EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Fan Faire 2011, SOE Live! 2012-2013
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #151
Dorieli

Miss_Jackie wrote:

You people need to stop having FF's out in Las Vegas. *Not all of us* can afford a trip there.

I agree, even though I live in Las Vegas.  The Euro people should have one that is sponsored by SOE out there in europe somewhere, the east coast people should be able to have theirs as well.  At least they are not just in San Diego or even in Texas.  Still, other areas should have a chance to sponsor the event as I'm quiet sure convention rooms are much cheaper in other cities outside Las Vegas. We can be quite expensive.

Dorieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #152
shyelfi

I would like to see it held, once in a while in North Eastern Pennsylvania.   Ty

shyelfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #153
As

Dorielith wrote:

Miss_Jackie wrote:

You people need to stop having FF's out in Las Vegas. *Not all of us* can afford a trip there.

I agree, even though I live in Las Vegas.  The Euro people should have one that is sponsored by SOE out there in europe somewhere, the east coast people should be able to have theirs as well.  At least they are not just in San Diego or even in Texas.  Still, other areas should have a chance to sponsor the event as I'm quiet sure convention rooms are much cheaper in other cities outside Las Vegas. We can be quite expensive.

Have to disagree with you here. Being that I am a hotel manager on the strip in Vegas and I have worked in San Diego and Hawaii. Hotels in other states make a high % of their money off the sale of the hotel rooms themselves. While in Vegas we do not sell rooms as high as other cities do. We gain our revenue from gambling, food, alcohol, entertainment and the such. A Fan Faire in say Boston would be more money in Airfaire, Convention Fee, and the cost of your hotel room and I surmise the food pricing might be a bit lower but then again maybe not depending on the cost of living. I personally would not eat @ a McDonalds or Taco Bell when I am on vacation.

Yes, it would be cheaper for someone living in the northeast to drive to say Boston as it would be for someone in SD to drive toVegas, but in Boston your gonna pay a whole lot more for a room. I did a little bit of research on Boston rooms just out of the blue and the cheaper rooms were in a suburb of Boston called Brockton. When you get into the areas where they can hold conventions the room rates average $180 a night. Bally's is $95 a night, my hotel is $99, and the hotel next to me is $80. There is give in take in all of this.

Not to mention with SOE being in SD they can truck all their stuff to Vegas cheaper which keeps attendance fee's lower.

As is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #154
Shylaria

The Quiet Type

I have to agree with Miss Jackie, not everyone can afford to go to Las Vegas.  I live in Cleveland, Ohio, which is a great city in and of itself.  But Id love to see the FF come to atleast Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnatti or within a 200 mile radius of me.  But, to be fair to all EQ and EQ2 players I think Sony should consider having the Fan Faires in a different area of the country atleast every 2-3 years.  If it was close enough for me to get to, Id be the first one to sign up.  Thanks! 

Shylaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #155
packra

July is far better for the family players. in Augest school has already started and makes any trip that extends into the weekday impossible.  I enjoyed the june date from 2009 and was planning to attend this year.  The late dates made that an unatainable goal.  the earlier in the summer is better.  I also agree i like vegas but bring it to other parts of the country.

packra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #156
Leel

Hilton all the way, Ballys is craptastic!

Hilton is right on the rail and far more travel friendly!!!

Those whining about "Not everyone can afford to travel to Vegas" Great, well if EVERYONE could go then it would be an over crowded Comic Con mess...

The cost of having it on the East Coast/Texas(south)/Euro event is substantial!

You guys want it there, then do SOE a favor, get your friends playing!

They are in the process of merging servers in EQ2 due to low pops..

Why would they spend $$$$$$$ to have a FF on the East coast when they are losing pops in current games?

Vegas is about as cheap a vacation as you can get.

And do us a favor, LEAVE YOUR KIDS AT HOME, its bad enough you allow the 10 yr old Napolionic Complex child to play MMORPGs, please dont force us to have to stand near them in line while they whine about how long its taking...

Its Vegas, not Disney World.

Leel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #157
Daily

The Quiet Type

Sounds like a fun trip. 

Far from GA, but Vegas is cheap in comparison to many places.Bally's - good location.

Yea, hopefully not many kids - ew.

Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #158
Leel

Dear SOE,

If you go with the August date you will be having it the SAME weekend as DefCon/Red Hat, IE you will all but DOUBLE your attendance....

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$kkthx

Leel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #159
Vlahkmaak

The Quiet Type

Ballys pool party was a blast - I vote Ballys.  Although the [Removed for Content] I met at the Hilton 2 years ago was pretty hot too.

Vlahkmaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #160
Atan

Happy Camper

Ballys, not cause the location matters so much, but the dates are actually workable.

Atan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #161
Leonard

Bah vegas again  lets try for somewhere  different next year sick of vegas

Boston  or just somewhere other than just vegas every year

Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #162
ch4ot1c0n3

Happy Camper

You know... I still don't see Hawaii in these polls... SMILEY

ch4ot1c0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #163
MsChief

The Quiet Type

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

Well, even though my guild had six B-days the week of the last fan faire, I have to vote for Bally's.  It was the best vacation ever and conveniently located between two starbucks.

For as much crap as people give Sony, I have to say, you all host some of the best parties!!! 

MsChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #164
shyelfi

I know lots of folks that play eq and eq2 that live in North Eastern PA.   I myself would go to a fan faire in an instant if it was closer.   I can't afford to travel to Las Vagas.  Why do the peeps out there, always have all the fun..   There are lots of folks all over that play the eq's.    Feedback from the opposite side of the US may prove to be good, for soe.   Blah, on always having Fan Faire in Vagas or places too far for me to come and have fun too.  

Old 10-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #165
shyelfi

Want to correct that and say, I know lots of folks that play eq and eq2, that live in the North Eastern USA.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:34 AM   #166
Sori

Miss_Jackie wrote:

/agree

Sori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #167
katanallama

The Quiet Type

I'd love it to be east coast as well, but also remember they'd have to move their equipment to the venue, and regardless of where it is not everyone will be able to 'afford' to get there. Although it is  kinda lame that it's always in Vegas, should find venues in other nearby cities.

katanallama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #168
Discord37

The Quiet Type

I vote for East Coast.

Discord37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #169
Darkmystres

Happy Camper

Ballys!!!

Darkmystres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #170
acidze

Vegas is actually a pretty cheap destination.  A lot of airline have good deals on vegas flights.  The hotel rooms are cheap, and I even found eatting out all the time wasn't so bad on the wallet either.  You can find lots of good deals without looking that hard, I think I spend more in a meal going out here at home in upstate NY than I did for a whole day in vegas for meals.   

Last year was my first FF and I plan to go back, tho I thought Vegas was an awful place to have it before, after going it is not at all.  For 2 people It cost me around $2000 and that included a rental car and a 10 day stay, knock that down to no rental car and a 4 day stay and im looking at 1k - 1200 (including airfaire)  and I am coming from upstate NY.    Most places on the east coast will be way more than that!  Without as much in a close proximity to do so almost forcing a rental car if you plan to do anything away from the convention center, unless you happen to drive there, which would only be a small amount of people I am sure.  

Keeping it in Vegas is fine with me, its cheaper for SOE which means cheaper passes and they can spend more on doing other things at the event.  Rather than charging me more and lugging all their staff and equipment over to the east coast.

acidze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:30 AM   #171
donna19

Havent been to vegas yet. Plan on going 2 FF next year. Hilton sounds cheaper than Bally's so I voted for Hilton

donna19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #172
Selerra

Master

arieva wrote:

Oh...and no offense...but leave the kids at home.   Its Vegas...they have no business there...its a teen rated game.  Sitter or don't go!

Yes, the vast majority of SOE games are T for Teen, but I think those kids playing Free Realms and Clone Wars Adventures might not agree with your sentiment.

Selerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #173
bellanorte

The Quiet Type

Bally's in July please

bellanorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #174
Ashlanne

Project Manager

Thank you all for voting and taking part in the discussion.

We will let you know when a decision has been made and contracts have been signed.

Ashlanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #175
ogomniac

SOE Community Council

Whenever, whereever, I am there!

ogomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #176
balqui

aye i went in 08  and that when vangaurd had all the discussion panels n events ect at the hilton  honestly i didnt even have time to cruise the strip or sight see at all there was so much going on at ff i didnt wanna miss anything bein my first time so having at the hilton was a blast.

of course the star trek exp was there which was a bonus i wasnt planning on that  at all and was well worth seeing  the hilton did have the monterail sytsem so it not like ur stranded at the hilton plus hilton HUGE  place lots stuff do n see everything at the hilton , several times hilton staff stopped me and asked me how my convention going and was i having fun ect was i finding everythink ok  did i have any questions ect ,

i wasnt even at a bar or a slot  machine they seen my soe pass around my neck i thought that was cool i could go on n on but ill say this at ff when they say its all bout you the player its not a gimmik they mean it u wont be seeing anyone standing around watching soe staff have fun, there busy  makeing sure ur having fun . be glad when economy picks up again

balqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #177
Scadicca

Happy Camper

Selerra wrote:

arieva wrote:

Oh...and no offense...but leave the kids at home.   Its Vegas...they have no business there...its a teen rated game.  Sitter or don't go!

Yes, the vast majority of SOE games are T for Teen, but I think those kids playing Free Realms and Clone Wars Adventures might not agree with your sentiment.

But how much useful feedback can we expect from the pre-teens playing those games, and how much will they understand the technical details?  I'm sure there are some 10 year olds out there who could give constructive feedback and considered opinions, but I'm also sure they are few and far between.  Even if a particular child is that gifted, there's going to be what, four at most panels relevant to the games they play?  What happens the rest of the time?  If mom/dad/whoever really trusts the kid and the kid is responsible for him/herself, then the kid could probably be trusted in the gaming corner of the vendor room.  But the younger the kid, the less that is an option, so those kids need to be with a responsible adult.  Which means they're going to be in panels that the parents want to be at but the kids have no interest in.  Where they will be expected to sit still and quiet for an hour.

Now, there are kids, even little ones, who can do that.  One girl was no more than 4 and played very quietly next to her mom - but part of that play was a sort of silent peekaboo game with my friend sitting next to me, during which my friend missed most of what was being said.  Yes, said friend willingly engaged in the game.  But if she hadn't, what else might that little girl have started to do to express her boredom?

So yeah, mark me down for the kids really don't have a place there.  Though I'm willing to let them come so long as their parents are willing to leave the panel with the kid the moment the kid starts fussing and/or disturbing those around them.

Scadicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #178
icemanl

balleys is good for me
icemanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:57 AM   #179
Astom

Bally's
Astom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:00 AM   #180
Astom

Bally's