EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Support Forums > Tech Area > Connection Support
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Bantu

Loremaster

Would it be possible to get a sticky of the ports we need to open?  After reading some of the posts, it seems like it might fix a lot of problems.  It worked for me /shrug  If it isn't a blatant sercurity issue to list them openly, I think it would help.

BTW, this is a possible fix to "I get kicked back to character select about a minute after I log in and I can't interact with anything for the brief time I'm logged in".

Bantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
Wingrider01

Loremaster

Bantu wrote:

Would it be possible to get a sticky of the ports we need to open?  After reading some of the posts, it seems like it might fix a lot of problems.  It worked for me /shrug  If it isn't a blatant sercurity issue to list them openly, I think it would help.

BTW, this is a possible fix to "I get kicked back to character select about a minute after I log in and I can't interact with anything for the brief time I'm logged in".

the required ports are listed in the knowledge base, which should really be the first place that is searched for issues.

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Bantu

Loremaster

I know that SMILEY  I just figured it might help all the people who don't go to tech support directly for problem.  I did, that's how I know this fix SMILEY
Old 01-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
Aazzuden

Only problem is that's not always the "fix" From what i've read of netgears cg814 router you can't manipulate the router specific firewall. So I'm pretty sure, even when I have the ports open...it's still shutting down the connection due to "packet flooding" or some stupid crazy thing. But why was I able to play the trial version with no problems?
Aazzuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
spooonerism

Loremaster

This may well be a similar problem that's ongoing on thread 'Download cancelled. Can't download 1/16/08 update or play'.

For this many of us have been using Port Forwarding with the plethora (great word) of ports suggested by SOE. This is not having luck though.

Still waiting on a response from Tech Support on that thread. 

spooonerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
Bantu

Loremaster

Ok, so I actually didn't use any port forwarding.  I own the exact same modem as Aazzuden.  When I went to look at it all, it was too confusing to be perfectly honest.  Then I saw a tab that says "DMZ".  It said it's commonly used for gaming.  So I put my PC in the DMZ.  Now, the obvious downside is that my arss is hanging out on the internet for the world to see, but eh, it worked and I can play my beloved EQ2 now SMILEY
Old 01-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
Aazzuden

That's interesting that you you have the same modem/router combo.

When I put my IP as the DMZ Host it gets to the Resources Loading but then it just drops back to character select.

I'm fairly convinced that it's the stupid SPI built in firewall and I don't get the option to disable it.  I've asked Time Warner to update the firmware but I haven't received a response.

I might just end up going out and getting my own router and saving myself 5.99 a month just to have their "wireless networking"

Old 01-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
Wingrider01

Loremaster

Aazzuden wrote:
Only problem is that's not always the "fix"From what i've read of netgears cg814 router you can't manipulate the router specific firewall. So I'm pretty sure, even when I have the ports open...it's still shutting down the connection due to "packet flooding" or some stupid crazy thing.But why was I able to play the trial version with no problems?

The CG814 does have a web interface for configuration, if it is supplied by your cable company they may have placed a userid and password to prevent the end user from accessing the unit. The default access address is normally listed in your ipconfig display.

1. Open a dos cmd box

2. type ipconfig /all

3. look for the default gateway address, this will be the address of teh router

4. open a browser and type http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and press enter, where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the address you got from step 3

If the cable supplier did not lock down the access you shouild get a logon box. Not sure what the defaul password would be on this gear, but you should be able to locate it in the supplied owners manual or one that you can get from Netgear's site

As far as ports go, you really want to look for port triggering capablities and not port forwarding. Port forwarding tends to lock down to a single LAN IP and not allow you to run multiple machines in the game(same for DMZ access), port triggering on the otehr hand is normally destination IP universal. Used to run a Cisco/Linksys using port triggering and had 18 machines running at once during a guild get together. If the router does SPI, this can cause issues also unless it is correctly configured, same with using the USB port on the router rather then the ethernet port

Old 01-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
Aazzuden

I can get to the router settings just fine, though I'm curious how port triggering actually works.

Do I put in the same numbers as the port forwarding for the trigger range etc?

Old 01-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
Bantu

Loremaster

So there's officially a problem with EQ2, NOT my machine or connection.  You know how I know this??  Because it played fine for 2 days, two whole glorious days with no problems at all.  Now it's broken again.  It puts me back on the character select screen after about a minute in game.  I'm not even mad, just frustrated.  But guess what?  It's not worth it.  I'm cancelling my account and if this crap isn't fixed before the free trial runs out, I'm not going to play again.  40 F'ing dollars straight down the drain.  Sorry to all who I tryed to tell you this would fix your problems.  I feel like such an idiot.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
Wingrider01

Loremaster

Bantu wrote:

So there's officially a problem with EQ2, NOT my machine or connection.  You know how I know this??  Because it played fine for 2 days, two whole glorious days with no problems at all.  Now it's broken again.  It puts me back on the character select screen after about a minute in game.  I'm not even mad, just frustrated.  But guess what?  It's not worth it.  I'm cancelling my account and if this crap isn't fixed before the free trial runs out, I'm not going to play again.  40 F'ing dollars straight down the drain.  Sorry to all who I tryed to tell you this would fix your problems.  I feel like such an idiot.

The problem lies on your end, if there was officially a problem with EQ2 then everyone attempting to log on would be affected, not just you. If your router/firewall/network is not configured correctly, the game will not run correclty of be stable.

Getting kicked to character select randomly can be caused by

1. a router that is misconfigured,

2. a firewall that is incorrectly configured,

3. issues at the ISP - or somewhere along the datapath

4. a campus network that is throttling bandwidth

You never really detail out your network configuration, there is a stickied post at the top of the forums that explains what information is needed, how to obtain it and how to split the information up into chunks that can be properly posted to teh forum thread. These are essential in diagnosing the issue.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
Bantu

Loremaster

You don't understand.  I already sent all my info to the techs, they helped me fix it.  My router is configured, my firewall is properly configured...I went from it now working for 3 days to it working.  But it only lasted for 2 days.  In that time period I changed nothing.  All the settings that made it work for those 2 days are still in place.  THATS why i'm frustrated, because I DID fix the problem and now it doesn't work again.  Just in case anyone was wondering what the new problem is:  When I log into the world, I can't do anything and then it kills my entire internet connection.  Even my GF who is connected wirelessly get's kicked off until I close down EQ2.