EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Wurm

Loremaster

Q1) I love the idea of the lore tied into the new ethereal weapons! Can you please tell us a bit more about them?

Lyndro: A1) Sure, the Etheral weapons are tied generally to the lore that we'll be telling with the expansion. Specifically they are all related to memorable encounters and events in the game.  #eq2dev

Mysstie (player): Hmm.. I've yet to see an Ethereal weapon

Windstalker: @Mysstie_EQ2 Kill more stuff your level...SMILEY

According to ACT I killed over 60,000 mobs in Withering Lands since the beginning of August.

I didn't not have an Etheral Weapon drop.

I don't really care about that, but Mrs. Windstalker's comment was rather flip.

@ the dev team... I'n the future do not add items that are supposed to be part of the upcoming lore and then act flippant when your players get a bit upset about not getting one.

In fact both the new mythicals and these so-called etheral weapons really have no place in the game in the manner they were added.

My 2 copper.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
tomsky

Loremaster

Wurm wrote:

Q1) I love the idea of the lore tied into the new ethereal weapons! Can you please tell us a bit more about them?

Lyndro: A1) Sure, the Etheral weapons are tied generally to the lore that we'll be telling with the expansion. Specifically they are all related to memorable encounters and events in the game.  #eq2dev

Windstalker: @Mysstie_EQ2 Kill more stuff your level...

According to ACT I killed over 60,000 mobs in Withering Lands since the beginning of August.

@ the dev team... I'n the future do not add items that are supposed to be part of the upcoming lore and then act flippant when your players get a bit upset about not getting one.

In fact both the new mythicals and these so-called etheral weapons really have no place in the game in the manner they were added.

My 2 copper.

To sum your post up:

Random Number Generator wasn't on my side. It must be a bad idea.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Wurm wrote:

My 2 copper.

Want me to tell you what is on my mind as I read your post?

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Wurm

Loremaster

tomsky wrote:

Wurm wrote:

My 2 copper.

To sum your post up:

No didn't say that at all. Making any item thats part of lore at the odds of 1:100,000 is wrong. I don't care that I didn't get one. I do care about Windstalker's flippant reply to the issue.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Wurm wrote:

tomsky wrote:

Wurm wrote:

My 2 copper.

To sum your post up:

No didn't say that at all. Making any item thats part of lore at the odds of 1:100,000 is wrong. I don't care that I didn't get one. I do care about Windstalker's flippant reply to the issue.

How was it flippant if it's truthful?  If the odds are 1:100,000 that's PER KILL not guarantee of 1 per 100,000.  You might get 25,000 or you might get none.

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
alabama

Loremaster

tomsky wrote:

Wurm wrote:

My 2 copper.

To sum your post up:

says the guy who got and sold how many of those weaps? 10?

ive killed over 50,000 in WL and another 30,000 spread between the other 90+ zones as well. didnt see one drop all month lol.

not complaining though, rng on my guy has always sucked. personally i would of enjoyed the hunt alot more if it was a long drawn out hard to complete story based questline instead of another 5 min thought out plan some dev came up with on the long walk down the hallway to the bathroom after lunch. but then again its $oe

Smokejumper: "The monthly subscription fee means players can expect a lot of new content from us. And I say a lot - I really mean that. This is something that we feel obligated to the players, because they are paying monthly sub fee."

alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

alabama wrote:

tomsky wrote:

Wurm wrote:

My 2 copper.

To sum your post up:

says the guy who got and sold how many of those weaps? 10?

ive killed over 50,000 in WL and another 30,000 spread between the other 90+ zones as well. didnt see one drop all month lol.

not complaining though, rng on my guy has always sucked. personally i would of enjoyed the hunt alot more if it was a long drawn out hard to complete story based questline instead of another 5 min thought out plan some dev came up with on the long walk down the hallway to the bathroom after lunch. but then again its $oe

I have not obtained a single ethereal weapon.I like the concept, and the way SOE put it in. The loot was not better than end game raid items, but still desirable. Ethereals evidently got people out of the guild halls, and killing thousands of mobs. Bravo SOE!Like Holly said, if you want to improve your chances of getting one, kill more mobs.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
Zygar

Loremaster

Wurm wrote:

tomsky wrote:

Wurm wrote:

My 2 copper.

To sum your post up:

It was neither flippant nor insulting. It was the complete and honest truth. Rumors had been running rampant on the best way to get an ethereal. People were stating do this, or I heard that you should do this. The only way to increase your odds of getting one was to kill more mobs that con at least green to you. No strategies, zones, named, etc. Get it? They were intended as rare drops, and guess what? They are going to stay rare b/c of the drop rate. The 1:100,000 drop chance is a nice number that you came up with to throw in there, too bad you just made it up. There is nothing "wrong" with anything they did, and in many forum posts people stated that farming them was not the way to go unless you just enjoy that kind of thing and don't mind spending your time that way. I don't think SOE should apologize to any who got their feelings hurt over not getting one. It was a fair way to introduce an upcoming expansion/lore, and everyone had the same odds of finding one.

92 Provisioner
Befallen (Oasis) Server

Zygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Wurm wrote:

I don't really care about that, but Mrs. Windstalker's comment was rather flip

Flip or not, it was 100% true.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
Draylore

Loremaster

Zygar wrote:

It was neither flippant nor insulting. It was the complete and honest truth. Rumors had been running rampant on the best way to get an ethereal. People were stating do this, or I heard that you should do this. The only way to increase your odds of getting one was to kill more mobs that con at least green to you. No strategies, zones, named, etc. Get it? They were intended as rare drops, and guess what? They are going to stay rare b/c of the drop rate. The 1:100,000 drop chance is a nice number that you came up with to throw in there, too bad you just made it up. There is nothing "wrong" with anything they did, and in many forum posts people stated that farming them was not the way to go unless you just enjoy that kind of thing and don't mind spending your time that way. I don't think SOE should apologize to any who got their feelings hurt over not getting one. It was a fair way to introduce an upcoming expansion/lore, and everyone had the same odds of finding one.

+1

I could not have found a better way to express my thoughts on this whole Ethereal thing.

SOE did a good thing with them IMO. 

How anyone could get insulted by what was the only truthful answer to the question at hand is beyond me.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
Landiin

Loremaster

Truthful yes but the wording and the tone was bad. A more technical answer like; the drop chance on these are very low, you have a better chance of getting layed by (insert your dream person here) then getting one of these. Unless your lucky you will need to kill until your eyes bleed and you want to quit the game.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Unless your lucky you will need to kill until your eyes bleed and you want to quit the game.

Which is precisely what Holly's comment was intended to convey, so I'm not buying this "tone" & "wording" argument. I think people who are complaining about her comment need to grow a thicker skin.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
Grumble69

Loremaster

I recommend reposting this on the "other website".  Perhaps the audience there will help you see this in a new light.

Grumble69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

You have an awfully think skin.  Toughen it up a bit.  She gave you an honest answer.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
Lathain_Sarathai

Loremaster

Yes kill more is a cheap answere. While if they was honnest, could have say they have lowered drop rate by 10.At start it was like 1/10.000 (prob less like 4 to 5k) and went to 1/100.000 without any notice.

Got 3 in 2 days then none in 3 weeks.

Lathain_Sarathai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #16
Geothe

Loremaster

Lathain_Sarathai wrote:

Yes kill more is a cheap answere. While if they was honnest, could have say they have lowered drop rate by 10.At start it was like 1/10.000 (prob less like 4 to 5k) and went to 1/100.000 without any notice.

Got 3 in 2 days then none in 3 weeks.

Welcome to random number generator.

Smed: 5) This [LoN] is not some slippery slope towards selling items directly in EQ & EQ II.

Lie #3: Station Cash. Enough Said.

Geothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:39 AM   #17
Landiin

Loremaster

Freejazzlive wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Unless your lucky you will need to kill until your eyes bleed and you want to quit the game.

Which is precisely what Holly's comment was intended to convey, so I'm not buying this "tone" & "wording" argument. I think people who are complaining about her comment need to grow a thicker skin.

Fact is short one liners like that is never good PR wise because they can be hard to read the intent. Better wording should of been used but hey, it was live so crap like that happens. Why does the OP need to grow thinker skin? Is it so hard to see their point of view even though you don't agree with it? Maybe you need to learn some understanding...

Old 08-31-2012, 01:28 AM   #18
zehly

Loremaster

If you didn't "care" about getting one, why'd you kill 60,000 mobs? If you didn't "care", why did you take the time to write the post on a remark you found "flip" regarding a subject you have no interest in? SOE basically told you "Less QQ more Pew Pew".

Savior Niekko, 92/320 Templar

Sir Trixle, ??/??? Brigand
zehly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:50 AM   #19
salty21db

Loremaster

I can't believe this is a topic first of all.

Secondly I can't believe I'm taking the time to respond.

But my response is this.  Grow a pair...

salty21db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:13 AM   #20
Rainmare
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

My complaint with the Ethereals...other then thier uber rarity (thank god I finally got my sword. only took 30 days of 6+ farming hours a day) is that there actually is no 'lore' about them. none. the only thing we have is they are all named after what looks like raid/group instance mobs...and some of them have a little quote from said mob.

no explaination on how they came into the game world other then a blip about ethereal tears. no tie into anything we're doing right now.

in fact the only tenative tie we do have is Kyle bayle claming to be a big shot in Etherenere, and there's being ethereal weapons. and the onyl people that would even know that much are good side player that did the Qeynos storyline.

So exactly how is this event a 'lead in' to anything?

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:31 AM   #21
Lizabethan

Philosopher

[email protected] wrote:

My complaint with the Ethereals...other then thier uber rarity (thank god I finally got my sword. only took 30 days of 6+ farming hours a day) is that there actually is no 'lore' about them. none. the only thing we have is they are all named after what looks like raid/group instance mobs...and some of them have a little quote from said mob.

no explaination on how they came into the game world other then a blip about ethereal tears. no tie into anything we're doing right now.

in fact the only tenative tie we do have is Kyle bayle claming to be a big shot in Etherenere, and there's being ethereal weapons. and the onyl people that would even know that much are good side player that did the Qeynos storyline.

So exactly how is this event a 'lead in' to anything?

Here's the speculation thread, with some really good points in it: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=521827

Again, it's all speculation, but what they're throwing out there makes sense; the devs obviously can't give concrete answers on the lore connection just yet.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #22
Avirodar
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Fact is short one liners like that is never good PR wise because they can be hard to read the intent. Better wording should of been used but hey, it was live so crap like that happens. Why does the OP need to grow thinker skin? Is it so hard to see their point of view even though you don't agree with it? Maybe you need to learn some understanding...

Twitter is a short & sweet communication medium. It is what it is. It is not a medium for in depth responses.Copied + Pasted the above from the OP. Hope the color is readable for everyone:

Mysstie (player): Hmm.. I've yet to see an Ethereal weaponWindstalker: @Mysstie_EQ2 Kill more stuff your level...

The intent of the response was clear. The smiley made it clear the response of a good nature. A person made a comment that they are yet to see an ethereal. Windstalker was nice enough to respond with actual relevant information. Mathematically, what is the best way to improve your chances of seenig one? Is it...a) Kill more stuff your level - orb) Sit in your private guild hall which only 1-2 other people are in, and watch the moon graphics roll around.Windstalker gave a short, factual, and smiley-featured response to a simple statement. Anyone who takes this in a negative light, is simply looking for an avenue to vent their frustrations, of not getting an ethereal.And this is coming from someone who has NOT obtained an ethereal.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #23
Wurm

Loremaster

Ahhh I knew this thread would bring out the fan boys in full force.

1) I wasn't farming for the weapon. I was just doing my normal thing. After reading Windstalkers remark I decided to see how many mobs I had killed.

2) I have a pair... probably bigger than your's.

3) The reason I made the thread wasn't that I didn't get one. I wasn't even trying... it was my distaste for the current way the current team treats its paying customers. Regardless of what she said was true or not, it was not the proper way to answer the question.

4) The RNG is used way too often as an excuse here at the forums.

5) I should know better by now to say anything, this is just the way things are in the SJ era.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #24
Deago

Loremaster

Don't hate the RNG...hate the arguments SMILEY     /end_geek

Old 08-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #25
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Wurm wrote:

3) The reason I made the thread wasn't that I didn't get one. I wasn't even trying... it was my distaste for the current way the current team treats its paying customers. Regardless of what she said was true or not, it was not the proper way to answer the question.

Nothing more needed to be said. Anything more than "kill more mobs SMILEY" would have used more words to convey no more information.

Beyond that, there was a SMILEY attached, which pretty clearly meant it was supposed to be a funny. You, sir/ma'am, need a thicker skin!

If I were a "fan boy" I'd be paying a sub fee & never ever complaining. Since I refuse to pay a sub fee & complain regularly, I'm hardly a "fan boy." Instead, I'm a person who gives both credit & flames where they're due. Holly's statement deserves credit; yours does not.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #26
SOE-MOD-08

Community Moderator

Locking this thread up for not being constructive. 

SOE-MOD-08 is offline   Reply With Quote