EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Priest's Sanctum > Inquisitor
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
nisbit

Lord

As the title says, is this an error?

nisbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Yimway

Loremaster

You'd get farther by explaining or showing examples of what is wrong. Or gasp, suggesting how to fix it.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
nisbit

Lord

So I'm a newb at posting pics to the web.  Both the AA and spell match exactly except for the damage component which is:

Smite Heretic (Rank 1): Inflicts 4440-7245 divine damage

Heresy (Master): Inflicts 4639-7576 divine damage

nisbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
manbearpig

Lord

the prestige ability procs off all attacks, not just spell attacks

manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Hardain

Loremaster

Still it should do more damage.

Hardain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Spincatt

Lord

It'll be going off more than the old one did.  That equals more heals from aa and more dmg than before when it was usable on just casters.  I guess that's just the tradeoff for utility.

Spincatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Encien

Elder

This spell is still junk imo. Spec'ed into and played in the new group zones as well as the contested for 6 hours yesterday and it triggered a total of 4 times. I say fix it so it triggers more or replace it with something that works.
Encien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
Jadekah
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Epic Punishment

Loremaster

This ability still rarely triggers. Not to mention the AA buff to the original spell in the Inquisitor tree does not affect its damage like it should. Can we get this looked at and fixed ? It makes the right side Prestige abilities pretty worthless.

Jadekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #9
Malleria

Loremaster

manbearpig wrote:

the prestige ability procs off all attacks, not just spell attacks

If this were true, yea, it'd be great.

Currently it is not procing off of 'all attacks' as it should. Best estimates are that it simply works as Heresy does, and is only triggering on spell casts. Completely useless in its current form.

Malleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:47 AM   #10
Eskol

Loremaster

I didn't see this before I posted a moment ago. I personally think Heresy is broken...I've been watching it for days and I can't get it to proc. I don't have the Prestige Abilities yet, but if it still counts as a punishment (for the little bit of healing) and procs on every hit...it's gotta be better than Heresy.

Eskol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Just wanted to say that I got this ability on my Inquisitor last night, and it was working exactly as described. It was triggering consistently on the MOBs in Chelsith that I was using to grind out my last few prestige points. It also does proc punishment heals like Vengence and Repentance do. Seems like it will be an excellent addition to my DPS rotation, especially as a replacement for Heresy, which has just never worked at all.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
Tekadeo

Loremaster

Maybe it only procs off T8 mobs?  Gotta say the people saying it isn't proc'ing off current-tier content is more condemning then your example of it actually working in Chelsith...

Old 05-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

It is quite possible that there is something different about how current-tier MOBs are designed that makes it less effective. I have yet to actually test it against recent content, but just thought I'd let people know that it does work, at least in some circumstances.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #14
Wigg
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: The Chosen

Loremaster

Posted about this in the inq feedback.  It has to be broken as the current tooltip reads the same as repentance.  I cast it every time it was up and it was the primary cast for pulling mobs.  

It proced 12 times in 08:42 of fighting.  Repentance, which was cast AFTER smite heretic each time proced 87 times.  Average proc rate, 43.5 seconds for EACH proc of damage from Heretic.  Every 6 seconds for Repentance.  

Wigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #15
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

I tested this ability in contested Skyshrine today, and it's working great. It actually parsed just above Vengeance on my zonewide.

You are aware that when checking your logs, you need to look for "Heretical Smite" not "Smite Heretic", right? You'll only see "Smite Heretic" listed a few times here or there (whenever the spell is resisted), the actual damage effect is the "Heretical Smite" proc. You can't always trust spell timer window trigger counts, because it tracks the triggers separately for each MOB affected.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #16
Vellisse

Loremaster

The_Cheeseman wrote:

I tested this ability in contested Skyshrine today, and it's working great. It actually parsed just above Vengeance on my zonewide.

You are aware that when checking your logs, you need to look for "Heretical Smite" not "Smite Heretic", right? You'll only see "Smite Heretic" listed a few times here or there (whenever the spell is resisted), the actual damage effect is the "Heretical Smite" proc. You can't always trust spell timer window trigger counts, because it tracks the triggers separately for each MOB affected.

It is not working. I've checked ZW after raids/heroics and rarely see anything more than 4 triggers accross a zone for Heretical Smite. I've never seen the maintenance window one go below the 3/6 trigger.

It's broken, fix it considering out other AA is doody.

Heres a Convenant Run, 143 Triggers from Repenting, 2 from Heretical Strike (both on Mirrakar). I spammed Smite Heretic for the purpose of getting this in ACT.. it simply DOES NOT go off as intended.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #17
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

I don't know if you posted the wrong logs or what, but you don't seem to be using Smite Heretic on that combat log. I am seeing two triggers of "Heretical Strike" which is the damage proc from the old ability, Heresy, which shares the same timer with Smite Heretic and is therefore mutually exclusive. You are aware that putting a point into Smite Heretic gives you a new ability in your knowledge book with which you need to replace Heresy on your hotbars, correct? Smite Heretic is not an upgrade to Heresy, it is a totally separate ability.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #18
Vellisse

Loremaster

The_Cheeseman wrote:

I don't know if you posted the wrong logs or what, but you don't seem to be using Smite Heretic on that combat log. I am seeing two triggers of "Heretical Strike" which is the damage proc from the old ability, Heresy, which shares the same timer with Smite Heretic and is therefore mutually exclusive. You are aware that putting a point into Smite Heretic gives you a new ability in your knowledge book with which you need to replace Heresy on your hotbars, correct? Smite Heretic is not an upgrade to Heresy, it is a totally separate ability.

Would you care to post some logs of the trigger, I cut off the picture where the damage ended. Smite Heretic had a total of 0 Hits, 2 Misses, nothing else.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #19
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Sure, here is the log of the Contested Skyshrine run I was referring to earlier. Please excuse my Inquisitor alt's gimpiness:

You'll notice that "Heretical Smite" hit 93 times in only 37 encounters (I didn't include the graph, but it was 3% of my overall DPS), and that "Smite Heretic" showed up 4 times due to being resisted.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #20
Wigg
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: The Chosen

Loremaster

The_Cheeseman wrote:

Sure, here is the log of the Contested Skyshrine run I was referring to earlier. Please excuse my Inquisitor alt's gimpiness:

You'll notice that "Heretical Smite" hit 93 times in only 37 encounters (I didn't include the graph, but it was 3% of my overall DPS), and that "Smite Heretic" showed up 4 times due to being resisted.

You will also notice that "Repenting Strike" hit MORE times, even though it is a single target only spell with the same amount of triggers.  (119-109).  Vengence proced an amazing 181 times.  For contested skyshrine which 4/5ths consist of 3 group encounters, your "Heretical Smite" should have 9 triggers per enouncter, without the AAs doubling it.  IF working correctly, it would have smoked both those in trigger amounts.Edit to add that Heretical Smite should proc of any combat action (aka auto attacks) so should only be on the mobs for about 10 seconds total.

Wigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #21
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Bear in mind that Smite Heretic has a significantly longer reuse time than Repentance, even with Heretic's Doom resetting it fairly often. Also, while the encounters in Skyshrine are mostly groups of 3 or more, they also have about 5 HP each, and were getting killed pretty fast, often before they had the chance to attack too many times.

Overall, while it may not be doing exactly what is advertised, the performance of the spell as shown in the parse I posted seems to be quite good, considering it only cost 1 prestige point. I wouldn't expect it to suddenly become our highest-damage spell, and the fact that it was able to beat Vengeance is good enough for me.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #22
gatrm

Loremaster

Ok, so the important question....Is it doing enough to justify taking it instead of the pot---->CB conversion end ability on the left side?  Seems to me the 1.1k dps you got from the ability really isn't enough to justify taking it over the CB. 

gatrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #23
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Well, bear in mind that my inquisitor is only an alt, and isn't well-equipped. How much DPS the ability does will vary wildly based on how much overall DPS your character can generate. Personally, I think it's a useful spell, but then I find plain stat conversions boring, and usually choose more active prestige choices, regardless of their relative effectiveness. I just have more fun with a new spell as opposed to some amount of a passive stat bonus.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #24
Vidar64

Loremaster

Based on the tooltips, Heretical Smite does about 1% less damage than the expert version of Heresy IV.  Based on combat experience, Heretical Smite is much better than Heresy due to it actually proccing on a regular basis.  Of course it works best when cast early in the fight on a multiple mob encounter.

The only complaint I have about Heretical Smite is it seems to have a fairly high rate of being resisted.  But even with the resists, its usually number 2 or 3 on my zone wide raid parses due to all the muliple mob trash encounters.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:12 AM   #25
Jadekah
Guild: Epic Punishment

Loremaster

Ok. Lets revisit this. This ability is NOT working as intended in two ways. One, it just does not proc like it should. Period. Two, Inquisitor Tree AA Enhance : Heresy also does not add to this ability, when every other class who has a similar "replacement" spell gets full benefit from the enhancement AA.

This ability should "proc" EXACTLY like Repentence, given the tooltip.

Our other "Prestige" line is utter garbage, sans the endline--which should be switched to the DPS right side tree anyways.

Jadekah is offline   Reply With Quote