EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Look and Feel
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Flacked

Loremaster

I had an idea this morning which I think would add a new dimension to the game and help everyone with no down side:Character Rentals

Most of us have more than one character. We may be working on one or two of them while the rest just sit around collecting dust and not doing anyone any good. Imagine if we could rent out those characters to other players to use to explore dungeons or to group with other players at a particular level.

When I first leveled up a character in EQ 2 I passed by a lot of dungeons along the way.  I can go back now as a high level character but it just isn't much fun when all the mobs con gray and nothing drops any loot. I started up a new charcter recently and have been enjoying some of the dungeons but there are still more I am passing by as my character levels up. If I had access to a well geared character of the correct level with a lot of AAs and a mercinary, I think I would enjoy exporing even more of them.

It would work like this: From the character select window, there would be a new button next to each of your characters which would allow you to make them available for rental. You could set a fixed price or a minimum price for auction. If you wanted to rent somone elses charcter, you could tap a button on the character select screen that would let you search for characters that match your specifications. You could ask for a particular class, race, server, level and price. You could sort matching characters by price or HP or other stats (like you can in EQ Players). A rental will give you a fixed time of use with that character (perhaps 8 hours). You could pick from one of several starting points for the character you rent.

You can do whatever you want with the character. Whatever you loot will be yours to keep after the rental. You can pick which of your own characters will get the loot. Any experience earned while you play the rented character will stay with that character as AA experience (which is one reason why you would want to rent out your characters). You can't change the character's gear. Whatever they are wearing when they rented out will stay on them. You also cannot damage the gear due to death nor will you suffer any experience penatly. This is reasonable considering no ordinary experience can be earned while the character is being rented and you would not want any negative effects from others who are not careful with your rented characters.

Here is the really fun part: You pay for rented characters with station cash. Part of the SC goes to the player that owns the character and part goes to SOE. The amounts would usually be small (think micropayments) and some characters would be free to rent perhaps just to earn AA experience. On the other hand some characters will be so desirable due to their gear and AA experience for their level that they will command pretty high prices. This would be a great way for players to earn Station Cash. It would also give players a reason to make the ultimate level 55 Mage (or whatever). Also for those of us that don't raid, it would let us win some nice gear for our other characters by making available raid geared characters. Ever want to try a high level character of some other class, race or faction? Now you can!

Feel free to kick around this idea on this forum and let the devs know if you like it (or hate it).

-Flacked

Flacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Mohee

Lord

Hmmm... I actually kind of like this idea... lol

maybe thats because I have like 9 maxed out toons but only 2 that I actually play >.< I wouldn't mind lending 7 of my other toons out as long as they can't mess with my gear, inventory, bank, or money SMILEY

One of the more interesting ideas i've seen on the forums in a long time, I must say. 

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Britefire

Loremaster

Good idea, or atleast it could be in my opinion.

Though, might want to either disallow chat, or preferably, have an easily noticed title infront of chat messages saying the toon is rented.  Also, I would say the toon shouldn't be able to access their house, bank, broker, etc.

Maybe loot could go to a special set of bags which transfers back to you, completely seperate from all of the toons normal bags?

Britefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Finora

Tester

I'm no dev, but I really don't see any way they could even get characters to do that unless they set up a completely seperate server to copy the characters to (like they did initially with Freeport where you kept your original character on your home server but a copy of it was put on Freeport server). Even if they did that, it seems like it would be a LOT of trouble to do that rather than for SOE just to make 'rentable' characters of their own. Then they wouldn't have to worry about having to copy someone else's character or how much SC someone is getting from renting X character etc.

It's just not a feasible idea as far as I see. Besides, just chronomentor down. That's what it's there for, so you can play through lower level content without it being grey.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Mohee

Lord

doing BG's creates a temporary ghost copy of your character. It can be done, it wouldn't be difficult.

and chronomentoring isn't fun for anyone when you are just 1 shotting all the mobs =

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
Finora

Tester

Mohee wrote:

doing BG's creates a temporary ghost copy of your character. It can be done, it wouldn't be difficult.

and chronomentoring isn't fun for anyone when you are just 1 shotting all the mobs =

You could try mentoring lower, do stuff orange or red /shrug.  I am not really sure how they handle battlegrounds, but obviousy the characters are still attached to your account. They'd have to sever the ghost copy from the actual account without messing up the account and temporarily transfer ownership to another account.

I still don't see SOE jumping through all those hoops when they could just sell rentals they had 100% control over or even characters for SC. In fact, it seems it would be much easier for them to give people access to rental characters like dungeon maker avatars than some system of copying other player characters.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote