EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > In Testing Feedback
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #121
Whilhelmina
Server: Storms
Guild: Les Furies d Innoruuk

Tester

Aurelis wrote:

Weird.  I was on high quality and couldn't see it, neither could my friend...  Test or Test Copy?

Test copy and High performance.

On Test, with a 29 necro, I don't see the skull on Lifetap (grandmaster), Soulrot V (apprentice) or bloodcoil III (apprentice) but I see it on Bloodcloud (Apprentice).

Whilhelmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #122
Titigabe

Loremaster

Thers are no reason for the spell effects to be so downgraded !

If it's for performance reasons during raids or for players with lower systems, then just turn them off! Or create a light version of the actual spell effect and adjuste other that need to be updated a bit such as ice comet or ball of fire for Wizards.

But don't change the whole thing!

You made a step backward and even if I'm concsious that what I'm about to say is not constructive at all, I swear I'll stop playing EQ2 and will never come back until visual effects are restored to what they were previously!

(same state of mind regarding the SC buton and the SC items now appearing in the item list of city merchants, but it's another subject).

Titigabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #123
Aurel

Book Goddess

VERY bizarre.  Test copy, level 90, Soulrot IX master... and I see no skull and crossbones -- even went down to high performance.

(tried to time it to be the same spot as your screenshot... kinda sorta off!)

Old 08-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #124
Whilhelmina

Tester

On Test, with a 29 necro, I don't see the skull on Lifetap (grandmaster), Soulrot V (apprentice) or bloodcoil III (apprentice) but I see it on Bloodcloud (Apprentice). It's weird

Old 08-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #125
Guy De Alsace

Loremaster

Can the team dealing with EQ2X PLEASE talk to the art department because everything you are trying to do with EQ2X will be ruined by these spell effects.

Guy De Alsace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #126
Travleer33

Guardian

I dont realy care how great they look as long as I am able to turn them on in a raid and see SOMETHING.

Travleer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #127
Guy De Alsace

Loremaster

Travleer33 wrote:

I dont realy care how great they look as long as I am able to turn them on in a raid and see SOMETHING.

If you have a microscope maybe.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #128
Jaremai

Loremaster

Guy De Alsace wrote:

Can the team dealing with EQ2X PLEASE talk to the art department because everything you are trying to do with EQ2X will be ruined by these spell effects.

Good.

Jaremai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #129
Whilhelmina

Tester

Aurelis wrote:

VERY bizarre.  Test copy, level 90, Soulrot IX master... and I see no skull and crossbones -- even went down to high performance.

ok, so I worked a bit more on it and I see green skulls on :

- Soulrot IX Master

- Bloodcloud VI Apprentice

- Bloodcoil VIII Master

- Pandemic VII Expert

- Grasping Bones Master

- Lifetap V Master

- Siphoning of Souls III Apprentice (and Servile Soul)

- Mortality Mark V Expert

- Fear V Expert

- Chains of Torment VII Expert

- Dooming Darkness III Journeyman

- Undead horde II Expert

- Awakened grave IV Expert

- Blighted horde V Expert

EDIT : I just found out... It's Lich!

Without lich I see it only on Bloodcloud and Consumption when it ticks

Old 08-04-2010, 02:54 AM   #130
Maergoth

Loremaster

xpraetorianx wrote:

Maergoth wrote:

For classes like Illusionists and Coercers, it will be very hard to develop any kind of detailed particle effects because of how often they cast and how quickly the spell actually goes through.

My suggestion is simple.. every one of their 5 or so primary spells should place a symbol in front of their character for a decent duration; 5 seconds should work. It should be accompanied by a blast or a beam originating from that symbol.

Chaining all 5 of their spells together should result in 5 symbols in front of their character and a barrage of different colored particles coming from it.

While some flair is important for the really important spells, I think creativity outweighs it. The particles themselves don't need to be absolutely incredible as long as they are presented in a creative way. So far, I've seen more of that with the old particles.

Incorrect.   I have played a coercer now for 4 years and just because we cast fast doesnt mean the effect should be less than interesting.

I never said they should be, I said they pretty much HAVE to be. A complicated spell effect being repeated constantly won't only be laggy but it will be repetitive, boring and nonsensical. If you're going to be "magine gun" casting, it shouldn't look like you're starting fresh with every spell cast -- because your character actually isn't. You just basically keep them at hand instead of clearing your mind of them and spit out whichever ones you want to use at a whim. There's very little loading and unloading of them in your mind, they are practically always at your finger tips. A persistent particle effect from which each individual particle derives exemplifies that in a creative way, without being limited by short cast time animation restrictions.

Jaraxx tells you, 'Why did you die? Man up. Ask for DI from your priests'

You tell Jaraxx, 'I had a "save" running..'

http://tinyurl.com/PaladinFeedback
Maergoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:02 AM   #131
Aurel

Book Goddess

[email protected] wrote:

EDIT : I just found out... It's Lich!

Without lich I see it only on Bloodcloud and Consumption when it ticks

Lich... hahahaha!... I would have never figured that out!

Well, if the effect remains on lich (*giggle*  I feel silly not realizing that)...  I can just live without lich!

Old 08-04-2010, 07:53 AM   #132
Kilnger

Loremaster

To preface this, I want to say that I did my testing at level 69 using a mix of apprentice and master abilities. Almost all of my nukes, save one, were universally apprentice, as I am an inquisitor class and rely entirely on CAs. I cast a spell multiple times, cooldown permitting, and generally did everything in my power to look at them. I also ran max quality/max particles.

Now, my interpretation of inquisitor has always been a militant, commanding leader/presence that motivates others through an extremely forceful personality. Among all the classes, the one phrase that pops into mind for inquisitor is, without a doubt, "The beatings will continue until morale improves." This is not to say that inquisitors are cruel and merciless, instead they are the epitome of bluntness and efficiency; a drill sergeant, if you will.

A recurring theme within the inquisitor, both in fiction and in this game is fire. A fun spell lights their group on fire, the original Heretic's Doom (which I miss) caused the entire group to light on fire, they light people on fire to purify them....they may not be wizard level pyromaniacs, but fire is a pretty versatile tool. Likewise, the color scheme that has persisted through their armor and spells has generally gravitated towards dark red and black, fierce colors.

Of all the animations, I've an overall problem with the whole feel. To me, after looking through all of them (save Inquisition), it genuinely operates like two seperate teams were given a series of abilities and told to change them, even in class. One team kept thematic and interesting, doing what they could to salvage what many (including myself) feel are fairly low res and flat abilities. Another team made liberal use of the copy paste function, spending only enough time to change the colors and move on.

To get down to specifics, I want to start off with what was done right. Purifying Flames and Heretic's Doom are my key winners of everything, creating a real sense of shock and awe that the inquisitor didn't have before. The former causes a small spark to ignite at the chest of the target which immediately causes them to engulf into flames. The flame remains on them for some time (5-10 seconds) and they cringe and writhe in agony. At Apprentice, this is still very thematic and fits the mood. Heretic's Doom, likewise, causes a sudden spark which explodes into a COLUMN of fiery death. The animation's over quick, but you get the distinct sensation of "BURN THE HERETICS!" that fits into the inquisitor's character overall. As an honorable mention, Fanaticism gets points for a particularly dazzling ending which features a pulsing light coming from the Inquisitor (and presumably the rest of the group). The beginning of the spell is rather boring, though.

This is more a sidenote then anything, but I do love Swill/Unending Breath with the bubble forming over the head. Kudos.

That being said, with the good comes mountains upon mountains of blah. In my opinion, Inquisitors have two main class defining spells plus reactives. These spells, Inquest and Verdict, are immediately recognizable when cast on you/the enemy and emphasize the inquisitor's zealousness. Inquest, on live, has one of my favorite animations (waving hands around in the circle, come down with both in the middle i.e. the totem animation) and, as a result, causes a giant pulsing tentacle to whip around the ally while they cringe in fear. When you strike someone (and this part could obviously have used some love), the definitive mez sound plays as you suction power from them (Pain of Confession). On test, the inquisitor's hands glow blue while they cast default spell animation (hands going up and down) and little wisps curl up and into the target. Pain of Confession is just a little glow with the traditional heal sound.

Wait, what? You're imbuing, frightening, your target with the very wrath of your god to go out and -force- the enemies to confess their faults....and it's accompanied by silver wisps?! Pain of Confession I can forgive, and I realize that this is just a buff (that is reapplied every death), but COME ON. Pusling tentacle that causes fear and confusion in your ally versus...swirling wisps and little circles around you. In my opinion, this ability should cause the target to catch on fire, ala Unholy Fear, and force the target's hands/weapons to glow blood red monentarily. This is a class defining and powerful buff that reduces a class whose chief weapon is surprise and fear to one that, well, I have no clue what it's supposed to be.

The other one, verdict, is more a giant dose of "[Removed for Content]?" The original verdict is a judge's gavel banging down onto the target, a rather massive gavel at that. On test, it's the exact same animation except miniaturized above the target's head. Now, something funny about Verdict, you never get an upgrade (Save for ranks) and once you cast it, you will only ever see it once since the battle is obviously over. At Expert, please explain why we get a little squeaky toy hammer and not a big one? Or really, why did this even get changed at all? Giant hammer strikes on the target, rendering its judgement. Death. Moving along.

My last -monumental- gripe about the class is reactives. Now, I've been playing since a little before DoF (I quit temporarily for RoK/TSO) and the thing that has always stuck with me is the heals. Just from watching a fight, you -know- when the class heals go off both in sound and appearance. While reactives were always the weirdest (in Soviet Russia, giant helmet and shield protect you!), their sound and appearance was absolutely unmistakeable. You felt protected, safe, and you knew they were there. When I first cast Penance and Malevolent Diatribe on test, I had to check if particles were turned on. Then I had to check the quality of the spell (one was adept and one was master).

Why do I dance when I cast Malevolent Diatribe? Why are the effects so muted? Why are we gold colored? What happens is that a (brief) spark of golden light shines above the character raining golden sparkles down, they then gain a temporary golden sheen (that is very bright at master) and nothing else happens. It's sneeze and miss it sound file as well. When did an inquisitor become a templar and rain golden sprinkles and sparkles on other people? What happened to the satisfying *BOOOOOOONNG!* of normal reactives with the swirling suction away after a cast? The new soundfile is particularly terrible when you chain cast them (which, as they are our reactives, we will be doing) because the wind chime...thing...sound accompanying the shimmer cuts off violently to resume.

This is inexcusable. What's worse is that there's a perfectly amazing and well done reactive alternative....as our emergency single reactive. It's extremely obvious that Team A, the one that was trying to keep thematic, designed Radiance while Team B designed Penance, Malevolent Diatribe, and Evidence of Faith. As far as I can tell, they all have fundamentally the same exact animation. Radiance's glow should be the BASE appearance for reactives (it causes a golden glow to surge out of the target's chest, and it remains for about five seconds) and make Penance, Malevolent Diatribe and Evidence of Faith (and a new Radiance) from there. The visual recognition is -extremely- important and Radiance more then proves that it can be done WITHOUT being imposing. Templars should be Gold and Silver Glows for Group/Single and Inquisitors should be Black/Red. I feel exceptionally bad for anyone wearing any manner of silver or gold armor, since you'll never otherwise be able to tell when a normal reactive is running (I should point out that Radiance has an alternative of the live reactive sound, and works just fine for what it does).

One side note, Fervent Faith was fun how it was. CC Breaker showed the Inquisitor catching fire/glowing red and breaking free. If you must redo this, just give is Crusader CC breaker animation with us catching fire and call it a day. Higher rank spells = more fire. Repetitive Buff Animation_02 is not acceptable for something like this.

The buffs, as have said by virtually everyone else, are extremely repetitive, boring, and dull. See live except worse looking in terms of quality. Divine Awakening has to be one of the most hilarious spells I've ever cast, since it feels like something Clippy would do. To give a brief description, the inquisitor's hands glow red, they perform Tradiitional Conjurer Summon_00 spell cast, and then an itty bitty chalice with the sound of "Ohhh!" pops over the head. Blink and miss it hilarity. Ding! You has Essence! At the very least, add the hand from healing spells in game over the chalice or make it tip over and pour liquid, -something-

Nuke and debuff wise, it's fundamentally impossible to make heads or tails of what's going on. At apprentice to adept, they're universally "blink or miss it" abilities while at master, it's still somewhat hard to tell. Vengeance, Dogma, and Repentance are (surprisingly) varied, though with how often Vengeance triggers you'd be shocked to hear the machine gun level sounds. Invocation is near impossible to see what it looks like on any enemy bigger then a human, same with Litany and Torment (I tested them on an elephant and didn't even notice the spells going off). Soothe is pretty awesome and fitting the spell as it should be. I couldn't even tell you what Smite Corruption's animation was since it lasted no more then a second with a shimmer. Same with Deny at all ranks and apprentice level Condemn (start the latter off with the Master effect then work from there). Forced Obedience was passable.

The lsat thing I want to talk about is Incarcerate and Tormenting Conversion. I gotta admit, the former felt very thematic and interesitng (giant golden bars shoot up around the target, jailing them in), even though I miss the awesome giant skeletal hands (which just flat out look better, but not thematic). Make the bars a more silver/steel color and, for the love of everything, make the effect persist until it wears off! I realize the hands didn't do that, but this is a -very- visual effect that -should- maintain for the short duration for the root. Tormenting Conversion made me chuckle as the enemy ran off with skulls pulsing around their head. Perhaps make 'em catch fire or have a fiery crown or something during the mez, just to make it more obvious.

Beyond that, I really need to echo what everyone else has been saying: These things -need- to be optional. I can fully appreciate and understand the lower res/better performance these things could bring, but some of these really break the flow and feel of the classes we've come to know and love. Muscle memory, accompanied by visual and audio  recognition is hardcoded into many, many players and it's simply a matter of reacting to sounds and sight we know and are comfortable with. It's plainly obvious that all the mobs retain these animations, so there's zero reason that we cannot choose to retain them ourselves. If we're forced to accept this, it's going to be a painful and awkward few weeks, even months, for us to relearn and gain new muscle memories and reactions to things that, quite frankly, are just extremely repetitive. I can't even begin to feel bad for magi if my nukes are so terrible, save the two. Despite even liking some of the abilities, I'd fully suggest an all or nothing switch, you choose what spells/animations you see for -everyone- and call it a day.

Thanks for reading.

Edit Protip: Do not post while exhausted. Typos galore.

Maestra Kilandara Zomerana Troubadour
The Maestro of Darkshine Initiative
A lack of a fancy signature makes one strong with the force.
Kilnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #133
Gilli
Server: Blackburrow
Guild: Mithril Web

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Mezz is a bit underwhelming. Something over head to flag a mezzed mob would be nice.

+1.  I'd love to be able to say "see that rainbow swirly?"  It means the mob is mezzed!" and then explain the benefits to tthose who have never played with an enchanter who actually mezzes before (or have a clue how/why/when it can help).  And while you're tweaking mezzes, build turning off autoattack into the script.

One more thing, too.

Please communicate in the patch notes that spell effects upgrade with mastery level.  I think this will help the market for expert and master level abilities from levels 1-79.   Don't leave out this important detail, you will have disappointed people thinking the Apprentice effect is all they will get.

Gilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #134
Guy De Alsace

Loremaster

I copied my Ranger and Templar over today ( both 90) in the vain hope something might be alright. Storm and Stream of Arrows were ok.

All the other effects were terrible. Most were barely even noticable. I thought my Ranger was bad until I loaded my Templar.

Oh my god.

What have you done to this game guys?

These effects are nothing short of disastrously bad. I thought I'd post something constructive so here goes:

LEAVE THE OLD EFFECTS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

Sorry but that is the most constructive thing I can think of to say.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #135
Iskandar

Loremaster

Maergoth wrote:

A complicated spell effect being repeated constantly won't only be laggy but it will be repetitive, boring and nonsensical.

The same (except for the laggy part) can be said for a very simple spell effect as well. I found the new combat effects for Fury, Paladin and Necro (all I've gotten around to testing so far) to be very... plain. There were a few that stood out with a little extra oomph , but most were simply a two or three second color shift over the mob's skin with some tiny little sparkle over my head. That's... well, that's... umm... yeah.

Perhaps I have a lucky configuration in Options, but I currently raid with particle effects on at Very High quality (terrain and player textures are at High) and I love it! (Machine-wise, I have a 2.4ghz quad core with 4gb of ram and a 9600GT running Win7.. a decent machine, yes, but at 3 years old it's far from top of the line) As they are now on Live, a raid with full effects looks great -- heck, it looks epic! And yes, even with all the lighning, fire, and blasts of power and force, I can see the mob just fine. I experience no lag or loss of FPS as compared to an overland zone. The only time I see a performance hit is in heavily scripted encounters, such as TSO's Ykesha or Ernax in Labs (and Ernax has gotten much smoother since SF was released).

Personally, I'd rather see more options for players who can't play as I do to tone down the effects better than the current system allows, so that they too can experience that same epic feel. Replacing all the magical fury we have now with a lot of shimmery skin effects is just... plain... in comparisson.

Iskandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #136
Anastasie

Loremaster

For Fury - I also noticed that the Call of Storms (our big blue ae spell) was changed to the same weak graphic as Thunderbolt (our single target big nuke). They have been changed to a very weak, thin flash of electricity.  It's just too thin to represent either of these spells.  Calls of Storms on live has a great graphic, but this new one doesn't even suggest it's a blue ae hitting multiple targets.  Please beef these up and distinguish our single target from our ae spells.

Also - just to reiterate. Please change Hibernation from a tree to a hibernating animal animation like a bear or something and please change Back into the Fray back to the animated lion instead of the Hibernation tree. Those 2 spells have nothing to do with each other and most definately should not share the same graphic.

Anastasie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #137
Yimway

Loremaster

I'm not going to nit-pick over any of this, I just have one question.

With these changes are all particle effects finally moved to the GPU?

If not, why are we bothering?

Old 08-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #138
Gungo

Loremaster

For bruisers the particle effects were always lackluster. Although the new effects are better. What draws me to this class is the animations more then the particles. 

Blaze kick has a new animation which is great. One hundred hand punch could use an animation that punches the target extremely fast consecutive hits. I do like the ghosting effect it has though.Bonebreaker and Savage assault have extremely similar effects. Savage assualt could use the ghosting effect OR Have savage assault given a more dynamic animation

Alternative advancement (feedback for abilites not touched yet)Drag is an ability you havent touched yet but I would love to see it have an effect similar to scorpian in mortal Kombat where the bruiser throws a spear/rope at the target and pulls the target toward him.   

I would like to see crane sweep turned into a leg sweep effect instead of reusing the aoe animation the third time. I would like to see baton flurry turn into a hammer animation with the brawler fists dropping down on the target.I would like to see pressure point turn into the beginning sequence for dreadnaut kata with his hands poking at the target in rapid succession. Eagle spin should be a high side punch animation wild beating should be a spin motion with the bruiser having  both his hands extended. Staggering blow should be a jump and foward punch animation. 

Gungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #139
Gungo

Loremaster

nt

Gungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #140
Sydares

Loremaster

Travleer33 wrote:

This is all I care about. Firework spell effects looked terrible.

Bravo, art team.

Sydares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #141
Sydares

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I'd really like to know that, too.

Sydares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #142
Myrien
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Mayhem

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

To make the game look and feel more like WoW, of course.

Myrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #143
Aerfen
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Felwithe Freedom Fighters

Loremaster

Ok I copied over to test to see what all the fuss was about for myself.  I was very, very disappointed that some of my favorite spell animations had been changed, and not for the better...

Devs, please consider an option for those of us that like our spells animations and have no problem with our graphics.  A toggle option would be wonderful.  Your time and effort are greatly appreciated.

-Aerfen

Thank you for giving carpenters building blocks!! - Lady Aerfen
Aerfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:30 AM   #144
xpraetorianx

Fansite Staff

Just thought I would add on to this thread... every class is different...  to give you guys an idea...

Coercer's had almost NO noticeable spell effects for the last 5 years.  Heck even Shockwave our biggest nuke didnt really have much of anything... so with this update... ANYTHING is better than what we HAVE had... but I think the general consensus is that the effects need to have some kind of "awe" along with it.

There are a few classes that have had the luxury of actually HAVING real spell effects for a long time and I think thats where most of the posts are from in here.. lots of warlocks, lots of necros, lots of wizards..ect ect.

Classes that have had spell effects..anything short of mind blowing is gonna be a disappointment to them..   For me, sure i was expecting things a little more flashy but heck... my toon actually has real effects now at any rate.

xpraetorianx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:09 AM   #145
jimibar

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Devs, please consider an option for those of us that like our spells animations and have no problem with our graphics.  A toggle option would be wonderful.  Your time and effort are greatly appreciated.

-Aerfen

I had the information from an official. Dev team won't put this option. They are releasing the new system and you won't have the choice.

I'm sad ...

Old 08-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #146
Josgar

Loremaster

Invisibility's new casting animation on the conjuror is very pretty and definitely an upgrade.

Josgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #147
Yimway

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

To make the game look and feel more like WoW, of course.

No, if the processing isn't moved to the GPU with the updates, then the vast majority of players will play with them turned off, just as they do with the current ones.

I'm just curious if all this effort is being put into updating them without the most important part (the performance) not being addressed.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #148
Guy De Alsace

Loremaster

Only time I heard someone say they turned them off or lowered them was in raids. The rest of the time they are in full technicolour. On my current machine I can and do have them on max during raids as well for a laugh. Its only a modest machine as well.

Epic spells are part of games like this. Nobody wants to play a toon that has feeble effects or looks like a tramp. I'm reassured the animation guy is tweaking the new animations apparently.  

Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #149
iceriven2

Loremaster

My thoughts on Wizards

Overall i perfer a slight reduction in particle effects but greatly endorse the use of them on each classes big/main spells.  Case of Wizards, thats Ice comet, Fusion, Ball of fire.

Ice Comet - Overall its a decent start, but too small with little bang.  I noticed after hrs of testing several of my alts, the Comet actually forms above, suggest moving the forming comet down on the Z axis Slightly so its more visable.   Also the formation of the comet can use some more effects on it. And MUCH larger Comet. Still too small.  The after effect(when it lands and hits the mob) is nice but again, has a small impact for a big spell.  Thinking something like the old lightning spells , the ones where when the strike the mob/ground you see rocks fly out.  Add something like that.  

Ball of Fire - Overall better, but the impact on the you and mob is small.  Maybe have a chard effect with more Fire/smoke colors on impact and something while casting.

Solar Flare - I Dont mind a "beam" effect but the one in place feels more technology based then magic based>  I believe b/c it looks more like a multi colored beam that would come from a ray gun.  My suggestion would be to start over.  keep the beam idea, but make a white crackling beam zig zag to the mob while casting and then use mutli colored stuff to swirl around the beam and upon impact  you get a final impact effect, small blast effect on the mob.

Piercing Icicle/Flames of Velious - I like the smaller ice effects but i think there too small,  Make them a little larger. 

Glacial winds - old effect is liked by many, best to repeat that in some way.

Magma Chamber - needs more of an impact, doesnt feel like there is a stun to it especially since it shares the same effect  from our fire dot.

Casting ring - i dont like that the casting ring/ circle rune is in front and back of you.  Its still annoying even after several days of trying it out.  Suggest placing it at the casters feet for everything.  If you want to make the magic type more noticable, increase the size of the ring at your feet

Also, minor suggestion is the new animations have little connection and impact.  Magic just appears from you in some way shape or form, then hits the mob in some way shape or form, but most spells show little impact on the mob.  Even if its small effect you dont see it.  Blast the mob with a beam, the beam should show a chard mark, some smoke, some crackling energy, but instead nothing.  Gives the spells a very large feeling of diconnect.  Doesnt feel real.  Feals very fake actually.   Dispite the Huge particles in the old effects,  You felt the impact, and what your spells did.  That i think is super important, without it, could have far more reaching impact on gamers than just turning off the spells.

iceriven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #150
Diern

General

I hope sony has the sense to make this optional. because these new effects don't suit the art style of the game, not one bit I am sorry. Do you guys realize this is one of the best features of your game which makes it stand out from other mmo's? If this is not optional I am sure you will lose subscriptions over this. I am sorry to sound overly critical but this is all a bit heart wrenching.

There are many problems that need to be addressed with the graphics before you touch the spell effects, especially with such a bland and 2 dimensional update such as this. How about.

Hair/Fur

A new Flora system 

Combat animations.

I could go on. But basically if this is for Performance, I think it's best you focused on other aspects of the game so running these effects is not such and issue. Why not just move the current engine off to the GPU? (I understand thats a lot of work but....)

So far the only positive is the fact that they animate faster, which makes the combat look a little more fluid with some actual combat animations having a chance to trigger sometimes.

Other than that though I actually get worse performance with these new effects and some stuttering in the AOE's for a trade off of worse graphical quality that doesn't fit the shadowknight concept or environment or the game. I am sorry but even Eq1 has betetr particle effects than these. This feels more like an anime style of system that doesnt fit this world.

Why would you got to the extent to change something like this? I think this thread speaks in volumes. I think I counted maybe 3 people who are pleased with the changes in 10 pages. If it's for performance, I will just turn them down or off. I dont need a nerf to the visual quality of the effects.

Shadowknight Spells for the most part are a HUGE disappointment. I am not going to single much in the way of examples because they are all without exception 100x times worse than the old ones.

All life tap effects are absolutely abysmal. The crossed bones it is constantly triggering on a shadowknight (and sometimes all the enemies in an encounter) due to procs and ward and it looks absolutely tacky and stupid. The disease spells I guess suit the green bile like effect but I miss all the actual darkness and skulls effect the originals had.

All the new spell effects I have seen in general look like a big step backwards visually. My friend was watching me play on live the other day and commented on how nice the particle effects looked in this game compared to other mmo's. They had a "realistic" feel which suited the games environment and graphical quality. Now they are very cartoon like.

I don't see how this is an improvement. With the recent frame rate improvements I have been able to run the game with the old effects at a much better quality than ever before. These new effects actually look worse and stutter my pc.

I am sure some spells have seen an improvement, but for the SK, it's a huge leap in the wrong direction.

Again I implore you, if this must go live please let us choose which system we wish to see. Call the new engine SOGA Particle effects or something.

Diern is offline   Reply With Quote