EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
Michayla
Server: Najena
Guild: Valhallas Guard

Loremaster

Since the implementation of SoEmote, my friends have commented that my two dark elves looks vastly different.

The one's nose makes her look like Michael Jackson.

The other's cheeks are entirely too puffy, making it unproportional with her chin. She has shadows on her cheeks that were not there previously and look like craters on her face, and she has pixelated blocks that just out from either side of her chin.

I spent a lot of time making my toons to make them look perfect, and I really, really don't appreciate the look of my toons being changed because of some fluff program you are beta testing for your next game and using us as guinea pigs. I have SoEmote DISABLED. My toons should be unaffected.

Not impressed, SoE. Really.

Michayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
bobb10

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Since the implementation of SoEmote, my friends have commented that my two dark elves looks vastly different.

The other's cheeks are entirely too puffy, making it unproportional with her chin. She has shadows on her cheeks that were not there previously and look like craters on her face, and she has pixelated blocks that just out from either side of her chin.

I spent a lot of time making my toons to make them look perfect, and I really, really don't appreciate the look of my toons being changed because of some fluff program you are beta testing for your next game and using us as guinea pigs. I have SoEmote DISABLED. My toons should be unaffected.

You probably have different models on... try changing them. Options>Alternate Models.

bobb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
Michayla

Loremaster

Uhh no, that's not an acceptable answer. I created them in non-SOGA for a reason.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
Malleria

Loremaster

I thought I was being paranoid when I noticed it earlier, but yes, dark elf female non-soga model faces are definitely different now. The nose is different, and her mouth is hanging slightly open like her jaw is displaced. I don't see why any changes should be in effect with SoEmote disabled.

Malleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
primezeppelin

Guardian

The same thing happenned to one of my characters. I logged in after the SOEmote update to find my main looked radically diferent. I made a thread on here about it. Someone suggested SOGA got turned on by accident. I looked and it had. I changed it back and it fixed the issue. Now I wonder how other people see my character (the SOGA models are extremely ugly imo). I am not happy that it arbitraily turned on SOGA models (I never messed with that option).

primezeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #6
Michayla

Loremaster

This isn't an issue of my non-SOGA dark elf suddenly looking SOGA-fied on my screen. This is my non-SOGA dark elf having the art changed to compensate for this SoEmote garbage. 

I posted this in the "feedback" thread, but this is an example of what I mean:

Missing art at the cleavage area. Puffy cheeks. Looks like her jaw is broken. Her mouth is open as if she's waiting for flies to come in and lay eggs. There's something funky with the shoulders. Shadows on her face that previously were not there...

Did I mention I have SoEmote disabled?

EDIT: Actually, to describe it perfectly- She looks like a ventriloquist's puppet.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
Lizabethan

Philosopher

Thank you for the screenshot, NOW I see the problem. Oh boy. :X

Old 08-08-2012, 01:33 AM   #8
Deneir_Allaston

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I also am noticing distorted character appearances since this update. Character facial sliders seem to be effecting character appearances differently then they did before the SoEmote update. Im seeing graphical issues on Human Males, Dark Elf Males, Dark Elf Females, and possibly Half Elf Female Original Model appearances.

My Human Male now looks like he drank from the wrong Grail at the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; as you can see from the creepy upturned smile and old looking skin texture (its as if the age slider was maxed even though its set to zero on him). And as Michayla previously stated shadows from light sources seem to be more exaggerated on the face and body then they were before.

Deneir_Allaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #9
Kasar

Loremaster

I'm sure it will surprise them that anyone noticed the model they've been using for 8 years has suddenly gone slack-jawed.

Kasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #10
Eirele

Loremaster

Did anyone in the art team actually look at how these changes were going to effect the models?

Most of characters have grown big chins, but the most disturbing aspect is that they look lobotomised. Cold staring bulging eyes and gormless expressions that i can't do anything to correct.

I just need a droplet of drool on the chin and a banjo for my troub to complete the look.

Eirele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
Bronadui

Loremaster

Really ticked off about this.

I play Dark Elves and Wood Elves, in regular original models. All my chars look different, ESPECIALLY the Dark Elves.

The mouths are hanging open (unfixable). The noses stick out too far (unfixable).

The overall look is like your character had a lobotomy.

Add random weird stuff no-one really wanted if you must, but don't break people's toons in the process

Edit to add piccie

Bronadui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
agnott

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Which Michael Jackson nose  ..the one he was born with or the new one.

agnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
Nitestorm

Loremaster

I noticed the same thing on my toons. Infact my one human toon was originally a darker complection, when I logged on she was white as a ghost. So I went to the barber to change her skin tone and the skin tone didn't work. She stayed a pale tan. So I went back to the character select screen and click on the alternate appearance (SOGA), tried the skin tone, which worked, but when finished the model went back to the original (EQ2) model. Like the alternate appearance button no longer was working.

So then I made a new toon in SOGA, click on alternate appearance, made an EQ2 toon and when finished it went back to the SOGA model. SO something is messed up since this SoEmote crap. Plus my current toons all look different now as other's already noted.

Nitestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #14
primezeppelin

Guardian

After I got the SOGA thing I mentioned earlier sorted out I have began to notice some of this same stuff with shadows and other things on my own character. Something is definitely different with some of the models since the update.

primezeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
Tylia
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Test of Time

Loremaster

This is awful.  All of my characters now have this silly little upturned grin, and each of my high elves have bulging eyes, like someone is squeezing their head to make their eyes pop out.  This is NOT acceptable.

Tylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #16
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

I logged in my Half Elf Swashy & discovered he'd been set from non-SOGA to SOGA. I immediately logged back to the character screen, clicked on "Set Appearance," & had his appearance restored completely. I would have been very unhappy if his "restored" appearance had been different, but fortunately that wasn't the case.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #17
Laenai
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

Freejazzlive wrote:

I logged in my Half Elf Swashy & discovered he'd been set from non-SOGA to SOGA. I immediately logged back to the character screen, clicked on "Set Appearance," & had his appearance restored completely. I would have been very unhappy if his "restored" appearance had been different, but fortunately that wasn't the case.

I logged into my Erudite Illy and she'd been set from non-SOGA to SOGA. I camped to the character select screen, hit "Alternate Appearance" to have it switch back, and it keeps switching back to SOGA. It will not go back to non-SOGA!

Also, I'd like to toss my hat into the "What the junk happened to my dark elf?" ring with these:

My inquisitor has gone Joan Rivers bad facelift. She looks more like a Freeblood than a Dark Elf:

My SK now has a pig nose. They're both bigtime mouth breathers. PS: Her BP from the Arasai heritage crate is STILL 3 sizes too big in the bust.

Thanks, SoEmote. I don't have it turned on.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #18
Yimway

Loremaster

Bronadui wrote:

Really ticked off about this.

I play Dark Elves and Wood Elves, in regular original models. All my chars look different, ESPECIALLY the Dark Elves.

The mouths are hanging open (unfixable). The noses stick out too far (unfixable).

The overall look is like your character had a lobotomy.

Add random weird stuff no-one really wanted if you must, but don't break people's toons in the process

Edit to add piccie

I suspect this was done to exagerate certain facial elements for expressions.  Eyes, lips, etc.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
Kenazeer

Loremaster

So they make across the board changes to appearence to accomodate a feature that will not be used universally? Great. I will have to check out my alts and see if I am ruined and need to tinker with them.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #20
Yimway

Loremaster

Kenazeer wrote:

So they make across the board changes to appearence to accomodate a feature that will not be used universally? Great. I will have to check out my alts and see if I am ruined and need to tinker with them.

I'm not positive, its just my suspicion.  Certainly check out your toons and see if you come to the same conclusions.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #21
Tylia
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Test of Time

Loremaster

This "feature" should NOT have been automatically enabled, and changes should NOT have been made unless someone purposely enabled it.  (Wishful thinking)  This monstrosity has done nothing but make a mess of my UI settings and make my wood elves look like they are permanently smirking and my high elves look like their eyes are ready to pop out of their sockets. 

Tylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #22
Avirodar

Loremaster

SOE... Please make it so people who do not use SoEmote, are not negatively impacted by this feature.SoEmote registered no interest for me during its development. I seen a video demo of it, and simply rolled my eyes (being honest). The whole concept is useless to me, but what ever, someone else might think it is the greatest thing ever, and have fun with it. At least it was something that put EQ2 on some MMO websites, which was a good thing.But my nonchalant view of SoEmote is already degrading, because of the situation being detailed in this very thread. It is causing problems for people who have absolutely no interest, desire or intention of using SoEmote. Not good.The first few days is very critical for the fate of SoEmote. If people start to do little more than resent the existance of SoEmote, it will fast become a liability, not an assett.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #23
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

I logged into my Erudite Illy and she'd been set from non-SOGA to SOGA. I camped to the character select screen, hit "Alternate Appearance" to have it switch back, and it keeps switching back to SOGA. It will not go back to non-SOGA!

Yea, I'd be infuriated if I were in your shoes. I checked all my SOGA models to make sure they're turned off; the only thing I could suggest is that maybe one of yours got turned on for you, without your permission or control.

Regardless, this particular situation is, IMO, simply wrong. I don't know what SOE was thinking SMILEY

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #24
Shemyaza

Loremaster

i thought everyone was over-reacting 'til i realised it has turned my previously black inquisitor white (and kinda goofy looking too).

Shemyaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #25
Pipsissiwa

Loremaster

Can't we just have the old appearance when SOEmote is turned off?  Everyone looks like (as someone else described) ventriloquists dummies, all vacant and glazed.  Zombies spring to mind, as if Norrath has been hit witrh some terrible virus, but maybe I've been watching too much Walking Dead recently lol.

The group window size needs sorting out when you have the pictures turned off, especially for those of us NOT running in some stupid rez on a huge monitor, plus on one of my toons the pictures kept turning back on every time I zoned (pointless since the only group member was my merc who was hardly likely to start talking to me..... i hope.)

It is very cool tech, and I can't knock the dev's achievement in that respect but feels gimmicky and out of place in EQ2.  We are obviously being used as a testing ground for EQNext.  The voice fonts I quite like, however, as I always found it ruined my immersion when the huge beefy ogre tank talked like a 12 yr old American school-kid (for example).

Just my personal thoughts.

Peace

Played Since Launch: Highkeep/Butcherblock

Ratonga 92 Assassin/92 Carpenter

Fuse Guild Leader

"Everquester"

"I won't sit down, I won't shut up, but most of all I will not grow up" - Frank Turner
Pipsissiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #26
Jesdyr
Server: Unrest
Guild: Curmudgeons

Loremaster

I would have never noticed this for the same reason I think SOEmote is useless ... Who plays this game zoomed in enough to actually see anyone's face?Also .. Play around with /mood 

Jesdyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #27
Laenai

Loremaster

Any rednames looking into this issue? Anyone?

Old 08-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #28
Dreamclouds

Loremaster

They put race change potions on the marketplace for us today! So are there any that are not affected? What can I change to that was not altered?

thanks in advance

Dreamclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #29
Haohmaru

Zombie Dev

[email protected] wrote:

Any rednames looking into this issue? Anyone?

Absolutely. We already think we've found some answers to issues being posted here. Keep it coming though and know we're working as fast as we can on this.

Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #30
Gealaen_Gaiamancer

Loremaster

Pipsissiwa wrote:

Can't we just have the old appearance when SOEmote is turned off?  Everyone looks like (as someone else described) ventriloquists dummies, all vacant and glazed.  Zombies spring to mind, as if Norrath has been hit witrh some terrible virus, but maybe I've been watching too much Walking Dead recently lol.

I read this ... then I saw which developer responded to the thread. 

(ZOMG, Zombies!)

Gealaen_Gaiamancer is offline   Reply With Quote