EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Priest's Sanctum > Defiler
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
ipvrf123

Lord

Hello, I recently started a new defiler and looking at these forums as well as the forums at the other site EQ2flames.com I can find little to no helpful information on leveling a defiler after the recent expansion. I have seen posts touting AGI and INT as well as STR and STAM and would like to know if anyone out there has any NEW information or tips. I will be soloing and grouping with no plans to raid in the near future but want to see all the content a 6 man can do. Specifically looking for AA specs and pointers on rotation, Currently I am doing the following: Ancient Shroud, Atrophy, HO, Putrefy,  Imprecate, then throw rabies on the mob while auto attacking. Rinse and repeat...

ipvrf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Greggthegrmreapr

Loremaster

If you are leveling from scratch, go mystic first.  it will be much much easier.

Greggthegrmreapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
ipvrf123

Lord

Wow...

I am level 31 right now and I do not mind re-rolling but like I said in my post I dont think I will be raiding, so if I spend my levels as a mystic how does that help me play a defiler? I dont want to go to Runnyeye, Unrest, Mistmoore, etc as a mystic and then at 90 switch back.. If I am not raiding what else will there be left for me to do as a Defiler?

I did not want to play a melee healer becauses its too easy for me to get drawn in to melee and not heal my buds. :O

So I take it the defiler is that bad to level?

ipvrf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
Greggthegrmreapr

Loremaster

It's not impossible to level a defiler, it just takes longer if you solo.  A mystic can be specced to do a very good amount of damage and can solo rather well.  Defilers can't do a lot of DPS at lower levels.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
Tehom

Loremaster

Playing a mystic then betraying would definitely be faster. But if you're not in a rush, my recommendation is to focus as much on your dps as possible, via the int and agility lines in the shaman tree, the damage increases in the cannibalization line in the defiler tree, and so on.

Your rotation for soloing sounds fine. You'd debuff more on harder things that take longer to die, such as soloing heroics and the like.

Tehom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #6
FreddyRo

Loremaster

Some Solo strats:

Group ward before every pull.  ST ward yourself if it looks tough.

Pull to a clear area.  Fear + debuff to start on heroics.  If there's two heroics, fear one and kill the second.

Make sure you have Precognition on yourself and your wolf.  SoW works on him even if u on a mount.

Your group dps will lack until you get higher levels... Lvl 45 HQ for this when soloing groups: http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Hierophant%27s_Crook

and lastly... patience.  If you are playing well and not taking more than green ^^^'s, or sometimes white, you will die from lack of power, not lack of hp.

FreddyRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:47 AM   #7
Sedenten

Loremaster

ipvrf123 wrote:

Hello,I recently started a new defiler and looking at these forums as well as the forums at the other site EQ2flames.com I can find little to no helpful information on leveling a defiler after the recent expansion. I have seen posts touting AGI and INT as well as STR and STAM and would like to know if anyone out there has any NEW information or tips. I will be soloing and grouping with no plans to raid in the near future but want to see all the content a 6 man can do.Specifically looking for AA specs and pointers on rotation, Currently I am doing the following:Ancient Shroud, Atrophy, HO, Putrefy,  Imprecate, then throw rabies on the mob while auto attacking. Rinse and repeat...

Keep in mind that Wisdom is the primary stat for us now.  Strength does absolutely nothing except determine how much weight you can haul around before becoming encumbered.  It does nothing for your melee attacks.  Wisdom affects your auto-attack, melee and spell damage.  So jack that up as high as possible.  If you're doing content that is more difficult, pre-ward yourself with group ward and single ward then reapply single as needed.  I would highly recommend going down the STR line as the dog adds extra DPS and his wards can help conserve power if your wards are dropping.  AGI line (Chieften) isn't a bad line at all now, since it increases all your crits and adds a good bit of melee based damage.  Any of the lines work fine for the lower levels, though to be honest I never used the INT line much when leveling up my defiler, though others swear by it. 

It'll be a slow grind leveling up a defiler compared to other priests, but it's good to do it that way and get accustomed to the class.  You could betray to Mystic until you get higher and solo faster, but I've always said there's enough differences between the two classes that it's worth the long grind just to learn the class well. 

I noticed you posted over on Flames as well, so good to see you posted here as well.  You'll get more level pertinent information here, as over there is typically for high-end and raiding defilers.

Sedenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #8
Greggthegrmreapr

Loremaster

I think INT line is only good for the crit/damage unless you are on PvP server, then it is nice as at lower levels it is nearly a one shot on many classes.

If you are intent of staying defiler to level, get STR and AGI lines I suggest all the way to the main ability in each.  The dog is a nice constant stream of DPS and Wards, and with AGI you can do some pretty nice melee damage with a good weapon and with the new ability in it, can proc wards on Rage.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
Soft

Guardian

Bumping this thread since I was about to start a similar one but the OP here had already made this so I might as well build off of it.I apologize in advance for the extreme beginner nature of some of these questions. In the process of learning the class I'm also learning how the game works and how it differs from other games.Like the OP I'm leveling a defiler from scratch. So far my defiler is level 13 or 14 (I know she's a low level but I really enjoy the class so far and from what I've been reading in the forums here it looks like it only gets better =P). I don't particularly want to play a mystic as I'd like to get accustomed to the quirks of the defiler class and learn it (and the game 9.9) well as I level. I've had a lot of fun day or two playing the class but am a bit confused on the basic class mechanics, AA lines, etc.I was trying to find a basic FAQ for starting defilers but couldn't find anything recently updated, most posts I came across were from 2006/2007.Here are some of the questions that I have:Attributes:Aside from stamina for survivability, sort of as Sedenten wrote, from what I can tell as for gear the primary attribute focus should be on wisdom. Strength appears to only alter our carry weight, intellect our ability to mitigate crits (?), agility affects avoidance. Wisdom though affects how much damage we deal. Is that accurate or is there a balance between wisdom and some other stat that I should be focusing on?Healing:I primary want to play this class since it's considered a strong healing class. I don't mind slow and tedious leveling but I'm hoping that should I find people to group with and do dungeons with while leveling, I'll be able to keep us all alive through buffs, debuffs, wards, cures and heals. I'm fairly experienced at playing healing classes and so I don't have any how-to questions about this but, I was curious if attributes affects heals or if it only affects the damage we deal and if heals are static.AA Building:When I last looked into playing this game (playing an Illusionist) I remember reading to turn off leveling XP entirely at some point and then finish out quests to build xyz AA, turn it back on and level to xyz level, turn it off again, etc. so that you didn't level cap with next to no AA for your level. Coming back to the game with a bit of a more focused mind-set I see that AA now has a XP/AA threshold. I had set this to 50/50 last night but wasn't sure if that's a good number or if there's still some sort of method for having enough AA while leveling so that the class isn't painful to level. Are there any AA goals for the class such as that a person should have some number of AA by level 20, this by 40, this by 60, etc.? Does anyone know good numbers to aim for?AA Lines:From what I've read most people (not all but most) say to level using the strength line in the shaman tree because it helps with soloing. Since I do want to heal dungeons -- but also understand that I'll probably be soloing a lot since I'm not playing the game with any real life friends or friends from other games -- is strength still the right line to go?Also at what point do I want to move away from the shaman tree and start picking things up in the Defiler tree?Lastly, I think I've managed somehow to scrape together the basics of how AA lines work. While I'd imagine the "first few points don't matter" or that AA only starts to really matter once you get to xyz level, I'd like to build towards a goal rather than randomly throw points into this or that and cross my fingers I have it right and respec'ing once I realize how oh-so-wrong I was and how the entire time while leveling I could have made my life much easier. For now I've thrown the first point into the wolf but then kind of twiddled my thumbs and horded all points after that until I figured out what to do with them. Are there any FAQ's/guides as to how to allocate points as we level up?Soloing:So far the class plays to me a lot like a healer with a caster dps design. By this I mean that we have weak attacks (like I'd expect from a healing class), but the method is: When possible pull mobs 1x1  from max range with a DOT, cast a fast nuke as the mob runs forward, cue a heavy hitting nuke to land when the mob gets to us, debuff the mob after the nuke lands, and from there spin in nukes as they come off cool down auto-attack the rest of the time; always using heroic opportunities on cool down.  So, is that the best way solo or are there more effective approaches?That’s all I can think of off the top of my head. Thanks for anyone with time to help.

Soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
Tehom

Loremaster

Soft wrote:

Attributes:Aside from stamina for survivability, sort of as Sedenten wrote, from what I can tell as for gear the primary attribute focus should be on wisdom. Strength appears to only alter our carry weight, intellect our ability to mitigate crits (?), agility affects avoidance. Wisdom though affects how much damage we deal. Is that accurate or is there a balance between wisdom and some other stat that I should be focusing on?Healing:I primary want to play this class since it's considered a strong healing class. I don't mind slow and tedious leveling but I'm hoping that should I find people to group with and do dungeons with while leveling, I'll be able to keep us all alive through buffs, debuffs, wards, cures and heals. I'm fairly experienced at playing healing classes and so I don't have any how-to questions about this but, I was curious if attributes affects heals or if it only affects the damage we deal and if heals are static.AA Building:When I last looked into playing this game (playing an Illusionist) I remember reading to turn off leveling XP entirely at some point and then finish out quests to build xyz AA, turn it back on and level to xyz level, turn it off again, etc. so that you didn't level cap with next to no AA for your level. Coming back to the game with a bit of a more focused mind-set I see that AA now has a XP/AA threshold. I had set this to 50/50 last night but wasn't sure if that's a good number or if there's still some sort of method for having enough AA while leveling so that the class isn't painful to level. Are there any AA goals for the class such as that a person should have some number of AA by level 20, this by 40, this by 60, etc.? Does anyone know good numbers to aim for?AA Lines:From what I've read most people (not all but most) say to level using the strength line in the shaman tree because it helps with soloing. Since I do want to heal dungeons -- but also understand that I'll probably be soloing a lot since I'm not playing the game with any real life friends or friends from other games -- is strength still the right line to go?Also at what point do I want to move away from the shaman tree and start picking things up in the Defiler tree?Lastly, I think I've managed somehow to scrape together the basics of how AA lines work. While I'd imagine the "first few points don't matter" or that AA only starts to really matter once you get to xyz level, I'd like to build towards a goal rather than randomly throw points into this or that and cross my fingers I have it right and respec'ing once I realize how oh-so-wrong I was and how the entire time while leveling I could have made my life much easier. For now I've thrown the first point into the wolf but then kind of twiddled my thumbs and horded all points after that until I figured out what to do with them. Are there any FAQ's/guides as to how to allocate points as we level up?Soloing:So far the class plays to me a lot like a healer with a caster dps design. By this I mean that we have weak attacks (like I'd expect from a healing class), but the method is: When possible pull mobs 1x1  from max range with a DOT, cast a fast nuke as the mob runs forward, cue a heavy hitting nuke to land when the mob gets to us, debuff the mob after the nuke lands, and from there spin in nukes as they come off cool down auto-attack the rest of the time; always using heroic opportunities on cool down.  So, is that the best way solo or are there more effective approaches?

Attributes: Wisdom affects all aspects of damage - melee, spell damage, etc. Intelligence will eventually give a small modifier to critical mitigation, but that's not something you should really worry about for a long time. So basically focus on wisdom when leveling up.

Healing: No attributes affect our healing. You'll want to just chase things like +ability modifier to affect the size of your wards/heals, and crit chance.

AA stuff: Some people recommend having twice as many AA as your level. That can be a little excessive - it's really just personal preference for how strong you want to be compared to your current content. Strength line isn't bad for heaing, though agility may be overall the best line when leveling up now that the crit chance is generic - it'll help both healing and make soloing less tedious. The defiler tree tends to be a bit more raid-centric so I'd probably only work towards Cannibalize or Curseweaving once you've got 2 lines completed in the shaman tree. The Shadows tree will generally give you more benefits than the defiler tree also, with the increase to single ward size, kindred restoration, and the like. I don't know of any guides that'd tell you the order in which to spend points at which level - there's lots of endgame specs out there, but nothing that gradual. Personally I'd say go with agility line first, then strength line, then either get curseweaving or cannibalization in defiler tree, then work on shadows tree.

Soloing: I think you'll find that the chance of actually dying to solo mobs is virtually nonexistent, and that you'll just spend all your time trying to figure out how to kill them faster. It'll be a little easier now that they gave us that 'Wrath' spell, but power may be something of an issue. If you spend most of your time soloing, you may wind up going agi/int in the shaman tree and grabbing cannibalize pretty quickly.

Tehom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
Soft

Guardian

Thank you for the reply! =)I think I did a lot of what you suggested here. It's good to know piecing it together I'm on the right track.

I did wind up grinding AA though over the weekend and ended up at 56 AA for level 22. One of my guild mates encouraged a group of people to set the meter at 100% and see what we'd end up with (he ended at 100 for level 19 XD). I started off in the STR tree and then went down the STA tree to coagulate (not sure if it really makes a difference though). I then sank points into the wisdom tree ending up with 1 point in Ritual of Mind. It seems to work well, though I hadn't considered the 50 point cap pre level 70 when I was chosing points. 

Afterwards I started putting points into the prevention line with the thought that once I had canabalize, I would respec that line for canabalize instead.Just as you said soloing is a breeze. Healing isn't too difficult either. Having skimmed the forums here I was anticipating that solo group healing at any level to be virtually impossible. But, as long as I kept up the group ward, kept ancestral shroud on the tank and then cast it on whoever was taking extra-damage, and cleansed fast -- then everything was very routine healing wise (or mitigating wise...or...I dunno =P I "grew up" in mmo's with the thought that mitigating (aka shielding) was preventive healing...read people last night saying that shaman don't heal they just ward 9.9). Of course on occassions when the group rushed into a named when I had virtually no power or when they made made massive sized pulls then it was a bit more tricky if not impossible. But XD I had only healed one group and hopefully more practice and it'll get easier and easier. Also as people play their own classes more in groups one can only hope they'll begin to remember to watch others power bars too. =P

Soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #12
Nulgara
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Prophecy of Runes

Loremaster

one thing i woudl suggest to you if you are having power issues in groups.. you really shoudlnt be. you have the tools to nearly out self-regen a necro when it comes to power. i woudl suggest ditching the stamina line for now if your a bit short on points and fill out your cannabalize line in your defiler tree. not only will cannabilize save your group a gillion times when your fighting power draining mobs but your power leech aa's are in this line as well. cannabilize shoudl keep you powered up quite well in the lower levels, then once you get to 52 and get your power leech it will already be aa'd up at that point you become frikin unstoppable.  keep your leech on the mob at ALL TIMES. cant stress that enough.

using a combination of the leech and canni i have maintained 50%+ power through the entire duration of a 20 minute raid fight when we were short folks and i was by myself . its that awesome.

as far as leveling a defiler, my defiler was made at the request of my guild cause we lacked the class for some reason, so i speak from recent leveling up experience.. I quite seriosuly have 0 clue why people think its a hard or slow class to level. myself and another guildmate created new mains at the same time and i made 90 2 weeks before he did.. hes a ranger.

my own personal thoughts .. it was easier to level my defiler then it was to level my necro. my defiler never died until i started raiding with him. just maek sure you carefully select your aa's as you level. dont get a whole bunch of stuff thats only gonna be beneficial in a grouping set up cause chances are youll spend far more time solo when your leveling just due to the age of the game. be SELF-CENTERED as you level up. be STINGY. increase your personal power first then start increasing group stuff. youll still have no problem keeping a group up as you level unless you get into the "cool kids" group that think they are gods and pull enitre rooms at lvl 40 when pretty much every class sucks until about 55 these days heh.

the combination of being nearly impossible to kill, your debuffs, your slow steady consistent  dmg. you will level faster then most if you take teh time to learn what every spell does as you get them. never getting xp debt is a big advantage the defiler has if you very specifically select your first 60 or so aa's

its a fun class that can do a lot of different things all at once. and on top of that you are THE HEALER, not a healer ,, THE. hehe good luck to you new defilers, look forward to seeing some new purple clouds running by me in the future SMILEY

Maahes - SK

Seyn - Monk

Nulgara - Necromancer

Ashys - Defiler

Lorrn - Warlock
Nulgara is offline   Reply With Quote