EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Player Studio Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Oakbane

The Quiet Type

Hey all,

These got accepted and should be coming to Everquest 1 soon. Sadly EQ2 does not support weapons (yet) so these can only be obtained for EQ1.

Feedback appreciated, and if enough people like them i will do my best to make more upon request!

Oakbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Cakvala

Happy Camper

Glad you were able to get the poly count to the point they would accept the items, they look great as always!

Cakvala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
Covic

Developer

Those look awesome.  Weapons will be allowed in EQ2 really soon.  We are finalizing up the new web layout.  You make these for EQ2 I will almost definately pass them through.

Dave B.

Covic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
feldon30

SOE Community Council

Woot! I'm glad these got approved and can't wait to see them in EQ2. SMILEY

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
bryanpost

The Quiet Type

Is there an ETA to these going live in EQ? Please =)

bryanpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

Very dramatic. SMILEY

Eden_Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Syrah

Player Studio Program Manager

A note regarding EQ2 weapons: I don't believe we will be able to do bows, at least initially. Please keep that in mind.

Shields will be treated as a separate category and arrive the same day as weapons.

Syrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Lungz

The Quiet Type

that stuff looks sick dude. well done.

someone bring fortune and glory to eq2 in the form of a katana so my bruiser can duel weild after 8 years!

the original Rebellion from eq1 give this a 

Lungz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
Oakbane

The Quiet Type

Some of these items exceed 500 triangles. Most hover around 600 triangles. Im having concerns about spending the time to polish these up and add a few more edge loops to smooth out things such as the axe blade and create a fresnel map as well. only to have the item be declined.

The items are very optimized, but they all share 1 texture (minus shield) so it was a huge challenge getting them all done using this method. If i were to delete some edge loops, it would cause uv artifacts.

Can a dev tell me if I were to delete edge loops and polygons to reach the 500 triangle LOD limit, would having these uv texture artifacts and/or missing polygons be a deal breaker for getting accepted. From a distance i dont think players will notice, but it will be impossible for me to reach below a 500 triangle count without creating texture artifacts.

Oakbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #10
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

How did you get them accepted at over 500 polys when we are supposed to be at 400 or lower?

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
feldon30

SOE Community Council

They were rejected for EQ2. He is asking if it's worth the trouble for him to rework them to 500 triangles or if they will just get rejected again.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
Covic

Developer

feldon30 wrote:

They were rejected for EQ2. He is asking if it's worth the trouble for him to rework them to 500 triangles or if they will just get rejected again.

I never saw them in the EQ2 submissions.  I am the one that approves items and I never saw them come through the my pipeline.

Dave

Old 03-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Covic

Developer

Oakbane wrote:

Some of these items exceed 500 triangles. Most hover around 600 triangles. Im having concerns about spending the time to polish these up and add a few more edge loops to smooth out things such as the axe blade and create a fresnel map as well. only to have the item be declined.

The items are very optimized, but they all share 1 texture (minus shield) so it was a huge challenge getting them all done using this method. If i were to delete some edge loops, it would cause uv artifacts.

Can a dev tell me if I were to delete edge loops and polygons to reach the 500 triangle LOD limit, would having these uv texture artifacts and/or missing polygons be a deal breaker for getting accepted. From a distance i dont think players will notice, but it will be impossible for me to reach below a 500 triangle count without creating texture artifacts.

Spending extra time should not be a deterrant.  Think of every submissionas as a demo reel that you are showing us that will get you the job.  Thats basically what it is.  You are giving us your best work to show that you are better then all the other submissions and deserve to be on our market place.  Perfecting your art not only helps your chances of getting something submitted but will also probably net more money in the long run.  The amount of payback you will get for making a good submission is far greater then the amount of work. 

Player studio is a chance for players to share in a piece of the profits from our game.  It should be looked at as a business deal where you could make a lot of money.  It would be to your benefit to have the best looking asset you can make, essentially having the best resume proving that we want to be in business with you.

Dave

Old 03-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
Covic

Developer

Oakbane wrote:

We allow up to 1000 triangles for a weapon in EQ2.  Just use all the geo correctly to add shape or help with your uv map.

Dave