EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #31
shots01

Lord

Okay thank you both.  I was more looking for lower level instances.

I won't be quoting anyone anymore since I got accused of trolling. (

shots01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #32
shots01

Lord

That's what I do too Raff.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #33
bks6721

Loremaster

so I took my last 3 90's to 320aa this weekend.  I was done by Saturday morn so i spent the rest of the weekend on my 70 and lower characters.

I avoided open dungeons simply because fighting over mobs is futile.  I rotated through Evernight Abbey, Mistmyr Manor and Ravenscale.  By the time I finished the 3rd the first would be unlocked again thanks to the 90 min timers.  I averaged 10-13aa per zone using an aa potion and my 200% vet bonus.

3 of my level 70's gained 100+ aa just soloing KoS instances ONE time each. i don't consider it 'grinding' to only run a zone once. Questing during double exp is silly if gaining aa is your goal.

While I was doing all that, my wife solo'd her Inq from 174aa to 275aa and her SK from 200aa to 265.  She only played about 6 hrs each day.   Yet people still claim "I've played since 2004 and only have 170aa.."  well, they aren't trying very hard.

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #34
bks6721

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Geothe wrote:

shots01 wrote:

Otherwise, I just run quests.  I stay out of instances because of all the rude people.

I try and stay out of dungeons or instances.

You do know, dont you, that instances are private, heh.

Open dungeons, yes, double XP weekends you probably wont be able to get a nice spot in SoS, Seb, The Hole, etc.

However, instances are all your own, and now they just have a 90 minute reset so you can tear through those as much as you want with zero competition.  Depending on your Level/Class/Gear you can do rounds through 2-4 instances pretty much non stop.  Get insane XP, and have the mobs all to yourself.  KoS group instances seemed to work nicely a couple of loops I did this weekend.  Like Den, HoF, etc. 

Funny that XP in instances seems to be far inferior to 'open zones'.  Honestly $OE needs to stop with the bull and get rid of all the 'hidden' modifiers that are trying to push people through where they want them. 

But to the OP, even with all the suckage around a double XP weekend, I am still glad we get them.

The grouping penalty needs to go and go yesterday.

Evernight Abbey gave the lowest of the 3 zones I was cycling through.  Only about 6500 per kill. Ravenscale was about 9000 per kill on average.  I gained 60+ aa on 3 level 90's before noon on Saturday.  I solo'd most of it and used a merc in zones that I needed too.   My chars are just in Rygor gear and don't group at all in DoV, I wouldn't call them Uber.  lol

My level 40 brig gained 100+ killing Rivervale.  I couldn't believe that I never saw more than 4 people in the zone considering I play on a heavy pop server, Freeport.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #35
MrWolfie

Loremaster

Raffir wrote:

Define "grind"...for some people, Questing is a mind numbing grind.

Grinding is killing mobs, over and over, non-stop. Quantity is the only factor involved, and spots where lots of mobs respawn very quickly are the places where "grinders" would be hanging out. You can grind for XP or faction, but any quest updates gained during a grind are usually purely coincidental.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #36
Sunscour

Lord

I have a character on a really empty server (Oasis), I go there on those weekends. Just me and a few others. I hire a merc and off I go.

It's like my cabin in the woods.

Sunscour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #37
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

the game is called EverQuest not EverGrind.

If the developers followed your logic, the game would be called Soloquest.

A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #38
Yimway

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Anyon who gives the EverQuest vs EverGrind arguement never actually played EverQuest.  Cause there were very little quests in it, and it wasn't remotely the mechanism for advancement.

It really wasn't until Scott Hartsman and RoK release that EverQuest shifted from a grinding to quest focus for advancement.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #39
Alenna
Server: Guk
Guild: Defenders of the Light

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Anyon who gives the EverQuest vs EverGrind arguement never actually played EverQuest.  Cause there were very little quests in it, and it wasn't remotely the mechanism for advancement.

It really wasn't until Scott Hartsman and RoK release that EverQuest shifted from a grinding to quest focus for advancement.

Guilty as charged I never did play Everquest and came to Everquest2 just before RoK. and love questing friends better then soloing or grinding even though I will grind when needed(on bonus xp weekends to get the last few AAs I need to be vialble to my raid force and such). and yes solo quest when I can't find groups but grouping wiht friends with goals in mind in the way of questlines are still my favorite to do. meh, to each his own. lets just have fun.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #40
Hardain

Loremaster

Or maybe the whole game is the quest, gaining max level, getting pricious item or discovering world.

Hardain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #41
shots01

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

so I took my last 3 90's to 320aa this weekend.  I was done by Saturday morn so i spent the rest of the weekend on my 70 and lower characters.

I avoided open dungeons simply because fighting over mobs is futile.  I rotated through Evernight Abbey, Mistmyr Manor and Ravenscale.  By the time I finished the 3rd the first would be unlocked again thanks to the 90 min timers.  I averaged 10-13aa per zone using an aa potion and my 200% vet bonus.

3 of my level 70's gained 100+ aa just soloing KoS instances ONE time each. i don't consider it 'grinding' to only run a zone once. Questing during double exp is silly if gaining aa is your goal.

While I was doing all that, my wife solo'd her Inq from 174aa to 275aa and her SK from 200aa to 265.  She only played about 6 hrs each day.   Yet people still claim "I've played since 2004 and only have 170aa.."  well, they aren't trying very hard.

I resent that statement.. based on the fact that I am just now finding out after years of playing that there are many things I did not know about.  Evernight Abbey.  Never heard of it.  Ravenscale.  Never heard of it.  I don't know where your wife went but I AM trying.  Otherwise I wouldn't be asking you all.  The person who linked the wiki page for solo instances, that will be a great help but I was not able to utilize it over the weekend.  I focused on trying to help my husband level.  We quested.  We went into PoA once and it was a joke.  My 68 lock and his 63 necro were only able to go so far before it got too hard for us.

Neither of us believes in mercs and never of us will ever use them.  That is our choice.  So yes we are trying VERY hard with our own set playstyle.  And NO I don't whine about the lack of aa.  I just like to know where you all go to see if its something I can do with my husband.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #42
shots01

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Guilty as charged I never did play Everquest and came to Everquest2 just before RoK. and love questing friends better then soloing or grinding even though I will grind when needed(on bonus xp weekends to get the last few AAs I need to be vialble to my raid force and such). and yes solo quest when I can't find groups but grouping wiht friends with goals in mind in the way of questlines are still my favorite to do. meh, to each his own. lets just have fun.

LOL what you said.  I am only solo as everyone left my guild and went back to games they enjoyed more.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #43
shots01

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Geothe wrote:

shots01 wrote:

Otherwise, I just run quests.  I stay out of instances because of all the rude people.

Open dungeons, yes, double XP weekends you probably wont be able to get a nice spot in SoS, Seb, The Hole, etc.

However, instances are all your own, and now they just have a 90 minute reset so you can tear through those as much as you want with zero competition.  Depending on your Level/Class/Gear you can do rounds through 2-4 instances pretty much non stop.  Get insane XP, and have the mobs all to yourself.  KoS group instances seemed to work nicely a couple of loops I did this weekend.  Like Den, HoF, etc. 

Funny that XP in instances seems to be far inferior to 'open zones'.  Honestly $OE needs to stop with the bull and get rid of all the 'hidden' modifiers that are trying to push people through where they want them. 

But to the OP, even with all the suckage around a double XP weekend, I am still glad we get them.

Evernight Abbey gave the lowest of the 3 zones I was cycling through.  Only about 6500 per kill. Ravenscale was about 9000 per kill on average.  I gained 60+ aa on 3 level 90's before noon on Saturday.  I solo'd most of it and used a merc in zones that I needed too.   My chars are just in Rygor gear and don't group at all in DoV, I wouldn't call them Uber.  lol

My level 40 brig gained 100+ killing Rivervale.  I couldn't believe that I never saw more than 4 people in the zone considering I play on a heavy pop server, Freeport.

Give me a shout sometime maybe we can do something.  Rivervale is interesting.  I have a lvl 50 monk that needs to go in there and do her gathering obsession.  There's tons of discovery spots in there along with my favorite.. the nightbloods hehe.  Cupcakes of Doom is my guild i am on 5:30 pm pdt on and work days.  Weekends I am in game.

I still would like to know where those two areas are LOL.

You know what is funny.....If i group with anyone.. doesn't matter who.. and enter a dungeon or instance on my own and attempt to play it.. I am fine.  I just hate going in.......alone...and dying.. alone.. with no one to see my haha acts of bravery before I finally bite the dust.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #44
bks6721

Loremaster

shots01 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Geothe wrote:

shots01 wrote:

Give me a shout sometime maybe we can do something.  Rivervale is interesting.  I have a lvl 50 monk that needs to go in there and do her gathering obsession.  There's tons of discovery spots in there along with my favorite.. the nightbloods hehe.  Cupcakes of Doom is my guild i am on 5:30 pm pdt on and work days.  Weekends I am in game.

I still would like to know where those two areas are LOL.

You know what is funny.....If i group with anyone.. doesn't matter who.. and enter a dungeon or instance on my own and attempt to play it.. I am fine.  I just hate going in.......alone...and dying.. alone.. with no one to see my haha acts of bravery before I finally bite the dust.

The zones I mentioned scale from 70 to 90 based on your level and are located in a crypt in Loping Plains.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #45
MrWolfie

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I played EQ1 from launch to PoP. I know what grinding is. I know what camping is. yada-yada. I think that we only started "grinding" after they introduced AAXP. Before then it was questing and camping for equipment upgrades. Again, it depended on your approach to the game, if all you wanted was a max level character immediately, then grinding mobs was the way to go. I always roleplayed my chars and took quests that were appropriate to their class...etc. Only my warrior was max level, max AA...etc, and she was the one that went raiding.

However, I have to disagree with you in respect of your final comment, I think that EQ2 was touted as anti-grind/anti-camp/casual-friendly from the very beginning (not just from RoK onward), with quests for advancement straight from the off on the isles.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #46
shots01

Lord

ahh ya the crypt in the cemetary?  I've been in there once with Guggulam

Old 04-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #47
Raffir

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Raffir wrote:

Define "grind"...for some people, Questing is a mind numbing grind.

Grinding is killing mobs, over and over, non-stop. Quantity is the only factor involved, and spots where lots of mobs respawn very quickly are the places where "grinders" would be hanging out. You can grind for XP or faction, but any quest updates gained during a grind are usually purely coincidental.

That was a rhetorical statement, Aemm.  That said, any word can have multiple meanings.  I think the "grinding" implies a mind numbing process of advancement over and  over...be it your description...or by questing.

When the fun has gone out of the game for you...all of it is a grind.  I'm not to that point yet though.

Raf

Raffir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #48
Yimway

Loremaster

Raffir wrote:

When the fun has gone out of the game for you...all of it is a grind.  I'm not to that point yet.  And when I get to that point, I'll another game.  

Raf

For me, and I'd say the vast majority of players I play with, the act of leveling up a new toon is long beyond being nothing but an annoying grind.  However, the real game start when you get 90/320, and that game we still find fun to play.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #49
Raffir

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Raffir wrote:

When the fun has gone out of the game for you...all of it is a grind.  I'm not to that point yet.  And when I get to that point, I'll another game.  

Raf

For me, and I'd say the vast majority of players I play with, the act of leveling up a new toon is long beyond being nothing but an annoying grind.  However, the real game start when you get 90/320, and that game we still find fun to play.

Yeah...I could see that mindset if you had been playing since the game threw the doors open.  But I haven't run every questline or instance yet.  Working on it though.

Raf

Old 04-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #50
MrWolfie

Loremaster

Raffir wrote:

That said, any word can have multiple meanings.  I think the "grinding" implies a mind numbing process of advancement over and  over...be it your description...or by questing.

Well, you'd be wrong, then. In an MMO grinding has a very specific meaning. As specific as terms such as soloing, grouping, raiding...etc, which outside of an MMO may have multiple meanings. It's irrelevant whether you "feel" that anything else is a "grind". I took your request for a definition at face value simply because you then went on to define it incorrectly aka in terms of how you felt about certain parts of the game. They may be a "grind" to you, but not to many others and to utilize a pre-exisiting term to refer to your specific experience is only confusing for people who both understand the term and those who do not.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #51
Raffir

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Raffir wrote:

That said, any word can have multiple meanings.  I think the "grinding" implies a mind numbing process of advancement over and  over...be it your description...or by questing.

Well, you'd be wrong, then. In an MMO grinding has a very specific meaning. As specific as terms such as soloing, grouping, raiding...etc, which outside of an MMO may have multiple meanings. It's irrelevant whether you "feel" that anything else is a "grind". I took your request for a definition at face value simply because you then went on to define it incorrectly aka in terms of how you felt about certain parts of the game. They may be a "grind" to you, but not to many others and to utilize a pre-exisiting term to refer to your specific experience is only confusing for people who both understand the term and those who do not.

Wow...someone needs to get out more. 

But the above is your opinion only....considering that the word "grind" used in conjunction with MMO (a slang synonym)  is yet another slang term.  And as a "slang" term is open to interpretation based on any number of factors.

My interpretation is looser than yours.

Raf

Old 04-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #52
shots01

Lord

In deference to anyone else...

My opinion of the word "grind" is what you make of it.

Game is only a "grind" if you choose to think it is.  I choose not to look at it in that light therefore, the game is NOT a grind for me.  Going after xp or aa's is NOT a grind for me because I have FUN.

Solo or not, I still have fun going out and slaughtering baddies.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #53
Tyrus Dracofire

Loremaster

i tried to get in group, and got ignored by guild, keep saying sorry group full and they stay same characters all weekend in same group, so i tried soloing, it is lot slower and gave up.

so i just did reformated my PC, and attemp to fix with fresh drum ui, and it isnt easy reading when i am sick, and decided to drop from that guild that doesnt help, and went back to non-hardcore, friendly-family no-drama guild and less stressful. there too much misunderstandings with current leader i just left.

i know, it's hurts and it better to leave previous guild if they seem dont want you because of handicap and medical situations.

so i hope my new current guild got plans for next bonus xp events so i can get in group.

Tyrus Dracofire is offline   Reply With Quote