EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Mage's Arcanum
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #91
Andu

General
Andu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 578
Default

Stubbswick wrote:

I never said anything about hating illusionists.  I don't take perverse pleasure from watching the game ruined for a lot of players.  I'm just taking some time to point out the game was already "ruined" for a number of other classes (say, conjy and necro for example), and by helping out those people so they get to enjoy the game, you guys are suddenly in a tizzy.

DPS may never have been the problem for you, but it was a problem for other classes.  And you're basically agreeing that nothing is going to change with illys in raids, even if things really are dramatically horrible (which I don't have enough evidence to believe yet).

So... if enchanters are still going to be wanted as much as they always have, and they are going to give out buffs the same as they always have, and they are going to regen power the same as they always have... what has changed?  The only thing I hear is DPS which, as I said before, isn't a "nerf" because you didn't actually lose anything.  The only argument is that other classes got a better boost in DPS this expansion.  So what this all boils down to is even though you guys are still as useful to the progression of your groups and guilds, even though you are still an incredibly important part of this game, you are not happy because you're not going to top the parse.  End of story.

I also have no beef with Summoners getting a fix which seems to be what you are implying. However, their relative level of DPS hasn't changed either in comparison to Sorcerers, the only fixes they have are that of utility. Decent summoners always did good dps though, they just lacked the utility to offset the lower level of DPS they had relative to Sorcerers. That appears now to be fixed, at least for Conjies. And at no harm to other classes it has to be added, so it is possible.

We are in a "tizzy" as you so eloquently put it because our class has been horribly broken at its core since T5 and DPS was the crutch by which SoE chose to prop it up. They have now kicked that crutch from under us and exposed the class for the broken mess it is.

It has always been a royal pain in the backside to play an Illusionist. From the constant rebuffing to the carpal tunnel inducing pace at which you have to bash out spells to contribute effectively.

To the fact that half of our spells are fairly worthless to one degree or another. Crowd control is a joke.

To the fact that everyone is obsessed with us being power regen, when the actual tools at our disposal for said regen is minimal at best. Laughably the Devs even took the opportunity to give that a kicking as well.

To the fact they everyone hates us because we command so many places in a raid when the reason we hold those spots is not the reason we play the class. Where we are forced to read misguided and ill-conceived posts like yours which just highlights the whole point that you just dont get what we are saying. Neither do the Devs by all accounts.

The DPS was the only way an illusionist could actively contribute to whatever it was they were doing. No one wants to play a buff bot. They want to play a class where it feels that what you are doing has a tangible effect on the outcome. Yes you can say without x buff or y power the group/raid wouldn't have done as well but you cannot really see that and noone takes any pleasure from it. Well tanked mobs you can see. Good healing you can see. Significant DPS you can see. Mobs that are controlled you can see (not that they ever are - and thats the real problem). The fact the Sorcerer did 5k more because you did x or y you cannot. All that happens is the Sorcerer thinks he did fab.

Yes, I know most will dismiss this and similar posts as a whinefest. QQ more no doubt. The game though is supposed to be fun and I am just telling you that right now Illusionist is so far from fun it is just silly.

__________________
Andu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #92
Spryt

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34
Default

Stubbswick wrote:

Anduri wrote:

Enchanters, especially Illusionists, are just like Rangers. Everyone loves to hate them and many are clearly taking some perverse pleasure in watching the game ruined for a lot of players.

Bottom line is we took a lot of nerfing in TSO and by the end of the expansion we were just where we should have been. The massive nerf brought on by the crit modifier was a totally unnecessary over-reaction to the fact that we hold so many spots on a raid roster.

The laughable thing is that it has done nothing to address that as our DPS wasn't the problem and never has been the problem. You will still see the same number of illusionists in each raid, unless this nerf proves to be so incredibly ham fisted that the sum total of our DPS and buffs is less than that of other mages. Even then we may retain the spots for power regen.

Whether it was broken proc mechanics or broken buff mechanics that made us OP, the core DPS numbers of an illusionist have never been wrong and never needed this "fix". Shoddy combat mechanics have always been the culprit. This crit modifier mechanic is already proving to be yet another ill conceived idea that is bleeding players slowly, in the way that broken summoners, broken rangers, broken druids etc have done before.

I never said anything about hating illusionists.  I don't take perverse pleasure from watching the game ruined for a lot of players.  I'm just taking some time to point out the game was already "ruined" for a number of other classes (say, conjy and necro for example), and by helping out those people so they get to enjoy the game, you guys are suddenly in a tizzy.

DPS may never have been the problem for you, but it was a problem for other classes.  And you're basically agreeing that nothing is going to change with illys in raids, even if things really are dramatically horrible (which I don't have enough evidence to believe yet).

So... if enchanters are still going to be wanted as much as they always have, and they are going to give out buffs the same as they always have, and they are going to regen power the same as they always have... what has changed?  The only thing I hear is DPS which, as I said before, isn't a "nerf" because you didn't actually lose anything.  The only argument is that other classes got a better boost in DPS this expansion.  So what this all boils down to is even though you guys are still as useful to the progression of your groups and guilds, even though you are still an incredibly important part of this game, you are not happy because you're not going to top the parse.  End of story.

It's about being able to do mage dps not healer dps. It's about a new expansion with 10 more levels and 50 more aa to spend without noticing any kind of improvements most other classes will see.

Being useful and feeling useful is not always the same thing. What people still don´t get after like 5 pages of chanters saying pretty much the same thing is. We do not expect to be top dps. But we do not want to be so far behind we end up behind the bards or some healers.

If people saw some chanter top dps in some TSO raid it was either because all other dps had a lot worse gear, were dead most of the time or just plain suck at their class.

Yes chanters will still be wanted on raids. But if there is no reward for spamming spells non stop for 4 hours during raids you will end up with those players that will play anything just to get a raid spot and that don't give a **** about trying to improve their play by doing more dps.

Chanters should do good dps like they did in the end of TSO. Not top dps, but still good enough for people to notice/care if someone was afk.

Spryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #93
dlove1

General
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 57
Default

Anduri wrote:

Stubbswick wrote:

I never said anything about hating illusionists.  I don't take perverse pleasure from watching the game ruined for a lot of players.  I'm just taking some time to point out the game was already "ruined" for a number of other classes (say, conjy and necro for example), and by helping out those people so they get to enjoy the game, you guys are suddenly in a tizzy.

DPS may never have been the problem for you, but it was a problem for other classes.  And you're basically agreeing that nothing is going to change with illys in raids, even if things really are dramatically horrible (which I don't have enough evidence to believe yet).

So... if enchanters are still going to be wanted as much as they always have, and they are going to give out buffs the same as they always have, and they are going to regen power the same as they always have... what has changed?  The only thing I hear is DPS which, as I said before, isn't a "nerf" because you didn't actually lose anything.  The only argument is that other classes got a better boost in DPS this expansion.  So what this all boils down to is even though you guys are still as useful to the progression of your groups and guilds, even though you are still an incredibly important part of this game, you are not happy because you're not going to top the parse.  End of story.

I also have no beef with Summoners getting a fix which seems to be what you are implying. However, their relative level of DPS hasn't changed either in comparison to Sorcerers, the only fixes they have are that of utility. Decent summoners always did good dps though, they just lacked the utility to offset the lower level of DPS they had relative to Sorcerers. That appears now to be fixed, at least for Conjies. And at no harm to other classes it has to be added, so it is possible.

We are in a "tizzy" as you so eloquently put it because our class has been horribly broken at its core since T5 and DPS was the crutch by which SoE chose to prop it up. They have now kicked that crutch from under us and exposed the class for the broken mess it is.

It has always been a royal pain in the backside to play an Illusionist. From the constant rebuffing to the carpal tunnel inducing pace at which you have to bash out spells to contribute effectively.

To the fact that half of our spells are fairly worthless to one degree or another. Crowd control is a joke.

To the fact that everyone is obsessed with us being power regen, when the actual tools at our disposal for said regen is minimal at best. Laughably the Devs even took the opportunity to give that a kicking as well.

To the fact they everyone hates us because we command so many places in a raid when the reason we hold those spots is not the reason we play the class. Where we are forced to read misguided and ill-conceived posts like yours which just highlights the whole point that you just dont get what we are saying. Neither do the Devs by all accounts.

The DPS was the only way an illusionist could actively contribute to whatever it was they were doing. No one wants to play a buff bot. They want to play a class where it feels that what you are doing has a tangible effect on the outcome. Yes you can say without x buff or y power the group/raid wouldn't have done as well but you cannot really see that and noone takes any pleasure from it. Well tanked mobs you can see. Good healing you can see. Significant DPS you can see. Mobs that are controlled you can see (not that they ever are - and thats the real problem). The fact the Sorcerer did 5k more because you did x or y you cannot. All that happens is the Sorcerer thinks he did fab.

Yes, I know most will dismiss this and similar posts as a whinefest. QQ more no doubt. The game though is supposed to be fun and I am just telling you that right now Illusionist is so far from fun it is just silly.

after that, there really isn't anything left to say. well put.

dlove1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #94
sandwarrior

Loremaster
sandwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 56
Default

It would be cool if enchanters could be CC... Which... is what they're supposed to be. To all of those people who are saying that we don't have it as bad, look at troubs. Seriously? A troub rolled a troub knowing that they were there mostly to buff others. When I rolled my illy... I rolled him to be CC and be able to put out good numbers. You know what I didn't roll him to be? A buffbot. To everyone saying, aww quit chasing the parse it's such a dumb thing. Guess what? IT'S ALL WE HAVE. We can't be what we are supposed to be, which is CC, so the only thing we can fall on is the parse.

But people want to cry about us being able to do decent dps because we are such a desired class and we shouldn't be able to do so much. Fine, take my buffs away. I don't want to be a [Removed for Content] buffbot anyway. If there was a raid mechanic that involved CC, I'd be all for that, but that's been nerfed into oblivion and will never happen because it's too powerful. And now the only thing that we could use to distinguish skill between illies was DPS, and that's gone too. So thanks SOE, for making my class into a buffbot class, because that's what I always wanted to be!

sandwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #95
Malthuras
Server: Befallen
Guild: Legends of Faydark
Rank: Knight

Guardian
Malthuras's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7
Default

I personally retired my warlock because I saw several enchanters out dps me unless we had heavy AE or AoE. I must say i'm please to see wizards/warlocks where they should be, top dps, and I'm one to appreciate having summoners buffed so they are useful finally in raids, considering how horrible they were.

I started up a coercer, and haven't looked back. I love the utility, buffs, and decent dps I can put out. One thing I will say tho, is yes, Enchanters should be up with the other support/hybrid dps, aka bards. It is still WAY too early in the expansion to see what happens. Numbers tend to even out as skills and gear are attained. If numbers are still parsing this low once most of the endgame content has been reached, then yes, its time to speak up. Until then, i'll keep at it and enjoying finding groups hella fast.

Malthuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #96
Carthr

General
Carthr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 561
Default

And if you were given encounters where you did nothing but lock down adds, you'd complain about that..  An enchanters job is power management.. DONE...END OF STORY...If you think different, you think WRONG. Sorry you chose to play a class without fully understand [Removed for Content] your job was... May I suggest re-rolling?  And you better believe it goes noticed when a chanter rocks the power regen parse, and his group doesn't have any power issues..  And who's to say that we should be above bards in dps?  Chanters, for all intents and purposes, are the bards of the mage community.. But that's right, you dps'd higher than bards LAST expansion, so you better this expansion..

I think it's funny that a class is whining when they didn't receive a nerf and still have their raid spots without contest.

Carthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #97
Aanadorn68

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 210
Default

Carthrax wrote:

And if you were given encounters where you did nothing but lock down adds, you'd complain about that..  An enchanters job is power management.. DONE...END OF STORY...If you think different, you think WRONG. Sorry you chose to play a class without fully understand [Removed for Content] your job was... May I suggest re-rolling?  And you better believe it goes noticed when a chanter rocks the power regen parse, and his group doesn't have any power issues..  And who's to say that we should be above bards in dps?  Chanters, for all intents and purposes, are the bards of the mage community.. But that's right, you dps'd higher than bards LAST expansion, so you better this expansion..

I think it's funny that a class is whining when they didn't receive a nerf and still have their raid spots without contest.

There are MANY enchanters who would be more than happy to give up their dps to be crowd controllers, I would count myself among them.  When I first started my enchanter, before the dps craze, I would find it extremely satisfying to truly crowd control.  Yes there was a time when it was used, but this was a long time ago.  Just as a tank finds it satisfying to be able to target, manage hate, and pull off aggro, so too a chanter used to value his targeting skills and management of encounters and adds.

As for a chanter being ONLY power management, with all due respect is quite an ignorant statement.  Especially in light of the illusionist power regen nerfs with this xpac.  It's great that you have your opinion, but that's certainly the first, and I'll wager it will be the last time I hear an enchanters job should ONLY be power management.  You are correct in that this is what it WILL end up being, but incorrect if you think this is what enchanters want.

As for DPS, any T1 dps that cries that a chanter outdpsed him either doesn't know how to play his class, or just got outgeared/outplayed.  T1 DPS was still T1 DPS in TSO, there were just chanters with enough gear, knowledge and skill to have high parses, they were far from the rule.  I've also seen summoners parse very high, but again it was the exception not the rule.  Put that same gear, knowledge and skill in a T1's hands and they will outparse a chanter or a summoner, which is how the world should work.

As has been mentioned before, there is a huge failure to understand enchanters complaints.  Give us a clear cut role, specifically the role we were designed for, to crowd control.  The devs created this confusion by making us mini-wizards to compensate for an ever increasing lean towards dps which left little room for such antiquated concepts as crowd control.  There have been many suggestions from the enchanter community on how to possibly incorporate crowd control without upsetting the dps craze.

__________________
90 Warden (myth buff)

80 Shadowknight (myth)

80 Dirge (myth)

83 Illusionist (myth) (retired until CC returns)

ex-80 Templar (myth)

ex-80 Coercer (myth)

SOE /cues keystone kops music
Aanadorn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #98
Arathy

General
Arathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 171
Default

Grats moved/buried thread where it will now be ignored and die.

Arathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #99
Jesdyr
Server: Unrest
Guild: Curmudgeons
Rank: Senior Officer

Loremaster
Jesdyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,710
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Grats moved/buried thread where it will now be ignored and die.

was either that or it would end up locked SMILEY

Jesdyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:23 AM   #100
sandwarrior

Loremaster
sandwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 56
Default

Carthrax wrote:

And if you were given encounters where you did nothing but lock down adds, you'd complain about that..  An enchanters job is power management.. DONE...END OF STORY...If you think different, you think WRONG. Sorry you chose to play a class without fully understand [Removed for Content] your job was... May I suggest re-rolling?  And you better believe it goes noticed when a chanter rocks the power regen parse, and his group doesn't have any power issues..  And who's to say that we should be above bards in dps?  Chanters, for all intents and purposes, are the bards of the mage community.. But that's right, you dps'd higher than bards LAST expansion, so you better this expansion..

I think it's funny that a class is whining when they didn't receive a nerf and still have their raid spots without contest.

Are you crazy? Oh, so our job is power management. We have 1 passive ability and what? Like 3 active ones? And 1 more with SF AA's? Seriously, maybe you should re-evaluate your arguement here. An enchanter's job is most definitely not power regen. First and foremost, enchanters are CC, and power regen/buffs come in second.

sandwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:15 AM   #101
Aanadorn68

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 210
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Grats moved/buried thread where it will now be ignored and die.

Sad, but kind of gives you a perspective on the importance of this issue to the devs.

__________________
90 Warden (myth buff)

80 Shadowknight (myth)

80 Dirge (myth)

83 Illusionist (myth) (retired until CC returns)

ex-80 Templar (myth)

ex-80 Coercer (myth)

SOE /cues keystone kops music
Aanadorn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:10 AM   #102
Eugam

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,403
Default

Carthrax wrote:

And if you were given encounters where you did nothing but lock down adds, you'd complain about that.. An enchanters job is power management.. DONE...END OF STORY...If you think different, you think WRONG. Sorry you chose to play a class without fully understand [Removed for Content] your job was... May I suggest re-rolling? And you better believe it goes noticed when a chanter rocks the power regen parse, and his group doesn't have any power issues.. And who's to say that we should be above bards in dps? Chanters, for all intents and purposes, are the bards of the mage community.. But that's right, you dps'd higher than bards LAST expansion, so you better this expansion..

I think it's funny that a class is whining when they didn't receive a nerf and still have their raid spots without contest.

You have no idea about an enchanter. Not the least.

You cant reduce a class to its buffs. Its boring like hell to be a buff bot. Why do you think people always LFM for bards and chanters ???

I can only talk about the Illu. There are three spells for the so called powermanagement. 3 out of maybe 25. There REAL powermanagement was taken away back when DoF was released. Before that an chanter was able to make a named go oom.

There is more like dps reduction, stuns and stifles. We have been 0.5 healer before they made any mob immune. More boredom.

There is active dps enchanting of a group member that has to be recast.

There is mental debuff to increase the own and the enchanted group members dps

And sometimes there is real cc.

Inbetween all of this we have to care for cast speed and press in any little dps spell. This is one of the most button mash stressing classes and nobody recognizes. Not on parse and nowhere. Just good power regen to run a zone faster.. holy crap can you spell boredom ?

Perosnally i agree that an enchanter should be between T3 and T2 dps. not more. We lost some DPS since those curusades tank SMILEY Guardians hit more with their weapon and did thereby enchanted damage. But i dont like the trend to be a wizard with some sort of cc and power regen. Most probably my chanter will remain at 80 and turn into a pure provisioner SMILEY

Eugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #103
Xalmat

EQ2Achieve.com
Xalmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,895
Default

I think you all need to stop your belly aching.

OK, so crowd control is out. As an AE DPS class, or even on my AE Tank, I don't like crowd control (in the form of mez) except in dire emergencies. It severely limits the tools that my classes have. Stuns, Dazes, Stifles are OK, and extremely useful. Mezzes? No thanks.

I've done EQ1 raids where mobs had to be locked downwith mezzes for an extended period of time: Emperor Ssraeshza, The Rathe Council, Rallos Zek, Xegony, Quarm, and many, many encounters in Plane of Time. Guess what? They weren't as fun as you'd be led to believe. Get a resist on your mez or stun, you draw aggro, *splat* dead enchanter, *splat* raid wipes. And keep in mind it took 9 healers to keep the main tank up alone, keeping an offtank up was an impossible task except for the very best raid guilds.

__________________
EQ2Achieve - Your guide to all EverQuest II Achievements

Sess, Conjuror of PermafrostCyanide, Berserker of Permafrost
Xalmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #104
Andu

General
Andu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 578
Default

Xalmat wrote:

I think you all need to stop your belly aching.

I cannot believe you actually wrote this. We have collectively read and understood the plight of Summoners for the past 18 months. I have even posted championing your cause. You yourself have set out the whine stall on a fairly regular basis.

Only a few weeks into an expansion where Conjurors have been buffed finally and now you trot this out. I'd have expected you to have a little empathy.

Oh well, you get to read all this stuff now instead of write it.

__________________
Andu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #105
Carthr

General
Carthr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 561
Default

I suppose Troub's are CC also, since they have a mezz?

Carthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #106
wickermanuk

Loremaster
wickermanuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 141
Default

I quit my raiding with my illy about a month before the release of SF, after seeing in beta exactly what was happening. The ONLY way I would ever play my illy again is if the following happened:

1. Buffs (Single target) - Something would have to be done about this, its beyond belief how tedious it is to buff people if you die or if they die. I can't think of one class that has anywhere near the number of single target buffs that a illy has. Group buffs are fine, but damm when your talking 7 or 8 individual buffs you have to put on people it gets silly.

2. Button Mashing - Healers have it with cures but I think the illys have it worst. Over the last few years there have been those illys who could button mash and work their cast order and do dps and those who just couldn't or wouldn't. I never did do what I wanted to and work out on something like POA exactly how many buttons I pressed and compared it to everyone else on a raid. Damm I wish I had done that.

As for SF even button mashing isnt going to matter, i'm of the opinion that its best to save myself the carpal tunnel and put the illy to rest. I think i'm just getting lazy or its just dawned on me that i'm not having any fun.

wickermanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #107
Spryt

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34
Default

Carthrax wrote:

I suppose Troub's are CC also, since they have a mezz?

Going by that logic I guess all classes are CC as they all have some kind of stun/root/stifle/daze/mezz?

Yes a Troub has 1 mezz and can CC. But having one spell does not mean it's the primary function. Illu has 3 mezz (they can cast while running), 2 stuns, 2 stifle, 1 daze and a very strong root that can affect epics for CC. This makes them better suited to be main CC class, do you not agree?

Lots of classes have similar spells and abilities but usually a few classes are better suited for the job then others. That is one of the great things about EQ2, class diversity. SoE picked chanters to be the masters of CC. That is a fact and they make this very clear when you read the class descriptions during char creation.

If you want to pick a troub as your main CC then sure that's your choice as the option to do so is there. I am sure that troub will do it to the best of his ability.

If I wanted something locked down I would have picked a chanter instead.

Spryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #108
Spryt

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34
Default

Xalmat wrote:

I think you all need to stop your belly aching.

OK, so crowd control is out. As an AE DPS class, or even on my AE Tank, I don't like crowd control (in the form of mez) except in dire emergencies. It severely limits the tools that my classes have. Stuns, Dazes, Stifles are OK, and extremely useful. Mezzes? No thanks.

I've done EQ1 raids where mobs had to be locked downwith mezzes for an extended period of time: Emperor Ssraeshza, The Rathe Council, Rallos Zek, Xegony, Quarm, and many, many encounters in Plane of Time. Guess what? They weren't as fun as you'd be led to believe. Get a resist on your mez or stun, you draw aggro, *splat* dead enchanter, *splat* raid wipes. And keep in mind it took 9 healers to keep the main tank up alone, keeping an offtank up was an impossible task except for the very best raid guilds.

So you prefer zones where you can just run in a room pull everything with a duel wielding zerker and aoe it down in 10 seconds, then move on the next room and so on until the zone is clear?

I would prefer a bit more complex encounters where you have to think what you pull and how you pull it, where you tank it and what mobs need to die first, etc. Where you need to have control over the encounter and think ahead instead of just running in blind and hitting gibe.

I have a zerker too and yes room pulling is great fun. But is it challenging? not really. It gets boring very fast.

Yes a lot of EQ1 raids were a pain like you described. But isn't it exactly the same in EQ2? Instead of having someone control the mobs to stop the raid going *splat* they added scripted mobs with a fail condition so anyone can make the raid go *splat*. To me that just sounds like they moved the *splat* from uncontrolled mobs to "a red text message".

Spryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #109
Aanadorn68

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 210
Default

Xalmat wrote:

I think you all need to stop your belly aching.

OK, so crowd control is out. As an AE DPS class, or even on my AE Tank, I don't like crowd control (in the form of mez) except in dire emergencies. It severely limits the tools that my classes have. Stuns, Dazes, Stifles are OK, and extremely useful. Mezzes? No thanks.

I've done EQ1 raids where mobs had to be locked downwith mezzes for an extended period of time: Emperor Ssraeshza, The Rathe Council, Rallos Zek, Xegony, Quarm, and many, many encounters in Plane of Time. Guess what? They weren't as fun as you'd be led to believe. Get a resist on your mez or stun, you draw aggro, *splat* dead enchanter, *splat* raid wipes. And keep in mind it took 9 healers to keep the main tank up alone, keeping an offtank up was an impossible task except for the very best raid guilds.

This whole "just AOE the entire zone" dps thing is just really boring as hell.  Different strokes for different folks and all, but for me it's just so shallow and superficial.  At this point we are really going towards just having a tank/healer and 4 pure T1 dps as the most viable group.

I don't think enchanters should stop asking for crowd control gameplay at all.

__________________
90 Warden (myth buff)

80 Shadowknight (myth)

80 Dirge (myth)

83 Illusionist (myth) (retired until CC returns)

ex-80 Templar (myth)

ex-80 Coercer (myth)

SOE /cues keystone kops music
Aanadorn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #110
Xalmat

EQ2Achieve.com
Xalmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,895
Default

Anduri wrote:

Xalmat wrote:

I think you all need to stop your belly aching.

I cannot believe you actually wrote this. We have collectively read and understood the plight of Summoners for the past 18 months. I have even posted championing your cause. You yourself have set out the whine stall on a fairly regular basis.

Only a few weeks into an expansion where Conjurors have been buffed finally and now you trot this out. I'd have expected you to have a little empathy.

Oh well, you get to read all this stuff now instead of write it.

Forgive me, but I am unsympathetic. The simple fact is, bards and enchanters will get group and raid spots for simply being bards and enchanters, and occupy 1/3 of the raid in the process.

Summoners have to compete for DPS spots, which are limited. And we have to work our keysters off to justify our raid spot, lest we be replaced by Sorcerers, Predators, or Rogues who can (and often do) outparse us.

And to anyone that thinks they can switch from an enchanter to a sorcerer and get in a new raid guild easily, good luck with that. Sorcerer spots in raid guilds rarely open up.

__________________
EQ2Achieve - Your guide to all EverQuest II Achievements

Sess, Conjuror of PermafrostCyanide, Berserker of Permafrost
Xalmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #111
Minoko
Server: Nektulos
Guild: Die Hards
Rank: Senior Officer

Loremaster
Minoko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 124
Default

Just because enchanters are in demand does not mean they are balanced, or working correctly. There are a lot of things enchanters have that next to useless and it needs to change.

And no, they shouldn't stop the "belly aching", squeeky wheel gets the grease after all.

It is not very fun to sit there and only provide power to the group, it's more fun to use your abilities in a strategic way to change the outcome of a situation or actually see your efforts make a difference.

Currently its like a hamster running on a wheel, run run run but not get anywhere.

There are changes that could be made that would ultimately help the classes, the groups they are in, and the raids they are in.

Just because they have raid slots does not make them overpowered.

__________________
Forum lurker by day, EQII addict by night.
Minoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #112
Spryt

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34
Default

For some people playing a fun class is more important then getting a raid spot.

Spryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #113
Minoko
Server: Nektulos
Guild: Die Hards
Rank: Senior Officer

Loremaster
Minoko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 124
Default

This is part of the reason why I have been reluctant to level my coercer to 90. For a while my coercer was fun but lately it hasn't been. I rolled one because my guild needed one and there weren't any to be found...hmmm maybe cause no one wants to play one cause they aren't as much fun. Go figure.

__________________
Forum lurker by day, EQII addict by night.
Minoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #114
007djdeadly

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 53
Default

Anduri wrote:

Xalmat wrote:

I think you all need to stop your belly aching.

I cannot believe you actually wrote this. We have collectively read and understood the plight of Summoners for the past 18 months. I have even posted championing your cause. You yourself have set out the whine stall on a fairly regular basis.

Only a few weeks into an expansion where Conjurors have been buffed finally and now you trot this out. I'd have expected you to have a little empathy.

Oh well, you get to read all this stuff now instead of write it.

You should probably stop posting in this thread, lest we remind you of your bias when OP Conjies are nerfed in T10.

007djdeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #115
Aanadorn68

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 210
Default

Xalmat wrote:

Forgive me, but I am unsympathetic. The simple fact is, bards and enchanters will get group and raid spots for simply being bards and enchanters, and occupy 1/3 of the raid in the process.

Summoners have to compete for DPS spots, which are limited. And we have to work our keysters off to justify our raid spot, lest we be replaced by Sorcerers, Predators, or Rogues who can (and often do) outparse us.

And to anyone that thinks they can switch from an enchanter to a sorcerer and get in a new raid guild easily, good luck with that. Sorcerer spots in raid guilds rarely open up.

Stop bellyaching.

__________________
90 Warden (myth buff)

80 Shadowknight (myth)

80 Dirge (myth)

83 Illusionist (myth) (retired until CC returns)

ex-80 Templar (myth)

ex-80 Coercer (myth)

SOE /cues keystone kops music
Aanadorn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #116
Jesdyr
Server: Unrest
Guild: Curmudgeons
Rank: Senior Officer

Loremaster
Jesdyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,710
Default

007djdeadly wrote:

You should probably stop posting in this thread, lest we remind you of your bias when OP Conjies are nerfed in T10.

They need to be nerfed NOW .. so do Wizzy ... and Lock ... and Assassin ... and SK .... and Rangers ..

Monks are good .. they can stay where they are ...

Jesdyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #117
Crismorn

Loremaster
Crismorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,840
Default

They should just remove IA, TC and power flowing abilities from chanters and then replace them with dps skills to make the class fun again.

Its beyond stupid having a class that is so needed and wanted yet is not fun to play.

Im fully aware that eq2 has many, MANY mediocre players who are willing to play whatever it takes to get into a raid guild, but eventually you will fight something that requires moving or clicking something and you will be unable to pass this content.

Crismorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #118
Crismorn

Loremaster
Crismorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,840
Default

Xalmat wrote:

Anduri wrote:

Xalmat wrote:

I think you all need to stop your belly aching.

I cannot believe you actually wrote this. We have collectively read and understood the plight of Summoners for the past 18 months. I have even posted championing your cause. You yourself have set out the whine stall on a fairly regular basis.

Only a few weeks into an expansion where Conjurors have been buffed finally and now you trot this out. I'd have expected you to have a little empathy.

Oh well, you get to read all this stuff now instead of write it.

Forgive me, but I am unsympathetic. The simple fact is, bards and enchanters will get group and raid spots for simply being bards and enchanters, and occupy 1/3 of the raid in the process.

Summoners have to compete for DPS spots, which are limited. And we have to work our keysters off to justify our raid spot, lest we be replaced by Sorcerers, Predators, or Rogues who can (and often do) outparse us.

And to anyone that thinks they can switch from an enchanter to a sorcerer and get in a new raid guild easily, good luck with that. Sorcerer spots in raid guilds rarely open up.

No one wants your sympathy, they want an equal opertunity to earn their raid slot.

Player ability has become void with the recent chanter changes and the chanters who remained will also quit or reroll once they realize that their class has effectively become wizard light.

Seriously though grats on being able to compete, chanters dont have that option.

Crismorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:28 AM   #119
dlove1

General
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 57
Default

I just closed my account. they have until the 21st to at least acknowledge a problem or I'll be gone. I can go play in RL where they don't have the power to screw it up.  that means an illy raid spot will be opening up for some of you guys that just wanna spot.

we raided tonight and one of the inq was above me on the parse on a few fights. that's just stupid.

dlove1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:40 AM   #120
Exordus

Loremaster
Exordus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 164
Default

[email protected] wrote:

007djdeadly wrote:

Monks are good .. they can stay where they are ...

Ouch...that hurts.     

/bellyache

__________________
Exordus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:56 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.