EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Player Studio Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Seda

I just came back to EQ2 and learned about the player studio. This interests me greatly and I definitely want to participate. The FAQ and instructions seem fairly clear in terms of poly count, file types, etc, but I do have one question: Does SOE supply an editor or is this BYO? I know the FAQ mentions 3rd party programs, but I just wanted to be sure.

Additionally for those who make cloaks, do you just use the sample mesh (and edit it as needed) SOE provides and create your own textures, or do you start from scratch and create your own?

Finally, with the advent of weapons and hairstyles and other new objects we can create will SOE be providing example files for those as well? The hair thing intrigues me.

Thanks for the information.

Seda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
IceSy

Happy Camper

I can answer your first question,. and it is that SOE does not provide the program(s) needed to make objects for PlayerStudio.  There are free programs that you can use for making both the 3D items, and to make the textures. There is a list here in the forums of the free programs. I personally use Maya and PhotoShop.

IceSy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Seda

Thanks for the quick reply. SMILEY I have access to, and am familiar with, 3ds Max and photoshop, so I'll use those two programs.

I guess follow-up questions would be: from reading the forums it seems SOE hasn't implemented letting people create hair and weapons/shields yet. If this is the case, can we still make weapons and shield for use as house objects, and can we then, when the time comes that they can be used in game, have them be non-house objects--basically having them do double duty?

Finally, do all the gods in EQ2 have a symbol and is this available anywhere to see? I have some ideas I wouldn't mind tinkering with, with relations to the gods.

I have lots of questions, I just want to be sure I have enough information before starting.

Thanks

Old 02-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
IceSy

Happy Camper

Sedare wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I have access to, and am familiar with, 3ds Max and photoshop, so I'll use those two programs.

I guess follow-up questions would be: from reading the forums it seems SOE hasn't implemented letting people create hair and weapons/shields yet. If this is the case, can we still make weapons and shield for use as house objects, and can we then, when the time comes that they can be used in game, have them be non-house objects--basically having them do double duty?

Finally, do all the gods in EQ2 have a symbol and is this available anywhere to see? I have some ideas I wouldn't mind tinkering with, with relations to the gods.

I have lots of questions, I just want to be sure I have enough information before starting.

Thanks

There are a few that use 3DMax (I just like Maya better,. LOL I am strange I guess), so you should be good with that.

I think, if I recall right, that weapons and shields will be available for EQ2 soon(ish). I don't see where there would be an issue with doing "house item only" display type weapons and shields,.. except, players may get confused when seeing them in the MarketPlace. Thinking that they are actual weapons & shields.

As far as the EQ2 "gods",... not sure. I play EQ(1).  I have yet to find symbols for all of the EQ(1) "gods",.... but all the ones in EQ2 may have them.

Questions are never a bad thing.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Seda

Heh,

You're not strange. I just learned 3ds Max first and ended up preferring it to Maya. It seems easier to me, but again user's preference I suppose. SMILEY I'll have to research the EQ2 lore more and see if I can't find anything.

Thanks again!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
IceSy

Happy Camper

Found this,... hopefully it helps you!

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Gods

Old 02-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Seda

IceSy wrote:

Found this,... hopefully it helps you!

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Gods

awesome. Thanks SMILEY

Old 02-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
feldon30

SOE Community Council

Before you design a cloak or other item that uses in-game art, you may want to read this thread: http://forums.station.sony.com/stat..._id=11500053219
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
Covic

Developer

Weapons, shields, and hair should be really really soon.  I have been working with the web guys this week to get this up and running.

Dave B.

Covic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:32 AM   #10
Reliquary

Happy Camper

Covic wrote:

Weapons, shields, and hair should be really really soon.  I have been working with the web guys this week to get this up and running.

Dave B.

Any news on EU submissions. or is it just going to be easier for me to apply for a green card?

Reliquary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Syrah

Player Studio Program Manager

No news yet on Europe other than we are working on it. I was personally surprised to see how much work goes into turning that on. Sorry about that.

Syrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #12
Reliquary

Happy Camper

Syrah wrote:

No news yet on Europe other than we are working on it. I was personally surprised to see how much work goes into turning that on. Sorry about that.

Whilst I am not asking for a definate "set-in-stone" date; any guesstimate?  Weeks, months, seasons?

If it is not likely to happen for a minimum of say 3 months, I think people, would prefer to know than not.  I mean is there any point in making tinkerfest items, when the deadline 1st May etc?

Reliquary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
Syrah

Player Studio Program Manager

We are still in the part of the process where more work is being discovered. No estimate is possible. It's not going to be three months, clearly.

Syrah is offline   Reply With Quote