EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Priest's Sanctum > Defiler
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-18-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
Tiphani

Lord

Can anyone give me input on the BEST way to AA spec for Healing? I'm having the hardest time trying to figure it out. My main is a Warden and I've never really played another class and I've got NO idea how to spec..Can anyone show me the best AA spec for a Healer?..Thanks

Old 11-02-2010, 05:58 AM   #2
Griffildur
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: First Lords

Loremaster

I asked for some help regarding AA and got no reply as well SMILEY.

164 AA

So in the end I figured it out ( did ask for some help from other defilers, in game though ). There are plenty of nice people around willing to give you some feedback.

STR - I went 4 10 10 1 8

Agi - 4 10 10 1 8

Wis - 4 8 10 1

I got Ancestral Channeling as well - 2 points there.

From shadows  tree 

General line : hp and power

Priest : Prayer of Healing

Shaman : Kindred Restoration , Prophetic Spirit,  Tribal Frenzy

I don't remember the others in the Defiler tree, I know I got Soulward and Cannibalize, but don't remember the exact distribution of the other points in their respective lines.

This build is from a raid point of view only. I haven't tried it yet, as I am only 85 atm, so still have a bit of lvling to do.

My big qestions are the STR line, I have yet to see if the dog dies too much. If he does then str is useless, but that remains to be seen in an actual Raid.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:59 AM   #3
Griffildur

Loremaster

lol, i just realised when this thread was created ... boy our forum is dead SMILEY. where are all the defilers ?

Old 11-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Tigress

Loremaster

crying bc ithey have super duper long casting times for their wards/heals?  lol

i cant remember off-hand what lines are what... did you go down the line that reduces your casting time from super duper long to long?  (i can look later if need be but am not logged in at the moment.)

Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
Tigress

Loremaster

ok i logged in.  STA tree reduces the casting times for the wards/heals.  its the third one down.  i got my dog's tree maxed out and then immediately went to the STA bc the interrupts were getting irritating with those super duper long casting times for wards/heals.  it was harder to keep ppl (and my dog) alive.  its better now.  i have not done raids, just groups nor am i as high as you are in level.

i didn't fill in the first two past the required 4 for the STA tree bc my goal was to reduce casting times.

EDIT:  I looked on the wrong character.  it's not STA, it's WIS but you do have to go all the way down to get the full benefits.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:44 AM   #6
Notsovilepriest
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Ill Gotten Gain

Loremaster

sta line does nothing for ward or heal cast timeBasically str or sta, personal preference, agi, and wis

I'll post my spec later not at the computer

Old 11-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
Griffildur

Loremaster

After a few days of playing, in solo / group mode I have to say I still feel that STR line is very very good. I don't even ward or heal myself solo regardless of how many mobs I have on me, the dog's wards and heals were always more than enough to keep me up. In group mode, AOE block procs a lot and helps the group a lot.

Still haven't tried in raid mode, only lvl 86 now , so still a bit to go SMILEY

Old 11-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
Notsovilepriest

Loremaster

http://www.beetny.com/eq2aa/[email protected]@[email protected]@11

Is my AA spec.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
Sedenten

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

http://www.beetny.com/eq2aa/[email protected]@[email protected]@11

Is my AA spec.

I did something close to this spec, except that I left out the Atrophyweaving section of the Defiler/EoF section.  I would need to check where I tossed the leftover AA's to from not going down that line completely.

Honestly, it's going to depend on how you play the game.  Here's some guidelines that might help you decide (I've placed an asterisk by the lines I use).  Keep in mind these are largely my opinion, but they shouldn't be too far off base from what most raiding defilers are going for:

Shaman/KoS tree

1.  *Agility line (i.e. Spiritual Leadership line) - From a healing perspective, this line is only going to noticeably help your heals if you're greater than level 80 (except for the crit chance bonus, of course).  Prior to that, it only provides a crit chance and DPS increase.  I highly recommend the line for any defiler who is 81+, as the Spiritual Leadership line is incredible for both casual as well as hardcore raiding defilers (note that it procs 30% of the time that you take any damage, which means it's up quite frequently on an AOE fight).

2.  Stamina line (i.e. Coagulate line) - This line is all about the cures.  If you max out the third ability down in the line, your single target cures are extremely fast and use 0 power.  A lot of raiding shaman 81+ skip this line, as you quickly reach close enough to the casting speed cap that you can give up the line entirely.  The extra recovery and less power cost would be the only benefit for higher end raiding shaman.  Correcting one of the above posters, this line does absolutely nothing to decrease the casting speed of your wards--it only affects single target cures.  Coagulate is an ability that can be debated--it gives you a higher unconscious health pool once you reach 0 health.  This can be seen as adding an extra ~1200 health to the group, though when you reach 0 health and fall unconscious you also lose all mitigation bonuses.  The SF endline for this lowers the reuse on your group cure.  Most endgame raiding shaman put 3-4 points in this and have enough reuse from gear or buffs to bottom out the group cure with that (it doesn't get lower than 10 second reuse).  You do not need to have any points in any other Stamina line ability to put points into the group cure bonus.

3.  *Strength line (i.e. dog line) - If you like using your dog, this line is all about him.  The SF endline (chance for dog to cure) is another ability that is debated a bit--it's a random chance so it's not a cure you can depend on.  Personally I have him curing a lot and just like to have that random chance there in the offchance he cures something important before I can.  The rest of the line gives a chance for the dog to allow your group to avoid AOE's and give your group a ward.  There's a haste bonus too, though I wouldn't go with this line solely for that.  The big issue a lot of defilers have with this line is that if the dog dies mid-fight, all of the AA's are worthless until you can resummon him.  He honestly doesn't die often for me.

4.  *Wisdom line (i.e. Ritual of Alacrity) - I've always had this line in any of my specs--the very first ability, Ritual, can be tied in a macro to be used before any of your heals and it will add it's bonus when it's up.  I have it macroed with single and group wards so it's constantly being used.  It's worth maxing out for that reason alone.  The reuse bonus is always beneficial, since it's hard to max out reuse for us.  Ritual of Alacrity is loved by every other class, though you can't use it on yourself.

5.  Ancestral Channeling - This is the endline for Sentinel's Fate and is a must have for any shaman.  Drop two points into it and use it as an emergency.   It casts very fast and can top a group off from nearly dead in 2 seconds.  One of the only downfalls about being a shaman is we have more difficulty healing through spike damage that gets past our wards on the group.  This ability helps address that somewhat.

Defiler/EoF trees

1.  *Soulward - The abilities to note in this line are Shroud of Armor (max this out regardless of your spec), Voice of the Ancestors (if you raid, you don't need to max this to bottom out the reuse of the spell), Spiritual Shrine (same deal as Voice), and Soulward.  Soulward isn't near as potent as it used to be (potency does not affect it and it cannot critical), but it's still a great emergency ability to have.

2.  *Cannibalize - The two main abilities here are Cannibalize and Maelstrom.  Cannibalize is like a mega mana stone.  I've had it return in the neighborhood of 5k power, though that's with a ton of potency and crit bonus.  I use Maelstrom all the time, so speeding up it's healing and damage ticks is always nice.  Of what's left, go with whatever you like.  

3.  *Hexation - Regardless of your playstyle, the Bane of Warding upgrade is a must have.  If you raid, you might as well get this line down to Hexation as it is still relevant and useful for many encounters.  If you don't raid, I wouldn't bother too much with this line outside of Bane of Warding. 

4.  Atrophyweaving - I had this line for the longest time.  It speeds up the casting time and reuse of most of your primary debuffs, raises their duration and decreases power cost.  A lot of defilers use this line.  I have personally dropped this line, though it's worth looking in to if you debuff a lot (and you should be if you aren't already doing it)

5.  Sentinel's Fate Endlines - The four big ones are Noxious Shroud, Vile Runes and Ancestral Cleansing.  Ancestral Cleaning adds a ward to both your single AND group cures (minus Cure Curse and Voice of the Ancestors, that is) and can crit for around 4k at 90 with high potency and crit bonus.  Sacrificial Restoration is honestly useless and should never have points spent in it.  For the times when you actually land this and heal something, it's rarely going to reach it's full potential.  A lot of new defilers drop points into the ability but they're honestly a waste when you think really hard about it.  If you're ever looking to increase your abysmal DPS (!), the Defile bonus isn't too bad to toss some points into--my defile hits for about 1100-1200 damage and ticks very quickly with this AA.  I have a spec set up where I've taken the Umbral Trap upgrade, but I honestly can't say it is making a huge difference in raids with the extra encounter speed debuff.  I'm sure it helps, though, so if you have extra points to spend it's not a bad idea.

Shadows Achievements - Honestly, use the above example posted by Notsovilepriest for any heal spec.  There's not too many other directions you can go with a pure healing build.  Some defilers toss extra points into the debuffs (Ancestral Curse and Spiritual Seal), but that's a matter of personal preference. 

I hope that helps. 

Sedenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
Tigress

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

sta line does nothing for ward or heal cast timeBasically str or sta, personal preference, agi, and wis

yes it does.  it reduces the casting time of beneficial spells.  it's the third one down in the line & its made my defiler much more tolerable.

EDIT:  I looked at the wrong character, it's WIS not STA.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
Notsovilepriest

Loremaster

Tigress wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

yes it does.  it reduces the casting time of beneficial spells.  it's the third one down in the line & its made my defiler much more tolerable.

No, it doesn't, reduces cast time of cures only, not all spells.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
Xillean
Guild: Legends of Firiona Vie

Loremaster

No it doesnt and Notso is right, it does nothing for heals or wards, it does reduce the cast for your CURE spell and only the basic version at that.

Edit: Heh notso beat me to it!

Xillean 90 Warden, Annajhilam 90 Fury, Sageth 90 Templar, Eylisa 90 Defiler, Galacia 90 Wizard, Mayladen 90 Necromancer, Nameless 90 Coercer, Rauz 90 Berserker, Jacelyn 90 Paladin, Whispers 90 Monk, Trayleigh 90 Dirge, Jillean 44 Ranger
Xillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #13
Slowin

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

4.  Atrophyweaving - I had this line for the longest time.  It speeds up the casting time and reuse of most of your primary debuffs, raises their duration and decreases power cost.  A lot of defilers use this line.  I have personally dropped this line, though it's worth looking in to if you debuff a lot (and you should be if you aren't already doing it)

The reason to keep this line at this point is pretty much solely for the decrease in resistability.  Would be curious how resists are affected if i dropped this line.. though I don't really know where else I'd put the points hehe.

Anyway, here's my spec -- mostly similar to Notsoevilpriests with a few exceptions.

AA Spec

I never found the random curing the dog does to be useful whereas i am using Ritual of Alacrity everytime its up so i put all my points in that.

In the defiler tree i've also dropped points out of the soul ward tree since i never use soul ward and moved those around into some more damaging related aa's. 

These choices are of course optimized based on my own reuse (probably due for another adjustment on the number of points i'm using in the relevant choices) and I'd suggest adjusting accordingly for abilities like your group cure and voice of the ancestors.

Anyway, think that covers most of it.

Slowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
Notsovilepriest

Loremaster

Slowin wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

The reason to keep this line at this point is pretty much solely for the decrease in resistability.  Would be curious how resists are affected if i dropped this line.. though I don't really know where else I'd put the points hehe.

Anyway, here's my spec -- mostly similar to Notsoevilpriests with a few exceptions.

AA Spec

I never found the random curing the dog does to be useful whereas i am using Ritual of Alacrity everytime its up so i put all my points in that.

In the defiler tree i've also dropped points out of the soul ward tree since i never use soul ward and moved those around into some more damaging related aa's. 

These choices are of course optimized based on my own reuse (probably due for another adjustment on the number of points i'm using in the relevant choices) and I'd suggest adjusting accordingly for abilities like your group cure and voice of the ancestors.

Anyway, think that covers most of it.

Thing with the dog cure for me, Every 2-3 AE sets in raid I'm able to use Sel'Nok book, between that cure and the extra chance to proc the AE immune, that set is either prevented, or insta cured. While I am torn for not having more in RoA AA but I prefer having that, but again it's personal preference.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
Tigress

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Tigress wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

you're right, i listed the wrong tree.  it's the wisdom tree.  (i have two defilers and i quickly looked at the wrong one bc i thought that they were done the same -- they are now.)

you'll also have to go all the way down the tree to get the full benefits.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #16
Notsovilepriest

Loremaster

Tigress wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Tigress wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

you're right, i listed the wrong tree.  it's the wisdom tree.  (i have two defilers and i quickly looked at the wrong one bc i thought that they were done the same -- they are now.)

you'll also have to go all the way down the tree to get the full benefits.

Again, This AA doesn't effect cast time, but only reuse, but that does effect wards/heals

Old 11-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #17
Slowin

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I'm able to use Sel'Nok book

I was not aware that that item existed.  Little bit of searching turned up where its from and what it does and now i'm quite interested to get it and play around with it.  Even if i don't end up using the dog cures, i could see popping this in to help more reliably avoid planecracker AE's on theer or really any fight with some slaughtering aoe's. 

Thanks for the info!

Slowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #18
Notsovilepriest

Loremaster

Slowin wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I'm able to use Sel'Nok book

I was not aware that that item existed.  Little bit of searching turned up where its from and what it does and now i'm quite interested to get it and play around with it.  Even if i don't end up using the dog cures, i could see popping this in to help more reliably avoid planecracker AE's on theer or really any fight with some slaughtering aoe's. 

Thanks for the info!

It's amazing, Also save leg bleed for right before the AEs hit for the extra chance to proc both things for the AEs. There is also an identical effect on a book from Necrotic asylum too.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #19
Griffildur

Loremaster

ok, I did a "little" search too but it didn't turn out anything.

What is this Sel'Nok book you mentioned ?

Old 11-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #20
Sedenten

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

ok, I did a "little" search too but it didn't turn out anything.

What is this Sel'Nok book you mentioned ?

The book is one of the Sel'nok brigade faction items (bought off the merchant in Jarsath Wastes; the cave immediately to the right as you enter).  It has a clickie effect which raises your proc rate temporarily.

Runed Guard of the Sel'Nok - http://www.lootdb.com/eq2/item/-1297514009

It's similar to the item from the Necrotic Asylum boss (Words of the Dread Exarch - http://www.lootdb.com/eq2/item/1404480392):

I haven't personally tested it, but I wouldn't think that the book would affect the rate of dog procs.  Are you sure you're not just mousing over the dog's abilities and reading it that way?  The proc rate will appear higher for you on the examine (wonderful examine quirk), but in reality the dog shouldn't be using this effect unless it also casts on him.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #21
Notsovilepriest

Loremaster

I notice a difference when I have it clicked and not, the procs get far more reliable, still not perfect, but you get more control. It works because it's your spell on the dog so it's gaining the proc increase along with you(My theory)
Old 11-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #22
Griffildur

Loremaster

thank you, I am going to get that book and play with it a little SMILEY

Old 11-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #23
Tehom

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I notice a difference when I have it clicked and not, the procs get far more reliable, still not perfect, but you get more control. It works because it's your spell on the dog so it's gaining the proc increase along with you(My theory)

That's really interesting. I wouldn't have thought it would, since the things that increased proc chance like on bard proc songs didn't work on people they cast it on, but it's sure worth a try. I should have thought of using Sel'nok book for Spiritual Leadership alone anyway. Thanks a lot for posting that.

Tehom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #24
Notsovilepriest

Loremaster

Oh, Np. I still am fully adjusting to Defiler after being Mystic mainly for years SMILEY
Old 11-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #25
Zacarus
Guild: Elusive

Loremaster

Here's how I spend the 216 aa's my 83 bg-only defiler currently has.

Wakanta heal spec

I don't understand why people (see beetny links above) aren't spec'ing Soul Cannibalize in the Defiler tree.  I click that button every chance I get.  I put 5 pts into it.  Maybe their specs assume they have an enchanter or bard with them at all times, ie, raid situation?

Zacarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #26
Notsovilepriest

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Wakanta heal spec

I don't understand why people (see beetny links above) aren't spec'ing Soul Cannibalize in the Defiler tree.  I click that button every chance I get.  I put 5 pts into it.  Maybe their specs assume they have an enchanter or bard with them at all times, ie, raid situation?

Canabalize crits for ~30% power for me and Soul Cannibalize doesn't do great damage either so only use it to proc things really.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #27
Sedenten

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Wakanta heal spec

If you level to 90 and start raiding with him, you'll notice how little Soul Cannibalize really does.  Cannibalize is a sick amount of power return with all of the raid gear bonuses, so the extra few ticks now and again from Soul Cannibalize is hardly noticeable at all.  It doesn't matter if I have a group with no power regen (from utility class or gear)--Cannibalize is more than enough to keep me good on power even on heavy power drain fights.

On one of my specs I think I still tossed some points into it, but not because I was hurting on power.  We're one of the last classes in the game that should be having power issues.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #28
Griffildur

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Wakanta heal spec

If you level to 90 and start raiding with him, you'll notice how little Soul Cannibalize really does.  Cannibalize is a sick amount of power return with all of the raid gear bonuses, so the extra few ticks now and again from Soul Cannibalize is hardly noticeable at all.  It doesn't matter if I have a group with no power regen (from utility class or gear)--Cannibalize is more than enough to keep me good on power even on heavy power drain fights.

On one of my specs I think I still tossed some points into it, but not because I was hurting on power.  We're one of the last classes in the game that should be having power issues.

I agree with Koinoo 100%. I too have no point in Soul Canni , it is part of my spell rotation, but I wouldn't waste AA on it, since there are many goodies we get in our AA trees .

Cannibalise is just too good and keeps me going all the time.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #29
Zacarus
Guild: Elusive

Loremaster

Yeah so I disagree... why not use Soul Cannibalize?  Its a spell that damages and increases power.  You have to put 20 pts into decaying anyway, why not put it into one of our most useful (imo granted) damage spells?

Also, I rarely need to use cannibalize because with all the nickel and diming I do managing my power (ie, use soul cannibalize), I don't need it (much).  So yeah I think a defiler is nuts not max'ing that aa option.

Zacarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #30
Notsovilepriest

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Yeah so I disagree... why not use Soul Cannibalize?  Its a spell that damages and increases power.  You have to put 20 pts into decaying anyway, why not put it into one of our most useful (imo granted) damage spells?

Also, I rarely need to use cannibalize because with all the nickel and diming I do managing my power (ie, use soul cannibalize), I don't need it (much).  So yeah I think a defiler is nuts not max'ing that aa option.

It's bad damage, Terrible Power replenishing, and the other AAs in that tree equate into more damage, and I don't need any power regen other than Cannibalize.