EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Support Forums > Tech Area > Forum Help and Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
Allora

Lord

Is this broken for me, broken for everyone, or am I just missing something on how to use it? No options to search other than board and category, and when I get my results no way to sort them at all. At least the old ones I could sort by date so I could see the the most recent. Now I have to go through 7 pages of results that are in completely random order and hope I can find a recent one.

Please, please, someone tell me that I'm just not seeing something somewhere.

Allora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Oakleafe

Loremaster

The search is less useful than it was in the previous forums, but I don't think they are broken.  I think they are just severely limiting, bordering on the worthless.  You are getting the same search as everyone else, and there are an ever growing number of posts complaining about them. So, you are not alone. By the way, regarding "No options to search other than board and category", what other selections would you want?  Maybe if you post suggestions they may (living in hope!) get taken up.

"Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do. Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do."
Oakleafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
Fringe

Loremaster

Any of the normal Advanced Search options would be nice. The old board had several so adding in a couple wouldn't hurt. Examples off the top of my head:

Search by Keyword in Thread, Title or both

Search by User Name for either Posts or Threads Started by

Find Threads with certain number of Replies

Find Posts from particular Date & Newerr / Older

Show Results as Threads or Posts

Results per Page option

Allow for the Saving / Resetting of our prefered search options

Old 02-18-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
pedigr

General

the search function isnt there, its crap. In the history on all forums and all forum code, none have a seach function this bad. the FIRST thing that should be done to the forums, is searching needs to be fixed "Im going to go to have to ask you to come in this weekend, mmmmkkkkkk" - waiting for a mod to close so that a coder doesnt see it.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
Nekroghoul

Loremaster

Wow. The forum's search feature has been nerfed. Amazing.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Boadicca

Loremaster

I want to be able to sort my search results chronologically, with the newest posts at the top.  The search option as it is right now is useless to me.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
sshhhh

General

Beyond frustrating...

forums without a working search/sort quickly get filled with repetitive, unorganized, and useless thoughts.

When I did my last search I really wasn't too intersted in posts from 2005...

PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s.  I also can't use firefox on these "new" forums.  Will not let me log in.

An Error Has Occurred

Please use your browser's back button and try again. Reason: could not insert collection rows: [net.jforum.entities.User.groups#38469]

Please fix that as well...

sshhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
Xrispat

Loremaster

I noticed a Dev closed the previous thread about search functionality...citing there were already lots of posts about search functionality.  I tried to find the posts about search that the dev might be referring to.  Ironically searching for keywords search function in forum yielded 17,000 results which were unsortable and I could not find them. 

The sort by date function is a serious oversight and needs to be addressed soon as it makes search near useless.

Xrispat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:13 AM   #9
Phoxtrot

Loremaster

Aye, make this a priority please !
Phoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:34 PM   #10
Smashkilleat

Guardian

/signed on to Fringe's suggestions above.
Smashkilleat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #11
Nink

Loremaster

Agree that the new search engine is totally useless. I suggest they let Google index the forums so at least we could use that instead to find relevent information

("You infernal machine! Give me a beverage or give me my money back!")
Nink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:49 AM   #12
Kasandria

Loremaster

We really need to be able to either order searches by date or restrict searches by date or both.  Not having this functionality diminishes the usefulness of search to zero and the forums themselves to near zero.  This game changes more than a five month old's diapers.  Not being able to filter the old posts out is like letting those diapers accumulate then trying to poke through them... shudders
Kasandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #13
SilkenKidden

Loremaster

Fringe wrote:

Any of the normal Advanced Search options would be nice. The old board had several so adding in a couple wouldn't hurt. Examples off the top of my head:

Search by Keyword in Thread, Title or both

Search by User Name for either Posts or Threads Started by

Find Threads with certain number of Replies

Find Posts from particular Date & Newerr / Older

Show Results as Threads or Posts

Results per Page option

Allow for the Saving / Resetting of our prefered search options

Hear ye, hear ye.   Great list of suggestions.  But you know that SOE will not adopt them.  The only changes they seem to make are backwards compatible.  Instead of using Word, we get Notepad.  Next thing you know, a P3 will be a requirement for accessing these forums.  You'll have to have the speediest, most high end computer out there to play the game, but you'll have to switch to a 1980s model to post on the forums. 
SilkenKidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #14
Maroger

Loremaster

You can't even search on author anymore. Tnis is a useless search function. It organizes threads alphabetically by forum instead of puting the most recent first.

Not sure how the design for this function passed the Smell test -- as it sure stinks like a rotten egg.

Maroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:27 AM   #15
Zenith

General

I would love to be able to sort by date posted...
Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #16
PantherXX

Loremaster

Just adding my 2c worth.  The search is virtually useless without a sort by date.  Given the number of updates this game has seen, getting a result from 2004 is pretty pointless.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #17
Denon

Loremaster

Yep serching is really bad now - I really dont care how 'Pretty' a forum is, its only as good as its functionality.

The old forum was much more functional !

----------------------- [ Permafrost Server] -----------------
Thomm ... Qeynos 92/320 Troubador, 92 Carpenter, T9 (450) Transmuter
Denon ..... Qeynos 90/320 Warden, 90 Tailor
Draziw ..... Freeport 92/320 Wizard, 90 Sage
Jacuzzi .... Freeport 92/320 Necromancer, 90 Woodworker
Steab ...... Qeynos 92/320 Guardian, 90 Armorer, T9 (450) Tinker
----------------------------------------------------------------

.....(-.-).....

Denon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #18
Zadera

Loremaster

For crying out loud you guys the first negative feedback you have had on this thread was on 2/16 regarding how hard the new search engine is to use. It is not 2/28 and you still have done nothing to even address this problem. We should expect no difference since our cries for help on the guild sites fell on deaf ears and we all took our guilds to other servers.

It is too bad there is no general rant so we can also issue our complaints about issues with /petitions being addressed outside of game so we never get to talk to a CS person and other issues that have driven so many players to other MMORPGs.

All I am saying is address our issues. It is what we all pay you to do whether it is $15 or $28 a month.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #19
Kurindor_Mythecnea

Loremaster

HOLY CRAP -- SELIRI OF NAGAFEN SUPPORTS THIS THREAD IN ENTIRETY!!!!!!!!!! SMILEY SMILEY

Kurindor_Mythecnea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:06 AM   #20
Xagoth

Loremaster

/signed

Not being able to sort by date is beyond unacceptable.

Example:

Did a search for "lore legend" just to see if anyone had found where the new books were.

13,586 results.

Now how in the world am I supposed to find the most recent posts on that subject? Look through 1000 pages, scanning the dates?

Xagoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:54 AM   #21
Phoxtrot

Loremaster

Any ETA on search function improvment?
Phoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:43 PM   #22
Turtle

Loremaster

/sign

I agree we at least need to be able to sort the search, by latest post...chronological order....whatever you want to call it.  There doesn't seem to be any order in what the search function returns to you.  With an ever growing and changing game this is a must!  A lot has changed since say....2005 and everything the search returns is mixed up and all over the place.  I don't want to look through pages and pages of post listings to try and find a recent one.

Please Fix, Thanks!

Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #23
Tstorm

Tester

I'm not sure I follow some of the requests here.  I think some of what some of you are asking for is there.If you go to the Search page, you can:
  • Search chronologically (by date), by changing the "Order by" from "Relevance" to "Post Date"
  • Search posts within a given time range (7 days, 14 days, etc.) with the "Search Posts Within:" option
I think what you're asking for is there, you just need to give it a try and not use the defaults.  As for some of the older posts in this thread, some of this functionality was added after we switched to this forum software.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:50 PM   #24
Turtle

Loremaster

Tstorm wrote:
I'm not sure I follow some of the requests here.  I think some of what some of you are asking for is there.If you go to the Search page, you can:
  • Search chronologically (by date), by changing the "Order by" from "Relevance" to "Post Date"
  • Search posts within a given time range (7 days, 14 days, etc.) with the "Search Posts Within:" option
I think what you're asking for is there, you just need to give it a try and not use the defaults.  As for some of the older posts in this thread, some of this functionality was added after we switched to this forum software.

Well thank you very much for posting this...honestly I never even noticed the search in the top left corner I always used the type in search within the threads located near the top right.

Thanks!

Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:22 AM   #25
Tstorm

Tester

Turtle wrote:
Tstorm wrote:

Well thank you very much for posting this...honestly I never even noticed the search in the top left corner I always used the type in search within the threads located near the top right.

Thanks!

My pleasure.  I do think there are some usability issues with the current implementation and your initial post is a clear indication that some things could probably be improved.Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing reverse sorted by date be the default.  Barring that, adding a clickable "advanced search" link near the search box seems to be a fairly common way of letting users know there is a basic, then advanced search features.The other thing I liked from the Lithium forums was in the search results was the ability to actually click on the date column which would effectively re-run the search sorted by date (or flip the order if it was already being sorted by date).The search functionality is all in there, so it is difficult to complain but it could probably be made a bit more friendly.