EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
7foggynites

Lord

I read somewhere that resists on higher level items were somehow phased out or removed?? Maybe the comment was referencing how resists didn't matter or that resists weren't on gear, not sure.

Maybe they were jsut removed from armor but put on jewelry instead?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Mermut

Loremaster

Jewelery has the resists at higher level.. and resists are VERY important at higher levels.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
7foggynites

Lord

Mermut wrote:

Jewelery has the resists at higher level.. and resists are VERY important at higher levels.

Why was it removed from armor? What's the purpose?

How does it change the game?

It made me worry that resists on gear/items were being removed to simplify the game.

Doesn't need to be so straightforward. It's the variation that makes gearing fun.

In EQ1 they had this thing where haste would be in one particular slot and direct spell damage bonuses in another (like say the leg slot for example) and so on. I really hated that system because it couldn't be customized and felt linear.

Old armor of course will still have resists, right?

Why're they always changing things? Do they realize the questions these changes create?

My guess is they put bonuses in certain slots to prevent potential item conflicts. For example, if you have a 40% haste shoulder item and you later loot a 44% haste neck item but can't use it because your current neck item has your full healing bonus, ensuring that haste items will ALWAYS be shoulder items prevents this kind of conflict from occuring. So if you loot a shoulder item with a higher haste rating than what you have presently, it will almost always replace it, unless there're other bonus/stat conflicts. But even other stat/bonus conflicts can be resolved in a similar way.

(although there might be cases where 4% extra haste is worth losing your healing bonus... for example, if you're a part-time healer then you might use the 44% haste neck when dpsing or something)

If that's close to the truth... the problem is that everything ends up being linear - with no variations. Everything becomes predictable and cookie cutter. It's convenient and simple, but doesn't cause you to make choices.

A system where we can reforge gear EFFECTIVELY could work and still have us making choices. But if eliminating choices is the goal of a game then they'll judge this idea a waste of time and money. Oh well.

I hope I'm just blowing smoke and talking out the wrong place. I really do.

But in an era where everybody wants to win now and irregardless of their choices... it's iffy.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
gatrm

Loremaster

Wow, okay- foggy your second post there kinda started rambling.  You won't have an issue with losing resists on armor.  The resist amounts on jewelry slots are so high, that you will have plenty of resists.

The main option you no longer have is of opting for jewelry piece A, which has a lot of dps stats and no resists vs jewelry piece B which has a lot of resists and no dps stats.  TBH,  you haven't had that option for a while anyway.  All the jewelry at current max level (92) has a lot of resists and a lot of dps stats. 

There is more choice in gear and more ability to customize gear than there was in DoV1.  In DoV1, everything was cookie cutter, there was really only one way to go for each class and the only thing that differed from player to player was the quality of gear they had.  In Dov1, the gear was very linear.  You will find much more in the way of choices in the current gear. 

As far as the rambling goes....stats are not relegated to certain spots on your armor, so I'm not sure where you are going with that.  Long time ago, you went with cloak or belt for haste, but no more...In fact haste has pretty much been replaced by attack speed, which does the same thing, but stacks. 

So in effect, now if you have shoulders with 40 attack speed and a neck with 44 attack speed, you'd have 84 attack speed, so have fun trying to customize your gear.  You can even wear gear again which is not specifically designed for your class, which I like.

gatrm is offline   Reply With Quote