EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Services > EQ2Players.com Website Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
Etruscus

Loremaster

I know this is supposed to be coming "soon" but would it be possible for some us to get some sort of early access or maybe a sneak peek at what we can expect?

Ideally, I'd like to write Python wrapper for the API that is exposed, which I would then put up on github or something.

Or, could we get access to the docs, or something?

Etruscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Info is coming. We'll be able to request information as XML or JSON. Of course it has to follow all the same rules that EQ2Players does now, including allowing players to hide their alts and other info from public searches.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
Dark_Grue

Loremaster

Etruscus wrote:

I know this is supposed to be coming "soon" but would it be possible for some us to get some sort of early access or maybe a sneak peek at what we can expect?

Ideally, I'd like to write Python wrapper for the API that is exposed, which I would then put up on github or something.

Or, could we get access to the docs, or something?

You've got to remember that the new data server is being developed by the SOE Web Team. Who, persistently, aren't represented here on the forum. At all. So, making any appeals for... well, anything isn't going to do much good. I wrote Roster Master - and it's gotten me bubkis in terms of information, let alone early access. And believe me, I asked. In person.

I talked to Smokejumper at both the 2010 and this year's Fan Faire, and both times, the time frame was "soon." This year, he was much more visibly pained about the state of EQ2Players, and did say that the priorities of the company had changed, and it would be getting attention. But he did mention that the Web Team wasn't under their direct control, and he couldn't make any promises or predictions on what "soon" would be.

So, yes, they did reannounce their intentions to revamp EQ2Players and finally publish the new data server, but that's all we (the consumers) know right now.

I'm far more impatient to see the new interface as I'm anxious to immediately implement it into Roster Master, but we'll probably only know when it'll be ready the same day it's announced as live.

Dark_Grue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Etruscus

Loremaster

That's a cool project. I don't want to design anything myself (maybe work on the developing end of a python or django project a little). I just want to provide some resources for end users to better communicate with the data.

Providing an API is such a no brainer in todays world.

I think they would be amazed at the level of development that would take place if they did, and it would all be very cheap marketing.

Of course, part of it would depend on what elements they expose and what they keep hidden.

Etruscus is offline   Reply With Quote