EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Priest's Sanctum > Defiler
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
SecrAtive Girl

Loremaster

i've been pondering over my AA points for a week now and i'm just banging my head against the wall about my final choices. i haven't been able to find much in the way of help in game, so i'm hoping someone here might be able to offer some good advice! ok here's my questions...

1. Herbal Expertise - the AA choice on the shaman tree > stamina line that removes the power cost of basic cures and makes them cast faster. is it worth spending AA for? i'm thinking it's not, and i'm leaning towards Immunities under the intelligence line. what's the opinion of Immunities? 2. i had a hard time deciding if i should dump AA into the skill that increases the return on Soul Cannibalize, or if i should skip that and pick up Cannibalize, or if i should have both. what's the opinion on that? 3. what do you think of the skill Ancestral Avenger? do you find yourself using that skill? it seemed like a good idea to spend AA points on increasing this in the Defiler tree, but i also have Soul Ward. they are both kind of an "oh crap" skill and after thinking about it.... i can't decide which would be more useful or if i should have both. what's the opinion on this?

4. what AA choices do you think are a MUST HAVE?

SecrAtive Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Sedenten

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

i've been pondering over my AA points for a week now and i'm just banging my head against the wall about my final choices. i haven't been able to find much in the way of help in game, so i'm hoping someone here might be able to offer some good advice! ok here's my questions...

1. Herbal Expertise - the AA choice on the shaman tree > stamina line that removes the power cost of basic cures and makes them cast faster. is it worth spending AA for? i'm thinking it's not, and i'm leaning towards Immunities under the intelligence line. what's the opinion of Immunities?

Immunities is basically worthless outside of PVP play.  The stamina cure line loses it's usefulness 80+ with all of the casting/reuse you are able to get on gear by that point.  Some shaman still go with the entire stamina line down to Coagulate, so you'll find differing opinions on this.  I chose the far left/STR/dog line instead of the STA line and have never felt the need to go back to the STA line at all.2. i had a hard time deciding if i should dump AA into the skill that increases the return on Soul Cannibalize, or if i should skip that and pick up Cannibalize, or if i should have both. what's the opinion on that?

Cannibalize is hands down one of the most potent forms of power regen available in the game.  Soul Cannibalize has gotten more useful since they removed the ability for our wards to block power drains.  I have both abilities, but you should be able to max out Soul Cannibalize on your path to getting Cannibalize.3. what do you think of the skill Ancestral Avenger? do you find yourself using that skill? it seemed like a good idea to spend AA points on increasing this in the Defiler tree, but i also have Soul Ward. they are both kind of an "oh crap" skill and after thinking about it.... i can't decide which would be more useful or if i should have both. what's the opinion on this?

Ancestral Avenger is the best deathsaves in the game currently, but this line isn't necessarily worth maxing out.  Soulward is a free, instant cast ward and is an ability I still have and use (albeit I use it less for emergency situations and more as an extra ward). 

4. what AA choices do you think are a MUST HAVE?

It depends wholly on what level we're talking about.  If you are at 90, then look into maxing out the AGI/Tribal line and grabbing the Spiritual Leadership upgrade in the Sentinel's Fate part of the tree to add the ward component.  The ward component itself is quite potent and does a ton in group, raid or solo situations.  For me, Cannibalize is a must have AA and is almost always the first AA line I tell new defilers to start on (power is never an issue with the ability trained).  I would completely stay away from the INT/Scourge column entirely, as most of it is absolutely worthless as a defiler.

Finally, you did not specify what kind of spec you were shooting for.  Are you at level 90 and raiding?  Are you lower level and soloing?  Do you stick primary to grouping?  There is a lot of missing information that would help lead you in the right direction as far as what people have found to be the most useful AA setups. 

Sedenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:52 AM   #3
SecrAtive Girl

Loremaster

thank you for responding! did not think i was going to get any input. i am level 86 and working towards 90. i dislike raiding and doubt i'll ever get into that. my main focus is healing for groups.

SecrAtive Girl is offline   Reply With Quote