EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
IvyBlackrose

Lord

ok so its now been over 24 hours since they started dropping.....what do we know so far?

1) they ONLY drop in overland zones no one has gotten any from dungeons to date

2) the RNG on the droprate is absolutely horrible about 50 weapons in a 24 hour period of time

3) they are only here for roughly about a week

4) they are basically equivalent to SS HM zone weapons

5) only about 1% of the playerbase will have 1 maybe 2 if rng is nice to them in that timeframe 

feel free to add info as you get it guys

Old 08-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
Anaogi
Server: Permafrost
Guild: Spellbound

Loremaster

IvyBlackrose wrote:

ok so its now been over 24 hours since they started dropping.....what do we know so far?

1) they ONLY drop in overland zones no one has gotten any from dungeons to date

Not true--a guildie got a server disco on the 92 mage one-hander from a trash mob in Chelsith.  Devs have confirmed it's a global addition to loot tables.

2) the RNG on the droprate is absolutely horrible about 50 weapons in a 24 hour period of time

I'd have expected nothing else.

A week?  What is that based on?

4) they are basically equivalent to SS HM zone weapons

About between EM and HM SS raid weapons from the looks, for the 92 stuff.  Items for other tiers have been disco'd, it seems to be dependant on who it's dropping for.

5) only about 1% of the playerbase will have 1 maybe 2 if rng is nice to them in that timeframe 

Too soon to say, it's Day 2!

So.  It's dropping anywhere, and depends on the level of who kills the mob that drops it...does this sound like a stealth tech test to anyone else?  Because this sure looks like they're trying out some new trick for the loot tables to me...

Old 08-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
gourdon

Loremaster

I killed approximately 1900 satyrs in the Withered Lands today and did not get a drop.  From this, I know with 85% confidence that the drop rate is 0.10% or less.  At a 99% confidence, the drop rate is less than 0.24%.  There definitely aren't going to be many of these in the game, especially if they only run this for a very short time.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #4
Xianthia

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

IvyBlackrose wrote:

A week?  What is that based on?

So.  It's dropping anywhere, and depends on the level of who kills the mob that drops it...does this sound like a stealth tech test to anyone else?  Because this sure looks like they're trying out some new trick for the loot tables to me...

This is not the only time I've seen someone say a "week" but haven't seen/missed where the red named posted this.

Anyone have a link to that post?

Xianthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #5
Jesdyr
Server: Unrest
Guild: Curmudgeons

Loremaster

Xianthia wrote:

This is not the only time I've seen someone say a "week" but haven't seen/missed where the red named posted this.

Anyone have a link to that post?

all I know is "limited time" .. where people get 1 week from that .. I have no idea

Jesdyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #6
Eliohia

Guardian

i dont know about where, when and all that all i can say is i was doing the qeynos quest Blood for Blood and one of the mobs dropped an exquisite chest.

I got Queen Vorticia V'uul'sBattleScepter http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/2732354629 

I didnt even know i had gotten a world wide dicovery till someone sent me a tell congradulating me lol.

Co-Leader in Guild Divinity

Happy hunting!!
Eliohia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
Tyrus Dracofire

Loremaster

this just in, got it about 1 hr ago.

it is random drop.

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/...=EQ2_000310.png

it got a rule for "no stacking" with same effect runes.

also discovery by Wylonus of Butcherblock.

willing to trade for long sword version of ethereal loots, prefer 92 lvl.

Tyrus Dracofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
Yimway

Loremaster

Its atleast 1:2000 chance, if not more.

I would guess its roughly the same chance as those LoN decks back when they were in game.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
gourdon

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Its atleast 1:2000 chance, if not more.

I would guess its roughly the same chance as those LoN decks back when they were in game.

Having pushed the kill number to 3600 without a drop, the drop rate is less than 1/1600 with 90% confidence.  I have a sneaking suspicion the drop rate is somewhere around 1/10K.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
Yimway

Loremaster

gourdon wrote:

Having pushed the kill number to 3600 without a drop, the drop rate is less than 1/1600 with 90% confidence.  I have a sneaking suspicion the drop rate is somewhere around 1/10K.

But thats just the RNG,  Someone got one last night with less than 150 kills.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
Vlahkmaak
Server: Venekor
Guild: Opus Dei

Loremaster

Got the fighter sword of about 3rd trash kill in SS the day they went live.  About an hour or so later later a guildie was running DF and scored the bow off the mages.  Thats 2 in a about an hour or 2 hour on Naggy 1 open SS one instanced.

Vlahkmaak 92 Troll Guardian Nagafen

Dwyrm 92 Dwarf Paladin Nagafen

Shoofaug 92 Iksar bruiser Nagafen

Vlah 92 Troll Inqy Nagafen

Vlahk 50 SK Nagafen

Glavlahnus 92 Woodelf Ranger, betrayed and back again

Cructik 92 TROLL BL Nagafen
Vlahkmaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
Zygar

Loremaster

Scored a scout/shammy dagger at ~100 kills in WL
92 Provisioner
Befallen (Oasis) Server

Zygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
Kenazeer

Loremaster

Wingrider01 wrote:

Kenazeer wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

gourdon wrote:

*Please do not quote forum violations*

I know mathematics is beyond some people, but calculating confidence levels on a data set with only one possible outcome is a pretty straightforward application.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
gourdon

Loremaster

Wingrider01 wrote:

Kenazeer wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

gourdon wrote:

*Please do not quote forum violations*

Said just like Samuel Clemens who knew next to nothing on the subject.

There are plenty of people out there using statistical tools they don't understand to model systems they aren't smart enough to understand.  Most of them are called psychologists.  However, this is a very simple statistical problem that is easily measured and modeled.

My streak of failures to loot the object in question is a statistical sampling.  I can't estimate a specific chance of success without a success, I only know a threshold below which the drop rate probably lies.  When I say that I have 90% confidence about a threshold that the drop rate lies below, there is a 10% chance I am wrong.  If I want to be more conservative and allow for only a 1% chance that I'm wrong, my estimate of the drop rate would be 1/800 OR LESS.

As for your belief that there is no value to statistical modeling, consider this.  The computer you use to play this game and post on this board would not exist without statistical modeling.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
gourdon

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

gourdon wrote:

From that set of data, the confidence regarding the drop rate would be very poor.  Only a large number of successes or a large number of failures without a success can provide a high degree of confidence in an estimate of an unknown.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #16
Grumble69

Loremaster

Well, I can say with 100% confidence that the drop rate sucks muddy golf balls.

Grumble69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #17
Juggercap

Elder

Grumble69 wrote:

Well, I can say with 100% confidence that the drop rate sucks muddy golf balls.

I'm 99% happy that it does. I'm reserving the 1% because I want one of my own characters to be lucky.

I like that something is nice and rare. I'm not a fan of these drops in general, but if they are going to be here, I'm glad they're rare.

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #18
Grumble69

Loremaster

I'm glad they're rare too.  It would be bad for the game if they were dropping like candy.  I just wish something else (lesser quality) would drop a little more often. 

Old 08-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #19
Regolas

Loremaster

My honest opinion is that as they're so rare, and not especially unique (raiders get better for example), they should be kept in permanently. The only good having it for a limited time is you possibly up the number of players randomly killing stuff to increase. But you get a whole load of frustrated people who got screwed by the rng.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #20
Lamatu

Loremaster

I thinks its funny that peeps are farming trash hours on end for these things. They don't seem too rare when the same people have 2 or 3 for sale on the broker.

They list them from 5-8k plat and think raiders are gonna buy them for some reason.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:49 AM   #21
Regolas

Loremaster

The hardcore players will always get everything they want.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #22
Laenai
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

Regolas wrote:

The hardcore players will always get everything they want.

Because we don't stop until we get it. Ever.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #23
Cyliena
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak

Fansite Staff

I'm curious why Scouts (excluding BL) can't use Tormax's Royal Blade of Destiny. Last I checked, we could wield 1HS.

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #24
IvyBlackrose

Lord

ok as of the fourth so far 3 days non stop killin in WL between me and my wife and 0 xbox's and only one person so far has said they have gotten a drop from an instance, anyone able to verify an instance or ss drop? or a particular mob type that drops them.....

P.S there is some monkey business going on somewhere because some people have gotten 4 - 5 ethereal drops whereas most people have none. anyone know where these individuals are getting 4 - 5 drops from?

Old 08-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #25
Caela

Loremaster

My guild group got one in an SS instance the other night - got a server discovery - It was off trash.

I haven't seen one since.  And from a look of the broker, there are none of sale on BB (but maybe I'm searching wrong).

Caela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #26
Dracker

Loremaster

This is no different than the chest piece was from the PQ's, some people never got one, while others got several.

Frustrating, yes. But when dealing with randomness, thats just the way it goes.

Dracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #27
Grumble69

Loremaster

Regolas wrote:

My honest opinion is that as they're so rare, and not especially unique (raiders get better for example), they should be kept in permanently. The only good having it for a limited time is you possibly up the number of players randomly killing stuff to increase. But you get a whole load of frustrated people who got screwed by the rng.

I agree.  It's so exceedingly rare that it's not something you are going to farm.  This is in the same category of getting masters off trash.  Yeah, you could try & farm those up.  ...but no one does.  There are far better & easier ways to go about it.   In another week, this is going to be one of those lottery events that everyone files away in the back of their minds.  When it happens, it'll be like "Ohhhh, happy day".  I definitely don't see the harm in this being permanent.

My gut feel is that SOE is gun shy after the DM fiasco and they afraid to implement anything "neat" out of fear that we'll figure out how to exploit it.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #28
Dreamclouds

Loremaster

In chat on AB today, heard that the mobs must con blue, and that you cannot be mentored down. Also heard speculation that if you have a merc out, the chests will not drop.

Several players testing that out now....

Dreamclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #29
hoosierdaddy

Loremaster

Dreamclouds wrote:

In chat on AB today, heard that the mobs must con blue, and that you cannot be mentored down. Also heard speculation that if you have a merc out, the chests will not drop.

I also heard that it only drops if you kill the mob at exactly thirty minute past every hour and it's raining in-game.

But seriously...this reminds me of the early posts on rare mercs, which were filled with some pretty funny theories concerning the conditions in which they spawned.

Obviously, the items have a very low chance of dropping. But anyone who's ever taken at least an introductory level statistics course can tell you that the chances of one dropping do not increase in relation to the amount of mobs you kill. It remains static. Meaning that every mob has the exact same (very slim) chance of dropping these.

The fact that some people have looted more than one is statistically improbable, but still possible. It's even more improbable that two consecutive mobs would drop one, but still possible, as each encounter has the same independent probability.

TLDR: The RNG (and nothing more) solely determines whether these will drop on any given encounter.

"The human race is the most stupid and unfair kind of race. A lot of the runners don't even get decent sneakers or clean drinking water. Some runners are born with a massive head start, every possible help along the way and still the referees seem to be on their side. It's not surprising a lot of people have given up competing altogether and gone to sit in the grandstand, eat junk and shout abuse. What the human race needs is a lot more streakers." -- Banksy
hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #30
Tayne

Loremaster

Dreamclouds wrote:

Can dispell this one. One guy got a level 92 ethereal killing in Shard of Hate, green mobs.

Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
Tayne is offline   Reply With Quote