EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Player Studio Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

I haven't heard much feedback about the North Star cloak. I'm curious... would anyone want it in other colors?

Please let me know what you think. I can do that and submit them, if there's interest.

Thank you for your time, and have a nice day.

*Update* -- SOE has stated that they only want one color of each PlayerStudio-submitted item. Because of this decision by SOE, I cannot offer this cloak (or anything else) in other colors.

Thank you for your time and interest.

Also in SC Market since the original post:

Coming Soon (no idea *how* soon, but these have been approved and are in line to appear in the SC market):

Still under consideration (SOE has not yet posted a decision):

... and more in my head clamoring to get out, so 'tis highly unlikely this will be the end!

Eden_Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Syrah

Player Studio Program Manager

This cloak looks great - even better in game. I have it on one of my characters.  SMILEY

Syrah

Syrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Ojawu

The Quiet Type

It is very nicely done and especially appreciate the clear use of color...soe made stuff often looks muddy and washed out.  The only but would be my personal thing which is I'm not big into cloaks....but will buy this one because of color and simple design...I also do not like the soe tendency to just glop on too many things and overdo an item.  

Ojawu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

Thank you for those lovely compliments!

Also for buying and wearing the cloak.

Again, any feedback is highly welcomed - thank you for your time, and have a great day.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
feldon30

SOE Community Council

Eden_Evergreen wrote:

Again, any feedback is highly welcomed - thank you for your time, and have a great day.

I was going to keep my comments to myself, but you started a thread requesting feedback, so...

Cloaks, like any design, comes down to personal taste. It looks like from the feedback above that many people are seeking clean straightforward designs with bright colors. The "less is more" approach.

I guess I'm in a different camp because personally I look for cloaks that draw attention with intricate designs, rich textures, and use of depth. I actually like the cloaks with heavy cloth or leather textures, inlaid gold and silver details that shine in the light, and stitched edges that stand out. Maybe I just like clutter. SMILEY

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

At the very least you have inspired me to make cloaks for Everquest2 even though I am a resident of Everquest. I am a member of the cluttered cloak school at this time SMILEY

Is your mariner cloak for sale in EQ2 or is there a way to model cloak textures before they are accepted and processed by the SOE artists?

I like the mariner cloak in blue the best and it is a nice design, but was it accepted? I had a few items rejected because they were deemed non-EQ lore much like I thought a mariner symbol would be (this is not a knock on your design. I like it).

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

I just noticed that Syrah has a cloak in game so gratz SMILEY

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
Syrah

Player Studio Program Manager

That cloak is not on _this_ character, but on the character that I actually play the most.  SMILEY

My personal taste in cloaks also goes to the busy, ornate side. For my main, I like a cloak that makes me feel regal/royal/noble/classy/wealthy. I think that goes well with the rest of my projected persona for that character. 

Syrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

rollenzekson wrote:

Is your mariner cloak for sale in EQ2 or is there a way to model cloak textures before they are accepted and processed by the SOE artists?

I like the mariner cloak in blue the best and it is a nice design, but was it accepted?

Yes, this "North Star Cloak" was accepted and created, and is currently offered for sale in EQ2's SC market.

I downloaded the sample cloak, template and texture maps, and then made my own design based on what I learned from those examples.

I also have more elaborate designs in mind - never fear!

I wanted to start with something striking and dramatic, yet simple. I'll work my way up from there. Adding details can sometimes cause one Fizzlethorpe Bristlebane to have more opportunities to work his mischief, and I really didn't want his "help" on this project.

Thank you all for your feedback! Information always helps. I may submit the other colors also, since I often hear people wanting black and purple designs ... and more variety seldom hurts.

Happy Gaming, and happy "Frostfell" season.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:34 AM   #10
Meig

I have not purchased this cloak although I did admire the design. I would like to see it in a more muted color but then I'm fond of the more natural styles anyway. I only have one character in any bright color at all and that's my pink froggie SMILEY And she's in... pink. LOL However, I do love the clean star and border! Would love to see you submit this something with brown or beige tones. But it sounds like I'm in a minority SMILEY Nice job!
Meig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
feldon30

SOE Community Council

Eden_Evergreen wrote:

I downloaded the sample cloak, template and texture maps, and then made my own design based on what I learned from those examples.

I also have more elaborate designs in mind - never fear!

I wanted to start with something striking and dramatic, yet simple. I'll work my way up from there. Adding details can sometimes cause one Fizzlethorpe Bristlebane to have more opportunities to work his mischief, and I really didn't want his "help" on this project.

Thank you all for your feedback! Information always helps. I may submit the black one also, since I often hear people wanting black designs, and more variety seldom hurts.

Happy Gaming, and happy "Frostfell" season.

It has to be cool to be the FIRST to have a cloak approved. Looking forward to seeing where you go with them. SMILEY

Old 12-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

feldon30 wrote:

It has to be cool to be the FIRST to have a cloak approved. Looking forward to seeing where you go with them.

Yes, it was a wonderful surprise to find that my work had made its way into the SC Market so soon!

With all the nifty holiday things happening in-game, I'm unlikely to get anything else submission-ready before the first of the year. After that, as RL and playing permits, I'll be offering a few more items that I hope SOE will also approve. SMILEY

Old 02-11-2013, 03:44 AM   #13
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

As promised, more cloak designs have been submitted. I have updated the first post to include those pictures.

The Leaf Tapestry cloak has been accepted; the others still await inspection.

I shall likely be distracted by in-game holiday events for a while, but I do have more designs in my head clamoring to get out. So there will be more, eventually.

Happy gaming!

Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
feldon30

SOE Community Council

Eden_Evergreen wrote:

*Update* -- SOE has stated that they only want one color of each PlayerStudio-submitted item. Because of this decision by SOE, I cannot offer this cloak (or anything else) in other colors.

That seems to run counter to what we were told at SOE Live. Are you sure they didn't mean that you need to submit each color separately?

Also, I like your new cloaks that you've posted. Quite different from what's available in-game, which in my opinion is a good thing. Offer people what they can't get elsewhere. SMILEY

Old 02-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

feldon30 wrote:

Eden_Evergreen wrote:

That seems to run counter to what we were told at SOE Live. Are you sure they didn't mean that you need to submit each color separately?

Also, I like your new cloaks that you've posted. Quite different from what's available in-game, which in my opinion is a good thing. Offer people what they can't get elsewhere.

They did an update to that in a webcast, stating that they have chosen to go with only one color for each design. Even though different colors were offered separately, they were not accepted.

For example ... Quote:

DECLINED cloak - eq2_northstar_black_cloak.zip At this time, we are not encouraging or accepting color variants of existing or submitted items. This stance can change however but we want to keep the submissions focused on one original asset currently.

Pleased that someone else likes the new cloak designs recently submitted, also. I thought they came out well, and hope that SOE will agree. I'll update the first post to remove any that get declined whenever I hear back from the screening process... though I'm hopeful that each is distinctive enough to pass inspection. SMILEY

Old 02-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #16
Covic

Developer

Edens cloaks are great.  What I like about them and what I am looking for in submission is "Do they feel like they were made in a High Fantasy Medieval era."  The items fit well when they feel like they are made of real materials and hancrafted by the characters of Norrath. 

We have had cloaks go in that feel like they could have been made with a silk screen process, and we do have some cloaks in game that have this look but the more realistic high fantasy ones always do better in our market place and this is what we are looking for.  Whether they are plain or over the top intricate its the feel of the realistic construction that helps them sell.

Dave

Covic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #17
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

Thank you for your kind words. SMILEY

Added a few more... hope they find favor, and bring enjoyment. SMILEY

Old 03-15-2013, 04:20 AM   #18
Estr

I know your cloak recieved mixed input from people on my server. However some of them I actually would lable as "elitist" and are quite rude. I do like the work you have done. I do agree with that declination you got though as Recolor's would flood the market. I also wanted to pop in and say hi SMILEY. I am very active on the main EQ2 Forums but not so much over here, so I am trying to get myself out there a little bit.

Again, nice work.

Estr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #19
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

The "declined because they only want one color" is the policy for all artists now, and has been made official in a webcast.

I'm pleased you ike my work, and hope that if you bought either of the cloaks that have (so far) found their way ito the marketplace that you will continue to enjoy them. SMILEY

I never expected that everyone would like my cloaks. There are as many different opinions and tastes as there are people, and some will like and others dislike.

Though it's always sad when people lower themselves to be rude. Regardless of whom they were attempting to put down, it always makes the rude one look worse.

I hope your efforts also meet with success, and that you'll acquire a "teflon" skin that prevents rude remarks from troubling you - but instead causes them to slide off harmlessly. SMILEY

Old 03-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #20
Estr

Hehe, Eden. The climate I go within in EQ2 is harsh sometiems (high-end raiding has it's nasty sorts) so I have developed tough hide. Still ridicule/critique always betters my listening skills which help make me a better artist.

Estr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #21
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

If there's content hidden among the rudeness, aye. *nods* If they just say variations on, "this stinks!" there's not much insight to be gained. SMILEY Happy Arting!
Old 03-16-2013, 03:36 AM   #22
Covic

Developer

Eden_Evergreen wrote:

If there's content hidden among the rudeness, aye. *nods* If they just say variations on, "this stinks!" there's not much insight to be gained. Happy Arting!

Ya most people can kinda recognize when something looks wrong but it takes an artist to know what that something is and to be able to give constructive feedback.

Covic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #23
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

Covic wrote:

Eden_Evergreen wrote:

If there's content hidden among the rudeness, aye. *nods* If they just say variations on, "this stinks!" there's not much insight to be gained. Happy Arting!

Ya most people can kinda recognize when something looks wrong but it takes an artist to know what that something is and to be able to give constructive feedback.

True, though some times when people just say variations on "this stinks" -- it's merely a matter of preference.

The item simply might not be a color or style they like. As discussed earlier in this thread, they might like understated and the design is elaborate (or vise-versa), or they might like jewel tones and the item is in neutrals, etc.

Some people appreciate Medieval and Renaissance-inspired styles. Others think those styles look weird, and only want modern-look. Consider how many guys pitch a fit when their mage-archetype character has to wear "a dress" ...

I agree that most useful feedback comes from either other artists, or artistically-minded people (as in they could probably be[come] an artist if they took the time to do art, but for whatever reason they focused their time and energies elsewhere).

Myself, I tend to find constructive feedback or criticism far more useful than mud-slinging. If there seems to be a point hidden in the mud-slinging however, I will take a look.

In the past, I've had things like "this is crooked" come from mudslingers, and I could check with a ruler (or equivalent) and see that the design they were complaining about was *not* crooked. Unfortunately, some of those comments came from other artists. I suspect, in a few of those cases, that they were mostly just venting because they hadn't thought of that particular idea first... and I chanced to be a convenient target at the time.

So, while I listen to any potentially pertinent concerns sprinkled among rude commentary, I also take it with a grain of salt. *winks conspiratorially*

Some people complain that the sun rises in the east... *shrugs helplessly* I can't let that type of thing get me down, or distract me overly much from the next project.

(Edits: *grumbles something unintelligible about typos*)