EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Priest's Sanctum > Defiler
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
Yezra
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Outriders of Kelethin

Loremaster

I've heard it used to be defilers were one of the worst soloing classes in the game, but with the advent of SF they're not nearly as bad.

So is this true? Or is leveling up as a mystic and then betraying to defiler still a better way to get your levels in?

Yezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Greggthegrmreapr

Loremaster

It became a bit easier to level a defiler when Bane Warding was useful, but it has again been nerfed.  It still helps, but not nearly as much as it used to. 

I recently just took Denna back to mystic after a few years of defiler, because it just lost the fun aspect of the class lately.

Greggthegrmreapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
Yezra
Guild: Outriders of Kelethin

Loremaster

Aw, bummer. Thanks for letting the reply, though.

Yezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Laenai
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

They're still pretty dang slow, but the bane warding stuff DOES still help...even if it has been nerfed. I still pull multiple mobs and blow them away and even with some red adornment gear, I slap on my 3 piece WoEs armor when I go out questing.

As long as you're not trying to solo a heroic zone, you should be okay SMILEY

Old 06-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Obadiah

Loremaster

Leveling as a Mystic is still better. Either way you'll want to do enough TSO instances or WOE to get Bane Warding of some level because without it soloing is absolutely intolerable.

I can't play mine anymore. Bane Warding was too nice and now playing with less than half of what it used to be is like ... well ... playing with less than half of what it used to be.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:42 AM   #6
Tehom

Loremaster

Yeah, it's pretty awful when you're badly geared, though crit consolidation helps offset that a bit. I think bane warding is pretty marginal now, so I'm not sure if I'd recommend to even bother getting it.

Tehom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
Iacon
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Vigilance

Loremaster

Tribal Rage and Spiritual Leadership from the Shaman AA tree also help considerably. All you have to do is wail on your enemy (or get wailed on) and wards will proc on you and your group.

Iacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
Sedenten

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Tribal Rage and Spiritual Leadership from the Shaman AA tree also help considerably. All you have to do is wail on your enemy (or get wailed on) and wards will proc on you and your group.

I figured I would comment on this quoted portion so that newer players don't get too confused--Spiritual Leadership is 81+ only, so it won't help you when leveling up to 80.  It's still an amazing line that every shaman should have once they hit that level range, though.  Tribal Rage is still a viable option, though!

Compared to every other class of the same level and gear, defilers are going to be slow soloers.  Templars might be right on par with them, but by default we're just not built for fast killing.  

Sedenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:49 AM   #9
DwarvesR

General

I've recently returned to playing my defiler.  I'd stopped becuz, as has been noted, dps is pretty low and thus fights seem to take a long time.

I've gone from level 59 and 52 AA's to level 64 and 75 AA's in just a couple of days.  I've got my AA slider set at 33% and still feel like I'm leveling decently quickly.  Most fights vs solo mobs (even orange ones) take less than the duration of Atrophy (36 seconds) and I can kill orange ^ named as well, though admittedly anything with an ^ on it tends to take closer to a minute.

It's not "fast" but since I am a launch day vet and can recall when ALL fights took 30+ seconds, it doesn't seem like that big a deal to me.

I've looked here and at some fiery place for AA specs for dps, and have actually gone with a suggested spec that isn't max dps, but has incredible survivabilty.  It doesn't feel slower than a "max dps" build, but I'm more often finishing fights at or near full health and power and usually without having needed to cast a ward on myself, so while the fights are longer, the downtime between them is non-existent.

All in all, it does feel a bit slow, but not "painfully" so, IMO.

Jonna - 78 Inquisitor, Keodan - 77 Fury, Elynna - 90 Coercer, Clarisse - 90 ShadowKnight, Gotter - 90 Warlock, Kyeda - 66 Necromancer, Spirrita - 66 Defiler, Darlana - 75 Dirge, Meylota - 54 Warden, Guuk - 60 Monk, Briarra - 55 Brigand, Dactylus - 51 Mystic
DwarvesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
haneef

Guardian

I am soloing as a defiler with my AA slider on 50%, and it seems to be just about right as I am noe at Lv50 with 90AA.

I admit that I am enjoying soloing and questing all the zones as I go, and I am in no great hurry to "raid" just yet

haneef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #11
Stalleni
Guild: Threads of Fate

Guardian

I've been leveling up a defiler. It's far from as bad as people say.

Just keep all your damage spells at expert/master, get the 10% spell damage from the int tree, go down the cannibalize tree, and litany of combat and you will have little-to-no trouble soloing at all.

Stalleni is offline   Reply With Quote