EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Look and Feel
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
ZUES

Loremaster

The official announcement seen HERE.

I must say that I am deeply saddened by this decision. Wikia is a fantastic site, but it takes 20 minutes to load a page since they have so much advertisement spam. I'm sorry, but that decision will result in the opposite of it's intended purpose. Placed this in "Look and Feel" because it feels like this is a tragic mistake for a company desiring a vibrant and active commmunity. Our forums and quest guides should not be filled with advertisements! The forums are about to go to hell in a handbasket and that will have a direct effect on gameplay.

ZUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Neiloch

Loremaster

AdBlock Plus

Old 10-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

You can judge alot by a web company by the advertisers they allow to brand on their site.

Using said method of evaluation, Wikia are the scum of the earth.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Mohee

Lord

I don't use wikia anymore just because of the recent bombardment of adds everytime you visit.

I used to go there for the information, it was simple, clean, and loaded fast. 

Now its hard to even find the information you want among all the adds that are EVERYWHERE! Top of the screen, the side, the middle, the bottom...... ridiculous.

Also... the wikia has been lacking  information for a TON of quests for many years. I thought about contributing data, but then the adds came...

And no... im not installing some internet browser add on to dance around their adds. They lose my views, plain and simple. 

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
ZUES

Loremaster

Well said Mohee.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

Its not just the shear volume of ads, but also the fact that its not uncommon for those ads to be virus bombs.

To me what is sad is there are plenty of community sites available that are run by EQ2 enthusiasts that they could have partnered with.  Wikia isn't excited about EQ2, they're excited about more traffic to get ad click thrus.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Ulrichvon wrote:

Its not just the shear volume of ads, but also the fact that its not uncommon for those ads to be virus bombs.

To me what is sad is there are plenty of community sites available that are run by EQ2 enthusiasts that they could have partnered with.  Wikia isn't excited about EQ2, they're excited about more traffic to get ad click thrus.

HOSTSMan and MVPHosts.  Never, ever see ads on any site.

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Ulrichvon wrote:

I'm well aware of how to block ads.

That really isn't the point I was making, teaming up with a web company that willingly allows virus bomb ads to pay to be on their site, isn't exactly an award winning partnership for a company like SoE to make.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Ulrichvon wrote:

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Ulrichvon wrote:

I'm well aware of how to block ads.

That really isn't the point I was making, teaming up with a web company that willingly allows virus bomb ads to pay to be on their site, isn't exactly an award winning partnership for a company like SoE to make.

I don't they willingly let them appear.  Like most companies providing ads, there is always a chance of a rogue group, person, or company that could pay for an ad rotation that includes a trojan.  It's happened on Google, Yahoo, Bing, and Facebook ad networks.  That's why I block all ads regardless of source.

If you run into a bad ad it pays to contact the webmaster the ad is shown on.  Zam had some bad ads pop up over the past year and was prompt to block them after being alerted.

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

I don't they willingly let them appear.  Like most companies providing ads, there is always a chance of a rogue group, person, or company that could pay for an ad rotation that includes a trojan.  It's happened on Google, Yahoo, Bing, and Facebook ad networks.  That's why I block all ads regardless of source.

For sure they can, however most companies will remove the offender within hours.  Wikia will let them go for a week.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
Drumstix

Loremaster

1. You say that they are the scum of the earth, yet millions of people use their essentially "free" informational websites daily. What do you expect?

2. If you can't be bothered to take 20 seconds to find a loopwhole in ad avoidance, but took the 20 seconds to post about it, you're not helping my viewpoint on your way of thinking.

3. Here's the amazing kicker btw:

We would like to remind people, that if you are a registered user, and logged in, you will NOT see any ads, other than on the main page.--Admins

Sounds like it's time for someone to create an account already, and maybe submit some of your own contributions to this free service. Sorry you have to look at ads on ONE page. Oh the agony.

Cheers.

[DrumsUI] author @ EQ2Interface.com
Drumstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Sounds like it's time for someone to create an account already, and maybe submit some of your own contributions to this free service. Sorry you have to look at ads on ONE page. Oh the agony.

Cheers.

I don't use the site at all, however I've had to assist quite a few people who do use it and obtained malware from it.

So yes, I have a great deal of contempt for the site, and I think it speaks poorly of a corporation like SoE to partner with such slimy folks.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
ZUES

Loremaster

Ulrichvon wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Cheers.

I don't use the site at all, however I've had to assist quite a few people who do use it and obtained malware from it.

So yes, I have a great deal of contempt for the site, and I think it speaks poorly of a corporation like SoE to partner with such slimy folks.

/like button

Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
Drumstix

Loremaster

Yes, how dare they attempt to bridge an informational website into their circle of information.

I'm sure the Malware just installed itself out of thin air. Couldn't of been any other website, I'm sure.

[DrumsUI] author @ EQ2Interface.com
Drumstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #15
WanyenII

Loremaster

Thanks for this. 

I definately value the wiki concept and the value wikia in particular has contributed to my gaming experience over the years in EQ2.

Perhaps the concerns over ads could be best addressed by having SOE provide adequate sponsership so, at the least, players who access the site via in-game browsing methods would have an ad-free and format friendly experience.

WanyenII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #16
Seidhkona

Loremaster

I write a lot of quest walk throughs for EQ2i. I don't even SEE the ads, much less get malware. Why? Because I use the Ad Blocker Plus plug-in for Firefox, and when I need to look something up on the wiki, I window out and open Firefox.I recognize that this denies Wikia some ad revenue. Oh, well.

Even without ABP, you can disable all scripts (NOscript plugin). You can use an adequate antivirus program. Etc.

I personally wish that Wikia would police their ads better. The EQ2i mods have absolutely NO INFLUENCE over the ads. If you encounter a spammy malware-ridden ad, yeah, report it to Wikia. But better yet, just don't view the ads at all.