EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Zones and Population
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-04-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
Troubor

Loremaster

Location: My Felwithe Mansion (and a couple other smaller homes), currently.

Everyone,

I decided to post this here since although the NPC is needed to start a quest, one cannot get it until he's freed..thus IMO I feel a post in the zone forum is logical.

Anyway, this NPC is bugged.  Yes, I know some can free him...and some suggest killing all but the Vultak prisoners to do so. yet I know others who have killed the vultaks and freed him.  I've tried this, and other ideas, both suggested by others and just random ideas, and nothing.  He needs to be freed so I can get the 13th quest in the Claymore series...I am at a deadlock with what is the core non-HQ series of KOS due to this.

Before anyone asks, I've gone in their with massive DPS..myself (70th pally), one healer, rest casters and scouts for DPS..wiped the isle, both killing the vultaks, and not killing them.  I've tried only killing the things in his cell to see if that works, nothing.  I've tried waiting for the whole isle to respawn, then starting, and then not killing the vultaks, nothing. 

I even submitted a report to a CS Agent, they said "It is a known issue, the Development Team is working on it..." but then refused to give me even a rough ETA, or do anything to help me either get the quest, or skip forward to the 14th one, or anything else to help me, other then the statement about it being a "Known issue".

Well...since it is bugged..and seems to be haphazard as to when/how to free him...(maybe not kill the Vultaks, which again didn't do a thing for me, etc...) and since I know we've wiped the isle fast enough numerous times...my question is this:

WILL this get fixed?  If so, when?  If not, will something be done, so we can either skip this and continue the quest, or so that it can be done without freeing him?

Please give us an ETA on this.  If it's LU24, then tell us.  If it's uncertain, but once LU24 is patched in, then they will work on it, say that.  Don't just say "Soon"..then let us sit.  (saw another thread where a developer said "Soon" back on April 3rd...)

Please..is this too much to ask?

Oh..and if someone wishes to flame this..don't.  :p  I'll just ignore you..and all you've done is bump my thread, doing me a favor.  SMILEY

Old 06-04-2006, 07:21 PM   #2
Gertack_v2

Loremaster

Come back after a server reset and chances are he'll work again, until it breaks of course.
Gertack_v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
Troubor

Loremaster

Gertack wrote:
Come back after a server reset and chances are he'll work again, until it breaks of course.

Wish I could play in the mornings to do this...my time to play is in the late afternoon to early evenings into the night.  Not flaming your advice, I may have to stay up or just get up to try this, but well...this does still make it obnoxious, and doesn't actually fix the problem.

But sincerely, thanks for the advice, when I actually can come on right after a server update/patch, I'll give this a go.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:21 PM   #4
Gertack_v2

Loremaster

He doesn't break that quickly, usually.  I got him to fly away after a night of raiding, at about 11pm eastern.
Gertack_v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #5
atjtennis

Loremaster

Yup having the exact same issue here as well
Old 06-04-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
Bi

General

sucks but - this is what happens when SOE decide to leave servers up for 4 days running.They really should be working on a way to reset ring events every day without resetting the server(even if it's making certain zones unavailable and opening concurrent ones (Sanctum 2,3 etc, closing sanctum1- say make it inaccessible for ppl not already in a grp, and sent a zonewide "this instanceis coming down in 1hr")anyways - to your problem . server resets are the best time, but usually during the week these dont break every day(altohugh they do break some days)
Old 06-05-2006, 01:17 AM   #7
HeiligHangranate

Fansite Staff

I know of two problems that can cause what you're seeing.  I ran into this when I ran the quest.

First, to get  him to fly away, all the clippers have to be dead.  All of them at the same time.  It's easy to start killing all the clippers on the isle and end up with the two in front of him, thinking that you've got them all, but some will have respawned by then. 

Second, I've heard that there is a pair of clippers who fall through the world and end up inside the isle, at the bottom.  There's no way to aggro them from above, so you're stuck until  the server resets.  However, I heard from someone that you can jump off the isle sliding along the side as you go down, and aggro them as you go past.  This can cause them to reset, but of course, you end up dying.  Not a bad tradeoff, though, in order to get the quest going again.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:45 AM   #8
Troubor

Loremaster

HeiligHangranate wrote:
I know of two problems that can cause what you're seeing.  I ran into this when I ran the quest.

First, to get  him to fly away, all the clippers have to be dead.  All of them at the same time.  It's easy to start killing all the clippers on the isle and end up with the two in front of him, thinking that you've got them all, but some will have respawned by then. 

Second, I've heard that there is a pair of clippers who fall through the world and end up inside the isle, at the bottom.  There's no way to aggro them from above, so you're stuck until  the server resets.  However, I heard from someone that you can jump off the isle sliding along the side as you go down, and aggro them as you go past.  This can cause them to reset, but of course, you end up dying.  Not a bad tradeoff, though, in order to get the quest going again.

Thanks again for the advice.  Going to take the liberty to comment on your post:

1)  Best we could tell, we did clear everything.  We tried both clearing all but the prisoners, and clearing everything including them too.  We even tried having one person run around the isle while we were in the cell to see if something had respawned.  No clippers.

2)  Haven't tried a suicide slide off the island....I'll see if I get to the point of trying this..seems a bit touch and go to me to be honest, but maybe I'll try it.

Do appricate the advice though.

One question..has anyone counted how many total clipper mobs are up, including the set guarding him.  Is it always the exact same number?  Reason I ask is if there's one less killed when I'm done, I'd be willing to suicide slide off if the rest of my group would be willing to kill the one when it comes out of being floored (islaned?) and pops up top.

And again..okay it is a weekend..but short of the other thread having one post from a developer dated on the 3rd of April saying "soon", when will this get attention from a Developer...both this post, and the actual bug?  When will this be fixed?

Old 06-05-2006, 08:18 AM   #9
Crib92

Loremaster

I had the same problem the first two times I tried to free him.  At one point we had three groups on the island just killing everything simultaneously.  He wouldn't fly away.

Then last week did it with a normal group and no problem.  /shrug It was pretty frustrating to not be able to advance the quest line because of the bug. 

Good luck with it.  We did it again for another group today so hopefully you will get lucky on your next try.

Crib92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:12 AM   #10
Troubor

Loremaster

If I can stay up, I'm going to see if there's a server patch Tuesday morning.  If there is, I'm going to try to get a group then, with hopes that a server reset/patch will let me do it.  Pass or fail, I'll try to remember to post the results in this thread, and the other one I know about regarding him being bugged.

Having said that, even if I do get past him, do plan on persuing this untiil it IS fixed.  It's absurd that this has been left as a known issue but not fixed for at least 2 months now.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
zjusti

This has to be the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.  This mob has been bugged for months and months now and yet nothing has been done.  When I first did this quest on my main a GM was willing to take 30 seconds out of his day and spawn the mob for me and let me progress.  I am working on this quest for my alt now and I get some BS copy/paste petition already closed (can't talk to gm's about it now apparantly,  we aren't worthy of their time) about how they know this is bugged and we should keep and eye on the update notes!!!! After 3 months of knowing about this bug what makes anyone think this is going to be fixed in an update?  If a server reset can fix it why put forth the effort and fix it in an update. WHAT A PATHETIC DISPLAY OF CS
zjusti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #12
Troubor

Loremaster

zjustin2 wrote:
This has to be the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.  This mob has been bugged for months and months now and yet nothing has been done.  When I first did this quest on my main a GM was willing to take 30 seconds out of his day and spawn the mob for me and let me progress.  I am working on this quest for my alt now and I get some BS copy/paste petition already closed (can't talk to gm's about it now apparantly,  we aren't worthy of their time) about how they know this is bugged and we should keep and eye on the update notes!!!! After 3 months of knowing about this bug what makes anyone think this is going to be fixed in an update?  If a server reset can fix it why put forth the effort and fix it in an update. WHAT A PATHETIC DISPLAY OF CS

Oh, I agree...I took screenshots of the CS ticket/conversation I had with the GM, since I suspected they could spawn him so I could pick up the quest...they told me the same thing.  Well...guess I can say I've literally lost sleep over this quest, stayed up all night so I could be up a tiny bit after the server patch/reset, now as said before going to try to do it, with hopes this fixes him for long enough for me to rescue him.  But even so, as said before, plan on following and posting in these threads until this is truly fixed...especially now since based on your post, a GM CAN if they want to bother spawn him.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #13
Headhuntre

Loremaster

I did this last Friday without a problem. Tried on Saturday and couldn't get it to work. Went back Monday and it worked again.The only common thing between Friday and Monday was the Warden was up both times, and wasn't up on Saturday. I know the quest says clippers and nothing about the Warden, but both times we killed the Warden and clippers he escaped.

Message Edited by Headhuntre on 06-06-2006 07:22 AM

Headhuntre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:56 PM   #14
Troubor

Loremaster

Headhuntre wrote:
I did this last Friday without a problem. Tried on Saturday and couldn't get it to work.
Went back Monday and it worked again.

The only common thing between Friday and Monday was the Warden was up both times, and wasn't up on Saturday.

I know the quest says clippers and nothing about the Warden, but both times we killed the Warden and clippers he escaped.

Message Edited by Headhuntre on 06-06-2006 07:22 AM

Okay..this is an addendum to my last post.

1)  Not sure if Headhuntre's hypothesis about Warden being up is true, since I did manage to actually free him twice, once to get the quest, once to finish it right after the Nest run.  (We did the quest, did a Nest run, then finished as fast as we could)  First time, Warden was up, second time he wasn't.  Having said that, not discounting his hypothesis at all, could very well be he's needed also.  I know for some of my failed attempts, Warden was up, others he wasn't.

2)  I did do this RIGHT after a server reset.  First time, we avoided the vultak prisoners, second time someone AOEd on mistake, killed vultak prisoners.  Again worked both times, so now suspcious the vultak prisoners bit is like needing the Centaur Captain to spawn Bloodtalon, a rumor/legend spawned from coincedence.

3)  I still very much think this quest is bugged.  I am sure that if I were to come on sometime in the afternoon or evening, and try it, it wouldn't work.  I'm almost amazed the second time worked to be honest, but was within and hour or so of the first time, right at the end of our Nest run.

Again..been many months...that someone has to wait until RIGHT after a server reset to update, is still absurd...I took off time and literally lost sleep to do this.  There's people who can only play on the weekends, way too many days after a server reset, or evening, probably again too long after one, and thus in effect can never solve it..unless it's fixed.

To paraphrase from a song..How Soon is Soon?  Another post says "soon" on April 3rd..two months and counting is soon?

Message Edited by Arvig on 06-06-2006 11:58 AM

Old 06-07-2006, 01:19 AM   #15
zjusti

Stayed up till server reset this morning to get him to pop at whisperwind.  I ran through nest as fast as I could and by the time i got back out to barren sky he was bugged again.  Another 24 hours where I can't do this quest.  I will keep posting here everyday untill this gets fixed.  Apparantly the more posts the better,  seems to work just fine on the Haraghur thread.  Take a hint sony,  fix the mobs that are actually bugged and not that ones that people just don't want to camp.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:43 PM   #16
Despak

Loremaster

Did him today twice inside a two hour space of each run.Make sure at least 6 groups of clippers are about and then slaughter them, hit the jail bit fast and burn through.Both times worked without a hitch.
Despak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:52 AM   #17
Troubor

Loremaster

Despak wrote:
Did him today twice inside a two hour space of each run.

Make sure at least 6 groups of clippers are about and then slaughter them, hit the jail bit fast and burn through.

Both times worked without a hitch.

Maybe so...but did you do so right after a server reset?  I did do it then, and as you can see from my posts, I was fine.  When I tried this on a weekend, just as fast, it didn't work.  So it is bugged.  YES, it's possible to do, I'll admit that..but depending on server population and how many try that day, I would dare to say that even trying in the afternoon or evening PDT after a server reset would be impossible, if more then a couple people did it in the morning...which is likely, since well..one has to get him RIGHT after a server reset you see...

Otherwise, unless someone has the luxury of being able to play weekdays in the morning, it's close to impossible.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #18
Despak

Loremaster

No it was at least 6 hours after a reset.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:31 PM   #19
Timaarit

Loremaster

My guildies also complained that they couldn't get the bird to fly. They were about to log off when one decided to go see the hideout. And there was a duplicate of the highguard. At this point, I joined them to help in nest and after the run, we managed to free him again with no difficulty.
Timaarit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #20
Troubor

Loremaster

Despak wrote:
No it was at least 6 hours after a reset.

Just as a comment, I'd be forced to assume that no-one had tried it that day then.  Of course can't verify this..then again, who knows, maybe it was "stealth fixed"..which would seem odd..usually they try to hide mistakes and then shout about something when it's fixed.  But..when they broke horses for about a week around Memorial Day, they did just stealth fix that.

Guess we'll see if others report it broken or not

Old 06-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #21
Aandien

Loremaster

just drop off the island and aggro the clipper encounter that falls off the island periodically.

fixed.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #22
Troubor

Loremaster

AncientElster wrote:

just drop off the island and aggro the clipper encounter that falls off the island periodically.

fixed.

Erm...okay, I've heard this is possible too, but that IMO isn't a fix at all.  1)  It's iffy at best, one is assuming that one set of wingclippers is "floored" or under the island and 2)  I've done this when I've kept track, and know I killed 7 clipper mobs in total, and not have him fly off, so the High Guard is from what I can see bugged, up and beyond this.

Finally, even if this did 'fix" it every time..it does mean taking exp debt (not a real issue for me, 70th with 49 AA, but for anyone under 70th it is) and equipment damage to 'fix" a quest.  Not a huge expense...but we shouldn't have to do this.

Again, I did FINALLY get past him..but it is still very hit & miss from what I can see, unless he has been fixed very recently.

Not arguing..but "not fixed".  Not at all.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:44 PM   #23
Despak

Loremaster

Read my post before that Anvig - we did it TWICE in a 2 hour period. I also saw him at Whisperwind later that evening also.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:14 AM   #24
Troubor

Loremaster

Despak wrote:
Read my post before that Anvig - we did it TWICE in a 2 hour period. I also saw him at Whisperwind later that evening also.

I'm not TRYING to argue you with you, I did read your post.  :p  I wonder if you're trying to almost argue with me because I dare say something is bugged when you apparently disagree.

IF You read all of mine, I do say it's POSSIBLE he was stealth fixed.  But again IF you read all of mine, I also propose that no-one bothered with him that day.  And that I TOO did it twice in one day..but right after a server reset.

Again, this is speculation on my part, and I admit it..but I implied that before I feel.

As an aside, there's a second post in the quest section, VERY long about this...dating back to March I do believe.  It includes recent posts about him not working.

Again, if he's suddenly working now, great!  But WITHOUT trying to argue, one person's experience, although it adds data, IMO doesn't prove that it is debugged.  But I also admit I am speculating it's still bugged, my assumptions don't prove it's still bugged.

Okay, for Despak's sake, and in general I will restate my requests:

1)  If Bugged, either FIX...or give an ETA..an actual reply.  The old reply in another post of "SOON" posted on April 3rd isn't enough.

2)  If not fixed, then announce it, don't sweep this under the rug.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:11 AM   #25
zjusti

AncientElster wrote:

fixed.

Clippers off the world is usually not the case.  I've killed all 7 and it doesn't fly away.  I won't go into detail on what bugs it just because there are so many [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn]s out there that will bug it on purpose on server ups but the devs know and they have known for a long time.  Its been tested and proven on almost all ring events and still not a [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] thing has been done.  Thank god we got those niffty snowballs and cool candy canes during the holidays,  good to see their time is well spent.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:26 PM   #26
Troubor

Loremaster

Going to post a unique thread on this, and maybe the Friday server reset will cure it, but the green dragon on at least my server (Lucan d'Lere) is bugged now.  Room is sitting empty, everything cleared, dragon nor his 3 or 4 droags that sit in front will pop as of a few hours before my post.

Obviously ring events are very buggy.  Would it be that hard to just have the dragon there, and make it so one has to clear most the room to get to him?  The idea of the ring event is nice..but not when it can be broken like this.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:48 PM   #27
Despak

Loremaster

Was the Overseer up when you cleared?
Old 06-10-2006, 01:07 AM   #28
Troubor

Loremaster

Despak wrote:

If you mean in PoA for the green dragon, I don't know.  Sorry, my last post was unclear, we came in with the room already empty, someone else had cleared a few hours before us, and then didn't get the pop.  We went up after a few hours..we were doing a lot of other things in PoA anyway, figured we'd look there on some bizarre chance it was fixed and no-one mentioned it.

Anyway...no idea what broke it for whomever cleared it a few hours before we marched up there.

Old 06-10-2006, 01:22 AM   #29
Pins

General

Arvig wrote:

Despak wrote:

If you mean in PoA for the green dragon, I don't know.  Sorry, my last post was unclear, we came in with the room already empty, someone else had cleared a few hours before us, and then didn't get the pop.  We went up after a few hours..we were doing a lot of other things in PoA anyway, figured we'd look there on some bizarre chance it was fixed and no-one mentioned it.

Anyway...no idea what broke it for whomever cleared it a few hours before we marched up there.

Yell on the mobs because you goofed up and almost died while duoing it.  The stuff doesn't respawn properly and thus it's easily broken.

Calaglin, Former Illusionist/Guild Leader of Confirmed on Unrest
Pins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:26 AM   #30
Troubor

Loremaster

Pinski wrote:

Arvig wrote:

Despak wrote:

Yell on the mobs because you goofed up and almost died while duoing it.  The stuff doesn't respawn properly and thus it's easily broken.

If you mean I GOOFED UP..again it was already bugged when I got there, the room was empty, someone else cleared the room.  If you mean someone else yelled in the middle after nearly dying, then cleared...I don't know, but your hypothesis does sound plausable IMO.