EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Spells, Abilities, and General Class Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Serik
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Order of the Outcast
Rank: Officer

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 31
Default

I was just going over some parses from last night and agonizing over terrible melee hitrates on Commander Goreslaughter and General Teku in PoW.  The important thing to note here is at the time I had max strikethrough and about 60% accuracy.  What I don't understand is how these mobs are still able to block, parry, and riposte my auto-attacks.  Here are some screenies to show what I'm talking about:

Also I would like to note that this is not exclusive to just these mobs.  I have a parse from the Enraged War Boar from last night that shows the same thing, where the mob is blocking my attacks while I have max strikethrough.  The melee hitrates were much better compared to the last two parses (85% comepared to 60-65%).

As far as I know these mobs do not debuff strikethrough or accuracy in any way.   Is strikethrough bugged? Mobs should not be avoiding any attacks by block, parry, or riposte when coming from a character with max strikethrough.  A quick response would be much appreciated.

Serik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Davngr1

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,179
Default

the way strikethru works is that if you beat the avoidance roll but fail the hit/miss roll then it shows the avoidance roll anyway since showing a block is better than showing a miss(this is probably why you see block on trash).   also mobs have temp buffs just like players that would render them immune to strikethru. not saying that's the case here but it might add to what you're seeing in logs(this is probably why you see block on names).  

__________________
Davngr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
Ulrichvon

Loremaster
Ulrichvon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 641
Default

100% strikethru is impossible to get.

Eve nwit 200% strikethru stat, you're still not going to reach a real 100% success.

I used to think this skill was on a diminishing return scale, and you could eventually reach a high hit chance, but now I believe it is hard capped somewhere.

In either case, SoE hasn't been interested in clearly communicating how it works.

__________________
Hey, where's my random act of kindness?
Ulrichvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
Rahatmattata

Loremaster
Rahatmattata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,232
Default

soe has no idea what the word percent means. whats the point of even having strike through or accuracy.

__________________


A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #5
hoosierdaddy

Loremaster
hoosierdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 302
Default

[email protected] wrote:

soe has no idea what the word percent means. whats the point of even having strike through or accuracy.

There is no point in having any strikethrough or accuracy.

A player better than myself at crunching numbers posted (on "another site") several parses with 100% Acc./ST and the same amount with with 0% in both stats against the same mob and the difference in hit rate% was negligible.

Weapon skills (i.e. slashing, crushing, etc.) seem to have a much greater effect on hit rate% in the long run than Acc/ST.

TLDR: Reforge ST/Acc. For all intents and purposes, they're dump stats.

__________________
"The human race is the most stupid and unfair kind of race. A lot of the runners don't even get decent sneakers or clean drinking water. Some runners are born with a massive head start, every possible help along the way and still the referees seem to be on their side. It's not surprising a lot of people have given up competing altogether and gone to sit in the grandstand, eat junk and shout abuse. What the human race needs is a lot more streakers." -- Banksy
hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #6
Davngr1

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,179
Default

there is a lot more to hit/miss/avoidance than you guys are aware off.   

 the point is that tanks have lower hit rates because your classes are harder to hit and vise versa scouts have better hit rates because they are easier to hit. 

  the hit rates are dependent on many variables and they are contested not a "flat" percentage.  every time you swing a multitude of calculations happen to determine if you will hit the mob or not.    i know with reckless stance the devs have turned the game upside down but things like this are good for the game, i don't see them changing.  stock up on accuracy and strike thru gear for those pita names that you can't hit and keep another set of gear for damage for the stuff that doesn't miss/avoid as much.   it's one of the things that tanks have to do.

__________________
Davngr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
Davngr1

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,179
Default

hoosierdaddy wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

soe has no idea what the word percent means. whats the point of even having strike through or accuracy.

There is no point in having any strikethrough or accuracy.

A player better than myself at crunching numbers posted (on "another site") several parses with 100% Acc./ST and the same amount with with 0% in both stats against the same mob and the difference in hit rate% was negligible.

Weapon skills (i.e. slashing, crushing, etc.) seem to have a much greater effect on hit rate% in the long run than Acc/ST.

TLDR: Reforge ST/Acc. For all intents and purposes, they're dump stats.

that mob's buff package is probably set to have base avoidance percentage and raidbuffs are enough to reach that limit.

 i know for a fact that accuracy works because when i don't have it my hit rates drop dramatically.  strike thru i know works in pvp but i don't have access to gear/buffs that would allow my scout to raid with any meaningful amount of strikethru

__________________
Davngr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
hoosierdaddy

Loremaster
hoosierdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 302
Default

Davngr1 wrote:

1.) that mob's buff package is probably set to have base avoidance percentage and raidbuffs are enough to reach that limit.

 2.) i know for a fact that accuracy works because when i don't have it my hit rates drop dramatically.  strike thru i know works in pvp but i don't have access to gear/buffs that would allow my scout to raid with any meaningful amount of strikethru

1.) Nah. We're talking PoW stuff here.

2.) No, you don't know it for a fact, otherwise you wouldn't be posting what you did. As I wrote, the difference in hit rate% is negligible with 100% ST/Acc. and 0%. Don't believe me? Try it yourself. Then get your weapon skills to >700 and check the difference in hit rate%.

Reality check: After a sixty-page thread on "another site" where you were lambasted over your opinions on Reckless Stance, did you really just post that "i know with reckless stance the devs have turned the game upside down but things like this are good for the game"? You seem a reliable source of information.

__________________
"The human race is the most stupid and unfair kind of race. A lot of the runners don't even get decent sneakers or clean drinking water. Some runners are born with a massive head start, every possible help along the way and still the referees seem to be on their side. It's not surprising a lot of people have given up competing altogether and gone to sit in the grandstand, eat junk and shout abuse. What the human race needs is a lot more streakers." -- Banksy
hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
Mermut

Loremaster
Mermut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 852
Default

hoosierdaddy wrote:

Davngr1 wrote:

1.) that mob's buff package is probably set to have base avoidance percentage and raidbuffs are enough to reach that limit.

 2.) i know for a fact that accuracy works because when i don't have it my hit rates drop dramatically.  strike thru i know works in pvp but i don't have access to gear/buffs that would allow my scout to raid with any meaningful amount of strikethru

1.) Nah. We're talking PoW stuff here.

2.) No, you don't know it for a fact, otherwise you wouldn't be posting what you did. As I wrote, the difference in hit rate% is negligible with 100% ST/Acc. and 0%. Don't believe me? Try it yourself. Then get your weapon skills to >700 and check the difference in hit rate%.

Reality check: After a sixty-page thread on "another site" where you were lambasted over your opinions on Reckless Stance, did you really just post that "i know with reckless stance the devs have turned the game upside down but things like this are good for the game"? You seem a reliable source of information.

2) At least for non-tanks, accuracy DOES make a difference. I've gone from 2-5 'pages' of misses in ACT to none with 20-30% accuracy. I still have a few 'pages' of block/parry/riposte, but as a priest melee skills are harder to come by and only so many adornment slots take weaponry adorns.

__________________
I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, But not hang it by the neck until dead.
Mermut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
hoosierdaddy

Loremaster
hoosierdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 302
Default

Mermut wrote:

At least for non-tanks, accuracy DOES make a difference. I've gone from 2-5 'pages' of misses in ACT to none with 20-30% accuracy. I still have a few 'pages' of block/parry/riposte, but as a priest melee skills are harder to come by and only so many adornment slots take weaponry adorns.

Right on. I can't speak to its effect on non-tank hit rate%, since I don't play one.

Tanks will innately have a lower hit rate% than all other melee classes, however, due to the mechanics of standing in front of the mob, rather than behind it. You'll never see much higher than an 80% auto-attack hit rate as a tank, and generally it's closer to 70% in zones like HM Drunder/PoW.

I'm pretty sure that's the way the devs intended it to be and no amount of ST/Acc. is going to bring a tank close to true melee dps in terms of hit rate%.

To illustrate the effectiveness of ST/Acc. to tanks, peruse the EQ2U Profiles of tanks belonging to top 25 guilds in terms of WW progression (http://www.guildprogress.com/eq2/progress). With few exceptions, the vast majority reforge ST/Acc. into something more useful, because for tanks there are so many more valuable stats than ST/Acc. from which to choose.

__________________
"The human race is the most stupid and unfair kind of race. A lot of the runners don't even get decent sneakers or clean drinking water. Some runners are born with a massive head start, every possible help along the way and still the referees seem to be on their side. It's not surprising a lot of people have given up competing altogether and gone to sit in the grandstand, eat junk and shout abuse. What the human race needs is a lot more streakers." -- Banksy
hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
Davngr1

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,179
Default

hoosierdaddy wrote:

Mermut wrote:

At least for non-tanks, accuracy DOES make a difference. I've gone from 2-5 'pages' of misses in ACT to none with 20-30% accuracy. I still have a few 'pages' of block/parry/riposte, but as a priest melee skills are harder to come by and only so many adornment slots take weaponry adorns.

Right on. I can't speak to its effect on non-tank hit rate%, since I don't play one.

Tanks will innately have a lower hit rate% than all other melee classes, however, due to the mechanics of standing in front of the mob, rather than behind it. You'll never see much higher than an 80% auto-attack hit rate as a tank, and generally it's closer to 70% in zones like HM Drunder/PoW.

I'm pretty sure that's the way the devs intended it to be and no amount of ST/Acc. is going to bring a tank close to true melee dps in terms of hit rate%.

To illustrate the effectiveness of ST/Acc. to tanks, peruse the EQ2U Profiles of tanks belonging to top 25 guilds in terms of WW progression (http://www.guildprogress.com/eq2/progress). With few exceptions, the vast majority reforge ST/Acc. into something more useful, because for tanks there are so many more valuable stats than ST/Acc. from which to choose.

 i still think reckless is a moronic ability that is unbalanced among all classes. also unbalanced among tanks, that is FACT and it was me who "lambasted" all the scrubs on that "other" site. 

  i actually DO know and it is you who is ignorant posting about ju ju bean mechanics.   when i in FACT post what was said by a developer ABOUT hit/miss/avoid  formulas. 

  ST/accuracy does indeed work for every class.  

  tanks will always have lower hit rates than scouts (even behind the mob) because their class has a lower modifier. 

  melee skills and accuracy are both modifiers but melee skills only need to be 100> the mob to reach full effectiveness.  getting skills over 100> is wasted as far as accuracy but does still benefit greatly because it modifies lower end damage.

 consider yourself educated, just like the scrubs on that "other" site.

__________________
Davngr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
hoosierdaddy

Loremaster
hoosierdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 302
Default

Davngr1 wrote:

 i still think reckless is a moronic ability that is unbalanced among all classes. also unbalanced among tanks, that is FACT and it was me who "lambasted" all the scrubs on that "other" site. 

  i actually DO know and it is you who is ignorant posting about ju ju bean mechanics.   when i in FACT post what was said by a developer ABOUT hit/miss/avoid  formulas. 

  ST/accuracy does indeed work for every class.  

  tanks will always have lower hit rates than scouts (even behind the mob) because their class has a lower modifier. 

  melee skills and accuracy are both modifiers but melee skills only need to be 100> the mob to reach full effectiveness.  getting skills over 100> is wasted as far as accuracy but does still benefit greatly because it modifies lower end damage.

 consider yourself educated, just like the scrubs on that "other" site.

Dav. /sigh

I don't know how much you sponsored the site to get that post removed, but even your guildmates who you continued to insult were calling you ignorant and asking you to stop posting. Remember?

Besides, I'm not talking about raiding EM Skyshrine with 2.5 groups and mercs, which is what you admit your guild does.

Me and the "scrubs" from the other site are raiding content that you will never see, let alone defeat, until the cap is raised.

Seriously, don't talk about min/maxing until you're at a point to speak from experience. (EM Skyshrine doesn't count.)

The OP wrote, "The important thing to note here is at the time I had max strikethrough and about 60% accuracy." So the effectiveness of these skills varies greatly depending on the zone and encounter.

Also, your suggestion that weapon skills needs to only be 100> the mob doesn't take into consideration disarms (and a gang of other factors), which if you haven't noticed are rampant in new content.

__________________
"The human race is the most stupid and unfair kind of race. A lot of the runners don't even get decent sneakers or clean drinking water. Some runners are born with a massive head start, every possible help along the way and still the referees seem to be on their side. It's not surprising a lot of people have given up competing altogether and gone to sit in the grandstand, eat junk and shout abuse. What the human race needs is a lot more streakers." -- Banksy
hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
Davngr1

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,179
Default

i'm trying to teach you but you don't seem to want to listen.

  those names probably have temp abilities that render strikethru useless and he probably failed the hit/miss check and the "special" avoid reverted to show as the reason why he didn't hit the mob SINCE it was stated by a dev that if you MISS after passing an avoidance/special check it will show the AVOIDANCE check instead of just a miss. 

 ya dig?  can you understand now, kid?

 being disarmed or not has nothing to do with anything that you're saying unless you're talking about loosing the melee skills buffs on your weaps? 

  lol

   you've been bested sir, please digress.

__________________
Davngr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #14
Ratman12345

Loremaster
Ratman12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 90
Default

If only they ever casted these said "temps" you claim.

Acc is pointless, even as a coercer my hit rates are higher than some scouts in pow, and i have like 15-20 from raid buffs, compaired to there 40ish or something (i dont even bother looking at theirs), so not only do i less acc but i have higher hit rates.

__________________
Ratman12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #15
Davngr

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 76
Default

Ratman12345 wrote:

If only they ever casted these said "temps" you claim.

Acc is pointless, even as a coercer my hit rates are higher than some scouts in pow, and i have like 15-20 from raid buffs, compaired to there 40ish or something (i dont even bother looking at theirs), so not only do i less acc but i have higher hit rates.

they have abilities just like regular players.  mater of fact mobs have classes as well, some are coercers others are guards others are hybrids of one or more classes.  

 some people are just too thick to notice things in their parse and then come and insult people who are nice enough to help them get a clue.  notice the times that these blocks happen and how close together?   

  didn't see that did you? 

 lol at my account being banned yet again because people continue to insult me when i'm clearly trying to help.  

 further more..  i WILL repeat myself because i know you totally skated right past what i SAID!

  the blocks you see on regular mobs OR random on names is because he DEFEATED the block check (with strikethru) then lost the hit/miss check.   when that happens the game reverts back to the special BLOCK check and displays that on logs.

 about the chanter hit rates.  who knows?  maybe chanters have a better modifier than scouts since this was probably done around the time that combat mechanics got reworked and this was about the same time that KOS AA where coming out and thus devs wanted to make them hybrid melee classes. 

  of course this is taken at your word, i'll look at parses next raid and see how the enchanters hit rates are and if they are better than my own.    

Davngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #16
Ratman12345

Loremaster
Ratman12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 90
Default

I know they cast spells, and have their own class, something you learn playing a coercer is which npc to make a pet out of.

However, the npc still dont cast any temps that screws with your hitrates (besides the guardian npc when they actually do finish a Guardian Sphere or Sentry Watch but probably not likely), they spam normal non-aa abilities along with their big aoe or and a DT if they have one.

__________________
Ratman12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:00 AM   #17
hoosierdaddy

Loremaster
hoosierdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 302
Default

PoW zonewide:

I have 0% accuracy and ~20% incidental strikethrough. Mind you, I was off-tanking and, therefore, in front of the mob. Also, I was switching between O-Stance and D-Stance, so weapon skills ranged from ~600 to >700. (No Reckless, since it's been rendered useless except for lulz.) The proof is in the pudding.

__________________
"The human race is the most stupid and unfair kind of race. A lot of the runners don't even get decent sneakers or clean drinking water. Some runners are born with a massive head start, every possible help along the way and still the referees seem to be on their side. It's not surprising a lot of people have given up competing altogether and gone to sit in the grandstand, eat junk and shout abuse. What the human race needs is a lot more streakers." -- Banksy
hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #18
Davngr

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 76
Default

hoosierdaddy wrote:

PoW zonewide:

I have 0% accuracy and ~20% incidental strikethrough. Mind you, I was off-tanking and, therefore, in front of the mob. Also, I was switching between O-Stance and D-Stance, so weapon skills ranged from ~600 to >700. (No Reckless, since it's been rendered useless except for lulz.) The proof is in the pudding.

no dirge? or any other type of raid/group accuracy buff? and yes it's no secret that the soft cap for accuracy is pretty low and after that you need to get a ton for a small improvement. probably 20%-30% is the soft cap for most mobs and it does change from mob to mob depending on what buff package it received from devs.

Ratman12345 wrote:

I know they cast spells, and have their own class, something you learn playing a coercer is which npc to make a pet out of.

However, the npc still dont cast any temps that screws with your hitrates (besides the guardian npc when they actually do finish a Guardian Sphere or Sentry Watch but probably not likely), they spam normal non-aa abilities along with their big aoe or and a DT if they have one.

how can you say that?  do you even know what guardian sphere and sentry watch do?    srsly lol

 do you not look at your parses and notice how everyone is being avoided at certain times? the mobs cast a protection ability and everything you try to hit the mob with misses. maybe it's because you don't play a real melee class thus don't pay attention and try to time mob abilities and such.

Davngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #19
Serik
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Order of the Outcast
Rank: Officer

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 31
Default

hoosierdaddy wrote:

PoW zonewide:

I have 0% accuracy and ~20% incidental strikethrough. Mind you, I was off-tanking and, therefore, in front of the mob. Also, I was switching between O-Stance and D-Stance, so weapon skills ranged from ~600 to >700. (No Reckless, since it's been rendered useless except for lulz.) The proof is in the pudding.

Posting a zonewide where most of the combat time is spent on trash is garbage data.  Of course you will have a higher hitrate on trash than on names that have ridiculous avoidance.

As far as mob protection abilities go, if they ever use anything like that it should show up in the mob's buff window.  I've never seen anything like that before in a buff window, but if you have hard evidence of that post it.

Thanks for the responses.

Serik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
hoosierdaddy

Loremaster
hoosierdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 302
Default

At any rate, your question has been answered. In fact, you seem to have answered it in your OP. 100% strikethrough is not 100% strikethrough. The effectiveness of accuracy, however, still seems to be somewhat in question.

For example: Is Accuracy contested based upon your level vs. level of mob or uncontested indepent of con? Does it benefit archetypes differently based on some innate difference in hit% modifier?

Obviously you have the stats to reforge in and out of Acc./ST, and you have already collected preliminary data, so continue to gather samples with as much and as little Acc./ST as possible on the same names and compare the data.

If there is a point of diminishing returns on hit rate%, this should become evident through a large enough sample size. After concluding your own investigation, please report back here and let us know of your findings.

If this seems too daunting a process, perhaps you could try conducting a search on another site (such as Flames) for someone who may have already gathered such data. Doing so may save you a considerable amount of time.

Not trying to be patronizing here. Just pointing out that nobody seems to have a very solid grasp of the exact mechanics of either Accuracy or Strikethough (perhaps even the devs).

__________________
"The human race is the most stupid and unfair kind of race. A lot of the runners don't even get decent sneakers or clean drinking water. Some runners are born with a massive head start, every possible help along the way and still the referees seem to be on their side. It's not surprising a lot of people have given up competing altogether and gone to sit in the grandstand, eat junk and shout abuse. What the human race needs is a lot more streakers." -- Banksy
hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #21
hoosierdaddy

Loremaster
hoosierdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 302
Default

Found this in a two-minute search on Flames, as a response to an OP who asks almost the same question as you:

I would say go through your logs and find out what is happening. Are you missing more or are your attacks being parried and blocked. Those are 2 different things, accuracy does nothing for blocks and parries and strikethrough does nothing for misses. I was having trouble with my hit rate also and personally it was more from blocks and parries almost a 2-1 ratio. Also there is no hard cap on combat skills unless this has been changed from June of last year. Combat skills are contested against the mobs defense and avoidance, and you need 100 more skill than they have defense to receive max benefit. I first raised my skills to 727 then got more strikethrough I noticed gains from both. Hope this helps.

__________________
"The human race is the most stupid and unfair kind of race. A lot of the runners don't even get decent sneakers or clean drinking water. Some runners are born with a massive head start, every possible help along the way and still the referees seem to be on their side. It's not surprising a lot of people have given up competing altogether and gone to sit in the grandstand, eat junk and shout abuse. What the human race needs is a lot more streakers." -- Banksy
hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #22
Ratman12345

Loremaster
Ratman12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 90
Default

Davngr wrote:

hoosierdaddy wrote:

PoW zonewide:

I have 0% accuracy and ~20% incidental strikethrough. Mind you, I was off-tanking and, therefore, in front of the mob. Also, I was switching between O-Stance and D-Stance, so weapon skills ranged from ~600 to >700. (No Reckless, since it's been rendered useless except for lulz.) The proof is in the pudding.

no dirge? or any other type of raid/group accuracy buff? and yes it's no secret that the soft cap for accuracy is pretty low and after that you need to get a ton for a small improvement. probably 20%-30% is the soft cap for most mobs and it does change from mob to mob depending on what buff package it received from devs.

Ratman12345 wrote:

I know they cast spells, and have their own class, something you learn playing a coercer is which npc to make a pet out of.

However, the npc still dont cast any temps that screws with your hitrates (besides the guardian npc when they actually do finish a Guardian Sphere or Sentry Watch but probably not likely), they spam normal non-aa abilities along with their big aoe or and a DT if they have one.

how can you say that?  do you even know what guardian sphere and sentry watch do?    srsly lol

 do you not look at your parses and notice how everyone is being avoided at certain times? the mobs cast a protection ability and everything you try to hit the mob with misses. maybe it's because you don't play a real melee class thus don't pay attention and try to time mob abilities and such.

Dude i know exactally what the 2 skills do, but what i'm trying to teach you since you can't seem to understand from your other grand showing from Flames with Reck Stance is that they don't cast any buffs on themselfs to do such a thing.

Trying to help you improve by letting you know its not some magical ability they keep casting that messes with your hit rates, it's just the block, parry, and dodge stats of the npc. Unless the npc has a buff on them saying they gain extra avoidance, they won't increase it cause they don't cast any avoidance buffing temp spells.

Probably should of put down earlier i'm somewhere in the 850 range on combat skills in raid, but whatever, done arguing with you, its like the reck stance thread all over again with people telling you how it really is.

__________________
Ratman12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #23
Davngr

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 76
Default

Ratman12345 wrote:

Davngr wrote:

hoosierdaddy wrote:

PoW zonewide:

I have 0% accuracy and ~20% incidental strikethrough. Mind you, I was off-tanking and, therefore, in front of the mob. Also, I was switching between O-Stance and D-Stance, so weapon skills ranged from ~600 to >700. (No Reckless, since it's been rendered useless except for lulz.) The proof is in the pudding.

no dirge? or any other type of raid/group accuracy buff? and yes it's no secret that the soft cap for accuracy is pretty low and after that you need to get a ton for a small improvement. probably 20%-30% is the soft cap for most mobs and it does change from mob to mob depending on what buff package it received from devs.

Ratman12345 wrote:

I know they cast spells, and have their own class, something you learn playing a coercer is which npc to make a pet out of.

However, the npc still dont cast any temps that screws with your hitrates (besides the guardian npc when they actually do finish a Guardian Sphere or Sentry Watch but probably not likely), they spam normal non-aa abilities along with their big aoe or and a DT if they have one.

how can you say that?  do you even know what guardian sphere and sentry watch do?    srsly lol

 do you not look at your parses and notice how everyone is being avoided at certain times? the mobs cast a protection ability and everything you try to hit the mob with misses. maybe it's because you don't play a real melee class thus don't pay attention and try to time mob abilities and such.

Dude i know exactally what the 2 skills do, but what i'm trying to teach you since you can't seem to understand from your other grand showing from Flames with Reck Stance is that they don't cast any buffs on themselfs to do such a thing.

Trying to help you improve by letting you know its not some magical ability they keep casting that messes with your hit rates, it's just the block, parry, and dodge stats of the npc. Unless the npc has a buff on them saying they gain extra avoidance, they won't increase it cause they don't cast any avoidance buffing temp spells.

Probably should of put down earlier i'm somewhere in the 850 range on combat skills in raid, but whatever, done arguing with you, its like the reck stance thread all over again with people telling you how it really is.

 if i'm always avoided/miss at a certain point of a fight then i know that it's part of the mobs script.   a lot of names have this happen at a certain hp/time when the mob becomes harder to hit.    how would you explain that?     my contested rolls always seem to fail at same time/hp% hardly logical.     

  those two guardian temps you mention do nothing for or against hit rates what so ever like you suggested and your 850 skill does nothing for hit rates past 100> than the mobs defensive skills.  just like i said on the first page. 

 yes level is a HUGE modifier since all of the hit/avoid formula is contested vs. your target NOT yourself.   only uncontested avoidance is temps and dodge.

Davngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #24
Ratman12345

Loremaster
Ratman12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 90
Default

Never suggested that Guardian Sphere or Sentry Watch messed with hit rates, simply that they were temps.

yes u only need 100> however you don't exactally know when you have hit that point, and seeing how my auto is my highest source of damage and nothing else to adorn for i figure having a higher minimal damage is nice.

__________________
Ratman12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:11 AM   #25
Davngr

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 76
Default

  this is what a dev said about the hit/miss formula a couple years ago.  these are some of the variables that affect it.

Rothgar

Yes, there are lots of factors that determine what it takes to hit and it depends on if you're hitting a PC or NPC. There's armor-based avoidance, then class-based avoidance. Then there's a modifier for agility. Then its based on your offensive skill against their defensive skill. Then there's a modifier based on con-level (white, blue, green, etc). And then if the defender is a brawler its modified yet again. Then after that its modified by weapon accuracy modifiers.

  i'm not 100% on names using temps because obviously they don't cast them and no dev has said they have them but the fact that mobs seem to always shell up at certain times in a fight tells me that it's either that a great percentage of raid debuffs are falling off the mob or the mob is acquiring additional stats momentarily from something in their script.    the mob in LoA use to enter 4 different stages and there are abilities in game that increase and decrease stats according to hp% (crusader increased focus after 50%, brawler mitt/melee mod after 30%?) so it's would not be very difficult to add this to a mob or even tie it into it's script instead of it's hp%.    no i have no been able to find an icon for this but frankly i don't even think the icon window is large enough to show every effect.

 i all ready been thru the common sense stuff that you and other posters bring up and have rationalized past them because the data shows that the "simple" explanations don't add up.

edit.

 pro tip:

 a caster class should stock up on "casting skills" instead of "melee skills"

Davngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #26
Neiloch

Loremaster
Neiloch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,430
Default

Davngr wrote:

 i'm not 100% on names using temps because obviously they don't cast them and no dev has said they have them but the fact that mobs seem to always shell up at certain times in a fight tells me that it's either that a great percentage of raid debuffs are falling off the mob or the mob is acquiring additional stats momentarily from something in their script.    the mob in LoA use to enter 4 different stages and there are abilities in game that increase and decrease stats according to hp% (crusader increased focus after 50%, brawler mitt/melee mod after 30%?) so it's would not be very difficult to add this to a mob or even tie it into it's script instead of it's hp%.    no i have no been able to find an icon for this but frankly i don't even think the icon window is large enough to show every effect.

 i all ready been thru the common sense stuff that you and other posters bring up and have rationalized past them because the data shows that the "simple" explanations don't add up.

I'm more than willing to wager the devs just don't know. I am reminded of this particular reply:

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...=518492#5761797

Piestro wrote:

Katz wrote:

Unfortunately, a lot has changed since that post.  It would be great to have an updated version if anyone is around that can do one.

That really highlights part of the reason this is difficult.

  1. Maintaining a current posting is hard, because everything is always changing on an MMO. It is the nature of the beast.
  2. Making sure the information is in a clearly comprehensible format is a huge challenge. When you get into very complex mechanics, some of which may use non-linear data, it's hard to understand. It's likely this sort of information expressed in detail will lead people to less understanding rather than more.
  3. Finally, even if you manage to surmount the first two difficulties, the last (that I will list) challenge is time. Do you want people posting and maintaining detailed lists of complex information or do you want them working on adjusting the data itself?
Thanks,

It's a Community Relations red name so I can only hope they are mistaken. otherwise we have a small amount of proof that the devs don't want to do their job properly because it's too hard. (FYI: They are supposed to have all combat changes documented and understandable no matter how frequent or small)

__________________
Neiloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:25 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.