ PnP.

I DO have the original instruction manual that came with Everquest in 1999 and the Official Players Guide. There is no such story anywhere among either one.
hmm well... some claim original handbook some claim PnP, the site tells of Naythox being killed in his sleep and the Leatherfoot raiders being the ones to destroy the 1st gate. it mentions nothing of Tseralith and her grand monster she created that was the actual cause of the 1st gates collapse .. since in-game you learn the gnome machine was never set off, and it also mentions Naythox was alive,.. not King Tearis and his son, who were ruling at that time.. as said in the producers letter... here http://eq2players.station.sony.com/...007&id=1151 ... I'm going to chalk it up to fan-fiction unless shown otherwise.
__________________

Rezikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #19
Lethe5683

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,351
Default

Dark elves are uuuugly.
Lethe5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #20
LordPazuzu

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,157
Default

King Naythox and Queen Cristanos ruled the Elven kingdom on Tunaria from Takish'Hiz.  Innoruuk took mortal form and seduced their son, Prince Tearis, into following him into the Plane of Hate. Nathox and Cristanos bargained with Innoruuk, trading themselves for Tearis.  Innoruuk took Cristanos and Nathox into Hate and slowly corrupted them, turning them into the first Teir'dal.  The corruption took the couple's great love and turned it into a bitter, undying hatred.  The knights and warriors of Takish Hiz mounted a rescue attempt and invaded the Plane of Hate where they became trapped and eventually followed their King and Queen into corruption.  Tearis Thex then ruled the Koada'Dal well into the original EQ1 era. Cristanos rules the Teir Dal to this day.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #21
Cusashorn

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cheeseland, USA
Posts: 14,919
Default

[email protected] DLere wrote:

King Naythox and Queen Cristanos ruled the Elven kingdom on Tunaria from Takish'Hiz.  Innoruuk took mortal form and seduced their son, Prince Tearis, into following him into the Plane of Hate. Nathox and Cristanos bargained with Innoruuk, trading themselves for Tearis.  Innoruuk took Cristanos and Nathox into Hate and slowly corrupted them, turning them into the first Teir'dal.  The corruption took the couple's great love and turned it into a bitter, undying hatred.  The knights and warriors of Takish Hiz mounted a rescue attempt and invaded the Plane of Hate where they became trapped and eventually followed their King and Queen into corruption.  Tearis Thex then ruled the Koada'Dal well into the original EQ1 era. Cristanos rules the Teir Dal to this day.

Why are you saying such nonsense and innaccuracies? THERE IS PROOF IN THE GAME that Christanos is NOT the original or first queen. Or Naythox the king.
Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:24 PM   #22
LordPazuzu

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,157
Default

Rezikai wrote:
Cusashorn wrote:
troodon wrote:
Gabrinex wrote:
From the origional handbook that came with Everquest, circa 1999.

Are you sure about that?  I don't have one to check (started playing just after Kunark release, my instruction book gives no names to the Elven royalty) but this guy claims that story is from the EQ Pen and Paper game thing, circa 2004.

Edit:  Did some more digging.  This guy claims that the History of Norrath used in my thread by the same name is the story from the original EQ instruction book.  He also claims your story is from the EQ PnP.

I DO have the original instruction manual that came with Everquest in 1999 and the Official Players Guide. There is no such story anywhere among either one.
hmm well... some claim original handbook some claim PnP, the site tells of Naythox being killed in his sleep and the Leatherfoot raiders being the ones to destroy the 1st gate. it mentions nothing of Tseralith and her grand monster she created that was the actual cause of the 1st gates collapse .. since in-game you learn the gnome machine was never set off, and it also mentions Naythox was alive,.. not King Tearis and his son, who were ruling at that time.. as said in the producers letter... here http://eq2players.station.sony.com/...007&id=1151 ... I'm going to chalk it up to fan-fiction unless shown otherwise.
I may be reading that old Producer's Letter wrong, but it seems to me that Scott got his names  of elven of royalty confused.
LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #23
LordPazuzu

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,157
Default

Cusashorn wrote:
[email protected] DLere wrote:

King Naythox and Queen Cristanos ruled the Elven kingdom on Tunaria from Takish'Hiz.  Innoruuk took mortal form and seduced their son, Prince Tearis, into following him into the Plane of Hate. Nathox and Cristanos bargained with Innoruuk, trading themselves for Tearis.  Innoruuk took Cristanos and Nathox into Hate and slowly corrupted them, turning them into the first Teir'dal.  The corruption took the couple's great love and turned it into a bitter, undying hatred.  The knights and warriors of Takish Hiz mounted a rescue attempt and invaded the Plane of Hate where they became trapped and eventually followed their King and Queen into corruption.  Tearis Thex then ruled the Koada'Dal well into the original EQ1 era. Cristanos rules the Teir Dal to this day.

Why are you saying such nonsense and innaccuracies? THERE IS PROOF IN THE GAME that Christanos is NOT the original or first queen. Or Naythox the king.
It's not my fault they mangle their own lore consistently.
LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #24
Cusashorn

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cheeseland, USA
Posts: 14,919
Default

And yet you fail to provide a source of where you heard this. If you're getting your info from the Everquest Pen and Paper game, let me reassure you of this:

THE DEVELOPERS THEMSELVES have stated that the lore in the PNP games do not reflect everything from the video games. Everquest was started as a video game, and expanded outwards. Everything that is written and told directly from the games themselves take precedent over anything the PNP game states.

That said, your story is completely false. The true story behind the Dark Elves, as stated by "The History of Norrath" found in the original Everquest instruction manual, is that Innoruuk was jealous of the Elves' existance and prosperity. He stole away the original king and queen of the Elves, and slowly twisted and tormented them into becomming the first Dark Elves over the course of hundreds of years in the Plane of Hate. King Thex's BROTHER took over as the ruler of the elves. This BROTHER would eventually lead the elves into what they are today: Wood elves and High Elves. The original King and Queen Thex created the dark elf race. For this reason, high elves and dark elves are distantly related by blood. It is tradition that the king and queen of Neriak take on the name of Thex in honor of the first dark elves, even though the royal bloodline has been broken many times. The High Elves are still ruled by a Thex to this day. Thier royal family's bloodline dates back all the way to king Thex's brother who continued to lead the elves in Takish'Hiz.

Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #25
Gabrinex

Hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
Default

I think you take this far to seriously. Relax. Seriously. We're talking about a universe in which people who die, get back up no worse for wear a few hundred feet away. The concept of an immortal elf created directly by a goddess is simply not that -odd-. Sure, there are some pillars in the Fallen Gate which mention other kings and queens. Yes, thats an inconsistancy. It's odd. But in the lack of further supporting evidence (And I admit, I cribbed the info re: Instruction manuals from someone else's work) to either side of the case, What is one to do? It IS known that Tearis ruled at least during EQI, given that was the name of the High Elven king. So we have a 600 year old king. It's not exactly a stretch to have a 6000 year old king at that point.
Gabrinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #26
Rezikai

Loremaster
Rezikai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 561
Default

[email protected] DLere wrote:
Rezikai wrote:
Cusashorn wrote:
troodon wrote:
Gabrinex wrote:
From the origional handbook that came with Everquest, circa 1999.

Are you sure about that?  I don't have one to check (started playing just after Kunark release, my instruction book gives no names to the Elven royalty) but this guy claims that story is from the EQ Pen and Paper game thing, circa 2004.

Edit:  Did some more digging.  This guy claims that the History of Norrath used in my thread by the same name is the story from the original EQ instruction book.  He also claims your story is from the EQ PnP.

I DO have the original instruction manual that came with Everquest in 1999 and the Official Players Guide. There is no such story anywhere among either one.
hmm well... some claim original handbook some claim PnP, the site tells of Naythox being killed in his sleep and the Leatherfoot raiders being the ones to destroy the 1st gate. it mentions nothing of Tseralith and her grand monster she created that was the actual cause of the 1st gates collapse .. since in-game you learn the gnome machine was never set off, and it also mentions Naythox was alive,.. not King Tearis and his son, who were ruling at that time.. as said in the producers letter... here http://eq2players.station.sony.com/...007&id=1151 ... I'm going to chalk it up to fan-fiction unless shown otherwise.
I may be reading that old Producer's Letter wrong, but it seems to me that Scott got his names  of elven of royalty confused.
Thats what i thought to, as did others at the time who questioned it and (most here on the lore forum) and let it go as Scott not knowing the lore well enough.....We pick up the story of Neriak 300 years ago.

It was no secret even then that Queen Cristanos Thex of Neriak was the embodiment of malevolent ambition. So close to the crown and ultimate power over her own kind, but it was destined to pass her by. When King Tearis' time came, the empire would fall to the hands of her son, Prince Talvus Thex.

While the War of the Fay raged, with the Crown Prince and his father otherwise occupied in Faydwer, the Queen saw her opportunity and exploited it mercilessly. It wasn't long before both King Tearis and his son fell to mysterious circumstances in combat.

Cristanos seized the power she had long desired, ending the Thex Dynasty in one final, brutal stroke.

("Two, actually," she would later recount to her most trusted priestess.)


Then i read the recent sneak peak write up of the TSO Najena dungeon and it talks of Neriaks King Tearis.. here.. http://eq2players.station.sony.com/...ent&id=1898The workshops of Najena's fortress were soon bustling. Her ever faithful ogre guards protected her home and over the nextseveral years a very few of Najena's most loyal cohorts slipped out of Neriak and made their way to Lavastorm to join in her studies.Najena soon became a haven of elemental experiments. Traps were set to dissuade curious adventurers and soon the foothills surrounding the lair were filled with elementals, some guardians and some experiments gone rogue. It is said that during one of the greatest experiments ever performed by Najena, there was called forth a horde from the elemental planes that rebelled and created such an immense blast of energy during the ensuing magical battle, that it blew the gigantic entrance doors of Najena off their hinges. However, all good things must come to an end. Neriak learned of Najena's deception and her location. Members of the Indigo Brotherhood were sent to capture Najena and destroy her stronghold. They might have succeeded, or even fared better, but the Queen was a long time ally and sent word ahead to Najena, warning her of the invaders. With the Queen's blessing and promise of silence, Najena developed a plan.

The army made its way into Najena's fortress... and was destroyed. The elemental mistress's control over fire was great and she used it to shatter the entrance to her home. The few survivors made their way back to Neriak and reported the destruction to the King, Tearis Thex. And so it has long been recorded that Najena was no more... The records are wrong.

Today, Najena is a vast subterranean complex. Having grown over the years, it is now divided into several districts, connected by a winding underground waterway. The study of magic and the elements continues unabated and any brave enough to venture here should beware the elementals that lurk there.

So... now i wonder,.. 2 times now... the Teir`Dal king durig the Age of War is refered to as Tearis... Odd,... is it he that was King of the Dark elves, and his son Talvus the ones who were the ones slain.. its very.. odd,... Cristanos used her power play to take over Neriak I assumed it was Naythox and Tearis slain.. then i read that about Najenas dungeon, and thought perhaps it isnt just a mistake by the producers.
__________________

Rezikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #27
troodon

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Temple of Terror, Cabilis
Posts: 1,098
Default

Gabrinex wrote:
Relax. Seriously. We're talking about a universe in which people who die, get back up no worse for wear a few hundred feet away. The concept of an immortal elf created directly by a goddess is simply not that -odd-.

Just because something is possible doesn't mean that it's true.  Sure, Tunare could have made the Elves immortal... just like the Marr twins could have made the Barbarians and Humans immortal too, but they didn't.  The only non-undead creatures on Norrath that we 'know' are immortal are the Dragons, and that's only because some of the First Brood were still alive in EQ1 (I can't think of any EQ2 Dragons that were in the First Brood).

That said, and I'll be fair and admit this, I don't think we have any actual in-game source that mentions an Elf (or any other race, for that matter) dying of old age or some natural cause associated with advanced aging.  Maybe they're all immortal and just heavily prone to accidents.

Sure, there are some pillars in the Fallen Gate which mention other kings and queens. Yes, thats an inconsistancy. It's odd. But in the lack of further supporting evidence (And I admit, I cribbed the info re: Instruction manuals from someone else's work) to either side of the case, What is one to do? It IS known that Tearis ruled at least during EQI, given that was the name of the High Elven king. So we have a 600 year old king. It's not exactly a stretch to have a 6000 year old king at that point.

Well, Tearis died well before the beginning of EQ2 so I don't know if we can accurately guess a minimum age for him.  That said, if you're going to accept non-game lore sources there's this bit from some EQ RPG that says the oldest Dark Elves don't even make it to 800 years - not even as old as Yoda.

__________________
----

ROL GRATUL SKORCHERS!!
troodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #28
troodon

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Temple of Terror, Cabilis
Posts: 1,098
Default

Rezikai wrote:
**snip**
Now that's interesting.
__________________
----

ROL GRATUL SKORCHERS!!
troodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:20 PM   #29
LordPazuzu

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,157
Default

Cusashorn wrote:

And yet you fail to provide a source of where you heard this. If you're getting your info from the Everquest Pen and Paper game, let me reassure you of this:

THE DEVELOPERS THEMSELVES have stated that the lore in the PNP games do not reflect everything from the video games. Everquest was started as a video game, and expanded outwards. Everything that is written and told directly from the games themselves take precedent over anything the PNP game states.

That said, your story is completely false. The true story behind the Dark Elves, as stated by "The History of Norrath" found in the original Everquest instruction manual, is that Innoruuk was jealous of the Elves' existance and prosperity. He stole away the original king and queen of the Elves, and slowly twisted and tormented them into becomming the first Dark Elves over the course of hundreds of years in the Plane of Hate. King Thex's BROTHER took over as the ruler of the elves. This BROTHER would eventually lead the elves into what they are today: Wood elves and High Elves. The original King and Queen Thex created the dark elf race. For this reason, high elves and dark elves are distantly related by blood. It is tradition that the king and queen of Neriak take on the name of Thex in honor of the first dark elves, even though the royal bloodline has been broken many times. The High Elves are still ruled by a Thex to this day. Thier royal family's bloodline dates back all the way to king Thex's brother who continued to lead the elves in Takish'Hiz.

If anyone knows how to get a hold of Bill Trost, we could always ask him.
LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #30
Coniaric

Loremaster
Coniaric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 756
Default

Hmm ... has it occurred to anyone that it may be simply a custom of naming children after past ancestors? 

Or another possibilty, the ruler changes his/her name upon taking up the crown?

After all, Earth's royality do this sort of thing and so why not the fictional royality.

__________________
Coniaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:47 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.