EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Spells, Abilities, and General Class Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
Nekroghoul

Loremaster
Nekroghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Neriak
Posts: 144
Default

Sorry to be asking what is probably a very noobish question, but I can't find the answer anywhere, and even fellow guildies don't seem to know.

So, these stats - Spell weapon DPS, Spell weapon multi attack, Spell weapon haste, ect; what do they refer to? Specifically, what does spell weapon refer to and how is it different from a regular weapon (if at all)?

Thanks SMILEY

__________________
The good ones are those who are content to dream what the wicked actually practice.
Nekroghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
mdell

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 53
Default

Spell Weapon autoattack was put it midway through DOV and they put in wands for the ranged slot for mages and preists.  They put these in because mages were complaining about the added procs that melee got from autoattack.  Be careful what you wish for!!!

But anyway the stuff you mention helps the little autoattack be slightly more(dps), double, or faster(haste).

mdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
feldon30

Fansite Staff
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,424
Default

http://eq2wire.com/2011/11/10/what-...could-cost-you/

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
SpineDoc

Loremaster
SpineDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 651
Default

feldon30 wrote:

http://eq2wire.com/2011/11/10/what-...could-cost-you/

Nice write up Feldon.  It's a shame, this is another one of the devs keystone kops "features" which ends up being incredibly bad in implementation but they stubbornly refuse to fix it.  For 99.9% of applications you are better off not equipping a spell wand and ignoring this completely idiotic feature.

__________________
92 Inquisitor

92 Templar (retired until they are fixed)

92 Coercer

92 Guardian

92 Wizard

92 Beastlord
SpineDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Zmobie

Loremaster
Zmobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 271
Default

SpineDoc wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

http://eq2wire.com/2011/11/10/what-...could-cost-you/

Nice write up Feldon.  It's a shame, this is another one of the devs keystone kops "features" which ends up being incredibly bad in implementation but they stubbornly refuse to fix it.  For 99.9% of applications you are better off not equipping a spell wand and ignoring this completely idiotic feature.

I don't think that is true. I could be wrong, but seems to me that if you are a ranged spell DPS class, who isn't up there "swinging their stick" in melee range, that using a spell ranged weapon is just going to give you some free DPS.

The problem is specific, as far as I can tell, to those of us who , due to class design or AA choice, are not only spell DPS, but also rely on being in the thick of things, "swinging our stick".  As a coercer who is speced STR line for melee, it is a horrible, horrible option. For a warlock, standing at max range, not so bad.

The problem is that it's quickly becoming non-optional, really. Nearly all the new mage/preist gear has spell-ranged stats on it. Those stats eat up the "budget" of the item. I've still not seen a non-focus caster ranged-slot item in Skyshrine, though I am sure there is at least 1. 

But without the ability to turn off spell-auto, I'm forced to use old, outdated gear in that slot, and hope that I can reforge the spell-weapon stats into something vaguely useful... and forced to have a technically superior, but useless to me, spell-weapon sit in my bags in hope they one day fix this.

It's been said before, and should be said everytime there is a chance they will hear it: doing itemization by script creates a TON of problems that have to be fixed by hand.

--Nibs

Zmobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Troy

Loremaster
Troy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 100
Default

[email protected] wrote:

SpineDoc wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

http://eq2wire.com/2011/11/10/what-...could-cost-you/

Nice write up Feldon.  It's a shame, this is another one of the devs keystone kops "features" which ends up being incredibly bad in implementation but they stubbornly refuse to fix it.  For 99.9% of applications you are better off not equipping a spell wand and ignoring this completely idiotic feature.

I don't think that is true. I could be wrong, but seems to me that if you are a ranged spell DPS class, who isn't up there "swinging their stick" in melee range, that using a spell ranged weapon is just going to give you some free DPS.

The problem is specific, as far as I can tell, to those of us who , due to class design or AA choice, are not only spell DPS, but also rely on being in the thick of things, "swinging our stick".  As a coercer who is speced STR line for melee, it is a horrible, horrible option. For a warlock, standing at max range, not so bad.

The problem is that it's quickly becoming non-optional, really. Nearly all the new mage/preist gear has spell-ranged stats on it. Those stats eat up the "budget" of the item. I've still not seen a non-focus caster ranged-slot item in Skyshrine, though I am sure there is at least 1. 

But without the ability to turn off spell-auto, I'm forced to use old, outdated gear in that slot, and hope that I can reforge the spell-weapon stats into something vaguely useful... and forced to have a technically superior, but useless to me, spell-weapon sit in my bags in hope they one day fix this.

It's been said before, and should be said everytime there is a chance they will hear it: doing itemization by script creates a TON of problems that have to be fixed by hand.

--Nibs

Reforging is the key!

Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
Lempo

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,179
Default

Troy wrote:

Reforging is the key!

Yeah well you can not reforge every stat, and when the script puts a completely useless 1.5% on a somewhat useful stat then you are barred from reforging any of the other stats on that item into a useable amount.

Reforging was somewhat useful in DoV pt1 but in pt2 they went way overboard, (they being fail itemization script rev 2c or whatever) and put some of most every stat on almost all items nullifying the ability to use reforging for the most part.

__________________
All actions have consequences and repercussions.



Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
Zmobie

Loremaster
Zmobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 271
Default

Troy wrote:

Reforging is the key!

Reforging won't make a spell weapon turn on spell autoattack any time you cast a spell.

So, it's a key for another lock, not for the one I want to open.

--Nibs

Zmobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
Aneova
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Masters of the Universe
Rank: Raider

Loremaster
Aneova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,027
Default

Be nice if priests and mages actually had a "Ranged" skill like Scouts and Fighters.

__________________
http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=438341

Originally Posted by Smed: I've been a regular lurker on this site for a while but I wanted to step in here and dispel something that's just plain not true - I don't have my name highlighted here, but anyone that doubts it's me can email me at [email protected] and I'll happily reply. We aren't going to be allowing RMT in any way, shape or form on the non-exchange enabled EQ II servers. Period. End of statement. In any event, I wanted to stop in and at least set the record straight - you aren't going to be seeing RMT allowed on the non-exchange enabled servers.

John Smedley President, Sony Online Entertainment
Aneova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Mermut

Loremaster
Mermut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 852
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Be nice if priests and mages actually had a "Ranged" skill like Scouts and Fighters.

I'd be even happier if they'd simiply make some nice symbol items rather then having 99% of them be focus items and the 1% of symbol items be vastly inferior SMILEY

__________________
I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, But not hang it by the neck until dead.
Mermut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
Aneova
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Masters of the Universe
Rank: Raider

Loremaster
Aneova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,027
Default

OOOO or how bout that Wonderfull Spell Weapon DPS mod that actually does something. As of my last look, it gives 0% to auto attack damage at 101.1 in that stat.

__________________
http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=438341

Originally Posted by Smed: I've been a regular lurker on this site for a while but I wanted to step in here and dispel something that's just plain not true - I don't have my name highlighted here, but anyone that doubts it's me can email me at [email protected] and I'll happily reply. We aren't going to be allowing RMT in any way, shape or form on the non-exchange enabled EQ II servers. Period. End of statement. In any event, I wanted to stop in and at least set the record straight - you aren't going to be seeing RMT allowed on the non-exchange enabled servers.

John Smedley President, Sony Online Entertainment
Aneova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #12
feldon30

Fansite Staff
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,424
Default

[email protected] wrote:

OOOO or how bout that Wonderfull Spell Weapon DPS mod that actually does something. As of my last look, it gives 0% to auto attack damage at 101.1 in that stat.

Display bug methinks.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
arthemis1er

Lord
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 118
Default

[email protected] wrote:

The problem is that it's quickly becoming non-optional, really. Nearly all the new mage/preist gear has spell-ranged stats on it. Those stats eat up the "budget" of the item. I've still not seen a non-focus caster ranged-slot item in Skyshrine, though I am sure there is at least 1. 

There is one (at least one), i have it

http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/565179166 (hi Feldon)

arthemis1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
gatrm

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 545
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Be nice if priests and mages actually had a "Ranged" skill like Scouts and Fighters.

That wouldn't change anything.  You can still use the bow icon to toggle your ranged attack, or keep the melee autoattack on your hotbar and manually toggle melee back on. 

That doesn't solve the problem though which is if you are using a wand and cast a hostile spell, it turns on your ranged autoattack automatically.  It's basically the same thing rangers have dealt with since launch except in reverse.  Since they haven't fixed it for rangers, I doubt it'll be fixed for priests and mages. 

What would be nice is if you could set a mode for yourself like you can set for pets.  Instead of using /petrange or /petmelee you could use /range or  /melee to set yourself in ranged or melee mode.  Then depending on what mode you are in, you will automatically use the autoattack type corresponding to it.

gatrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #15
Aneova
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Masters of the Universe
Rank: Raider

Loremaster
Aneova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,027
Default

gatrm wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Be nice if priests and mages actually had a "Ranged" skill like Scouts and Fighters.

That wouldn't change anything.  You can still use the bow icon to toggle your ranged attack, or keep the melee autoattack on your hotbar and manually toggle melee back on. 

That doesn't solve the problem though which is if you are using a wand and cast a hostile spell, it turns on your ranged autoattack automatically.  It's basically the same thing rangers have dealt with since launch except in reverse.  Since they haven't fixed it for rangers, I doubt it'll be fixed for priests and mages. 

What would be nice is if you could set a mode for yourself like you can set for pets.  Instead of using /petrange or /petmelee you could use /range or  /melee to set yourself in ranged or melee mode.  Then depending on what mode you are in, you will automatically use the autoattack type corresponding to it.

You miss understand, I don't mean the Ranged button to turn it on and off, I mean the actual Ranged Skill, like Crushing or Slashing or Disruption, so that we would recieve a similar benefit as those that have such a skill.

__________________
http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=438341

Originally Posted by Smed: I've been a regular lurker on this site for a while but I wanted to step in here and dispel something that's just plain not true - I don't have my name highlighted here, but anyone that doubts it's me can email me at [email protected] and I'll happily reply. We aren't going to be allowing RMT in any way, shape or form on the non-exchange enabled EQ II servers. Period. End of statement. In any event, I wanted to stop in and at least set the record straight - you aren't going to be seeing RMT allowed on the non-exchange enabled servers.

John Smedley President, Sony Online Entertainment
Aneova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #16
gatrm

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 545
Default

[email protected] wrote:

gatrm wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Be nice if priests and mages actually had a "Ranged" skill like Scouts and Fighters.

That wouldn't change anything.  You can still use the bow icon to toggle your ranged attack, or keep the melee autoattack on your hotbar and manually toggle melee back on. 

That doesn't solve the problem though which is if you are using a wand and cast a hostile spell, it turns on your ranged autoattack automatically.  It's basically the same thing rangers have dealt with since launch except in reverse.  Since they haven't fixed it for rangers, I doubt it'll be fixed for priests and mages. 

What would be nice is if you could set a mode for yourself like you can set for pets.  Instead of using /petrange or /petmelee you could use /range or  /melee to set yourself in ranged or melee mode.  Then depending on what mode you are in, you will automatically use the autoattack type corresponding to it.

You miss understand, I don't mean the Ranged button to turn it on and off, I mean the actual Ranged Skill, like Crushing or Slashing or Disruption, so that we would recieve a similar benefit as those that have such a skill.

No.  I understood perfectly.  I simply disagreed, and wasn't very clear.  It looks like I even skipped a sentence I intended to put in there. 

The ranged skill, much like the other skills you mention affect your chance to hit with that type of attack.  Only way after you surpass the cap in that skill does it affect the actual damage done on the mob, and by a very miniscule amount.  (Feel free to add a lot of very's in there).  Besides, the ranged attack of wands for mages and priests should be using the disruption skill, since it is still spell damage.  Having the ranged ability would not help you. 

Now if for some reason it is not using disruption, then certainly you should ask that it use disruption.  But unless the developers change the way spell auto works, and make it useful (more like regular autoattack-even merging them to work the way melee/range autoattack work), then only those very few players who always stand out of melee range and never use melee autoattack will ever see any benefit to it.

gatrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:33 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.