EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Player Studio Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
rollenzekson

Happy Camper
rollenzekson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 83
Default

Do the artists artists in each game communicate and or are they the same?

Would you prefer that we submit an item to one of the games first and get it accepted before we submit it to the other?

If we have an item kicked back for a modification in one, but the item is still under review for the other game what should we do?

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Covic

Developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 65
Default

rollenzekson wrote:

Do the artists artists in each game communicate and or are they the same?

Would you prefer that we submit an item to one of the games first and get it accepted before we submit it to the other?

If we have an item kicked back for a modification in one, but the item is still under review for the other game what should we do?

Yes all the artist involved with player studio from each game have regualar meetings together.  So we can all show what is coming through the pipeline of each game.  This helps us come up with new categories and improving player studio overall. 

If you have an item that would work in muliple games then submit as soon as you are ready.  Not all the games have the same guide lines of what they will accept though.  So acceptance in one game is not a gaurantee of acceptance to another even accross EQ1 and EQ2. 

From the guide lines we set in player studio you should have a good idea of what each game is looking for.  Also playing the game can help to see what the art should look like.  Although I know some players dont have time to play them all and want to make items for a game they dont play.   Well we hope to have the new player studio forums up soon, this will make it easier for player studio creators to see what other artist are creating and what is getting accepted without going into game. 

Dave B.

Covic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
rollenzekson

Happy Camper
rollenzekson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 83
Default

Covic wrote:

rollenzekson wrote:

Do the artists artists in each game communicate and or are they the same?

Would you prefer that we submit an item to one of the games first and get it accepted before we submit it to the other?

If we have an item kicked back for a modification in one, but the item is still under review for the other game what should we do?

Yes all the artist involved with player studio from each game have regualar meetings together.  So we can all show what is coming through the pipeline of each game.  This helps us come up with new categories and improving player studio overall. 

If you have an item that would work in muliple games then submit as soon as you are ready.  Not all the games have the same guide lines of what they will accept though.  So acceptance in one game is not a gaurantee of acceptance to another even accross EQ1 and EQ2. 

From the guide lines we set in player studio you should have a good idea of what each game is looking for.  Also playing the game can help to see what the art should look like.  Although I know some players dont have time to play them all and want to make items for a game they dont play.   Well we hope to have the new player studio forums up soon, this will make it easier for player studio creators to see what other artist are creating and what is getting accepted without going into game. 

Dave B.

I hope I don't come across badly here, but I am a little frustrated. I know I probably do the same to the artists :p

I just had a dual submission ( Knight Shield was the file) where the EQ version was kicked back to me while the EQ2 version was still pending. I fixed everything the EQ artist me to fix and resubmitted it. Then the EQ2 version was kicked back to me with several additional issues.

Now the EQ resubmission just got kicked back to me and it says see the EQ2 notes and says nothing about the fixes I made and if they were what was needed for those issues.

Also I was told my spec map was just a conversion of the color map. Am I expected to do a completely new texture for the spec map? I was taught to use render to texture and bake the spec and shadow map into the color map so spec maps are fairly new to me. I do convert my color map, but I adjust the shades. If I have white still I have taken to painting it over with grey and sometimes black. Is there something else expected of me?

The artist used the term GEO and then the term geometry.  Is there a difference of meaning in your terminology? I just want to make sure.

Also I was told "There are no uniform cuts in the geometry" I am not 100% sure what you are getting at here? I made the shield using extrude spline and then target welded the object so I could maintain the shape, but come in under poly budget. Am I being told I might as well box model everything and keep my objects more simplified?

One other question that is not game specific. It was said by an SOE artist and I believe it was you that we could use in game screenshots if we ran said screenshots through filters to change their appearance to make them look painted. I did that and had the item rejected because it was a screenshot. Nothing was said about how I needed to run it through additional filters etc... I really don't mind the item being rejected, but it confuses me on the way it was rejected.

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Covic

Developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 65
Default

Hey Rollenzekson

I sent you a pm and a personal email of what changes to make but have not got a response back.  If you dont mind me submitting the critique here I can do that.  I know some artist would rather have thier critiques personal without other artist seeing the areas for improvement, artist can be very prideful.  But I could submit a critique here that can be beneficial to all the player studio artist.  If that is ok.

This is something that will happen automatically in the upcoming forum upgrades we are doing.  But I can post here if its cool.

Dave

Covic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
rollenzekson

Happy Camper
rollenzekson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 83
Default

LOL I tried to access my private messages several times after I sent you the PM last week. This board doesn't work the same as my guild's website does so I thought we could only send them and not receive them for some reason. I just responded to the first one and will be reading the feedback one in a min. I thought you didn't like me! :p

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
rollenzekson

Happy Camper
rollenzekson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 83
Default

I did not see your email. I sent you a PM response asking for what email you sent it to. I checked all three possible emails you might have and my character's in box.

As far as the critique goes please post it here. I don't mind letting people know I still have issues from time to time. Even the most experienced Max users still have things to learn about the program. Heck I even tought somebody with 20 years in modeling a few things.

btw I just submitted a bunch of stuff this morning so plenty of work for your staff today! 

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Covic

Developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 65
Default

rollenzekson wrote:

LOL I tried to access my private messages several times after I sent you the PM last week. This board doesn't work the same as my guild's website does so I thought we could only send them and not receive them for some reason. I just responded to the first one and will be reading the feedback one in a min. I thought you didn't like me! :p

Haha dont like you.  Are you kidding, you are making a lot of items and are one of our biggest contributers.  I really want to get your items polished to next level and have you help us in filling our player studio store.

As long as you keep making tweaks based on our feedback I will keep helping you.  I know it can be extra work but that extra work will so pay off in the end.

Dave B.

Covic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Covic

Developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 65
Default

rollenzekson wrote:

As far as the critique goes please post it here. I don't mind letting people know I still have issues from time to time. Even the most experienced Max users still have things to learn about the program. Heck I even tought somebody with 20 years in modeling a few things.

Yes art is a life long learning skill.  As artist we can always get better no matter how long we have been doing it.  This is mindset I try to instill in all new artist, and veterans in the industry.  Most of the best artist have the mind set of always trying new techniques and pushing their skills in art.  Thats why they are so good.

Dave

Covic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
rollenzekson

Happy Camper
rollenzekson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 83
Default

Covic wrote:

rollenzekson wrote:

LOL I tried to access my private messages several times after I sent you the PM last week. This board doesn't work the same as my guild's website does so I thought we could only send them and not receive them for some reason. I just responded to the first one and will be reading the feedback one in a min. I thought you didn't like me! :p

Haha dont like you.  Are you kidding, you are making a lot of items and are one of our biggest contributers.  I really want to get your items polished to next level and have you help us in filling our player studio store.

As long as you keep making tweaks based on our feedback I will keep helping you.  I know it can be extra work but that extra work will so pay off in the end.

Dave B.

I imagine you know how frustrating it is for your best looking items to face some sort of rejection. The rejections now will only help me get more complicated stuff done faster.  Now lets get my 26 items that are already approved to market! SMILEY

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper
Eden_Evergreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 63
Default

/slightly_off_topic

Covic wrote:

Yes art is a life long learning skill.  As artist we can always get better no matter how long we have been doing it.  This is mindset I try to instill in all new artist, and veterans in the industry.  Most of the best artist have the mind set of always trying new techniques and pushing their skills in art.  Thats why they are so good.

Dave

*standing ovation*

/return_to_regularly_scheduled_topic

Eden_Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
Covic

Developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 65
Default

I rebuilt your shield to show how to better utilize your geo.  It seemed you want to round the shield also, so I ran cuts from top to bottom to give the rounded effect.  The shield silhouette of the two shields is almost identical but your original shield is 284 triangles and the new one I created came in at 188.  Your shield is on the left, mine is on the right.

Covic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
Covic

Developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 65
Default

I also applied the default shader you had in the obj you sent, you can see in this photo how the geo can affect the shape of the shine.

Covic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
Covic

Developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 65
Default

A common issue I see in many of the player studio art is painting in dark shadows and bright highlights.  When doing this you will not allow the lighting in game to affect your asset.  If a black shadow is painted it will always be black, the light from a torch or fire will hit the black area and it will still be black. 

Then when converting to normal maps and spec maps, the color map can be referenced to start but should be painted on their own.  In the normal map below you can see where the highlight is beveled out since it is just a conversion of the normal map.  Technically on this shield the hightlight area should not be prodruding out as it does in the normal map. 

Then with the spec map using the same highlight you are forcing the shield to only reflect light on the right edge even if the source of light is coming from the left.  In the spec map below the left edge is black and will never reflect light.

Covic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
rollenzekson

Happy Camper
rollenzekson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 83
Default

I just completely redid the shield from scratch.

I had no idea that extrude spline models would export so ugly. Trust me that the max model I used looked clean, but the OBJ export did some strange things.

For some reason it is not letting me post on my PC. Whenever I type or paste anything on the board now the text is locked in to being small and when I hit reply it gives me the error "You must enter a message body"

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
Covic

Developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 65
Default

Oh awesome, I am looking forward to the updated submission. 

About posting are you talking about posting screen shots?

Covic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
rollenzekson

Happy Camper
rollenzekson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 83
Default

posting anything. I just did a fell erstart on my PC and will be testing in a min.

Tested it again after a full reboot and still get the same problem.

I posted elsewhere, but the problem seems to be from the latest version of IE that Microsoft just forced me to download. I am using the Even Eviler Empire's browser now (Chrome) and it is working.

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #17
Realmling

The Quiet Type
Realmling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 14
Default

I use this obj file exporter with max as it tends to do better than the defaults that come with the app. Granted that was to keep things from going wonky on me for Poser related projects, but I find I like it better for just about everything now.

http://www.guruware.at/main/objio/index.html

Realmling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
rollenzekson

Happy Camper
rollenzekson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 83
Default

Resubmitted under the name Khanigit (slight change to keep better track) after a texture redo this morning. I hope its dirty enough for you. You should know artists don't like to make their stuff too dirty :p

Also redid the shield of runes that had the same issues.

Hope you don't read this until Monday because you should be enjoying your weekend!

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:11 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.