EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Player Studio Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Oakbane

The Quiet Type

Hey all,

I was in process of finishing up my weaponset for EQ2 Player Studio when i came across an idea for a Shield. I really thought players would appreciate it.

So i spent a few days working something out and came out with this. Texturing is Work in Progress, but I wanted to make sure this is acceptable before proceeding. I've already spent alot of my freetime on this, and would hate for it to get rejected for being to bloody of a (good) concept.

Can i get feedback from a dev on this? It was actually alot more bloody, but i reduced it some for in game purposes.

Tri count is 998

Also general feedback appreciated!

direct link to pic- https://dl.dropbox.com/u/86490068/E..._head_test1.jpg

Oakbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Covic

Developer

I dont see a pic above, and the gereral rule is to stay away from blood.  Sometimes if we may go with a dark stain to try to give the same effect.

Dave

Covic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Oakbane

The Quiet Type

Here is a direct link to pic. I can make blood darker, please dont reject me..

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/86490068/E..._head_test1.jpg

Old 03-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Covic

Developer

No severed heads.  The shield might make it.  Also darken the stains if you do leave them.

Dave

Old 03-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Oakbane

The Quiet Type

Na its fine, the sheild is nothing special without the head. Ill just scrap it.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Oakbane

The Quiet Type

I should also note, one of the reasons i thought this would make it through submission is there are plenty of dismembered heads throughout EQ2 in various dungeons and zones. Things such as heads on pikes, and other body parts and gore.

Seems kind of silly to have them as part of the environment but not in the form of something like a shield. But regardless, i respect your decision, just wanted to point it out that dismembered heads are already apart of the game in one form or another.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
HaohmaruEQ2

Developer

Oakbane wrote:

I should also note, one of the reasons i thought this would make it through submission is there are plenty of dismembered heads throughout EQ2 in various dungeons and zones. Things such as heads on pikes, and other body parts and gore.

Seems kind of silly to have them as part of the environment but not in the form of something like a shield. But regardless, i respect your decision, just wanted to point it out that dismembered heads are already apart of the game in one form or another.

Can you point me to an environment/dungeon with a fresh severed human head like your shield? I don't recall any as that would be against what we've been told would be acceptable since I've been on the team, but given the depth of content, could be overlooking something somewhere.

However, if you're generalizing dismembered heads as Skulls, Animals, Creatures, etc, then yes - those do exist and in the eyes of those that make the rules, those are, oddly enough, more acceptable. It's humanoids and fresh beheadings/etc that are a no-no, hence the decline. A skull on a pike (or even an entire skeleton, etc) are a-ok as they could have died however long ago and then be propped up as a totem or warning. It's wise for us all to just be safe and avoid overtly gory humanoid stuff.

HaohmaruEQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

The shield by itself looks great. I would add some bolts at the base of the spikes however, but that is just me. I would submit the shield without the head!

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Cakvala

Happy Camper

Question: Would that design be acceptable if it was a beast type severed head or skull, with "aged" blood?

Cakvala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
Covic

Developer

Ya a skull could be fine.  I would actually like to see the shield by itself.  Just the wooden shield with the spikes would look cool. 

A skull could make it look intimidating, but could also make it look to heavy and the skull could be to much of a focal point.  It might be cool if the skull was placed more with actual construction in mind though.  Like the goblin or orc used leather straps though the eye sockets and bolted them to the shield.  It would look a little more permanent.  Also the leather straps could give you another texture and color to add more interesting shapes and design to the shield.

Dave

Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

I think it would look cool if it had some beast's upper arm stuck to a spike like you blocked with the shield and then cut the arm off with your sword.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
Covic

Developer

It sounds cool but that arm will forever be there.  Battle after battle the arm is still there.  I would think the warrior would take if off some time before the next battle, just due to the extra wieght.

Dave B.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #13
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

Covic wrote:

It sounds cool but that arm will forever be there.  Battle after battle the arm is still there.  I would think the warrior would take if off some time before the next battle, just due to the extra wieght.

Dave B.

It would be a combination shield and lunch box for troll warriors!