EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Kapath

Lord

Population numbers are quite low at 'peak' hours and noticed every raiding guild is having a hard time to fill. I'm not alone in feeling this and thought I'd create this to bring to light we. desperately. need. server. merges. The lack of advertisement leaves no other choice...thank you in advance for any support/enlightenment. 

-Concerned Eq2 player

Old 10-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
crazyeyes321

Loremaster

Server merges would be nice, but there are also other factors to consider.  Many positions guilds are looking for are support roles that people may not want to play.  Also, many of the people that have been playing this game now are out of college and have real jobs and families, so they cannot make raid schedules anymore.  It would be nice to raid on my toons, but Im not going to deal with the drama of not maintaining an 80% raid attendence when there are other things going on in my life.

crazyeyes321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

why would they merge servers and loose all that money?

if you want to move servers, buy the token and do so.

also im not seeing any issues on AB , from 4pm or so EST to well after 2am EST AB  has a very healthy population.

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
salty21db

Loremaster

Kapath wrote:

Population numbers are quite low at 'peak' hours and noticed every raiding guild is having a hard time to fill. I'm not alone in feeling this and thought I'd create this to bring to light we. desperately. need. server. merges. The lack of advertisement leaves no other choice...thank you in advance for any support/enlightenment. 

-Concerned Eq2 player

Server load at peak time is medium - high.  Where are you getting the "low at peak hours?"

salty21db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
Filly67

Loremaster

What you consider peak hours may be low for most of the server.  You may need to find a server that is busy during times that work for you.  Not seeing any issues on our server.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
SteelPiston

Loremaster

salty21db wrote:

Kapath wrote:

Server load at peak time is medium - high.  Where are you getting the "low at peak hours?"

I'd like to see some real numbers rather than this low, medium, or high business. That tells me nothing. Is high more than 10,000 people logged in? 20,000? How many?

How many is low? 100?

Old 10-02-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

yes you do have to take in account things like what time zone your in.

for example I know my server seems to be highly EST timezone. if your say in Hawaii...your 'peak' time is well after most of them go to bed.

and yes, lots of raid guilds are trying to fill spots. most notably chanters/bards and some of the less played healers like mystics.

I played a bard in a raid guild. It's frankly, not very fun, and high stress. bards and chanters i think have more crap to pay attention to and deal with then any other raid class but maybe healers.

as a dirge, for example, I have to cycle Gravitas among the raid healers, I have to rez dead bodies and clear rez effects, I have to make sure my temp buffs are timed with the other bards (CoB as a big example) , and of course as a scout I'm expected to somehow do a considerable amount of DPS while I'm running round like a chicken with it's head cut off half the time.

and of course there's the b*tching and monaing over who gets what buffs, that I know chanters hear as well. buffs like BC and UT are always being fought over.

it gets quickly to a point were people that play those classes just get fed up with being plainly underappreciated for what they do, because 90% of what they do doesn't show up as a DPS number with thier name attached to it.

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Bawang

Loremaster

Terms like 'high load', 'medium load', etc. are irrelevant.  The point is it gets harder and harder to put groups together as time passes.  I agree there should be a server merge and pronto.

Bawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
Finora

Tester

Filly67 wrote:

What you consider peak hours may be low for most of the server.  You may need to find a server that is busy during times that work for you.  Not seeing any issues on our server.

I'm not seeing a problem either. Groups are forming up frequently

Usually 90+ but I do see lower level groups forming too.

Raids are having problems because of a few things: 1) Annoying mechanics driving players away from raiding 2) Annoying raid leaders driving people away from raiding 3) The most desirable classes on raids are often the least fun to play on a raid 4) Problems with the raid zones/progression since DOV was released

From what I understand # 4 was getting better more recently though it might have been borked again. I no longer raid because I had no time & well I was tired of playing whack a cure there for while.

I personally think a server merge isn't actually going to help as much as one might think.  After almost every server merge in this games history there have been  serious server stability & lag issues driving even more people away from the game and just annoying the rest of the population.

A better solution would be the dreaded cross server dungeon finder. I personally don't like the idea, but then again I've never had issues finding a group if I wanted one. But I do think it would be better than yet another round of server mergers that just disrupt the server communities and cause connectivity issues.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
salty21db

Loremaster

LoL.  AMG server merge nao!

Think you're missing the biggest problem as I explain in a ton of my other posts.  Outside of cap level what is the reason or motivation to group?  You get penalized for it if anything outside of being plvled.  So why group anywhere below 92?  Even then why group to do anything but heroic content or raid? lol.  On top of that you have guild halls/player housing where people hide so you don't see even half the population around in cities, etc.  The population is there, there is just no real reason to utilize it.

In reference to the support class comments.  I favored support classes since the start of this game.  I stopped playing them because I got tired of the kids who measured everything in dps.  As say a dirge my job was to rez, clear rez effects, cast temp buffs, help heal, etc., THEN dps.  Most people can't grasp that then ask why you're dps is so low on ACT or what not.  Well when half the raid dies over and over on a raid encounter because they can't handle simple mechanics and I have to pick up the pieces...I'm not going to have that high dps but that didn't seem to matter when explaining to most EQ2 players.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

Kapath wrote:

-Concerned Eq2 player

I'm not sure I agree. 

I've been logged in every night the past week, and I get group after group after group all doing ST.  Do it once, change to alt 2, do it again, basically rotate thru 3-4 alts and run this thing as often as I like.  These are pugs and there is a steady stream of them going all night long.

In terms of guilds, I run a guild with 2 raidforces that are overfilling (3-6 people on a sit list every night of the week), and am currently considering adding a 3rd raidforce due to the overwhelming interest of players wanting to join.

There are guilds on Unrest having trouble filling, but I don't think its cause of lack of players, not when we have no issue filling and our best force is barely top 10 on server.  I suspect the problem is as much poorly run guilds as it is population.

Sure, merge if you like, so long as it doesn't impact performance I have no issue with it, but I think its a short term problem and these same guilds will be looking for people again after the people influx and everything shakes out.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
Chronus1

Loremaster

In terms of middle ground raid guilds (ones nobody will server transfer for but kill 2 bosses in PoW/do well for their hours per week) this would be much apreciated. Of the top 4 guilds on Freeport 3 are constantly recruiting and at least ours is having huge issues finding anybody who's even interested in raiding as a whole so the extra possible recruits would be great or even extra guilds for others to collapse into.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
Alenna
Server: Guk
Guild: Defenders of the Light

Loremaster

Has it been 2 weeks already?

Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
heartstopper

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

What? um they're asking for a server merge. not double exp. how does 2 weeks fit in?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

heartstopper wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

What? um they're asking for a server merge. not double exp. how does 2 weeks fit in?

server merge threads are just as common as requests for double exp/SC threads... thats how

Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
Regolas

Loremaster

A cross server dungeon finder can't be that hard to implement surely? They do it for BGs do they not?
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #17
WanyenII

Loremaster

I think the top 15 or 20 guild on Freeport, or basically anyone at all who is raiding anything at all, for whatever that means in the grand sense of things, is recruiting, and I think in general, like almost all other guilds, its essentially the same set of classes -- enchanters, bards, and shaman (particularly coercers, dirges, and mystics).  A few others creep in from time to time, but thats essentialy what everyone is most looking for on an ongoing basis.  For the past six or eight months I've had the pleasure of performing those roles to a greater extent in one than the others, and will be certainly relieved if ever I can return to my 'main' of years and years.

Being a good, raiding utility is a lot of work, compared to the almost purely dps counterparts.  Heroic encounters are less stringent in general about about requiring the high activity of a good utility, so lots of things are let slide for heroic utility play, which is not great, but ok.  When it comes to a raiding utility, the raid needs everything that utility potentially brings.  That's where a lot learn that raiding sucks, or that being that class on a raid is a lot more work than they want or can handle.

Curefest is a snoozer and flustrating in the repteition (each and every encounter) and frequency (detrimentals cycles that are faster than the refresh of a single priest's ability to cure/cure-curse them). 

Some of the utility and curefest either needs to decrease, or maybe become more passive/auto-reactive but nearly as effective as a completely clued in, amped in player behind the toon who would otherwise be explicitly performing those key activites, perhaps at a cost in other abilities, but really, some of that needs an auto-pilot option.  Not necessarily a stance change, but a 'secondary focus' ability. 

Priests need to be able to cure most things without even thinking about it at these highest levels of achievement.  Perhaps a  'reactive cure' temp buff with triggers, perhaps tied to a heal. Perhaps as a pbae aura around the priest.  I dont care how...but something of this nature really needs to happen.  Then if occassional targeted or cross curing need to happen, thats ok.  I think most people who typically enjoy priests can handle that.  Adding passive, auto-pilot cures would eliminate an otherwise huge need for a second targeted group cure to other priest classes, that oftentimes sorely need it depending on composition.

Perhaps for dirges, anytime dead calm fires (group dd disease proc at roughly 24% fire rate on my toon), theres strong chance for insta-cast pulse pbae rez friendly in a somewhat small radius for anyone in the group in range to have the dead calm buff.  A maxxed confront fear should add a persistant dirge self buff regenerating aura, to limit use.  Leave the targeted rezzes and targeted confront fear out of that equation as far as timers, as those targeted abilities will still need to happen just as targeted and cross curing of priests.  It would be cool if for every 3 pbae auto rez pulses, on the fourth pulse in a series a chance for long range pulse would fire instead of the typical short/moderate range pulse, but perhaps for not that would be too much...

For dirges, Hyran Seething Sonata III needs to be not only group friend, but also raid friend; just not stackable with itself from other dirges.  As it stands, dirges are locked into a tank group format, either main or some form of off-tanking.  This means that the persistant song/spell set is almost always locked into the same setup.  While there are great deal of tools that add to the tanking formula that encourages the use of a dirge in a tank group, there should be some flexability to run them outside of a tank group in a 'scout group,' as was often the case in eq1.  Those were fun groups for a bard in eq1, and it made it more fun for every other scout.  Really the principal behind this change neeeds to happen for all the other hate and threat transfer and modification abilities for all classes.  They need to be not just group friend, but raid or group friend.  The limits to stacking and range should still apply though.  Freeing up the format of group composition by removing/augementing the 'group friend' only threat and hate buffs' would make things easier to form more flexible groups in raid, for everyone I think, at every level of raiding.

Troubs.. I dont know how they suffer specifically in workload or ability.  I know they do, or we'd see a lot more of them.  Off the top of my head, I would like to see some kind of raid wide physical/trauma/stun ward for them, that doesnt add to mitigation per say, but counts in calculating effectiveness and consequence of an ae or targeted detriment.

Group wards for mystics and defilers should play nicer together.  Not necessarily stackable, but perhaps one regening the   other.  I am really in the dark on how, but something should be done to make them friendly to play together in the same group.

WanyenII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:55 AM   #18
retro_guy

Loremaster

One thing needs to be fixed before any more mergers take place:

Player made dungeons currently don't transfer when you move server to server, so there would be a lot of unhappy people getting their dungeons deleted.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #19
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

retro_guy wrote:

One thing needs to be fixed before any more mergers take place:

Player made dungeons currently don't transfer when you move server to server, so there would be a lot of unhappy people getting their dungeons deleted.

Alot?  Really?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

Kapath wrote:

-Concerned Eq2 player

If people aren't grouping with you its because you aren't in raid gear, do poor dps, or both.  Server merges won't fix that.

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #21
Kapath

Lord

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Kapath wrote:

-Concerned Eq2 player

If people aren't grouping with you its because you aren't in raid gear, do poor dps, or both.  Server merges won't fix that.

cool story bro  i don't care to elaborate on ofrums, feel free to head to flames though if you want to make yourself look like a fool; the names clownshoe. nice to meet ya. also, nice jewelry! 

I appreciate the views and honestly surpised there is SOME opposition to this proposal. Raiding guilds are the ones who suffer the most from low activity of competent raiders (regardless of class), which, is the main reason I created this thread. (reread OP). Heroic non-HM instances, farming nodes, and trolling 1-9 is something anyone can do, but finding quality players in the very limited pool of a low population is diminishing progress of raiding guilds across the boards. Don't believe me? Visit eq2flames or the guild sites of the highest ranked progression guilds on guildprogress.com where you will find broadcasts for recruitment.

Server stability is a legitimate concern, although it is something i would personally tolerate for a limited time if it would alleviate the issues stated above. And yes cross server dungeon finder looks good on paper (and currently just as useful) but, no one is going to do HM dungeons without some required gear check instituted and even then that doesn't necessitate good performance. 

tl;dr - seriously...only 2-3 people open to this ???

Old 10-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #22
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

Kapath wrote:

why should they have to merge?

the ability to move servers is already available, if you dont like whare you are  go somewhare else.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #23
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

I see the top raid guilds spam every night for new raiders on my server. and every single one is the following: Looking for dirge/coercer mystic. looking for chanters/bards/shamans...occasionally we see looking for mystic/coe/dirge/inq, or lf mystic/troub/illy.

but it's still the same archtypes. bards, chanters, and right now one of the shamans.

Bards and chanters simply are not very fun to play in a raid. no one appreciates half or more of what they do, and all the raidforce gets on thier case if they don't do super nice dps on top of everything else. so what you have is a very high bard/chanter turn over rate, but thanks to mechanics, every raid wants a 3rd of it's force as bards/chanters.

a server merge won't change the fact that those classes aren't found often and are constantly looked for becuase no one plays them or the players burn out very quickly becuase of a huge workload that no one gives them any credit for carrying. if more of the bard/chanter buffs where made raidwide or raid friend, and a raid could run with half the amount, you might not have to much issue finding people to fill a raid force if your looking more for DPS classes/willing to throw some more tanks in there.

half or more of the people I see that would love to raid but can't get in raid guilds are dps. rangers/brigs/swashies/warlock/wizards and the like. or people that play tanks. put a tank in Reckless and they can actually contribute. they acn put out some nice numbers and not have to be a tank....but willing to pick up the tank role on nights someone doesn't show or fights were you need 3-4 tanks.

every guild is begging for utility. 4 classes out of 25. and you wonder why they have trouble filling?

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #24
salty21db

Loremaster

Kapath wrote:

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Kapath wrote:

-Concerned Eq2 player

cool story bro  i don't care to elaborate on ofrums, feel free to head to flames though if you want to make yourself look like a fool; the names clownshoe. nice to meet ya. also, nice jewelry! 

I appreciate the views and honestly surpised there is SOME opposition to this proposal. Raiding guilds are the ones who suffer the most from low activity of competent raiders (regardless of class), which, is the main reason I created this thread. (reread OP). Heroic non-HM instances, farming nodes, and trolling 1-9 is something anyone can do, but finding quality players in the very limited pool of a low population is diminishing progress of raiding guilds across the boards. Don't believe me? Visit eq2flames or the guild sites of the highest ranked progression guilds on guildprogress.com where you will find broadcasts for recruitment.

Server stability is a legitimate concern, although it is something i would personally tolerate for a limited time if it would alleviate the issues stated above. And yes cross server dungeon finder looks good on paper (and currently just as useful) but, no one is going to do HM dungeons without some required gear check instituted and even then that doesn't necessitate good performance. 

First off....LOL...go visit the scum of the internet willingly.  I'll get right on that myself.

Secondly, welcome to the new age of "accessible" and "solo-friendly" MMOs.  It is hard to find "good" players in any current MMO when you solo to cap.  Has 0 to do with population and EVERYTHING to do with game design these days.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #25
Regolas

Loremaster

Honestly, I think the nail has been firmly hit on the head. I don't think the populations are that bad. It probably wouldn't hurt to merge but the real issue for raiding is most people who can raid and who play those desired classes already raid. Those that don't, don't want to or can't due to time constraints or play classes not needed. I play off peak for short hours on classes that aren't in demand. I'd love to raid bit realise I can't. I expect many are like this.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #26
Wingrider01

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I see the top raid guilds spam every night for new raiders on my server. and every single one is the following: Looking for dirge/coercer mystic. looking for chanters/bards/shamans...occasionally we see looking for mystic/coe/dirge/inq, or lf mystic/troub/illy.

but it's still the same archtypes. bards, chanters, and right now one of the shamans.

Bards and chanters simply are not very fun to play in a raid. no one appreciates half or more of what they do, and all the raidforce gets on thier case if they don't do super nice dps on top of everything else. so what you have is a very high bard/chanter turn over rate, but thanks to mechanics, every raid wants a 3rd of it's force as bards/chanters.

a server merge won't change the fact that those classes aren't found often and are constantly looked for becuase no one plays them or the players burn out very quickly becuase of a huge workload that no one gives them any credit for carrying. if more of the bard/chanter buffs where made raidwide or raid friend, and a raid could run with half the amount, you might not have to much issue finding people to fill a raid force if your looking more for DPS classes/willing to throw some more tanks in there.

half or more of the people I see that would love to raid but can't get in raid guilds are dps. rangers/brigs/swashies/warlock/wizards and the like. or people that play tanks. put a tank in Reckless and they can actually contribute. they acn put out some nice numbers and not have to be a tank....but willing to pick up the tank role on nights someone doesn't show or fights were you need 3-4 tanks.

every guild is begging for utility. 4 classes out of 25. and you wonder why they have trouble filling?

they are looking for specific classes, a server merge will not add to those classes that are in chronic shortage of these classes becasue they are already in a riading guild on the previous server - they have no reason to want to leave their long time friends to go to a new guild

The most obvious reasons that they have trouble filling the 4 classes is not because of body count on the server, but because people don;t want to play those classes at all, they are a last choice. A server merge will not impact this situation in the least, something need to be done to make it an incentive for the populous to choose those classes.

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #27
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

Regolas wrote:

. Those that don't, don't want to or can't due to time constraints or play classes not needed.

Thats pretty much the thing right there.   There are plenty of players, just none of them willing to play support classes.  Wish I could link a thread from our guild forums about needing a dirge, cause its full of people who play T1 dps now stating the refuse to play a dirge ever again SMILEY

Its like everyone is content with not progressing and playing what they want vs playing what is needed to progress.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #28
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

I'm addicted to playing a Troubie ... but I loathe raiding with a passion, & I'm already a member of a guild I like a lot. I can't see any good reason to leave my happy guild family to do things I despise.

No amount of server merge, or even mechanics changes, will alter my way of thinking -- & IMO Freeport doesn't need a server merge, we've got a pretty decent population already.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #29
Chronus1

Loremaster

Except that 3 of the top 4 raiding guilds are constantly recruiting and our guild is looking like it might die as we haven't been able to recruit any class, yet alone the healers and chanters we need. That heroic groups don't really ever do the 2nd last named in ST as hardmode and the population is spread through multiple timezones so people see less of eachother.

Yeh Freeport doing fine...

Old 10-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #30
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Chronus1 wrote:

Except that 3 of the top 4 raiding guilds are constantly recruiting and our guild is looking like it might die as we haven't been able to recruit any class, yet alone the healers and chanters we need. That heroic groups don't really ever do the 2nd last named in ST as hardmode and the population is spread through multiple timezones so people see less of eachother.

Yeh Freeport doing fine...

Yes, Freeport, by & large, is fine. I was speaking of the overall server though; whether or not "raid guilds" are doing OK is irrelevant to me.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote