EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Tradeskill Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Proud_Silence

Loremaster

Was crafting a cloak for someone, when my cat decided to hunt down the fly at the wall near me, so she leaped on my desk over my hands and (of course) on numlock....the 3 sec it took me to react and stop walking were long enough to abort my craft due to range, the item at third stage finished, i get the metallic hide back and all 6 fabled ingredients gone...

So to avoid being seen as a scammer i got to use 4 of my own ingredients and buy 2 dragon scales for 770 and 850pp....needless to say i'm fairly disgusted at this. Sure in the end its my fault for aborting the craft process, but don't you get a lot of petitions of frustrated people over things like this ?

Regards, a dissapointed customer

Proud_Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Neonblue

Loremaster

This same thing happened to me.  I somehow lost a crafting for someone on the scout cloak.  And it used all the mats.  What was weird is I swear I was at max durability, not sure what happened, but I thought oh well, until I realized I lost all my dragon hides.

I asked in server chat and everyone seemed to be confused and had no idea that that could happen. I thought it strange that you could get totally screwed by someone crafitng for you if something out of their control happened.

Neonblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Xianthia

Loremaster

You should probably petition this and maybe get the items back.  I think this was an issue early on Skyshrine release, but I believe it was later fixed or at least was posted that it was going to be fixed...

Things like this worry me, I do some commission stuff when I'm on and I catch the occassional person asking for items to be crafted.  I don't want to be crafting something and lose the items, that's just bad.

(going to see if I can find the post)

Xianthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
Lemilla
Server: Permafrost
Guild: Issari Laoris

Loremaster

That shouldn't be as intended.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=518962http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=519118

TRADESKILLS

Rare GU63 recipe combines now reward the rare component back if the recipe is canceled instead of fuel.

Lemilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
feldon30

Fansite Staff

[email protected] wrote:

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=518962http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=519118

TRADESKILLS

• Rare GU63 recipe combines now reward the rare component back if the recipe is canceled instead of fuel.

That is an inadequate fix. almost ALL of the materials used to make these recipes are rare. If you buy the materials on the open market, it is typical to spend 700-1200 plat or more. Being refunded only 1 of these pieces, and typically not even the rarest one, is not right.

I'd petition until they give you ALL the materials back.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

Proud_Silence wrote:

Was crafting a cloak for someone, when my cat decided to hunt down the fly at the wall near me, so she leaped on my desk over my hands and (of course) on numlock....the 3 sec it took me to react and stop walking were long enough to abort my craft due to range, the item at third stage finished, i get the metallic hide back and all 6 fabled ingredients gone...

So to avoid being seen as a scammer i got to use 4 of my own ingredients and buy 2 dragon scales for 770 and 850pp....needless to say i'm fairly disgusted at this. Sure in the end its my fault for aborting the craft process, but don't you get a lot of petitions of frustrated people over things like this ?

Regards, a dissapointed customer

Moral of the story, never do this type of combine without a potion of innovation.

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Moral of the story: make sure the kitty is not in the room when you're crafting rare items ...

Seriously, that sucks, & I'd petition for all 6 mats to be returned.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
Meirril

Loremaster

Freejazzlive wrote:

Moral of the story: make sure the kitty is not in the room when you're crafting rare items ...

Moral of the story is there is a small element of risk involved in any combine. Charge appropriately.

Meirril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Filly67

Loremaster

Meirril wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

Moral of the story is there is a small element of risk involved in any combine. Charge appropriately.

So we should be charging 2,000 plat in case we loose the items and need to replace them?  Yeah, that makes sense.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Filly67 wrote:

Meirril wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

So we should be charging 2,000 plat in case we loose the items and need to replace them?  Yeah, that makes sense.

This.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
Meirril

Loremaster

Filly67 wrote:

Meirril wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

If nothing really out of the ordinary happens a competent 92 crafter has a 100% chance of success with 5-6% chance of getting all materials back. The chance of something catastrophic happening like loosing your internet connection, lagging so badly you can't counter events, having a RNG streak of improbably epically bad proprotions (4 critical failures after you complete the 3rd bar), something happens on your end and the stop button gets hit: less than 1%.

Lets say your doing a 3 great dragons scale combine so its about 3k in materials. If your charging less than 1% Vegas odds say you arn't charging enough. That's a 30p charge. If your really betting you should be charging 5-6% because your customer can get back their materials on a commission, or you should collect the materials and craft the item to make sure you collect on the free materials. I've offered to do free combines if I got the materials. Funny thing is nobody takes me up on it.

So really, how much risk are you willing to take?

Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
WanyenII

Loremaster

It would be a different story if this was merely a harvested component coming from a common node, but these are not.  The risk was taken getting the components -- upfront, instead of on the backend.

I've had the interface bug out, where the progress bars and effect counter skill buttons disappear as soon as I started the combine, but luckily in those cases it was almost always on a spell or combat art, or similar recipe that used a common node harvested rare.  In most cases, in a crafting spec with crafting gear, the combine completed successfully.  A few times it did not and the rare was lost.  Not copletely aside from the loss of materials, there is an issue of embarrassment and loss of reputation in play too.

WanyenII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

Its been this way since the guspansion released.

Its raid crafting, and its hardcore, don't mess it up =)

Old 10-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

TRADESKILLS

Rare GU63 recipe combines now reward the rare component back if the recipe is canceled instead of fuel.

that sounds to me like jsut the rare harvestable would be returned. not all the instance drops...as it says 'component' not 'components'

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #15
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Meirril wrote:

Filly67 wrote:

Meirril wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

If nothing really out of the ordinary happens a competent 92 crafter has a 100% chance of success with 5-6% chance of getting all materials back. The chance of something catastrophic happening like loosing your internet connection, lagging so badly you can't counter events, having a RNG streak of improbably epically bad proprotions (4 critical failures after you complete the 3rd bar), something happens on your end and the stop button gets hit: less than 1%.

Lets say your doing a 3 great dragons scale combine so its about 3k in materials. If your charging less than 1% Vegas odds say you arn't charging enough. That's a 30p charge. If your really betting you should be charging 5-6% because your customer can get back their materials on a commission, or you should collect the materials and craft the item to make sure you collect on the free materials. I've offered to do free combines if I got the materials. Funny thing is nobody takes me up on it.

This has to be the most ridiculous post defending a design bug I've ever seen.

When you craft something, the rare materials should not be consumed until the crafting is completed. Period.

Crafting an item that uses 1200p or more of materials should not get a "too bad so sad" if your power blinks, the game client crashes, the server blips and you are disconnected, or if your cat walks in your keyboard. Period.

I don't even know how to respond to your idea that crafting an item with expensive materials is "hardcore" and that any failure that eats those materials is the "cost of doing business" which you should "figure into the cost". Were you a leg-breaking loan shark in a past life?

Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
Filly67

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

Meirril wrote:

Filly67 wrote:

Meirril wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

When you craft something, the rare materials should not be consumed until the crafting is completed. Period.

Crafting an item that uses 1200p or more of materials should not get a "too bad so sad" if your power blinks, the game client crashes, the server blips and you are disconnected, or if your cat walks in your keyboard. Period.

I don't even know how to respond to your idea that crafting an item with expensive materials is "hardcore" and that any failure that eats those materials is the "cost of doing business" which you should "figure into the cost". Were you a leg-breaking loan shark in a past life?

Thank you Feldon for responding to this.  You said exactly what I was feeling but Meirill's point in this discussion was so off base I was literally speechless.  Which honestly rarely happens to me.  Especially on this forum.

Raw materials are saved fuel is spent.  That's the way it has always been.  To validate this being handled incorrectly in the discussed scenario when hard earned items and plat are at stake is insane.  I have to assume that this person is just posting these opinions to be contrary.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #17
Kuulei

Tester

I have been making them via commission window and so far my cat only pounces the keyboads when I am grouping / raiding and not crafting.  I hope she don't read your post and get any ideas

I would petition that and also do a /bug

Old 10-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #18
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

Filly67 wrote:

Meirril wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

Failure is on the crafter imo, so you should be prepared to purchase replacement materials in the event you fail at making the item.  This is the way it was at launch, when if you failed it ate the rare (the primary component).  That was when rares were truly rare.  you need to charge what will generate enough income to cover your expenses.

The key to me is you know ahead of time what can happen on failure, so be prepared and use a potion of innovation if it is truly an expensive combine to 'cover your bases'.

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #19
feldon30

Fansite Staff

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Failure is on the crafter imo, so you should be prepared to purchase replacement materials in the event you fail at making the item.  This is the way it was at launch, when if you failed it ate the rare (the primary component).  That was when rares were truly rare.  you need to charge what will generate enough income to cover your expenses.

The key to me is you know ahead of time what can happen on failure, so be prepared and use a potion of innovation if it is truly an expensive combine to 'cover your bases'.

However eloquently you put it, you are still excusing a design flaw.

Commission crafting was fixed YEARS ago not to eat the rare. Do you want that to go back to how it was?

Do you even tradeskill?

Old 10-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #20
Mermut

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

I don't know about others, but I know I don't have thousands of plat lying around to purchase insanely expsneive materials on the freak occasion of a connection loss or massive enough lag spike to cover failing on such a recipe with 6 very exspensive rare components...

Old 10-06-2012, 03:14 AM   #21
WanyenII

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Filly67 wrote:

Meirril wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

It might almost be worth getting banned to literally tell ya off for being such a knucklehead, but I won't.

There is an implementation error in current tier crafted recipes.  It is deemed an error, because current behavior breaks sharply with the pattern in place before for all other relevant failed combines.  It is that simple.

A crafter can screw up, or things can go out of their control in all manner and may interfere with the crafting process.  Acts of nature if you must.   There was no negligence, no ill-will, no malicious intent, no ineptitude. 

To hell with your combine and your components, if you want to blame me for a power outage, a phone or cable company outage, someone digging up the street who cuts wires, someone in the house unexpectedly resetting a shared router or modem, a server down, a or what I have experienced, a buggy interface, good luck.  Being the kind of guy I am I would work with ya to petition for recovery, and if its a reasonably priced item that you wanted, I -may- supply the mats and make it for you, but beyond that find some other sucker, or buy it off my broker with some markup over the cost of components so I don't have to deal with you.  I certainly didn't need the thing you wanted made. 

I would consider a roaming cat an act of nature in this context.  I would consider a curious child who pecks at the wrong button or cabling an act of nature in this context.  These are things that happen in the [now] typical gaming environment for many people.  Putting the burden on crafters is wrong and bad.

WanyenII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #22
desaril11

Loremaster

I was commissioning a raid earring the other day, and the crafters UI bugged, the combine was lost and all I got back was the osmium cluster.  We BOTH petitioned. And I got all of my mats back.  So its just a matter of filling out the form, and letting the GM refund you. 

Old 10-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #23
Meirril

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

Meirril wrote:

Filly67 wrote:

Meirril wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

Lets go down the list. 1) This isn't a bug. If you look at the recipe the harvested component is clearly the "primary" component. The dropped components are also clearly secondary components. When you fail a combine the dev sets what you get back. On handcrafted and shard recipes that was set to the fuel. On MC recipes that was set to the primary component. The current crafting dev made a choice and chose to return the harvested component. While I think this was a particullarly bad choice it was obviously made and intended or we would be getting back NOTHING on a failure. You can call this bad design, you can call it short-sighted. You can not call this decision a bug.

2) We're making something new here. If we follow the progression handcrafted returns the fuel. Note: the most "expensive" portion of most handcrafted items are the resources. But the only reason the resources have any value is because we put it there. Nevemind that you can't buy most roots for less than a gold each, you get back 6c worth of fuel because that made sense to the devs. In MC the primary component was the choice. In shard recipes the fuel (shards) were the choice again. Fabled recipes *should* entail some loss. The fuel component is laughable. Heck, the harvested component is laughable. Why it was chosen to be returned is almost an insult to the crafter *but* it isn't like there is a fair determiner in any other case. What do you return? The 3 componet? The 2 component? The signle component? The hardest to obtain drops fall into all 3 categories over different recipes. There is no *fair* way to determin what to return unless your going to go through and customize it for every recipe. Unless you suggest that there should be a no-risk combine which begs the question of why bother to require a combine at all?

3) Answer the question: What is it worth to you if you fail a fabled combine? What price are you willing to pay for failure? If your answer is none then we should NEVER have recived these combines and everything I've argued for the past 5 years was a waste of time. If you want the big reward, it comes with risks. If you arn't willing to risk why should you get the reward?

4) I'm consistant. I really want us to be able to craft things that are in demand. If this is what dev thinks is fair, I'm willing to agree. Obviously I'm in the minority, but I think its because I think of this differently than the rest of you. I'm not thinking about myself, I'm thinking about crafting over all and its role in EQ2. These recipes mark a transition into something new. If we make enough of a stink about the risks, this might be the very last time we see fabled recipes. Did you take that into consideration?

Old 10-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #24
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Meirril wrote:

3) Answer the question: What is it worth to you if you fail a fabled combine? What price are you willing to pay for failure? If your answer is none then we should NEVER have recived these combines and everything I've argued for the past 5 years was a waste of time. If you want the big reward, it comes with risks. If you arn't willing to risk why should you get the reward?

4) I'm consistant. I really want us to be able to craft things that are in demand. If this is what dev thinks is fair, I'm willing to agree. Obviously I'm in the minority, but I think its because I think of this differently than the rest of you. I'm not thinking about myself, I'm thinking about crafting over all and its role in EQ2. These recipes mark a transition into something new. If we make enough of a stink about the risks, this might be the very last time we see fabled recipes. Did you take that into consideration?

The chance of losing 1,200+ plat of materials because of a power blink, the EQ2 client crashing, an EQ2 server going down or a zone crashing, or an internet disconnection has NOTHING to do with the challenge or desirability of these items.

There are few certain things in this world, but I can ABSOLUTELY 100% GUARANTEE you that the chance of accidentally losing all the materials was NOT figured into the power and balance of these items.

You seem to believe that if SOE changed it so that failing these combines meant you got all the materials back, they would reduce the power of these items. I don't believe that for a second.

You've just made it my life's mission to get this issue resolved. I'll talk to every dev at Fan Faire who will listen. Thanks.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #25
Meirril

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

Meirril wrote:

The chance of losing 1,200+ plat of materials because of a power blink, the EQ2 client crashing, an EQ2 server going down or a zone crashing, or an internet disconnection has NOTHING to do with the challenge or desirability of these items.

There are few certain things in this world, but I can ABSOLUTELY 100% GUARANTEE you that the chance of accidentally losing all the materials was NOT figured into the power and balance of these items.

You seem to believe that if SOE changed it so that failing these combines meant you got all the materials back, they would reduce the power of these items. I don't believe that for a second.

You've just made it my life's mission to get this issue resolved. I'll talk to every dev at Fan Faire who will listen. Thanks.

Power ballancing the items? Certainly not. The decision to give these recipes to crafters? Possibly. You are aware that the developers and proudcers of the game have had brief experiments with giving some fabled recipes to crafters, and that after every attempt they back off and discontinue that effort. Do you know why? Neither do I. But I do know that every time there has been a large amount of arguing for and against with calls for changes all along the way. One strong possability is that dealing with crafting fabled items just costs more dev time than its precieved value.

Talking about precieved value, I honestly see this as a fluke issue. One that a good 99% of the time customer service will shrug and if you haven't abused their very generous policies they will reimburse you. Instead of a half day of dev time going into fixing this, I'd much rather see a half day spent fixing the quest to get the raid apprentice. I don't even care what that fix is, I just don't like it saying the quest is repeatable when it isn't. Either make it really repeatable or remove the tag. That is something that is clearly bugged and the fix seems perty easy one way or the other with no debate on what would be fair or not. It isn't like you'd have to look at 40ish recipes and decide for each one what you get back for each bar of completion to be "fair".

Instead of rushing into fan fair and making demands, why not ask Omougi the reasoning he has behind it working this way? He is the dev that made this system, he is the dev most likely to change it, and he is the only one that could really answer if this is important or not. More than likely if he is consistant with his past decisions he'll completely flip and make this go from unreasonably hard to unreasonably easy just like he did with collosal made foods.

But if its more important for you to get your way then by all means don't use a reasonable approach or attempt to understand the dev's intent. Have a great time in Vegas.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #26
Whilhelmina
Server: Storms
Guild: Les Furies d Innoruuk

Tester

imo, he probably just used the general "return the fuel", later amended in "return primary" and didn't search further.

I think that those recipes should return all the materials on failure except for fuel and actual harvested rare.

Whilhelmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #27
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

Cause any penalty for failure beyond basic fuel costs, is totally unreasonable!

Old 10-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #28
Whilhelmina
Server: Storms
Guild: Les Furies d Innoruuk

Tester

The penalty was removed from the other recipes every time. At first it only returned fuel. Then it returned rares for mastercrafted, then it also returned the original item when an imbuing failed. Lately the shards where returned on a failed shard combine. The heroic/raid apprentices are the only recipes not returning the rares.

Whilhelmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #29
Boethius_Permafrost

Loremaster

I like the innovation potion tip.  I have never had a problem, but the UI bugging out or losing connection at the wrong time is fairly rare, so I'm lucky.

But just because there might exist a player workaround for a bug doesn't change the fact that it need to be fixed, and this will reduce their customer service overhead.  They have to verify and replace the loss every time this happens (in the best case scenario for soe), and even though it's rare for us, it's not rare for them (I expect).  So fixing it now makes sense.

Boethius_Permafrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #30
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Meirril wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

Meirril wrote:

Instead of rushing into fan fair and making demands, why not ask Omougi the reasoning he has behind it working this way? He is the dev that made this system, he is the dev most likely to change it, and he is the only one that could really answer if this is important or not. More than likely if he is consistant with his past decisions he'll completely flip and make this go from unreasonably hard to unreasonably easy just like he did with collosal made foods.

But if its more important for you to get your way then by all means don't use a reasonable approach or attempt to understand the dev's intent. Have a great time in Vegas.

I've been around long enough to know that this type of thing is rarely down to the "intent of the developer" but more often an oversight. After all, if devs were aware that it costs 1,200-1,800p of materials to make these things, they'd adjust the drop rates.

Ulrichvon wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

Cause any penalty for failure beyond basic fuel costs, is totally unreasonable!

Cause the EQ2 game client crashing, or the server disconnecting, or the power blinking, or the internet connecting flaking it out and erasing 1,200 platinum of materials is player failure? If you failed to kill a raid mob and lost 1,800p, you'd be ok with that? I mean, you shouldn't have failed after all. It's your fault.

Are you people even reading what you write or just dogmatically banging the "the game needs to be harder, and since crafters make soft targets, let's go after them" drum?