EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Zones and Population
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Vinyard
Server: Antonia Bayle

Loremaster

We understand they are dragons, and they do wing buffet.

But it's overdone. It's annoying. It's not fun. If DoV part 2 is supposed to be all about dragons, how about just make the named and SOME trash do knockbacks?

Just because its trash, doesn't mean it has to be an annoyance.

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
slippery

Loremaster

It seems like we go through this over and over again. Knockbacks that knock you across the zone are frustrating, they don't make you want to play the game. Because all you do is sit there frustrated because you run around unable to do anything, you spend the whole fight running back. Uncurable stuns and stifles are the same. It's like oh hey look now I can stand here and mash buttons on my keyboard doing nothing while everyone dies. How awesome. I'm glad I can do nothing, I think I'll just not come back to this zone. It's been done over and over and over, and players hate the hell out of it every time. It always ends up getting changed, because people just don't go to the zones. No SK or Templar for Death March/Sanctuary and life really sucks. It's about the least enjoyable experience ever.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Vinyard

Loremaster

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with having trash that just...attacks you. It's trash. It's not meant to be super hard, just something to kill so you don't go from boss to boss.

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Kinya
Server: Splitpaw
Guild: Runnyeye Raiding Club

Fansite Staff

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with having trash that just...attacks you. It's trash. It's not meant to be super hard, just something to kill so you don't go from boss to boss.

So if trash would be nerfed, then trash mobs shouldn't drop fabled stuff at all imo, as fabled drop rate from trash is just crazy atm. Not to mention that many of those drops are better than previous HM raid zones drops, which is dissapointing :/

Most names are simply "tank and spank" so at least trash mobs do something more challenging... Honestly I like trash mobs as they are SMILEY

http://babagra.pl - Polish Everquest 2 Fansite

Kinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Rendoir

Loremaster

Leave everything they do, and ADD more please. It's painfully easy, no way is this going to keep players involved until the next content update.

Rendoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Talathion
Guild: Cladire Mortii

Loremaster

I love the knockbacks, I hate the disarms.

Talathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #7
Malleria

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

So if trash would be nerfed, then trash mobs shouldn't drop fabled stuff at all imo, as fabled drop rate from trash is just crazy atm. Not to mention that many of those drops are better than previous HM raid zones drops, which is dissapointing :/

Can pretty much guarantee this will happen anyway. SOE are the masters of bait and switch, especially at expansion launches.

Malleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:38 AM   #8
wullailhuit

Loremaster

It's the only thing that they actually do so leave it alone or the may add something even worse.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
Tekadeo

Loremaster

I agree for once that they should leave them alone.  The zone is easy as cake and has amazing rewards.  The knockbacks are annoying, so are the disarms, but it's nothing a halfway decent player can't overcome.  It takes the monotony of the zone away a little bit imo.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
Detor

Loremaster

Malleria wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Can pretty much guarantee this will happen anyway. SOE are the masters of bait and switch, especially at expansion launches.

Well, depending on your view that's either to sell more copies of an expansion, or it's because they overestimated something and are correcting it to be more in line with what they want.

In either way - this was a game addon, not an expansion, and would not be subject to the conspiracy theory since it was given freely to anybody with Velious (and if you didn't have velious by now I doubt this suddenly made you run out and buy it).

Detor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
Malleria

Loremaster

Detor wrote:

Malleria wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Well, depending on your view that's either to sell more copies of an expansion, or it's because they overestimated something and are correcting it to be more in line with what they want.

In either way - this was a game addon, not an expansion, and would not be subject to the conspiracy theory since it was given freely to anybody with Velious (and if you didn't have velious by now I doubt this suddenly made you run out and buy it).

Parts also required the purchase of AoD, which a lot of people avoided. Not to mention the word of mouth effect of 'omg this new stuff is so great, come back and play!' to garner more subs. They're in it for money, you can bet they make it as appealing as possible early on regardless of balance or longevity.

Malleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:00 AM   #12
Wurm

Loremaster

Before we get too far off topic...

The knock-backs are OK and can be positioned for (except the golem with the balls of wind adds, he's just plain annoying) but the stuns and stifles are way over done and need a nerf.

Nothing makes people want to run zones more than hearing from the healer "I can't cast!" over and over turning every trash encounter a life or death fight for no reason at all.

I don't mind having to use every trick in the book to survive a named encounter, but having to do it for every single pull in a zone gets old fast.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #13
Luhai

Loremaster

I agree.

I don't mind the KBs, the stifles are a bit over the top, tho. Pulling an encounter only to be stifled most of the fight makes tanking pretty boring.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #14
XAvengerX

Loremaster

Haven't tried this zone yet on my Guardian, however in my opinion ... knockbacks are at least counterable if you know where to stand, it's the incurable stifle AOEs that really tick me off.

Also mobs like the Duhjalm sentinels/watchers/enforcers in Contested Kael Drakkel that spam their 360 uncurable stifle power drain AOEs (Double Heat Butt) every 10-15 seconds and their casting is uninteruptable ... I mean really?

I just hope that every trash mob in Skyshrine doesn't have these.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
Katz

Loremaster

I know its weird but I love the knockbacks.   The stifles I could live without.

One of the world events a long time ago had voidbeasts that would throw you wayyyyyyy up in the air and back.  I loved those.  Was exciting when you landed in the middle of a bunch of mobs.   hehe

*wheeeeeeeeeeeeee, splat*

Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #16
gatrm

Loremaster

While all that stuff you guys have mentioned gets annoying, you haven't touched on what for me is by far the most annoying part of it, and that is every bit of litter that lies around the hallways, preventing los when dps starts casting too soon and gets aggro on the pull.  I mean come on, I cannot see over a kneehigh piece of refuse....

And another thing.  The freaking mobs that are not attackable until they kill the noncom npc's are just annoying.  DPS seems to be programmed to start dpsing as the mobs are incoming, which was only minimally annoying in previous content, but in previous content, at least I was able to start before them.  Now, I am having to try to corral the stuff coming in from all directions, without a head start and it's a pita without hate gain/transfer to tank this stuff.  Granted, I don't really care if dps gets aggro when they start dpsing before I get the mob in position, but it does sometimes make the groups less efficient.

If it was just one or two of these annoyances, it would be fine.  But all of it thrown together is what makes me not want to tank.

gatrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #17
Arturoz
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Empire of the Shadow

Loremaster

ya those abilities the drakes have are a pita...  yes the curse that debuffs healing is a pita and yes the disarm is another pita..

THANK GOD!!!!   for a long time i have only subbed to keep my chars current for level and AA and whatever gear i get during that month thats gravy, finally some content that actually makes me work, makes me want to grind a zone to get the gear to make it easier.  heck makes me want to keep my subs active...

please leave the zones alone....  fix a mechanic bug but dont nerf the abilities..  making stuff easy mode so people can get in and get out quickly is what ruined this game for me.. eq2 used to have a sense of difficulty to it, its nice to have that feeling back in the game for non raid zones.

please no care bear in skyshrine!!

Arturoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #18
Mohee

Lord

finally... at least somewhat of a challenge in eq2.

please don't change this, trash mobs are fine as is.

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #19
yadlajoi

Loremaster

i remember the first time i wanted to punch my screen because of loldisarmyouredead or lolstundmgshield : Tunarian throne room. ever since the fun has been less and less allowed.
yadlajoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #20
SpineDoc

Loremaster

KBs and stifles have long been a staple of lazy programming, I'd much rather see creatively difficult fights.  Give me a situation where as a healer I have to decide between healing aoe spike damage on the group or keeping the tank up, I love difficulty like that.  But simply making someting difficult because I'm out of range isn't very creative or difficult to program.

Just to add why do devs give us abilities to break control effects, but half the situations they don't work.  I'm thinking of Sanctuary and Fervent Faith, I'm sure other classes have theirs as well.  Nothing is more frustrating than having your entire group have a control effect and you get excited knowing that you can save the day, but your ability to break the control effect doesn't work.  What sense does that make?

92 Templar (retired until they are fixed)

92 Coercer

92 Guardian

92 Wizard

92 Beastlord
SpineDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #21
MrWolfie

Loremaster

gatrm wrote:

While all that stuff you guys have mentioned gets annoying, you haven't touched on what for me is by far the most annoying part of it, and that is every bit of litter that lies around the hallways, preventing los when dps starts casting too soon and gets aggro on the pull.  I mean come on, I cannot see over a kneehigh piece of refuse....

And another thing.  The freaking mobs that are not attackable until they kill the noncom npc's are just annoying.  DPS seems to be programmed to start dpsing as the mobs are incoming, which was only minimally annoying in previous content, but in previous content, at least I was able to start before them.  Now, I am having to try to corral the stuff coming in from all directions, without a head start and it's a pita without hate gain/transfer to tank this stuff.  Granted, I don't really care if dps gets aggro when they start dpsing before I get the mob in position, but it does sometimes make the groups less efficient.

If it was just one or two of these annoyances, it would be fine.  But all of it thrown together is what makes me not want to tank.

I've only done the solo instances and I totally agree that the LOS issues from rubble on the ground is OTT. And that nuking an encounter to have it take some damage, turn non-attackable, do its little dance with some NPCs and then come at me 5 seconds later is truly annoying.

I do believe that these (solo instance) zones are quite UNFUN because of the knockbacks, stuns, line of sight issues and script delays.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #22
moonspell666

Loremaster

Love the new stuff, more knockbacks, if you cant handle it , go play Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

I honestly think alot of the new stuff is too easy........

Thanks Sony for making the game a little more fun again

moonspell666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #23
Sedenten

Loremaster

The only annoying part I find about the stifles is that they are uncureable.  I wound up countering that with some crappy stat immunity gear but I groan inwardly every time my immunity is not up and I get nailed with an incureable stifle or stun.  We had that in previous content, but in Skyshrine it is all over the place.  I don't really care much for the knockbacks, but they aren't near as annoying as having incureable control effects.

Sedenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #24
Jrel
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Blackstar Rising

Loremaster

I don't mind the stuns/stifles, but when they're uncureable, hit everyone, and last longer than 3 seconds, and allow other dets to stack on them, thus multiplying the chances of being killed while stun/stifled.  It is beyond annoying.

Jrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:57 AM   #25
Wurm

Loremaster

SpineDoc wrote:

Just to add why do devs give us abilities to break control effects, but half the situations they don't work.  I'm thinking of Sanctuary and Fervent Faith, I'm sure other classes have theirs as well.  Nothing is more frustrating than having your entire group have a control effect and you get excited knowing that you can save the day, but your ability to break the control effect doesn't work.  What sense does that make?

Like you said, lazy programming...

"Oh all our players have some ability to cure stifle, I know lets make it uncurabable and last a min each time it happens and all three mobs in the group can cast it and hehehe it can stack!"

Sounds how they decided to make it work in Skyshrine to me...

Old 04-30-2012, 04:00 AM   #26
SOE-MOD-02

Community Moderator

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=49996...post_id=5751517 Trolling is not permitted.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #27
clizzy2000

Loremaster

Uncurable stifle AOE's are stupid. I want to play the game, not watch everyone die cause no one can do anything. The knockbacks I really don't care. They annoying, but like others said, there is usually a way to counter the effects.

clizzy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:04 AM   #28
feldon30

Fansite Staff

moonspell666 wrote:

Love the new stuff, more knockbacks, if you cant handle it , go play Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

I honestly think alot of the new stuff is too easy........

Thanks Sony for making the game a little more fun again

EQ2 used to be about how you play your character. You seem to want it to be about how the SERVER drives your character while you stand there waiting for incurable stifles/disarms/stuns to wear off.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #29
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

At least make the stuns/stifles curable.  That would fix the annoyance factor for me.  There is so much debris and so many little nooks that knockbacks are easily negated.  Once you learn which trash does what, they are easy to prepare for.

Drake = knockback + stun

Droag = yellow circle of death

Golem = tank and spank

Until/if they nerf it, plan your pulls accordingly.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #30
Tyrus Dracofire

Loremaster

PLEASE tone down that knockbacks.

i was knocked clear into some barrels and pillar clusters that i cant jump out, i cant even use joust spell to get out.

only way i have to use is recall and run back to that zone.

i can understand some knockbacks, but some of those are extreme, those made my kick or shield bash look so lame in comparison. i usually try to find corners or flat wall behind me so i dont get caught in pillars/barrels clusters that i try so hard to avoid at all cost, that is time consuming by just struggling. that is not "entertainment" i see.

Tyrus Dracofire is offline   Reply With Quote