EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Altar of Malice Beta > Zone and Quest Discussion (AoM Beta)
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #121
Shmogre

I got through it by noticing the mention of "looking skyward", and then doing the same (it helped to go into first person). I jumped up on crates to stay out of as much of the mist as I could, and you might need to move around the room after the emote to get a better view, but it was pretty straightforward after that.

(Obligatory disclaimer: the fight may have changed since I first did it, it was a few weeks ago.)
Shmogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #122
Nesissa

One last post about this instance.

1) Has to be my fav thus far in the game, very interesting.
2) I thought I read somewhere in this thread that some of the advanced solo dynamics were leaking into the solo version, like the goo adds on that one boss. I think that might still be happening. The first time I did that boss, she popped the goo adds constantly, difficult, but doable; the second time there were zero goo adds and the fight was easy peasy. Then the last fight, Blackhand, it went from brutal to pie, inexplicably so.
Nesissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #123
Chrol

Developer

The goos can still spawn but the chances have been lowered in both solo versions. And yes, it's possible to not have any spawn at all. If that happens you should play the lotto!

And in the past, the grimling vialtossers would appear on the ground after you burn the tapestries during the Blackhand encounter, but that now only occurs in the heroic version.

For the Va'Tak Telaris encounter, all I will say is this: there's a reason there are stacks of crates in that room in those locations...
Chrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #124
Cleaner

i was able to figure this fight out, the last encounter i just had to swap off to the grimling adds burn them down then swap back to blackhand get him down till he set me on fire moved rinse and repeat. before the gimlings where one shot killing my healer merc i was soon to follow.
Cleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #125
Nesissa

So far, liking the mechanics of this instance (solo). However, having huge issues with Blackhand. He's doing a serious number on my pet (and then me), and honestly I don't have enough 'cures' for this fight, not with having to cure myself, my pet, and my merc. The best my conjy has done is to get him down to 67%. And I have to stay close to him, or I can't get him below 94%. The feeling I get with this fight, is that there is just too much happening at once.

In all but a couple of the boss fights across all the solo instances in the new zone I've been able to figure them out by myself without having to dive into these forums looking for help. This is one fight I definitely needed to look up help. So, I stopped attacking Blackhand, let my pet and my merc attack, while I sat and healed my pet and cured as much as my cure abilities would let me. Using healing charm, healing pot, stoneskin, etc, etc, etc... I just wasn't able to keep myself alive. I was doing fine healing when the dmg was gradual, but when my pet goes from full health to 2% to dead, and then I very quickly follow suit, there's a problem. Once my pet died, I had about 10secs of living left because the merc just can not hold agro, and regardless of the fixes, Blackhand hits mages, REALLY hard.

Not looking for an easy fight, I like that the fights are more dynamic and a lot less tank-n-spank... just looking for something that is doable.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #126
Nesissa

This is interesting. Just finished the Blackhand fight, I don't know what was done differently, but it was less random and more rhythmic, and seemed to take less dmg this time. Honestly, really didn't do anything different, am wondering at the consistency of this fight now though.

Smile

Edit:

Having pondered the last and successful go at Blackhand. The ONE difference that made it possible, my merc actually held agro this time, thus making me have to heal my pet a LOT less. Also, had to cure slightly less, instead of always having something up that needed to be cured, it happened in a way that curing it was always possible, or nearly always possible. But I'd say, the merc holding agro was the biggest plus.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:30 PM   #127
Cege

In the Advanced Solo on the Va'Tak encounter I am seeing the sparkles to turn off the dementia very rarely. In 10 or so tries now I have seen two sparkle up for me. When they did I wasn't able to get close enough for the hand to highlight, though the 2nd I right clicked and it did disable the dementia (the text in the menu also didn't turn yellow to indicate it was active).
Cege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:10 AM   #128
Grundge

Just ran this and found this bug on the Gudre Blackhand fight: The first time I engaged him everything started out fine. The first time the grimlings were burning the tapestries, I was able to stop it by touching the tapestry by touching the sparkly area.

The second time this happened I visibly saw that two of the tapestries were burning and when I tried to touch them nothing happened. I ran around the whole room trying to touch all the tapestries but nothing was happening. At about 5% hp I evaced as not to die.

Now when I went back to fight him a second time I never got the tapestries were burning message and never got the curse (or whatever thing that is that kills you) cast on me. In fact the fight was just a tank n spank, nothing else. He healed up a few times but that was it and I killed him without any trouble.

It seems as if evacing the fight bugged the boss so that the burning tapestries event did not occur the second time.
Grundge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #129
Chrol

Developer

For the Va'Tak Telaris fight, you have to move around the room where the crates are to uncover the relic that's filling the room with purple magic. You just have to get within range of it before it becomes viewable. For the solo version I made it visible and clickable from the ground, so once you find it, click it and you'll remove the magic and Systematic Dementia from yourself.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #130
Millie

I can't get passed Va'Tak Telaris no matter how many times I try. I get killed by the dementia.

I have asked for help in chat, and the only thing people say is to stand on the crates, and keep him away from the pillar. Even if I do that, the dementia kills me. Two or three times (out of 25-30 tries) I get a message "You uncover a relic of power near the ceiling" in yellow in the chat window, and there is a portal looking thing that opens, that can be clicked. So far I have not been able to reach the portal more than once, but that time it said it canceled the dementia. Perhaps its being an arasai but even standing on top of the crates, the portal is out of range. However, this is a rare occurrence that the portal, relic or whatever it is appears, so not sure how you are supposed to figure this encounter out otherwise. Even when at full health and getting Telaris health down, I die from the dementia.

The view is also very obstructed by Telaris himself, it seems I end up standing inside of him, so perhaps I'm missing something else other than the portal-looking object near the ceiling. I've tried running around the room just to look, go from crate to crate, stand on top of one, etc. The only time I see anything is when the chat text appears that there is a relic of power, and that is clickable (even if not reachable, but that's of course a separate problem, that hopefully would work out if it showed up more than once in 10 tries or so)

I don't mind other than that this is blocking the whole questline, its fine to have content that is just not for some players, but other than this one questline there doesn't seem to be anything else to actually do for a casual player in the expansion. The solo dungeon encounters so far has been fairly straightforward with some trial and error, but tbh, if this one encounter is blocking me from even experiencing the basic content and questline in the whole expansion, there isn't much point in buying it this time. Last years expansion you could at least get through the initial quests and story around Vesspyr, then go at your own pace if you wanted more. A bit miffed I won't be getting the beta mount but as well, since I won't be able to finish the requirement for that despite all the hours I've spent.

If you make the effort to make separate solo and solo advanced dungeons, why not make the solo actually solo for a casual person. Maybe I'm just missing something here but I haven't found any clues from someone as to what I'm overlooking to figure this out.

Anyways. Its fine to exclude people from certain content but why then make a solo version if you still rely on obscure scripts that might be familiar mainly to playstyles that are not the target of the solo dungeon in the first place?
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #131
Clash

I suspected there was something we had to find to remove the magic. Nobody else seemed to think so. The person that came to help me didn't think so either. We got through it after several attempts, which was after my several solo attempts. To get through it he kited Va'Tak around the room. He died once, and I died twice. Luckily my Inquisitor had the ability to resurrect the first two deaths, and I was dead when he finally killed Va'Tak.
Clash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #132
Millie

Thank you so much for the reply. I wanted to write a reply even though it is too late for opinions. It took me a while to try this again properly. I did attempt it by myself again, but I could still only see the relic on one or two attempts out of 10.
So to at least see if I could figure out how it is supposed to work, I roped in my SO to run around in the background to find the relics and click them, while I chipped away at Va'Tak.

We still couldn't kill Va'Tak. I kept him to the wall, hacking away at him, and that would have worked if the dementia did not kill me/us.

The relics are NOT visible from the ground, you had to stand on the crates for the chat message and the swirly relic to show up, and it seems you either have to stand on a very very specific and small spot to see it, or it becomes visible when you jump off the crates as that is when he spotted most of them. They are clickable from the ground though, but again only from a very small spot right underneath. We didn't notice any lag, but people in chat were complaining non stop about extreme lag in the overland zones, so the Relic Spotter stayed still on the crate for a while just to be sure that the lag was not causing the server to not know where he was. I only mention it in case this is a factor, but again, we did not notice any lag at all ourselves.

It seems if you are able to kill Va'Tak before the dementia kills you, you can probably power through this to kill him, but if you have to rely on the script, I can't really see how you are supposed to be able to do this by yourself, with managing the damage Va'Tak does to you increasing, the jumping to see the relics and the precise positioning to click them. Another problem is that once the fight starts, I am unable to even see anything outside of the gigantic Va'Tak, just broken bits of graphics. But, even when having someone else with the only task of finding and clicking the relics, it was just too much, after 20 deaths and 1½ hours my SO gave up, not because it was taking too long but because it was just too frustrating and seemingly random if you would succeed at all. He said that if he could have at least found some method to when the portals showed up, even if dying, there would have been a sense of progress and at least something to work with on your next try. But, on some runs around the room they showed up easily, one and two times of closing them, and the third time when Va'Tak was almost dead, they were just impossible to spot and we died.

Another frustration if you did this with someone not sitting next to you is that the message that the relic/portal was closed didn't show up for the other person.

For me, for this to be possible for a solo player the relic would have to be visible no matter where you are in the room, and Va'Tak would have to do less damage while you are running and clicking it. If that would make it too easy, it would be better if he was harder to fight during the non-running-around times, or the time window to click the relic would be shorter. I do think if you can learn to do this in the solo version, it could be fun to try the harder version, but its too much to begin without any clues as to what you're even trying to do.
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:06 AM   #133
Lodrelhai

My friend and I died several times on Va'Tak, and the last time only made it because the ring spawned on top of her twice and my death prevention restored me to full health. Most of the time I wasn't even near her and Va'Tak, but the poison mist was killing me as I moved between the crates.

I am desperately hoping he was the toughest mob in this zone. At 97 with quested AoM gear and weapons, this is painful as hell, and not at all "solo." Frankly, between this and how long it took to get Bilgewater Falls manageable, I probably wouldn't even bother with this xpac if I weren't getting it for going to Live.
Lodrelhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #134
Chrol

Developer

The clicky for the Va'Tak Telaris fight will always be viewable for solo and advanced solo. I also increased the range at which it can be clicked.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #135
Kalika

Not liking such stupid script ...

Having to be high to avoid the fog (like in the Cave of Dog ... named like that because dogs die there but human not) made sense, having to find a relic does not make any.

Platform guy and final guy are indeed interesting ....

Was there a change with the Platform guy ? Before falling to grab/disarm one of his "bomb"
gave and add, last run i did I got no add at all but falled at least once t grab the bomb. It seems to do a bit of aoe damage.
Kalika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:08 AM   #136
elunihea

Ok cant see anything from the ground or even the top of boxes even tried running around the room with mouse on and view up and nothing! . Have done it with merc or even a real person and still cant kill VaTelaris the range or the clickies aren't there have seen 1 out of 30 pulls now
elunihea is offline   Reply With Quote