EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Zones and Population
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-03-2007, 03:28 AM   #1
Wyrmypops

Loremaster

Can we get some of these back?

I'm pretty sure I ain't alone in having encounter based AE's and encounter taunts that are rendered rather pointless by the diminishing linked mobs.

Fair enough with the diminishing presence of heroics as overland zones are being more aimed at soloers. But linked mobs encounters are still appropriate for soloers, as they've ever come with less impressive ^.

The linked mobs were something I enjoyed, having come from EQ1 where there were none. They were interesting in the variety they brought to the range of fights. I personally derived no small pleasure in running into a group with an AE ticking, appearing in the middle as it goes off, then tapping each mob to ensure steady damage to all onlu to finish the lot in one go with another AE.  It amused me. Even when the social agro came in, parroting what it seemed the linked mob mechanic was already doing (albeit differently) the linked mobs still existed and gave us that diveristy.

Now it seems we're heading towards becoming more like EQ1. With heroics and solo mobs being in seperate zones (generally) its just as if dungeon mobs are more powerful than outside, reducing the visible effective difference between a solo and heroic mob as they're rarely side by side. And with linked mobs fading away in favour of social single mobs, it certainly is looking a bit more EQ1 than EQ2 was.

Go on, give us them linked mobs back. I got some AE's going unused. SMILEY

Old 12-03-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
Eugam

Loremaster

/agree but i wont hold my breath for it. It needs a complete revamp of the expansion. Its not only overland, its the same in dungeons. No more adrenaline pulls, just boring raid mechanics. Nothing wrong with raids, but this is group content. Been to the Sibilis instance this weekend and it bored me to tears. There are only single heroics and it plays like x1 raid. Pulling in 5, spike incoming, spike healed, burning it down. Next mob... /yawn This design decision is a complete failure. They better soon roll another expansion with classic combat.Its not only about combat, the zones look like shooting galleries. The Jungle is a huge Field of Rats (For those who understand this verteran joke). The mobs do cheat with melee damage over max distance of my casts and chase you in a vanguardian manner through half of the zone. The difference is that you can heal and cast while running in Vangaurd and there is open space in Vanguard. In EQ2 you just watch the huge DoTs ticking on youm or get hit by melee from 20 meter distance, hoping the mobs after you give up before the DoTs kill you. Not to mention the frustration if half of your playtime is running SMILEYMobs debuff like there is no tomorrow. Nothing wrong with it, i am a warden and have cures. The problem is just you give up on curing after the 3rd trauma debuff in a row. Not even a PvP encouter has so fast timers to bebuff like this. Well, at least i have a reason to put AA into the cures SMILEYCasting a tree or the Pack of wolves is useless. Half of the solo mobs have AI and AE kill those 1 second after casting. Nothing wrong with AI, but why is a blue solo mob able to one shot my wolves and tree ? 
Eugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
Terron

Loremaster

Linked mobs are definitely being under used in newer zones and revamped ones like Antonica. It is turning the enounter based AEs of classes such as Illusionists, Conjurors and Dirges into slow, mana hungry single target abilities, and reducing the fun of playing those classes.

Terron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
Belaythien

Loremaster

I'd prefer to see those encounter DD spells turned into open AEs. That way you can pull a bunch of single mobs, nuke one and hit everything around them. Since they introduced so many social mobs, I don't really see a need for linked mobs anyway. Still love the way DAoC worked: if you pull a mob, social adds will come along depending on your group size; more mobs meant more bonus exp; all AEs were open AEs.I was recently considering moving my encounter targetted AEs to a lesser used hotbar. So far I've only used them while snare-kiting mobs in RoK SMILEY
Belaythien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:18 PM   #5
Terron

Loremaster

Belaythien wrote:
I'd prefer to see those encounter DD spells turned into open AEs.
Where whould that leave the dirge's debuffs, and the illusionist's mez and stun (and dots), The illusionists group mez would need to be nerfed massively it were made open. Also what about the group taunts that all fighs have. I have alts whose class AEs mostly open (swashie, fury and SK)  and ones that are mostly encounter based (illusionist, dirge, conjuror). I like the difference in play styles that goes with them. The problem is not the AEs, it is the lack of suitable targets in the new zones. It appears that someone thinks that fighting multiple mobs is not right for solo content, but it can be great fun to fight a group of mob when solo.

Terron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:45 PM   #6
Belaythien

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
Belaythien wrote:
I'd prefer to see those encounter DD spells turned into open AEs.
Where whould that leave the dirge's debuffs, and the illusionist's mez and stun (and dots), The illusionists group mez would need to be nerfed massively it were made open. Also what about the group taunts that all fighs have.
Just like point blank open AEs work now: everything in a 5 or 10 meter radius around the target mob would be affected by the AE spell. The current weird linked mob encounter mechanic is unnatural at best SMILEY.
Belaythien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
Wyrmypops

Loremaster

I never found it unnatural. Always thought of them is a group, mirroring the groups that our PC can create. Our PC groups get hit by encounter AE's from mobs, would be nice to continue to do the same right back at linked mob encounters.

The enhanced AI of caster/ranged mobs in RoK is very nice. But all the once linked mob encounters breaking group to scatter, relying on social agro and poor pulling to see them all seperately converge on a PC, less so. For a start, if someone has decent pulling skills and some situational awareness they may never get more than one mob at a time, thereby making mock of the mobs that used to be linked. But mostly, it's just less interesting and fun, and damned irritating to see once favoured encounter based combat arts and spells gather dust on the hotbar, as we have to rinse-repeat the same fights over and over on single targets mobs.

Those linked mob encounter really did provide some diversity. Giving some classes a chance to flex their muscles and excel in their own way. I've not revisted an old haunt, the guardian isle in barren sky where writ runs were common - up there, ranger friends would excel in taking down the single mobs, whereas my zerker would leap into the groups of mobs with wild abandon. Zerker AE's are one of the things that makes it different to a guardian. Other classes diversity, there's a couple I've never played but what of the difference between a wizard and a warlock, is not one of the significant differences that wizards are better on single targets while the warlock is better against linked mobs? Without those mobs to get stuck into, those classes that have the tools to deal with linked mobs are essentially just getting shafted in comparisn to those that do better against single targets.  

A loss of linked mobs encounters has so many ramifications, I trust they'll be coming back and we're currently just in a period of adjustment as the heroics/solo mob definations are being tweaked. If the linked mobs are just gone and going, the class diversity is diminished, fights will be more repetitious, encounter based arts and spells need to be re-worked. Though if this is truly intended, then that's sad, a regression to EQ1 rather than plowing forwards in MMORPG mechanics.

I'd guess one of the issues to be considered in the creation of linked mobs is tied to the enhanced AI of caster/ranged mobs in that group. Traditionally a group of mixed archetype mobs would charge in and do what they do toe to toe. Now we see caster/ranged single mobs acting differently (just as our PC groups do). That could create weird issues with groups of linked mobs fighting all over the place (just as our PC groups do). , neccesatating our encounter based arts/spells recieve increased range to cover a scattered group (just as some of theirs do) - or just learn to use them better as we position ourselves to cover as many of the mobs as possible. I'd rather like to have to improve my own tactics, in an arms race against the mob AI. As long as the mobs are there to do so on.