EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
nihilux

Loremaster

My gaming rig is not even a yer old and is spec'ed to run the most demanding games. SWTOR, RIFT max graphics no issues  lag etc.

I just resubbed to this game and there is a huge delay what is this? Equiping my gear. Viewing game windows. Dressing room. Market place. I can go on and on. What is the deal?

nihilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
SteelPiston

Loremaster

It sounds like you might be using the streaming client. If you see a walking dinosaur anywhere, that's the giveaway. I recommend downloading the game.

Sadly, a new gaming rig won't help EQ2 much. It was designed back in the day to run on pc's with a single core CPU like the old Pentium 4 with no dedicated graphics card. (EQ2 is 8 years old). It's heavily CPU driven and likes lots of RAM. I recently bought a new high end card and it made little to no difference to the game. There's been numerous threads on graphics and game performance. Use the search box and you'll find hours of reading on it.

EQNext is under development is eagerly awaited. I'm sure it will have wonderful graphics and zero lag.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
Natsume

Philosopher

SteelPiston wrote:

It sounds like you might be using the streaming client. If you see a walking dinosaur anywhere, that's the giveaway. I recommend downloading the game.

Sadly, a new gaming rig won't help EQ2 much. It was designed back in the day to run on pc's with a single core CPU like the old Pentium 4 with no dedicated graphics card. (EQ2 is 8 years old). It's heavily CPU driven and likes lots of RAM. I recently bought a new high end card and it made little to no difference to the game. There's been numerous threads on graphics and game performance. Use the search box and you'll find hours of reading on it.

EQNext is under development is eagerly awaited. I'm sure it will have wonderful graphics and zero lag.

I have always had the walking dinasour ... How, erm would you download EQ2? :p

Natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
LadyMist

Loremaster

sign in to your account>upper right corner where it says version (yours might say US Public) drop that down and select us public and check full download then apply

Old 10-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Natsume

Philosopher

LadyMist wrote:

sign in to your account>upper right corner where it says version (yours might say US Public) drop that down and select us public and check full download then apply

I only have language options and a Public Test version. It was US English.

Natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

it doesnt matter how amazing your pc is if the internet and server take 2 seconds to process your request.

A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

It does sound like you have streaming on. 

However, this game client is 100% CPU bound, and nothing else about your rig is really going to make it perform better.  And when I say CPU bound, I really mean clockspeed of a single core bound.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
Jrral

Loremaster

Natsume wrote:

I have always had the walking dinasour ... How, erm would you download EQ2? :p

http://launch.soe.com/eq2/ provides links to the full-download and streaming client installers. Handy link to have around.

The key things for EQ2 in terms of hardware are a) the highest raw clock speed possible and b) a fast hard drive. The hard drive matters when loading assets from disk, the faster the drive the faster the textures and such get loaded in. The CPU matters because EQ2's highly CPU-bound, much of the graphics rendering is actually done in the CPU rather than by the graphics card and the code wasn't written to take advantage of multiple cores. This makes sense when you remember that when it was written there weren't any multiple-core chips (they started coming out just after the game was released) and multiple-CPU machines were the province of servers in the data center. Since cores and clock speed tend to trade off (to keep power consumption under control as you add more cores you tend to have to reduce the speed the cores operate ate), you're better off spending money on a higher clock rate at the expense of cores. All the extra cores give you is room to have other programs like ACT running without stealing CPU cycles from EQ2.

Jrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
General_Info

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

Since cores and clock speed tend to trade off (to keep power consumption under control as you add more cores you tend to have to reduce the speed the cores operate ate), you're better off spending money on a higher clock rate at the expense of cores. All the extra cores give you is room to have other programs like ACT running without stealing CPU cycles from EQ2.

Not really, you dont need to trade off clock speed on dual/quad systems if you have the cash. the fastest core i know off is 3.50ghz which is availible in mutli core setups.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

General_Info wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Since cores and clock speed tend to trade off (to keep power consumption under control as you add more cores you tend to have to reduce the speed the cores operate ate), you're better off spending money on a higher clock rate at the expense of cores. All the extra cores give you is room to have other programs like ACT running without stealing CPU cycles from EQ2.

Not really, you dont need to trade off clock speed on dual/quad systems if you have the cash. the fastest core i know off is 3.50ghz which is availible in mutli core setups.

Generally though when you go to more cores 4 to 6 to 8, the core speed drops.

This is a necesity as in order to have stable clicks accross all the cores things have to be pulled back, this is why many CPU's offer 'turbo clocks' where if only a subset of cores are in use, it will up the clock speed for them.

Unfortunately, the affinity overide built into the EQ2 client purposefully places the client unto cores that wont get the turbo clock benefit.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

His "huge delays" equipping gear and viewing the dressing room have nothing to do with how fast his cpu is. I have a decent gaming rig within a reasonable budget (less than $1k for the tower), and run the game fine. The only thing that really hits my FPS is shadows, and those are rendered on the video card anyway.

Most people seem to think internet lag means their computer is slow or the software sucks and are unable to distinguish the two.

A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
SteelPiston

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

b) a fast hard drive. The hard drive matters when loading assets from disk, the faster the drive the faster the textures and such get loaded in. 

Has anyone installed EQ2 on one of these new solid state hard drives, or runs their whole pc on one? I was wondering if it gives any significant game boost.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
NrthnStar5

Loremaster

SteelPiston wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

b) a fast hard drive. The hard drive matters when loading assets from disk, the faster the drive the faster the textures and such get loaded in. 

Has anyone installed EQ2 on one of these new solid state hard drives, or runs their whole pc on one? I was wondering if it gives any significant game boost.

I run my PC (including eq2) on an SSD. The biggest difference is loading times, which is nice considering how much loading is done in EQ2. However, the biggest performance boost I had was getting a new Intel processor and OC'ing it to 4.2 ghz, and getting fast ddr3 ram (16 gb). 

NrthnStar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
Senvares

Loremaster

i have a awesome gamming rig and the game plays flawlessly on it no lag no nothing.

Senvares is offline   Reply With Quote