EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > In Testing Feedback
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-31-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
liveja

General

I could have sworn we were told that we could toggle the hate meter OFF by going into options > user interface < name & chat bubbles > show hate meter, click that box, voila! no more hate meter.

I tried that multiple times this morning, with no results. No matter what I did, it stayed put, where it was completely bleeding through my combat chat window.

I finally had to go to window settings & turn the Normal opacities both down, at which point it finally disappeared, but honestly we shouldn't have to go through those hoops when you've ostensibly given us a click box to un-check.

OR, am I just totally missing something, here???

Old 03-31-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Noaani

Loremaster

Ctrl + T

The superior man knows what is right.
The inferior man knows what will sell.

Confucius

Noaani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
liveja

General

Noaani wrote:

Ctrl + T

Thank you, that's certainly better than having to reduce the opacities.

Sure wish the check box worked, tho.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Rothgar

Developer

[email protected] wrote:

I could have sworn we were told that we could toggle the hate meter OFF by going into options > user interface < name & chat bubbles > show hate meter, click that box, voila! no more hate meter.

I tried that multiple times this morning, with no results. No matter what I did, it stayed put, where it was completely bleeding through my combat chat window.

I finally had to go to window settings & turn the Normal opacities both down, at which point it finally disappeared, but honestly we shouldn't have to go through those hoops when you've ostensibly given us a click box to un-check.

OR, am I just totally missing something, here???

The key here is that you are editing options under "Name and Chat Bubble".  So unchecking the box "Show threat value" turns off the 3rd bar under an NPC's name that shows your current threat.  This option has nothing to do with the separate threat window. 

The option for binding a key to the threat window is under Controls->Window Keys->Threat Window.  As already mentioned, the default it Ctrl-T.

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
liveja

General

Rothgar wrote:

The key here is that you are editing options under "Name and Chat Bubble".  So unchecking the box "Show threat value" turns off the 3rd bar under an NPC's name that shows your current threat.  This option has nothing to do with the separate threat window.

Thanx for the explanation Rothgar. I'm willing to bet, however, I won't be the only one who completely mis-understands this point.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Grumpy_Warrior_01

Loremaster

Rothgar et. al.

Thank youThank youThank you

The threat meter is making a difference in my groups and raids.  It's very gratifying to hear aggro_hound_04 say, "Oh gee I didn't realize so-and-so spell generated so much hate."  I interpret this as, "Oh gee the tank really was working his butt off all this time, maybe I'm the noob not him."  We're better informed, putting out higher numbers, and bouncing aggro a lot less.

Having said that, I had to enlarge the secondary threat text, the default is way too small.  Plus the flickering animated flames (yellow) behind the secondary number (also yellow) are kind of fatiguing after several hours.  It may be useful for the UI modders to experiment with bar graphs (ProfitUI uses one in the target window) instead of the % value.  I'm surprised there's nothing up on eq2interface by now.

Grumpy_Warrior_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
Vith
Server: Oasis
Guild: Bat Country

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Thanx for the explanation Rothgar. I'm willing to bet, however, I won't be the only one who completely mis-understands this point.

Yep, I was confused by that as well. Nice to have it for the rare occasions I group, but I mostly solo and it was getting annoying. Bu-bye flaming 100!

Vith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:14 AM   #8
Terayon

Loremaster

Ive been gone for a few months myself. I have taken a liking to the PvP of wow, but I want to play some EQ2 now. While in wow, the addon Omen was always a nice tool to have. It showed the threat value and played a warning note if you broke or approached a preset limit. IE, if you wanted a warning to sound with 5% instead of 10%.

I haven't seen this threat meter yet but look forward to testing it out.

Edit: Oh wow, thats nothing like what im used to. I preffer the bar n graph of omen, but i guess ill make do with this until then :/

Please visit this for the most commonly asked Questions.
Terayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
feldon30

Fansite Staff

You can't really tell how close you are to stealing agro, unless you can read flames better than I can. SMILEY As a tank, it's easy to tell how close the next person is though (but not who). I figure in a few days they'll have a replacement threat meter at eq2interface which is a bar graph. The crossed swords flame effect is not informational enough IMO and takes up a fair amount of screen space. I'm glad it was added though.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
quallen

Loremaster

Just a heads up, as I read this post.

I myself have encountered  a rare issue where the co-ordinates for the threat meter within the UI file exist off-screen.

I have had this happen with a newly made character as well as an existing toon after a random update.

MY solution (after trying all these things) was to change the co-ordinates in the file to be close to those of a window i knew the location of.  after which i could move/use it normally.

I thought this might be helpful for those "extreeme" cases

quallen is offline   Reply With Quote