EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Chains of Eternity Beta > General (CoE Beta) > Tradeskill & Tradeskill Prestige
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Senya

Loremaster

I found no tradeskill quests to do to get recipe books.  I hope that the quests just aren't in the beta yet and that crafter quests do exist.

I also didn't see new recipe books on the tradeskill recipe merchant.  As far as I know there are no groups to work crafter faction with. 

A couple people reported getting recipe book drops off trash mobs.  Yes, I adventure some, but I am first and foremost a crafter.  I enjoy crafting quests and crafting instances more than adventure quests and adventure instances.  Can we please have tradeskill books/recipes drop from either tradeskill instances or be rewarded for tradeskill quests in addition to being drops?

Click image for a list of my completed projects.

Senya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Mermut

Loremaster

The standard crafting recipes, at least, should not require adventuring..

I've found the adorning recipes at the merchant in Butcherblock, but there are no new tinkering recipes in Butcherblock or in Gnomeland.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
NiamiDenMother

EQ2TC

Is the mob dropping of the basics/essentials books intentional or will there be another way to get them?  (I know that due to itemization and such, tradeskills are one of the later steps in the beta, but I'd like to make sure this is the intent before I add my two cents on being gated by adventurers for handcrafted recipes.)

I have yet to see hide nor hair of the new tinkering recipes. (as of last night - I'll recheck things today)

Adorning recipes are on the vendor in Butcherblock, and I am hoping at other adorning vendors as well.  (I'll check that today, now that I am more awake)

Old 10-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
ZUES

Loremaster

I've murdered 5000+ mobs and have gotten 4 recipes. They are body drops. I put them on the broker.

ZUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Cloudrat

Tester

If you want stuff tested how about  a vendor for recipes and harvestables?

Old 10-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
denmom

Loremaster

Location: Paradigm Clutch: Never shift reality without one...

I can see getting the advanced books out in the wilds as we once did before the faction merchants were put in (Rok, SF, etc), but the essentials?  Really?

Do you have any idea how much prices are going to be if this carries over into live?  Or is this a way to get crafter only or crafter/sometime adventurers out into the wilds?

I'd really like to say that this is just an "oops", but given they aren't on the guild merchant or tinkering or adorning etc, this really doesn't look good or bode well.

Will there be any questlines for crafters?  If not, then a place for these to be available would be in the cave where the outpost is in Withered Lands.  If not him, then Phaedrus (sp?) over at Tears of Tunare.

/waiting and waiting for answers...

Old 10-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
krizet

Loremaster

Incredibly disappointed...

So far, the only carpenter recipe book I found was on the broker for 1200 platinum.

There are no quests / questlines for Tradeskillers, and as we have heard above, no books to be bought.

Tradeskilling is imo, an integral part of my gameplay. No doubt, many of those here feel the same, and it has become the first and foremost skill I use. I do not wish to continue my game needing to kill mobs for my sole source of coin, items and AA.

Why give us Tradeskill AA, when we cannot gain Tradeskill AA by tradeskill? I do understand that it is gained by 20% per X amount of lvls gained in trades, etc etc... **Insert Questline here!!** However, this barely addresses the fact that it is a completely different gamestyle that we have chosen to play. You are more than happy to ply us with fabulous house items that we can surely spend our hard earned RL coin in the SC department... please do not forget that we pay the same monthy fee for the use of the game as do the raiders... (read: Vigilant = food house items!!)

I honestly do not wish to spend my ingame time killing mobs for foot/fund my trade. This is not the path I chose. By purposely ignoring what I believe to be a large contingent of players, one that has grown so much over the last few years with the inclusion of houses, you alienate us again, something that we have worked so hard to overcome.

If we are simply not important enough to include completely in the expansion, then stop leading us to believe that great things will come our way. Imagine our surprise when we rush headlong into the new realm and find nothing for us. Not even a merchant with a pittance of items. I logged in and found I had nothing in my tradeskill to do. I could go harvest, and then craft what I have already crafted... and then what? What am I testing here??

I suppose I was too expecting, my rose colored glasses have cracked, and truly now I see...

Krizet, for the Troops
My Works: Oasis Server Leaderboards - Hall of Fame
Castle Malia 
Castle Silverleaf
The Shire 
My RL Home
KA Guild Hall

krizet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Senya

Loremaster

I'm trying very hard to be optimistic and patient since we've only been in beta a week,  but without any red name responses in any of these threads that's very hard to do.

Click image for a list of my completed projects.

Senya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
Whilhelmina
Server: Storms
Guild: Les Furies d Innoruuk

Tester

Same as all of you, I'm a bit scared by what I see so far :/

Whilhelmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
Alenna
Server: Guk
Guild: Defenders of the Light

Loremaster

Add me to the list of being concerned about this.  tradeskill is  avalid play style why shoudl I have ot adventure or only depend on adventurers to get the recipies. a questline or put it on a merchant please. like the others I've been wanting to test and help you fix any bugs from the recipies and can't. Any reds going to answer our concerns here?

Old 10-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
Gaarysal
Server: Permafrost
Guild: Fist of the Empire

Loremaster

This is all very strange the way it has been implemented:

a) essential recipies need to be on the trainers just like every other tier

b) advanced/grandmaster recipes need to be either way more common drops or be part of a tradeskill questline/faction

c) advanced adorning and tinkering recipies need to be dropping way more frequently or added to a merchant or quest

I really enjoyed the way Skyshrine worked, do a questline that wasn't completely tedious and worth a fair amount of xp and by the time you are done with it, the grind has been significantly lessened and you have all recipe books for the tier.

I am hoping this is just incomplete atm and a questline is in the works, but it'd be nice to get some sort of confirmation from a dev.

Gaarysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
denmom

Loremaster

I'm also worried.

The books being out in the wilds to be gained, that will just horrifically raise the prices on broker.  It will also make the wilds a bit hard on everyone as those who can go out and kill for books do so.  That will impact mobs for quests.

I have a Paladin, capable of taking on and killing many mobs at a time.  Tho I'd head out far from questing traffic, too many others will not.

Also, to not have anything in a questline for us?  Even though it seemed tacked on, at least there was something in Withered Lands.  There's nothing at all here.

Now one could say, "Hey, it's the afterlife!  Why would Drinal have anything for crafters?"  Okay, fair enough.  But why not offer the books down at Withered Lands?  As I mentioned before, there are two NPCs who could be merchants for us.  Even if there's no questline, at least the books are there and available.

But again, because it is the afterlife, it is possible to have something for us in the way of crafting.  Famous crafters of the past, all together and needing help for whatever.  Perhaps helping out the Wayward.  After all, each of the nine subclasses would have something to do in one way or another.

And I also ask, where is there a dev?  Are we being heard?  Will we be heard and if so will it be too late?

Seventeen days until Chains of Eternity goes live.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
Afista

Loremaster

Isn't tradeskill content usually released a little bit later in Betas? I think... I hope...

I agree about being a bit worried we haven't heard about books being obtainable outside of adventuring content. After the small handful of Tradeskill quests releasd with SS I wasn't holding my breath for a lot of tradeskill content. Worst case scenario I thought that might be the new "norm" for minimal tradeskill attention. But I still thought there would be something questline related for this expansion. Again, maybe it's still too soon. We'll see :p

Click Image for link to decorating consolidated works website

Consolidated Works Fourm Thread
Afista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #14
Mermut

Loremaster

Afista wrote:

Isn't tradeskill content usually released a little bit later in Betas? I think... I hope...

I agree about being a bit worried we haven't heard about books being obtainable outside of adventuring content. After the small handful of Tradeskill quests releasd with SS I wasn't holding my breath for a lot of tradeskill content. Worst case scenario I thought that might be the new "norm" for minimal tradeskill attention. But I still thought there would be something questline related for this expansion. Again, maybe it's still too soon. We'll see :p

Last time we were told that doing more for tradeskills then 'wasn't feasible'. I hope they haven't decided that the tradeskill prestige was enough and anything else, even putting the basic recipes on the merchants 'wasn't feasible' SMILEY

Old 10-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #15
denmom

Loremaster

Agreed. 

If the books are to just be "put out there" then just put the "essentials" on the book merchant and it's good.  We all (well, most of us) remember how it is to get advanced books harvested out of the wild.  Hook up with friends, either to go out and do a hunt run or trade for what they bring back.  Set up libraries and trade around with folks you know, pass the wealth around.

I really don't want it to be that again, gods I remember those days, but hey, if that's what "feasible" is this time around, so be it.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:24 AM   #16
Niltsiar

Loremaster

Recipes still drop ?

Old 10-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #17
Alenna

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Recipes still drop ?

as of yesterday yes no way else of getting them. which means that leveling to the new end level is going to be very slow and painful as they haven't even changed the tradeskill writs to include the new levels. and even if they did unless they do what is normal for recipe books PUT THE BASIC RECIPES ON THE MERCHANT, if they are not going ot give us a questline like they did for whithered lands we aren't going to be able to do the writs since they have for some unknown reason decided htat we tradeskillers need to be fully dependent on adventurers to get any recipes except for adorn recipies they are at butcher block. when are we going to hear from the Devs. how can we level if we don't have any way to do it.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:54 PM   #18
Harzel

Loremaster

I agree that not having the basic recipes on a vendor is dopey. 

However, leveling is still easy.  Even with 89th level TS writs, it only takes 6 writs to gain a level.  If you pop an XP potion, it only takes 5.  If you have a full TS AA spec (and there is now no reason not to) and pop a Potion of Progress, each combine takes less than 15 seconds, so you can complete a writ in less than 2 minutes, even counting getting the quest and turning it in.  So that's 10-12 minutes per level.  Just my opinion, but this doesn't seem like a big obstacle.  (In fact, IMO, TS leveling has become absurdly easy.)

Regards,

H.

Harzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #19
denmom

Loremaster

Harzel wrote:

I agree that not having the basic recipes on a vendor is dopey. 

However, leveling is still easy.  Even with 89th level TS writs, it only takes 6 writs to gain a level.  If you pop an XP potion, it only takes 5.  If you have a full TS AA spec (and there is now no reason not to) and pop a Potion of Progress, each combine takes less than 15 seconds, so you can complete a writ in less than 2 minutes, even counting getting the quest and turning it in.  So that's 10-12 minutes per level.  Just my opinion, but this doesn't seem like a big obstacle.  (In fact, IMO, TS leveling has become absurdly easy.)

Regards,

H.

A big obstacle, probably not...but what I'm not liking one bit is the fact that books must be gained via adventuring in the wilds, both common and advanced.

That means crafters who do not adventure, and I have two of my own, will be reliant upon guild, friends, family, or broker for their books.  Sure, they could just level off L89 until they hit L95, but what about when their craft is needed?  They can't help anyone if they don't have their books.

I remember having only the broker to gain my advanced books from, and I have a crafter army.  I remember having the option of either paying a high price or take my adventuring toons out and go farm until I found what I needed.  I remember helping crafter friends do the same.

The current set up now will gouge crafters at the broker and make it hellish for questers as mobs are taken by high dps groups for book farming.

There has been nothing, no word whatsoever that I am aware of about the books being on merchants at all or whether or not there will be any crafting questline to gain both common and advanced books.  Quite a few crafters are very concerned, especially since many of them do not have means of gaining the books out of the wilds themselves.

There are now fourteen days left.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:39 AM   #20
Rendoir

Loremaster

I have a ton of crafters and adventurers, and I quite like the thought that I'll have to hunt for the books, and possibly trade spare copies, and like the fact that not everyone can run straight to a merchant and buy them and start churning out hundreds and thousands of new recipes.

I find it strange enough that there is a mender in the main 'ghost' camp, and would find it even wierder if they had a crafting faction that made stuff for people from the living realm.

Rendoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #21
Maroger

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I have a ton of crafters and adventurers, and I quite like the thought that I'll have to hunt for the books, and possibly trade spare copies, and like the fact that not everyone can run straight to a merchant and buy them and start churning out hundreds and thousands of new recipes.

I find it strange enough that there is a mender in the main 'ghost' camp, and would find it even wierder if they had a crafting faction that made stuff for people from the living realm.

Not having basic recipe books on a vendor as in the past is just way for some to make lots of plats by selling them on the broker. Adventurers are rich enough as it is - no need to make them richer.

Put the recipes on a vendor as you have done in the past. There is NO NEED to change a successful method unless your plan is to kill crafting altogether by forcing crafters to level their adventure skill.  BAD IDEA IF YOU DO IT>

Maroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #22
Alenna

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

advanced books I can see out in the wild not the basic common reciepe books at least give us the common one on the market if we are not to have crafting quests to get them. why has not Dev or red come in this thread to tell us what htey are planning on this. the lack of communication on their side is deafing on this. are our concerns falling on deafs ears?

Old 11-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #23
NiamiDenMother

EQ2TC

I emailed Omougi last Friday, trying to get a yes/no on recipes, crafting quests and crafting writs, but I'm guessing it is still buried somewhere in his work mail.  SMILEY

In the meantime, crafters might be more or less resigned to scrounging for their Advanced books, but having to do the same for the essentials books is not something that we've ever had to do, nor is it something that many of us want to do.   Paying 1000p (yep, we saw some prices that high on beta already, and even some higher) for the still-hard-to-get a drop level 95 Basics (Essentials) books would be a nightmare of price gouging for "simple" things like food, Journeyman spells and the like.

I'm still hoping and praying that there's some other method coming, but not ready yet, but it would be nice to have some word, instead of empty assumptions.  SMILEY

~Mum

Old 11-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #24
denmom

Loremaster

No one seems to have heard anything at all.  Niami has an email out to a dev, I have one out to a dev, nothing so far.

I fully understand their being buried under everything that is the chaos of Chains of Eternity, but something has to be said.  At least a "yes" or "no" about the common books being on the merchant and whether or not there will be a questline for the advanced.

Niami states books are 1000p on broker as is, imagine prices when this hits live.  The wholesale slaughter of mobs in every region for these books, not only in Etherenere, but anywhere there are mobs of the level needed.  That means Withered Lands will be affected as well as soon as it's known these books will drop there.

This is chaos waiting to happen.  I know this sounds molehill to mountain, but it really isn't.  This will happen.  High prices, mobs being slaughtered, questing interfered with, just general unhappiness.

There are thirteen days left until live...

Old 11-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #25
Omougi

Developer

Basic recipe books are being moved from drops to the normal recipe merchants soon.  Advanced manuals will continue to be dropped.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #26
Finora

Tester

Omougi wrote:

Basic recipe books are being moved from drops to the normal recipe merchants soon.  Advanced manuals will continue to be dropped.

Oh man, that is good news.

Any quests at all for crafters going in?

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #27
Caethre

Loremaster

Omougi wrote:

(( Well, good news on the basic books, but not so good on the advanced ones. Not that I mind them being dropped, I would just also love to see *quests* to obtain them.

But then again, I look forward to new Tradeskill quests every expansion, regardless of if they reward recipes or not. There were nowhere near enough with the 90->92 released content, I had been hoping for a much more significant swathe of crafting questlines for the 92->95 content... ))

Lady Lorianna Ardinwena [92/320 Monk|92 Carpenter](Koada`Dal)

Lady Suzanna Narinyaare [92/320 Conjuror|92 Woodworker](Koada`Dal)

Lady Annaelisa Lorinfinlinde [92/320 Fury|92 Tailor](Koada`Dal)

Lady Silvianna [92/320 Illusionist|92 Jeweler](Koada`Dal)

Jennianna [92/320 Dirge|92 Weaponsmith](Koada`Dal)

Aurielle [92/320 Wizard|92 Alchemist](Koada`Dal)

Valerianna [92/320 Guardian|92 Armourer](Koada`Dal)

Sarahanna [92/320 Swashbuckler|92 Provisioner](Koada`Dal)

Katherianna [92/286 Beserker|92 Sage](Koada`Dal)

Guildleader of The True Path - A roleplay-based guild (level 77) on Antonia Bayle
Caethre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #28
denmom

Loremaster

Omougi wrote:

Thank you!

I'm sorry for the barrage of sorts, but with how close the live day was getting, many of us were very concerned.

Advanced books dropping...from launch old school...but that's workable.  Perhaps down the road a questline will be added in for them, either in Ethernere or it's a case of the books are brought back to Norrath and the various city crafting houses need information from crafters who've been to Ethernere.

Anyhow, thank you very much!

Old 11-02-2012, 01:42 AM   #29
Gubuka

Loremaster

It's good that the essential books are going back to the merchants where they should be.

But regarding the advanced books, when will the advanced adorning book start dropping?

Also when will we get the new trinkerer blueprints in game?

Expansion release day are not that far off. Would be good if we could beta the relevant adorning recipes and the new trinkered adornment remover before this stuff go live.

Gubuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #30
SgtPmpkn

Loremaster

I'm glad the essential books will be on merchant.

I'm ok with the advanced ones dropping.  Prices at launch will be high for everything as it always is, but prices will come back down and level off to a reasonable level like it always does.  I dont forsee the market gouging people therefore people wont find grinding mobs for these drops as a good way to spend their time so questing/mobs in overland zones will be safe within a couple weeks.

Testing will be needed on adorning/tinkering recipes so hope we see them up *soon*.

I'm disappointed, but not surprised at the lack of crafting quests,  and new writs.  I hope we will see them, but have a feeling we wont at launch.  The Dev team just doesnt have the staff/support for for crafting.  The entire game is suffering in areas; some more than others.

SgtPmpkn is offline   Reply With Quote