EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Priest's Sanctum > Fury
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-09-2006, 12:44 AM   #1
Storm_Runner

Loremaster

Hey...have any of you come across this issue.  I'll be soloing and be in combat with a mob and realize I'm running low on health.  While I'm targeting (and hopefully hitting) the mob I try to heal myself.  If I hit the button to cast a heal (with the mob targeted) I get a message that says something along the line of "not a valid target" or something like that (I can't remember exactly).  The only way I can heal myself in combat is to hit F1 to target myself, pray the mob doesn't hit me and make himself my target, cast the heal, and then switch targets back to the mob.  Is this the way it's supposed to work?  I thought that if I cast a heal that it would affect whatever the mob was targeting but it doesn't seem to be working this way.  Any help would be appreciated.
Residents of Butcherblock
Storm_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:47 AM   #2
Rorraent

Loremaster

It works alright for me, you're right in thinking that you heal whoever your target is targeting in which case it should be you, might just want to check that they are actually fighting you.
Rorraent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:55 AM   #3
Thicket Tundrabog

Loremaster

Maybe this is your problem. I'll explain by way of example.You pull two grouped mobs. You fight and heal and manage to kill one of the mobs. You try to heal yourself and can't.This happens when you haven't targeted the second mob. It becomes targeted automatically if it hits you just once more and you'll be able to heal yourself.Targeting yourself for a heal has some risk. You must then consciously retarget the second mob. It won't happen automatically.
Thicket Tundrabog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:11 AM   #4
Kaknya

Tester

Also that you are meleeing the target as well.. some new mobs that i have been playing with recently have a type of knockback that seems to make me loose focus on the target all together.. quite irritating when a second or two could mean the difference between life or death..
Cristiana 73 Illusionist of Test Server
Kaknya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:03 AM   #5
Bulzie

Loremaster

Are you fighting mobs with pets?  I've had same issue with healing myself as I had the mob targeted, but the mob was targeting his pet.  So when I tried to heal, it was trying to heal the pet and not me giving that message.
Bulzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:00 AM   #6
Korrupt-W

General

also back into the fray wont work in that situation.. the rest of the heals shud work fine if ur soloing and targetting through the mob
Old 03-09-2006, 03:28 AM   #7
SpritRaja

Loremaster

he pressed F1 to heal himself BITF wouldnt have worked there either :smileytongue:
SpritRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:57 AM   #8
Korrupt-W

General

ya but if he cast something else it wud have.. just saying heals other then bitf should work.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:03 PM   #9
DarkEle

Thicket Tundrabog wrote:Maybe this is your problem. I'll explain by way of example.You pull two grouped mobs. You fight and heal and manage to kill one of the mobs. You try to heal yourself and can't.This happens when you haven't targeted the second mob. It becomes targeted automatically if it hits you just once more and you'll be able to heal yourself.Targeting yourself for a heal has some risk. You must then consciously retarget the second mob. It won't happen automatically.

This is a good example.  As soon as the mob dies, you lose your target, and then you can't heal yourself.  When the next mob hits you though, you automatically target it since you have nothing targetted and then since it is targetting you, you can heal.

As a side note, if you target yourself using F1, when a mob hits you it won't change your target.  Your target only changes if you have nothing currently targetted.  If you use F1 to heal yourself, you can hit escape to clear your target after your heal, and then the next mob to hit you will cause you to automatically target the mob.

DarkEle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:20 PM   #10
DevilsEnvy

Loremaster

You are getting this message because you are trying to cast "Back in the Fray" which you aren't able to cast on yourself, only others.

DevilsEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:04 AM   #11
Storm_Runner

Loremaster

Thanks for the info.  It might be the pet thing because most of the mobs I was fighting had pets.  It could also be that I was trying to heal after the first mob died but before the second was targetted.  Just bad timing on my part.  It can't be Back into the Fray because my Fury is only level 8 and still on the Island...he doesn't have that spell yet.  He's just a lil fella.  Thanks again for the help.
Residents of Butcherblock
Storm_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:14 PM   #12
Headhuntre

Loremaster

This has happened to me also, and enough times that I know its not Back into the Fray or a pet. When I have an npc targeted and cast bloodflow it sometimes says.. not a valid target....I then need  to either target myself or use another heal..salve or any other. It mainly occurs with bloodflow and not my other heals.
Headhuntre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:45 PM   #13
Bulzie

Loremaster

No Bloodflow at level 8.  I still bet it's either the mob targeting pet issue or casting heal in time lapse from when targeted mob dies and 2nd mob has not gained aggro yet to have you targeted.
Bulzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:15 AM   #14
Dreg

General

What they need to do is automatically assume the target is "self" if nothing is targeted and the spell being cast is a beneficial spell.  This targeting issue really annoys me too.
Dreg is offline   Reply With Quote