EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Brigand
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-19-2006, 07:00 AM   #1
NemaLVey

Loremaster

I don't know really why I am posting this thread.  Maybe its me, irritated and hating, being all serious with all the changes this year, and to new unexplainable people randomly posting their non-Brig playing views on what our class should be.   I miss the old days, on this forum, with our extremely exaggerated and cynical posts.  I miss the old days that made being a Brigand fun and exciting, leaving many people in a state of "[Removed for Content]!!!" in the game and on the forums.  Maybe we grown up and matured....which to me is kinda boring since I have been there and done that IRL.  This is a game, it should be fun and challenging. Not one or the other.

This may be ill-advised post, with me just rambling bout the past, trying to stir long ago thoughts of other old Brigands.  I just want to see something different on these forums for a small brief moment.  No number crunching, ideal-based theories, and anything remotely serious.  Just basically want to hear about other Brigands fun moments I guess.  Story-time I guess one would say.

For instance, my first time raiding ( this is when there were maybe 3 Brigands above lvl 52 on the server ):

I joined Fallen on Befallen a little over a year ago.  They are a top raiding guild on the server, and it was my first time really raiding with a more serious oriented people than what I was use to in EQ2.  I was a NUB!  I knew nothing of raiding, and was basically becoming bored with soloing and groups, as well as being in a dying guild at the time.  I was very fortunate, I thought and still do think, to be even be allowed to join them on a raid while still being in another guild.  I get to see what raids are like.  I was excited and very nervous, because I didn't want to look like too much of a fool in front of my hopefully new guild. 

I had to download Ventrilo and make some adjustments on it, cuz I could hardly hear Feithen telling me/raid what is going to happen and what we are going to do.  So there I am, a nub, just turned lvl 53 ( scribed the adept 3 of AR ), standing among many veteran players and higher level also, about to attack an orange conned golden dragon in Maj'Dul ( cant remember her name atm ).  All the info Feithen and Gertack said were overwhelming, joust in blah blah joust out blah blah, wait till so and so does whatever.  I was LOST and CONFUSED!  "OMG I a going to mess up", I kept thinking.  

Next thing I remember seeing is a big ogre running out, basically just slap the dragon and run to the corner, and a few others followed in behind the dragon a little later, so I followed those guys.  So there I am.  Hacking at the [Removed for Content] end of a dragon for the first time! I was so thrilled I didn't see the guys I followed in with leave, nor do I remember ever hearing "joust" ( admittedly I never asked what joust was, or why it was so important ).  Next thing I hear is this loud, booming voice of Feithen "... NEMA! JOUST OUT!  YOUR GOING TO DIE!..." ( some explectives were not added in this post )  In that second the dragons AoE went off, and I stood there still hacking at the dragon's rear-end for a bit, wondering if I should ask what "joust out" is now or later...

Ahh well, I thought it was a fun, memorable experience as a Brigand.  No real point to this thread other than memories of an old Brig.
NemaLVey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #2
Masu

General

Funny story lol. SMILEY

Masu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
Timesquare

Loremaster

something goes around comes around lol

all i can say others got nerfed so they want us to get nerfed , but of course SoE wants to change it also  just to suit the new combat changes for EoF

i miss my old days when i can kite kill so easily , now i need to use both snare more often and still getting high chance for my ars pwneed

Timesquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:44 AM   #4
ag

General

I remember arguing with people that the Rake line really did debuff ALL resists, and they never believed me until we /duel'd, and then they believed. SMILEY"Watch those numbers""Uh, they all just dropped to half""Yeah... Hey, you're dead!"

Message Edited by agra on 11-19-2006 06:45 PM

70 Brigand, 70 Coercer, 60 Bruiser, 50 Inquisitor
70 Alchemist, 70 Armorer, 70 Carpenter, 70 Provisioner, 40 Jeweler, 350 Tinkerer

ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:23 AM   #5
Sinadi

General

*chuckle* I remember being the first Brigand to 50 on my old server, and having people trying to get me to pay through the nose for master spells. "I'll give you 10g for that level 40+ master spell. What, that's too little? Sorry but that skill is bugged right now. And the next highest Brigand on the server is level 31. Good luck with your sale!" I remember not being able to use poisons at level 50 because the highest poison was level 40 and mobs resisted based upon the poison level, not the character level. Poisons had a 100% resisted rate past around level 44 or so. I remember when the only true stun was Cheap Shot-the others all broke on damage. I remember getting hit while stealthed and feigning death.I remember stopping playing my Brigand to level up a healer class with my bf, only to hit 50 on the healer and there STILL wasn't another level 50 brigand.Yay for FOTM classes. SMILEY
Sinadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
mikemcmodmi

I've got a funny story.  So this is back in T5 way early in the game.  This was way before they even made all the contesteds orange.

So anyways.... I joined a raiding guild.  I'd been doing well, we'd been kicking some butt.  Did all the daily zones and they'd gone well.  Then we get to the tremblar raid.

I had no idea what to do, or what I should be doing.  So I talked to the dude who sponsored me who was a wizard.  He said he wasn't sure quite honestly but don't do what the assassin nub does because he's an idiot, instead do what the swashy does.  I say OK and I got it.  No problemo.

So I find the swashbuckler, she's in the corner standing there.  So I stand beside her.  The pull comes, assist call, you name it.  I'm still standing beside her and she's not doing anything.  I figure there must be a reason so I just stand there along with her.  So we're fighting and fighting, and about a minute goes off and I say forget this and start attacking.

Ends up the swashbuckler was AFK.  We didn't have the dps so the evil tremblar spawned.... hehe.  This encounter is dps based among a couple of other tricks.  The swashbuckler got made fun of for ninja afking, and I at least was able to say I was doing what I was told....  Funny story, I think that's my most n00b story.  We tried about 4 times on the evil tremblar before zoning out.

mikemcmodmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #7
DarkMirrax

Loremaster

ahhh the good old days !!!!

T5 Naggy runs cos it was all i was useful for [Removed for Content] !!!!

Raiding SOTL and getting owned over and over and over SMILEY

LU13 = New Brigs/Swashies actaully a good class !

A- Yes they do, and yes it does
===========================
Steve Danuser, a.k.a. Moorgard
Game Designer, EverQuest II ... Whats Amazing Reflexes ?? .......

DarkMirrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:48 PM   #8
NemaLVey

Loremaster

Ok, here is another story.

We were in Silent City raid area, doing rounds, and more rounds, upon even more rounds for those "eyes" for the Godking.  We had some stragglers show up and had some adjustments to the groups.  I got placed into a templar, paladin, assassin, something, something group.  Anyhow we proceeded onto the large repulsor area with the giant golems.  The assassin placed his hate upon the only plate tank there was in the group ( we were not the MT group btw )... the Paladin.  Not sure he knew that or not, before he casted Amends on me.  He puts on his DPS gear, and offensive stance.  So we start in on the repulsor, the assassin is going bout his usual, while I felt a bit more frisky, seeing how my hate incurrment will not be all mine alone.  Roughly 10 seconds into the fight, unbeknown to us because of its not-so-noticeable turning graphics, it began shredding the Paladin, until utlimately he died.  He shrugs it off, thinking he was doing too many CA's, next time will be different...  We continue on to the next replusor, after he rebuffed.  Again, 10 seconds into the fight the mob turns and whacks the heck out of the Paladin.  This time he was a bit discouraged because he was just auto-attacking.  He rebuffs again, puts up his defense stance, equips his tanking gear, all the while we pulled the golem while he did this.  The golem storms off from the raid and splatters the Paladin that was still equiping his gear.  Unfortunately, that was also the last time I got Amends for raids.  :smileysad:

Old 11-20-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
Magus_Bl

I remember kiting named in Commonlands with a BOW (when longbow = proc heaven) and stun poison... and watching the mob sit there permastunned half the fight.  I couldn't believe how long those stuns were lasting... SMILEY

Old 11-20-2006, 09:43 PM   #10
Zagats

Loremaster

I remember when I was low lvl, actually having bow skills instead of throwing skills.  One of the reasons I picked brigand was for bow skills.  By the time they took them away I was already lv 36, so I just kept on going.  Wasnt that big a deal...kinda added a lil flavor to the class.

I also remember when we could be AoE immune permanently, and the LONG list of OMG NOES when they nerfed it to add "Lost Reflexes", and thinking "it isnt that bad really..."
and now I am part of the OMG NOES crowd because this nerf really is bad.

aka

80 Brig - Brekon/ 80 Jeweler/ Master Tink/ 198 AA Retired!!!

80 Coercer - Freeqq/ Master Tink/ 168 AA

80 Guard - Zomg/ Master Muter/ 192 AA

80 Zerk - Zomg (R.I.P)

80 Zerk - Barn/ 80 Provi/ 162 AA

80 Dirge - Micetro/ 165AA

80 Swash - Erno/ 141 AA

80 Templar - Shortey/ 75 Alchy/ 151 AA

80 Inquis - Ubet (R.I.P)

80 Templar - Ubet (R.I.P)

80 Wiz - Brnd/ 145AA

72Conjy - Zzzz

71 Assasin - Scoole

70 Swash - Bladeflash

... I play too much.
Zagats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:50 PM   #11
Kegofbud

Loremaster

Ha haaa, good times. ANyone who doesn't remember using a bow CA or FD on breaking of our sneak, should delete his/her brigand and start another fotm.

Yeah, like Nema said about Amends, I got my buddy killed on his pally like that sooo many times. lol

Kegofbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:02 PM   #12
Shidonya

Loremaster

Heh I remember the days of soloing behing temple in feerrott where the eye spawns and dirge buddy of mine wanted in on the action. Back in those days Ruse RULED!!! I'd pull the mob with my incredible proc of my bow not to mention the proc off of PGT and then ruse for the kill and the mob wasn't even close enough yell and me hear it. It became a competition for me to pull and kill it with ruse faster than my dirge buddy to even get a hit in.
Shidonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:24 PM   #13
mikemcmodmi

Wow, I forgot about the fd on sneak.  Boy that was pretty cool back in the day.  It let you get past see invis roamers.  Just train and then hit sneak to fd.   That was pretty ubber.

Anyone remember getting outdpsed by tanks back in T5 raids too?  Boy that sucked.  It seemed like all the mobs were crush weak and pierce immune... /grumble.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:05 AM   #14
Torran

Loremaster

Craven Walk was my first master. That was great stuff.Two of my favorite pre-expansion moments: Trying to get a group for an AQ in Nek. 2X brigand LFG! Response: brigand, what is that, a tank? Second was every healer's reaction to ruse the first time they saw it. Priceless!
Torran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:08 AM   #15
Metran

Loremaster

How about the days of only a handful of brigs on a server and looking for a pick up group:
/t from pickup group leader : "Brigands can heal right?"  or when ruse(before there was a ruse line) was actually was useful for something other than soloing SMILEY

Metran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:17 AM   #16
DarkMirrax

Loremaster

mikemcmodmike wrote:

Wow, I forgot about the fd on sneak.  Boy that was pretty cool back in the day.  It let you get past see invis roamers.  Just train and then hit sneak to fd.   That was pretty ubber.

i so want that back !

Old 11-21-2006, 12:36 AM   #17
AlbinoLou

Loremaster

lol, I remember when i used to get people thinking I was a healer SMILEY  Man, before LU13 nonone seemed to know what a brigand was.
AlbinoLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:51 AM   #18
Lockeye

Developer

- Getting puzzled responses by evil races at their first sight of a qeynosian race in Fallen Gate, and asking what a Brigand was.
- Using 'Brugle' and navigating my group through Runnyeye to the best experience and loot drop areas.
- Waiting a full 3 seconds for Lie Low to finish casting, and hoping that I wasn't already dead by the time it finished.
- Getting hit in combat after using Craven Walk, losing valuable DPS potential.
- Using Ruse as a forward-only ranged attack that did very little damage, but later it changed and became an odd DPS staple I used.
- Wondering if Beg for Mercy really ever needed to be on my hotbars.
- 'Rash Advance' was my DPS temporary buff, and 'Blackguard' was my emergency defensive ability.
- Cheap Shot Adept III was a must have.
- Weekly raids on Spirits of the Lost and trying to outparse the Berserker.

Message Edited by Lockeye on 11-20-2006 11:51 AM

Lockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:51 AM   #19
Sete Soujiro

Loremaster

Shidonya wrote:
Heh I remember the days of soloing behing temple in feerrott where the eye spawns and dirge buddy of mine wanted in on the action. Back in those days Ruse RULED!!! I'd pull the mob with my incredible proc of my bow not to mention the proc off of PGT and then ruse for the kill and the mob wasn't even close enough yell and me hear it. It became a competition for me to pull and kill it with ruse faster than my dirge buddy to even get a hit in.

Lol, i forgot ruse had that limitless range back in the day, as long as the mob was facing you you could ruse it.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:56 AM   #20
DarkMirrax

Loremaster

:smileymad:

Lockeye wrote:

- Getting puzzled responses by evil races at their first sight of a qeynosian race in Fallen Gate, and asking what a Brigand was.
- Using 'Brugle' and navigating my group through Runnyeye to the best experience and loot drop areas.
- Waiting a full 3 seconds for Lie Low to finish casting, and hoping that I wasn't already dead by the time it finished.
- Getting hit in combat after using Craven Walk, losing valuable DPS potential.
- Using Ruse as a forward-only ranged attack that did very little damage, but later it changed and became an odd DPS staple I used.
- 'Rash Advance' was my DPS temporary buff, and 'Blackguard' was my emergency defensive ability.
- Cheap Shot Adept III was a must have.
- Weekly raids on Spirits of the Lost and trying to outparse the Berserker.

Oye ! who said you could post here ? last i checked your Officially banned from the Brigand Forums since the day you broke Craptastic Reflexes !!

[expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] these noob brigands !

Begone Evil one and get working on a fix for our leet skilz !! lol

Message Edited by DarkMirrax on 11-20-2006 07:59 PM

Old 11-21-2006, 01:18 AM   #21
Fromingo

Loremaster

That's right drive the poor dev off...now he'll never fix us!  :smileytongue:
Fromingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:12 AM   #22
yac

Fromingo wrote:That's right drive the poor dev off...now he'll never fix us! 
Considering the ammount of feedback that was given in Beta and where we're at now, how much faith do you have that they will listen to us NOW?
yac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:30 AM   #23
Fijjy

Loremaster

Well, I wasn't a brig back when Craven Walk was available, but I did start him in early DoF, BEFORE I knew about AR or anything, so I wouldn't say I was a FOTM member, just very close to the influx of brigs by proxy.I must say that sniping people with Ruse in duels was one of my favorites.  I killed many a wizard with that trick.  And then there was the time I "tested" Ruse against a monk's multi-hit attack and took him from 100% to dead in a flash.  The other people standing around were all slack-jawwed.
Fijjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:31 AM   #24
NemaLVey

Loremaster

Long ago, in a galaxy unlike todays... Befuddle Adversaries was much more different.  Instead of a % to proc, it was a 100% chance to drop postion by 1 if hit by a mob.  This was very useful, imho, if I went overboard, or felt more frisky than usual.  It was also a seed of hate and vile cursing from tanks that didnt pull fast enough, or as fast as I liked them to pull.

One time in DoF, a few weeks before it was ultimately altered, I was in a group working on faction quests for Maj'Dul.  Kill this type of orc, and this type, and get some named to spawn.  Anyhow, the group I was in was going up the middle of the "Orc Highway" slaughtering everything, till nothing was up, or respawned so slowly.  The tank wouldnt budge from the spot to pull orcs in the meantime, out of fear of someone taking the named that was needed for the quest, should it pop.  This made me bored, and a bored Brigand is very dangerous at the time ( imho ).  I ran out from the group, and started smacking orcs, they would in-turn smack me, Befuddle proc'ed, and the orcs would then start sprinting to my group.  Did this for about 10 minutes or so until the tank said," Where are all these orcs comming from?"  I laughed for bout 2 minutes, then kept on pulling! :smileyhappy:

I think at the time Assassins use to get a burst of speed when thier self invis broke.  I use to catch alot of grief when me and an Assassin friend of mine would do dungeon crawls, I would FD and she would get torn to pieces faster by running into more mobs.:smileytongue:   Craven Walk was awesome, excpet when AoE'd by a magic caster on pull. 

Woot, need more Dev responses!  Its a rarity, and its good to see on the Brig forums!  So no jumping the red-names plz ( unless they really ask for it ).  :smileywink:

Message Edited by NemaLVey on 11-20-2006 06:09 PM

Old 11-21-2006, 06:36 AM   #25
mikemcmodmi

Oh yea, I forgot about that with Craven Walk.  I used to try to solo by pulling with our sneak attack.  Then I'd fd every time and would wonder what was going on.  I must have tried this about 30 times before figuring out what was going on and realizing you couldn't pull with our sneak attack.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:58 AM   #26
Lyasa

Loremaster

i remember first time i ever used craven walk i walked into a room in RoV w/a see invis mob, group outside and ended up flopping over... i thought id taken 2 hits and died.... then a few seconds later i stood up and died for real, cause i wasn't paying attention. i'd forgotten about the fd.

Ruse was the ultimate pull skill. i think i tried to find the max range on it. basically so long as i could target it, and it was facing me, i could get it. and do ~5-700 damage too.

also remember smuggle and it's later version. burgle. and all the stealths had a 50% speed reduction (welll burgle had a slowly scaling down reduction, think i was ~25% when they changed sneaks to just suspend run speed buffs)

also remember being jealous of snakes in Nek, since they could rake from any direction.

never had lie low, as i was only ~33 when DoF came out.

and do remember the added 3rd attack to the flurry that you could get at lv 30.

PS. brig's suck, roll an assassin.

Lyasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:29 AM   #27
Dtrick

Loremaster

Using craven walk to split pull for our regular xp group. 

Listening to assassins complain about ruse because we were getting the highest melee hits on the server.

Actual skill choices instead of master 2's.

Being asked what a brig was when I was LFG.

Never finding a group when I was LFG.

PGT and FBSS being the MUST HAVE gear.

Dtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:37 AM   #28
mikemcmodmi

Yea, leveling as a brigand sucked back then.  I was lucky I had some good friends and guildies to level with.  It took a lot of skill to play the class well so there were brigands who gave the class a bad name.

I would regularly outdps assassin and used ruse every fight.  There were other brigands who were regularly low.  They made getting groups hard with the bad rap they gave us.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:00 AM   #29
Mayhem2k

Loremaster

Lockeye wrote:

Haha those were the days, I never put the Beg for Mercy line on my hotbar till I started raiding--for those silly casters.
Mayhem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:15 AM   #30
Raff

No brigand should ever beg... we should only grant mercy SMILEY
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote