EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-20-2005, 11:52 PM   #811
SirCopenhag

I finally got started in World of Warcraft last night...

I am having so much fun...it is what a game should provide ..."Fun Factor"
Not ...."Employment of Real Life Travesties Factor"

On a scale of 1-10 EQ2's Fun Factor is about 3 maybe...  WoW's Fun Factor is right at 9.

Granted EQ2 has a better UI, Better Looking Graphics, and Is somewhat more dynamic (which is somewhat of an understatement)

World of Warcraft's Graphics Are on a different scale ...Yes they do look a little cartoony (if that is what you want to call it) ...but, They look everybit as nice as Everquest's graphics do ...given the path they took with thier art.  World of Warcraft is alot more user friendly and easier to get into.   There is no XP debit, Crafting is alot easier...not to mention less expansive now...lol.   And, People are alot more friendly and helpful in the game...then that which are in EQ.   There are a lot of Headstrong Gamers in EQ ...Which is excatly what EQ caters to ...Those headstrong, Hardcore Gamers.   EQ is thier game.

And you know what?   I am gonna let them have it.   Thats, right just have at it.   I am not gonna be here to Worry you anymore.

I am pretty happy with the Gaming Experiance that I am already getting out of World of Warcraft. 

Did I mention that World of Warcraft has PvP too?   Yep...that is another added bonus that WoW has over EQ2.

I would really have loved to play EQ2 and enjoy it like I am WoW now.   With all the gamers...But this game was not desgined to hook a player like me.   It is designed to hook the already Fanboiz of EQ to keep them around.   That is the crowd sony wants, that is the crowd they get.

EQ2 probably will not die...Simply because the few thousand players that are gonna wind up playing it have like 15 accounts...that they play at the same time.   

What T's me off the most about Sony is that I have gave them a good chunck of money hoping to get a good gaming experiance in return.   But what I got in return is crap really...when you stop and think about it.  

Heck if I want a pretty sparkile fantasy show ....all I have to do is pop in LOTR extended cut.

Maybe you can do better in the future SOE...For your sake I really hope so.   Because, until you do I sure am not going to be willing to commit to a subscription plan with you.

Message Edited by SirCopenhagen on 02-20-2005 10:53 AM

SirCopenhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:51 AM   #812
Domok

When you take a mechanic that was probably a little too overpowering and nerf it beyond uselessness people will be annoyed. The workshop task overnerf destroyed my crafting fun completely. Why pass water over our time investment like this? If people aren't taking the undoubtedly more profitable route of selling to players then that probably says much more about your obstructive player merchant system. Give nice things to subscribers - stop punishing them for playing not quite as intended. I've cancelled already but will resub if you reverse these changes.
Domok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:45 AM   #813
Sinkat

General

Excelent thread, I really love reading this stuff.
I think you are doing an excelent job with the game and love your work, even though I haven´t started SMILEY but will very soon..
About the devs of SOE playing WoW I agree completely, since that is our main competition here and the best thing is that you like it alot and that way you could have fun and even get ideas for your EQ2 game, this way you can get a feel of other MMORPG´s other than the one you are creating.

I would love to see new things in the game and I know there will be, and apritiate all the work the devs are taking to fix every little thing posible.

About the future of MMO´s being like you mentioned, I think its all about getting as closer it can be to real life, what you mentioned about families and kids, but getting to that point would be very complicated, but not imposible, since you don´t want to change the real life of people into a virtual life in a game, even though you might have done that already with EQ1, lol SMILEY.

But the main thing is to mantain out game fun and have a great experience playing it, thanks for the great game you have created SOE and wish you the best for the upcoming things you do to it, Thank You.

Good Luck!
Sinkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:30 AM   #814
Exi

hi. i really like these recent changes to tradeskills. it is really enjoyable now, and btw im a 44 alchemist.

I decided its just too much now, and that im going to have to go to play WoW. you're changes to tradeskills make me think you [Removed for Content] have an IQ of no more than 5 or 6.

Are you [im-mad]ing listening to the [im-mad]ing feedback you are getting on the test server before you put it live? obviously [im-mad]ing not. HOW ABOUT READING THE [im-mad]ING FEEDBACK YOU GOT FROM THE TEST SERVER YOU DUMB [im-mad]ERS.

btw just incase you lazy [im-mad]ers cant even click the link and read one [im-mad]ing page, i'll quote a post right here.

"I have to seriously ask in terms of this feedback: Have you guys at SoE actually considered this patch at ALL in relation to the crafting classes? The "big thing" you have touted for the past several months since release was "inter-dependency". Some classes had it slightly unfair, such as Sages being limited to getting all their goods from Alchemists & Woodworkers. Alternatively Alchemists and Provisioners really depended on no one. This was compensated slightly in the selling market: Sages sold spells to players.

Now watch out! Here comes the Sony nerf bat swinging away! The entire crafting system we had been used to is now suddenly changed so that there will be little to no inter-dependency! With so many adept spells out there, Alchemists primarily sold inks and washes/etc to make their money. Woodworkers sold paper and quills. Given the increased cost of fuel prices and the fact writs are going to likely COST money to do instead of make money (at least given the current fuel prices) that leaves crafters right where we always are at the end of a big patch: on the wrong end of the stick.

So Sony wants Feedback on this patch? Here goes: This is a horrible, HORRIBLE solution to Sony's own decree of Inter-Dependency in Crafting. Self-sufficient classes with only a handfull making products the adventuring classes need, nothing crafting classes need that they can't make themselves and writ tasks (the one method of making money) has been apparently nerfed to the point that it will cost money to make at the high end instead of actually making ANY money.

Rethink this patch now before you shove it to Live, Sony. Otherwise you're going to screw hundreds of crafters and literally put numerous classes out of business completely. You may think we enjoy Beta-testing all your new ideas for the crafting system, but we're paying to play a finished game. Keep nerfing tradeskills until it is not fun at all and reduce the crafting population even more. 3g Apprentice 3 spells is a joke, wait until there are fewer sages and they can gouge for 10g per. You're working in the wrong direction here.. listen to those of us playing and realize the truth. Don't just listen to those who this patch will benefit (ie. Sages)."

also, you remember after the huge update, at around 4-5pm, there was a system wide message saying that the servers would come down in one hour.  do you know why? no, and it's because they don't want you to.  but you know what? i know why, and i'm going to tell you.  it's because they [im-mad]ed up big time.  You know how you can get books from clicky things, and get quests from them? And you know how some of them have an instant respawn? Well, they made the mistake of making those books have actual value to merchants.  need I explain the rest?

Message Edited by Exies on 02-20-2005 05:06 PM

Exi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 06:13 AM   #815
Parnig

I'm not much of a complainer but this recent patch with attune all gear is a little bit severe. I've been reading the forums and there is alot of disagreement with this change. If your concerned about items in the game flooding the market, there are other options to solve this. Like attuning gear to the players account so they can't sell it on the market, that way they can at least make use of the items with their characters on their account. I've been a fan of eq for some time now but eq2 and its constant changes can really get aggravating and its hard for me to even be interested to keep playing this game if this keeps going on. I not sure if there is a voting panel of some sort that makes you implement these ideas in the game. I think the customer should have their voice heard before changes like this go into effect. Well just wanted to let you know how I feel about the recent changes. I'm sure your getting alot of complaints about this recent patch. Just hope your thinking about making some changes to this patch that would make this game enjoyable as was before.
Parnig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:00 AM   #816
voiceofthepeop

I would be over joyed if Everquest 2 would just improve the Customer Service.

Message Edited by voiceofthepeople on 02-27-2005 01:42 PM

voiceofthepeop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #817
Mozar-Icebreak

John thx for the advice about WoW .Went out and bought it yesterday errr 18 hours ago havent stopped playing it since you were right WoW rocks Thank -You so much!!!! I havent canceled yet ill play another week or ttwo and see if BLIZZARD CAN MESS UP A GOOD GAME AS MUCH AS YOU DO.:smileymad:

You have 1 week really i mean this and i am gone for good and no i am not giving my stuff away it is all attuned(borrowed from SOE) I look at it as helping the economy all my stuff plus future game earning will be removeed from the game !! Because i sure a heck dont give a crap about the value of eq2 plat on ebay!!

I for 1 do not wish to pay to work so hard in  YOUR WORLD for the benefit of who? NOT me. I personally dont see the enjoyment in your lame [Removed for Content] game anymore. Adventuring is worse than it ever was and the appeal crafting had for me is gone .

I personally have gotten 4 people into online gaming .Playing eq2 they do not craft they adventure and they think after this last patch that it sucks. So 1)you lose these peeps 2)you get no new subcribers 3) you fix this BS (ya right) :smileyvery-happy:

Well anyways thank you John for giving me an alternate game to play !!
Mozar-Icebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:50 PM   #818
doughfie

I QUIT !!!

While most of my SWG, DaoC, L2, and AC1 buddies went to play WoW, I decided to try Everquest 2.  I have never played Everquest 1, but I figured any game that lasts as long as it has, and had a large player base, must have a great company supporting it.

I was impressed with EQ2 feel and graphics, but the player merchant system is weak compared to SWG.

I leveled up a few characters, but leveling in EQ2 seems geared toward groups who can dedicate hours at a time.  I decided to play a priest because it seemed easier to get into groups for short periods of time. 

Because we all start out poor, I decided to craft.  After I crafted a while I got addicted.  It was crafting that pushed me to level my combat skills so I could harvest better resources. 

It was the crafting interdependance that allowed me to meet new friends and establish working relationships.  With the recent interdependance nerf, I wave good bye to my friends...

I joined a guild, which the idea that we could help each other out.  We could pass down our great armor, and jewlery to guild newbies.  But now everything must be attuned, so I no longer need a guild.  I wave good bye to my guild.

The first day that crafting interdependance was removed I quickly ran some numbers, and found out I was able to craft a very few items without going in debt each time I make something.  However, the next days patch removed any reward from crafting.  Now it just burns time and provides no reward.  The wholesaler don't even want to give me the cost of the item + my time, not worth the effort.  I wave good bye to crafting.

I had two characters level 20-30.  And four crafters level 25-38.  I wave good bye to them.

Hello EQ2 players who have left for WoW.  I have met more than a dozen of you who have left.  I have never met anybody whos come to EQ2 from WoW.  I wave good bye to all my friends who played EQ2.  I am done with it.  I may look back, depending if SOE un-nerfs the crafting.  But since I bought WoW over the weekend, I am having a great time.  Good Bye. 

doughfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 09:21 PM   #819
Alarye

Loremaster

Great Changes, I love the fact that interdependancy has been nerfed, but in a quest game you should have added a quest for each of the new abilities.  Make it hard to get rid of the interdependancies.  Harvest 1000 of this, craft 200 of that, kill x named mobs.  something, in 5 hours I basically removed 2 of my dependancies, and I got xp from it.  I think a lot of the problems arise from people putting too much value to in game time (Adventure or Craft)  THe new fuel prices are not that bad, I still make money from writs when I do them, I still can sell an Item on the Merchant board for a 1/4 of what  others are selling for and still maek a profit.  IT IS NOT THAT BAD.  I am not canceling my account, I love the game, I just wish you would stop swinging the nerf bat and let the game settle down, I am real tired of hearing "I'm going to WoW!!".  I understand that you have to look for the future, but fix whats worng, and you cannot use one week or one month as a good reference.  Remove the right to nerf and hold all impulses to do so.  I grow tired of the fact that every strategy has to change so much after each patch. 

To those who will be posting with comments like "I am going to WoW." Waaaaaaa!!!:

Fine, have fun.  Your negative attitude only ruins my gaming experience.  Stop acting like you are the Voice of the enitre game, your not.  You shoudl be able to play what you want when you want.  So what you are going to another game, I hope it is what you want, but please the vast explainations and reasons, just show that you were look for something else, and you are too impatient to wait for this game to evolve.  You sound like you are the type to log off for 3 days when you have 22% Xp debt.  Only a fraction of the gaming community posts here, and the people who leave are a fraction of that.  Have fun and enjoy gaming, hope you find that un-nerfable game you are looking for, oh and the recently nerfed pally's over in WoW too, so you all are not safe there either.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:50 PM   #820
Zdra

LOL only a fraction ? if you look at the roundtable yes there is only a fraction posting on that ......post, look traderskill there was over 5000 post within 4 day + the test server poster and i am sure you didnt went to scout area or neither adventurer area, your oppinion is as valid than anyone else but dont come here blast poeple posting their oppinion on the game they picked up and changed completely.

Board even went down a few due to massive flood of post, over that those that know the internal info can tell ya that they lost a big chunck of player and beliave me that many like me just giving them a little more bit time to find a balance somewhere before press the cancel account and only few new player came.

WoW gained a darn bunch of new player the last month......and they not coming from everywhere but from SoE taking us for their tester and lots more would be playing it if there was some copy available but anyone can hardly find any and have to pay a very high price for it.

So enjoy the game if you like be controlled and forced to accept any change they want to implent, i dont say that that patch wasnt needed but the way of respect they gave us last month + the very opposite of their change going from nice to ugly insteand to go smootly or find a balance made this game poor and broken at least totaly for crafter , there is no interdepandance which i personaly doesnt much care but that they lied at me vs subclass being important and pure crafter as viable than any others class in the game was too much for me and completely not making 1 gold being level 50 including trying actively to sell directly to player is stupid coz there is no market in game.

You stating that such guys that posted above break your experience in game.......but such guys changed the world you live in real.....such guys forced dictator to change their way to go and so on and that exactly what we are trying to do , force them to find a balance so everyone enjoy the game once again before it get too late.

WoW 900 000 player online.

Eq2  Less than 200 000 ........which was 300 000 , 2 month ago.....

WoW sucess isnt only from their supposed great game coz its good but not that good its just from the mistake SoE did in the past and the mistake they does now and will in the future, they lost trust vs too much players and doesnt seem to care of it.

Zeus

Zdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 09:57 PM   #821
Domok

Evolution I can cope with, completely changing the rules on a whim is quite another. "Patience"? I remember Horizons fans extolling the virtues of "patience". Maybe they still are.
Domok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:51 AM   #822
Tetragramat

Nerfing, nerfing and nerfing some more.. Grinding, grinding and grinding even more... There are some of the biggest problem in this game. If SoE didnt get out the nerf bat as quick as they do maybe there wouldnt have been an exdous like there has been. Ive spoken to a few that have left for wow and even if wow does get boring after 3 or so months most are now looking for the new titles that are just around the corner and arent considering coming back here. So stop nerfing and increase the exp it $*^$^% insane that you have grinding at lvl 20+.
Tetragramat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:11 AM   #823
SirCopenhag

haha...haha...~rolls on the floor, laughing and holding belly~ Muahahahahaha!

hahahaha...[Removed for Content]...hahahaha~trys to catch breathe~

Oh...uhm...sorry, haha

I think it is funny as heck that they wont listen to what people want.  I also think it is funny that people like myself are leaving SOE to play WoW.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Laughs at you SOE, I laughs in your face! hahahahahahahaha.
SirCopenhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:58 AM   #824
Denog

I would strongly suggest SOE gets on the ball soon. WOW may be the only thing out there at the moment as an alternative, but many more games that pose a serious challenge are coming fast. Vanguard, Middle earth,D&D online are just a few that will slowly drain the player base this game makes it's money from. There are thousands of problems small and big they could have addressed with this last patch, but they chose to place a patch on the live servers that the test server comunity had problems with. I guess I may be naive to think that a gaming company would want to keep it's customer base happy. The lack of comunication withom every level of it's customer support is just uncalled for. Customer service problems are one of the tell tale signs of a badly run company. Your customers are your lifesblood and should be treated as such, not like a whining child that wants another cookie before dinner. Try actually reading your forums Mr. John Smedley. You do not need threads like this is you would just open your eyes and ears and treat your fans like an integral part of your company which we are since many believe we are being trated as your testing department. You rushed this product to the market knowing it had serious problems. This type of blunder would be responded to with sanctions and court actions in many other types of industries, but with GAMING "It's just a game". Your company should be embarased by the flawed way you treated such an important release to your loyal and growing fanbase. YOU OWE THEM BETTER! Do I expect you to even see this post? NO! I am sure you are given specific reports daily which you view through your rose colored glasses which show your company as the jugernaut the industry believes it to be. Do us all a favor and read the forums and see for yourself the VERY REAL problems this game has. At the moment it is not as bad as it will get with those of us like myself still posting here in hopes something changes, but as the days pass many just like me are leaving for greener pastures and in doing so leaving a game they love or wanted to love. You can change this. You can save the game your fans were waiting years for. You can show them you care by solving the massive amounts of problems in this game instead of giving more lip service!
Denog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:39 AM   #825
Tari Palantir

Loremaster

Sir Copenbaby:You're leaving? Oh, god, THANK YOU SO MUCH!.
Tari Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:52 AM   #826
Tari Palantir

Loremaster

Love the predominance of attunable gear. Wondered how you were going to deal with market saturation and guild stockpiling with no true equipment decay. Now I know; good job!
Old 02-22-2005, 08:06 AM   #827
RSZ

Loremaster

My message to Mr. Smedley:

I fail to see how any executive can oversee and approve the recent development activity in this game.  Your team ignored feedback, your team implemented changes that fundamentally affect the game, your team has disregarded player warnings and concerns. 

What is left is two things:

1. pretend that everything is alright (and Mr. Smedley, when HQ gets the whiff of this quarter numbers, things won't be pretty)
2. backtrack and admit mistakes (something SOE NEVER does, part of your corporate strategy)

So you worked yourself into a bind.  That's usually what happens when you don't think things thru but run with the ball, team-think and hope that people will just roll over.
RSZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:58 AM   #828
Tari Palantir

Loremaster

Wow, gotta like RSZ. 200+ total posts, all of them sounding a little like Eyore on crack. He does raise one or two valid points: Playing WoW leaves the Blizzard players with too much time to write on the EQII boards, what with waiting in the endless 'let me the heck on the server' queues and the 'oops, didn't quite scale right' service outages. Attuned is about the same as soulbound, and exists for pretty much the same reason, so surprise and bitterness not so warranted. Nerfed is in the eye of the beholder SMILEY and finally, I agree the developers have been very adept at filtering out the usefull advice and feedback from the endless waves of trivial griping from anyone who lost their favorite 'uber' when the game balance was adjusted. Oh, wait...sorry, those were my points.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:36 AM   #829
Billius8

Loremaster

There are two types of difficulties/obstacles in MMORPG's (and really any game):ChallengesHasslesHaving to slay a giant to acquire a special item for crafting is a "challenge". Having to zone three times and click through 20 screens to craft an item is a "hassle." Challenges = FunHassles = No funWhatever direction EQ2 goes, I think ought to be in the vein of increasing the "challenges" in the game while eliminating or reducing the "hassles."Personally, I think they ought to secretly start work on EQ3, using EQ2 graphics technology, and give us a game more like EQLive. Perhaps it can be set 500 years before EQLive in "the First Age" or something. It appears a lot of us are missing the old geography of pre-Luclin Norrath. Having racial starting cities in a vast world in which you can choose any direction to walk in for adventure can only be a vast improvement.Give us a vast open game world with distinct races and distinct classes and turn us loose to do as we wish.
Billius8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:30 AM   #830
mrplop

well what can i say apart from you have just wasted a couple of months of my time playing eq2, you make a game and change the goal posts constantly, why do you even have beta, when i first started playing this game i thought i wont rush it and power level , i'll take my time created a cleric, created a scholar , created a woodworker for him to make quills for my scholar, created an alchemist for him to make inks etc and what do you do, you patch a few books and all the power levellers get to do crafting in 1 hit, making all the hours spent levelling the stupid crafters worthless, and on top of that you cant change the crafters to be provisioners or something useful and you expect us to carry on playing as if nothing has happened, i'm not even gonna check the forums for how many people feel peeved about this.
your token effort was to give us a weekend of double exp for crafting so the power levellers can even do that quicker, i am not a happy bunny right now and my station access pass is strangely near to cancellation, another 30 odd pound down the drain, thanx again for wasting my time.
from meridien 59 to eq1 to eq2, not a lot has changed really, pretty graphics,bigger game engines but not better game play and the same old developers being told how to make games by people without a clue, and by the way if you find the programmers from meridian 59 offer them a good deal cos that game had the best game play of any mmorpg to date, maybe then we can look to the future but i doubt it.
mrplop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:27 PM   #831
Despak

Loremaster

Wow the amazing over-reactions to the crafting changes are amazing.

What has changed?

Everyone can now use one character to supply themselves for DOUBLE the fuel cost.  Whoopdifriggingdo!

Last weekend I make a small fortune selling carbonite shods, sold them for less than double the fuel costs and couldn't produce them fast enough.

What do the changes mean in the future?  Well for one, I will still buying all my inks and worts from Alchemists but from those that price them right.  Same goes for most of the crafters I know.

All these changes are doing is allowing you to pay what you want to pay.  Do you buy a WORT that you could make for more than it would cost you? Or do you make it yourself and wait till people start to sell at the correct price?  I know what I would do.

These comments about I have an alchy and a woodworker to supply my sage and now the other two are worthless; have to be the stupidest comments ever to pollute this board.  So what are you saying?  You will now use your sage to create all his own sub-combines for double the cost?  Stupid, inane and brainless.  If you had the sense of a flea you would STILL use them to create the sub-combines as it's STILL CHEAPER.

Idiots should think before they react, but then you wouldn't be an idiot would you.  Guess some people prefer to be idiots and complain rather then use their brains.
Despak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:58 PM   #832
Alarye

Loremaster

Despak wrote:
Wow the amazing over-reactions to the crafting changes are amazing.

What has changed?

Everyone can now use one character to supply themselves for DOUBLE the fuel cost.  Whoopdifriggingdo!

Last weekend I make a small fortune selling carbonite shods, sold them for less than double the fuel costs and couldn't produce them fast enough.

What do the changes mean in the future?  Well for one, I will still buying all my inks and worts from Alchemists but from those that price them right.  Same goes for most of the crafters I know.

All these changes are doing is allowing you to pay what you want to pay.  Do you buy a WORT that you could make for more than it would cost you? Or do you make it yourself and wait till people start to sell at the correct price?  I know what I would do.

These comments about I have an alchy and a woodworker to supply my sage and now the other two are worthless; have to be the stupidest comments ever to pollute this board.  So what are you saying?  You will now use your sage to create all his own sub-combines for double the cost?  Stupid, inane and brainless.  If you had the sense of a flea you would STILL use them to create the sub-combines as it's STILL CHEAPER.

Idiots should think before they react, but then you wouldn't be an idiot would you.  Guess some people prefer to be idiots and complain rather then use their brains.

Very well said.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:56 PM   #833
Musiqu

Proving Monks can tank one group at a time.

nuff said.
Musiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:11 PM   #834
Musiqu

Not my fight but I'll explain super slow for you so you can understand.

Lets say you level'ed 3 crafters to 30 so that you could decrease your reliance on other crafters.  Now, instead of having to rely on other crafters you pay for a couple extra coal per combine...  Now lets say you are going to work your way up to lvl 50 with one of the crafters... are you going to bother leveling up those other two crafters so they continue to provide you with subcomponents?  I don't think so... those other two crafters are useless.

Cost of leveling two level 30 crafters   >   the added cost of extra fuel.  Verstehen?

Say you leveled up a knight JUST so you could have a horse that let you run around a little faster, and then they nerfed the horse.

Say you started an evil character because you wanted to be evil, and then your overlord was delivering pizzas.

Idiots think complainers are a vocal minority.
Idiots think eliminating class interdepence in crafting was a good idea.
Idiots think monks should tank under any circumstance (they are leather for Christ's sake).
Musiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:58 PM   #835
Boneli

Loremaster

Player Housing should be the reverse of what it should be.   Low cost housing should be in a city zone that is more difficult to get to, not the outskirts where we can easily get to other zones, and crafter guilds.   In doing so, players as they level would need to move to better areas, costing more $,etc., and inturn get quicker access to zones, crafter guilds, etc.   As the game stands now, It makes no sence to me to ever move from my one room 5Sil upkeep home, except for wanting a bigger place to put the stuff I get.    I have quick access to zones to locate other sellers, etc.

There also is no reason for a carpenter to exist outside of a guild, as these items are purely oranmental, and never wear out, etc.   If these items would reduce the initial cost, and upkeep cost for all players, not only guilded players, then these items would have more value in the world. 

City status should apply to all players, not just guild members, but guilds should get better places / housing.   Think of it like normal players living the suburbs of a city, but guild would have a choice to live in the heart of it with access to everything, or even in exclusive guild only zones.   As a players status is raised, he gets access to different city zones.  

Now giving the game as it sits now, these could not be implmented, since everyone is use to it as it is, but things could be done.

1.  As players level, require them to have to move to a better home.   This could be in the same zone as it is now, but things change.    IE.  lvl 6-10 ya get the free/5sil upkeep single room home.   lvl 11 - 20, ya get a single room with maybe a trophy nook, and upkeep goes to 25Sil.  lvl 21 - 30, a  2 room home with upkeep at 75Sil.  lvl 31 - 40 3 rooms, etc.   each version getting better then the first, and each version costing more in upkeep.    Give guilded players a different choice then reg members, and maybe even charge them less if ya want as it occurs now.

2.  Allow Furnishing to reduce the cost of upkeep as it occurs now for guild members to everyone.   This way carpenters will be able to sell more items besides Box's. (Lol, just joking....)    Furnishings would actually have a use to all players, not just guild members.

3.  Allow everyone to get player status, to open up new city zones that would give quicker/no cost acess to other zones.   I.E. if you live here, and pay the 1 gold upkeep, you can travel free directly to other zones, like Zek, etc. without having to purchace tickets, as it is now, or run through 3 zones to get there...    In this manner, as a player does city quests, and heritage quests, get status, these benificial housing zones would open up for use.

I believe each of the above suggestions could be implemented in EQ2 as it stands now, without much additional programming, since pretty much all of this content already exists today.  It just needs to be applied diferently.

as for new content.....

4. Furnishings should also have a life of their own.   Initially, they look great, but then every 6 months, they get older.   Have the graphic alter ever so slighly, so after like 2 years of real world time, you pretty much would have to replace it.  Allow normal items to be replacable only, and rare items to be repaired, kinda like a mender NPC does now.   No need to go back and find a carpenter.   This could be a NPC that you bring the item to, and just pay to have it repaired.    

5. Rare items should be Attuned to the player, and not be resellable.  This way they remain with the owner or get distroyed.

6. Add to examine function a popup window that actually shows the look of the item, so players know what they're getting.   This could be nice for all items, not just housing stuff.

7.  Inside of houses, allow accent colors of items to be altered by the owner.  Kinda like how the floors and walls can be now.   This could be global in color schemes or individual, but it would allow each player to create a unique home.   Apply this to the cushion pads, carvings, etc.

These are all doable, and would be a nice addition.

Boneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:06 PM   #836
Despak

Loremaster

Musiques wrote:
These comments about I have an alchy and a woodworker to supply my sage and now the other two are worthless; have to be the stupidest comments ever to pollute this board. So what are you saying? You will now use your sage to create all his own sub-combines for double the cost? Stupid, inane and brainless. If you had the sense of a flea you would STILL use them to create the sub-combines as it's STILL CHEAPER.
Lets say you level'ed 3 crafters to 30 so that you could decrease your reliance on other crafters. Now, instead of having to rely on other crafters you pay for a couple extra coal per combine... Now lets say you are going to work your way up to lvl 50 with one of the crafters... are you going to bother leveling up those other two crafters so they continue to provide you with subcomponents? I don't think so... those other two crafters are useless.
Cost of leveling two level 30 crafters > the added cost of extra fuel. Verstehen?
Say you leveled up a knight JUST so you could have a horse that let you run around a little faster, and then they nerfed the horse.
Say you started an evil character because you wanted to be evil, and then your overlord was delivering pizzas.
Idiots think monks should tank under any circumstance (they are leather for Christ's sake).

I'll go slow for you too..I ask again, what has changed? Before you had the option of paying someone else to make your sub-combines. You instead chose to level your own support group. Now you have the options of paying someone to make your sub-combines, make them yourself for more or use your existing support alts. It's still your choice whether you want to use them or not. Get it? Choice.. no-one has teken that away from you. Besides as say a level sage you would need to level up an additional two or three skills to stand a chance of making good combines for say WORTS and it's probably cheaper to level the Alchy while he makes what you need.I someone levelled a knight for a broken horse, then more fool them in my opinion. When I created a Paladin it was because it fitted what I wanted to as a tank - a bit of everything with good solo ability. Not for a horse that was supposed to give 0% extra run speed and was at the time broken. It got fixed, tough luck for those that created a paladin for a frigging horse. I still enjoy my Paladin for the class and it's abilities (not fluff crap).Monks that I have grouped with Tank fine, although I would prefer a Guardian for very large encounters.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:14 PM   #837
Alarye

Loremaster

Thank you, because I am apparently an idiot.  Now lets see if I understand.

Lets say you level'ed 3 crafters to 30 so that you could decrease your reliance on other crafters. 

So now that SOE has changed this so that you do not have to deal with as much interdepenancy, you complain, you do have a valid point, but don't the recent changes make this better?  You still have to level the one Character up, but you have  less switching, pulling gear out of shared banks and such.

Now, instead of having to rely on other crafters you pay for a couple extra coal per combine...  Now lets say you are going to work your way up to lvl 50 with one of the crafters... are you going to bother leveling up those other two crafters so they continue to provide you with subcomponents?

You can level them up if you want to save money.  And make more for yourself.  I am not sure because I have only worked on one Character as far as crafting goes, but when refining, there is no additional fuel cost.  Only when you go to make the interim fuel products is there an added fuel cost.

I don't think so... those other two crafters are useless.

Cost of leveling two level 30 crafters   >   the added cost of extra fuel.  Verstehen?

Verstehen? What's that mean.  (I am being serious)

I do feel bad, you spent the time to get the levels, but I mean now it will be more convenient for you to just use a single character to make your products.  Where is the downside??    

Do not get me started on this. 

Yeah, I agree with you.  Faction is another story tho.

Regardless of who the Vocal Minority is, I do see the same names complaining over and over.  and we all do have opinions, but what I am getting at are the posts that say "I quit" with nothing constructive, it really says it all when you just cancel your account, no need to announce it.  It really won't make an impact.  Like the devs or anyone else is gonna send you a PM with a counter offer or call you a [FAAR-NERFED!]. 

Why is it not?  I like it both ways.  But I hate having to choose to be gouged, or not be able to craft. 

I never said any circumstance.  I can tank and thats all I said. 
Old 02-22-2005, 11:34 PM   #838
Despak

Loremaster

Verstehen means understand(ing) in German. Some people think it used to show a higher intelligence when using it on an English speaking board/thread!
Old 02-22-2005, 11:43 PM   #839
EQXa

General

Going to step into the flames here I'm sure ... but....

I have to admit, the crafting changes sure made my life easier.  My character is an armorer (/pauses for laughter), and up until now it has been VERY difficult to level her.  I'd finally set aside some time to do some tradeskills, only to find out that none of the subcomponets I needed were for sale.  I'd ask in guild - none of the crafters able to make them were on.  I'd watch the various stations in the TS instance and when someone would start to work at one I'd ask if they could make such-and-such -- rarely.

So this past weekend, being able to do all the work myself was great.  I looked on merchants first (ie the Easy Route) and when the items were unavailable, I set to work.  I was able to make a couple levels (finally).

By the way, with all the xp making subcombines for TS classes that my charcter is not, it dawned on me that it would seem possible to level up a crafter of one profession, without ever actually MAKING any items of that profession.  I'm not sure if that's the goal they were shooting for.  :smileytongue:

Now, having said all that, I still cannot agree with the method they chose to create these changes.  Wiping out crafter livlihoods in one fell swoop is just bad business.

What I would have wished for was something along the lines of the following (two-parter):  One - offline selling.  There really isn't too much to be said about this that hasn't already been said, but unless I can buy what I need - when I need it - then how am I supposed to craft anything (class-interdependent or not).  Without a constant supply of items to sell/buy, there is almost no chance for a standard price-point to develop.  I know when I turn on my merchant character night after night, I have to adjust prices because they can change DRASTICALLY day-to-day.  It all depends on who is offline selling and who is online playing (instead of selling).  If all sellable items were visible all the time, then a natural price-point would develop imo.

Two: Merchants should sell the lowest quality subcomponet (shaped?).  Items are alreay marked as finished products or subcomponets.  So SOE should take it to the next level and just let you BUY the shaped version - of every subcomponet. This would be another money sink, and SOE loves money sinks.  Conversely, when making your own items and you end up with sub-pristine items, you should be able to sell back subcomponets at the same price you can buy them at.  (This is just for the subcomponet items - not - final products.)  Further, I think you should be able to do it from the crafting station.  You have your recipe and oops - out of Subcomponet X.  So right from the recipe there is an option "Buy #" and a price.  Choose the qty, click buy, and keep going.

As long as something near to those two ideas (ESPECIALLY the off-line selling) are put in place, they should be able to go back to interdependant again.

-- edit: massive typos SMILEY

Message Edited by EQXav2 on 02-22-2005 11:16 AM

EQXa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:02 AM   #840
Onyx Cu

Ill give you a hint from my opinion.

Try to fund some marketing research insted of leeching more off your paying customers.
Onyx Cu is offline   Reply With Quote