EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
SecrAtive Girl

Loremaster

i've seen some talk about an Everquest 3 but i can't seem to find any information about this. is there really an Everquest 3 in development? and if so does anyone know where to find some information on it?

SecrAtive Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Andok

Loremaster

They're calling it Everquest Next, and it's not due out for a while.  Here's the lastest article I found on a quick Google search:

http://mmofallout.com/2011/01/17/pl...est-next-oh-my/

Andok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Zorastiz
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Dressed To Kill

Loremaster

The following is how the linked articlestarts /knee slap hahahahahaha, [Removed for Content] that's funny.

"Sony Online Entertainment remains the juggernaut in the MMO industry, with more than ten titles currently on the market, with more on the way this coming year."

Zorastiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
Leafle

General

By that time they should have a small enough development staff to where they can have expansion names like "Piece of Kunark" and "Snippet of Velious".

Prediction: It will be "EQ Last"

Leafle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
Ilovecows
Server: Nagafen
Guild: The Catalyst

Loremaster

You know they hirenew people?  They didn't start with a team of like 100 people and just split it apart each time a new game came out.  They hire new people for each game they create, in which pretty much everything is separate.  That is like the people who think because of LoN or fortune league less money and time will be spent on eq2.  That is false.

And eq3 or eq next, is expected to come out late 2012 or early 2013 my sources the eq1 tenth anniversary  book thing...

They also were thinking of making eq next not similar to how the gameplay is now,less like a table top game more something they think the next generation of mmo players would be most interested in, so when it does come, don't expect it to be similar to eq1 or eq2...  Expect it to be a completely different game...  Again from the book... I would quote from the book, but I am on my phone driving around.  if you want the quote pm me and I will get it to you.

I AM ILOVECOWS! REMEMBER THAT BECAUSE I LOVE COWS. YOU SHOULD LOVE THEM TOO. COWS ARE AMAZING AND I DON'T SEE HOW ANYONE COULD POSSIBLY SAY THAT THEY AREN'T AMAZING. JUST LOOK AT THEIR NATURAL BEAUTY AND GRACE. THE AMAZINGNESS OF THESE ANIMALS ASTOUNDS ME EVERY TIME THAT I SEE THEM. DON'T HATE ON ME FOR THIS, BUT IF YOU DO NOT LOVE COWS, YOU ARE NOT A REAL PERSON.
Ilovecows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #6
DrkVsr

Loremaster

So instead of it being an MMORPG, it will be an MMOFPS?

Kilitty: Kemplar of the 30th Order, Gods of Najena
Zabisuto Zyhopic: Guktassin of 27th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Tralgarth: Trollsionist of the 28th Order, SoG on Butcherblock {2nd on Server}
Blacqphlag Killzphast: Arserker of the 20th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Hwalgren N`Gareen: Faeden of the 20th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock
Reynes: Wooden Mule of the 7th Order, Spirits of Glencoe on Butcherblock

You can kill me, but you will not stop me
Ah can be killed, but ah will not die!
DrkVsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:42 AM   #7
Cusashorn

Loremaster

It won't be an EverQuest 3 either. It's a re-envisioning of the original EverQuest.
Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:22 AM   #8
Brigh

Loremaster

Cusashorn wrote:

It won't be an EverQuest 3 either. It's a re-envisioning of the original EverQuest.

Probably with the stuff they learned with Vanguard and how people that play(ed) liked certain things about it.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:00 AM   #9
WeatherMan

Loremaster

Leaflett wrote:

By that time they should have a small enough development staff to where they can have expansion names like "Piece of Kunark" and "Snippet of Velious".

Prediction: It will be "EQ Last"

I always thought they should have swapped the Kunark titles...the first time was when we had heard about it, so EQ1 would have had the 'Rise' of Kunark...and now, after the Shattering, to say nothing of the mass of people unhappy with the expansion, 'Ruins of Kunark' would better suit EQ2.  Although I realize that is just idle fancy.

And I always thought "Shards of Velious" would have been an appropriate title for EQ2 - there wouldn't be a New Halas, save for a 'shard' of Velious, after all...and I'm sure the expansion will manage to splinter the community in SOME fashion.

- Charles De Gaulle
WeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:24 AM   #10
sveppir

Loremaster

Cusashorn wrote:

And that is different how???

sveppir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:54 AM   #11
Cusashorn

Loremaster

^ Everquest 2 is a sequel to the original EverQuest. It takes 500 years in the future. If you think of it from that angle, then EQ3 would take place even further into the future than that. But no, what info I've been able to gather so far is that it's sort of a re-imagining of the original Norrath from the original Everquest, rebuilt with more computer-friendly stats (dare I say, comparable to WoW's cartoonish graphics that makes it so computer-friendly.)
Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #12
erinn

Loremaster

And if it's going to be console-controller-friendly, then I'm guessing  you won't see hotbars full of dozens of abilities...

erinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
Kizee

Loremaster

No thanks.

I am not giving them any more of my money.

Especially since it will most definately have a cash shop and to me that is a deal breaker since I hate seeing real money influance if you are good at a game or not.

Kizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
Greatscate

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

You know they hirenew people?  They didn't start with a team of like 100 people and just split it apart each time a new game came out.  They hire new people for each game they create, in which pretty much everything is separate.  That is like the people who think because of LoN or fortune league less money and time will be spent on eq2.  That is false.

And eq3 or eq next, is expected to come out late 2012 or early 2013 my sources the eq1 tenth anniversary  book thing...

They also were thinking of making eq next not similar to how the gameplay is now,less like a table top game more something they think the next generation of mmo players would be most interested in, so when it does come, don't expect it to be similar to eq1 or eq2...  Expect it to be a completely different game...  Again from the book... I would quote from the book, but I am on my phone driving around.  if you want the quote pm me and I will get it to you.

You know that they have admitted to SC originally taking away from content development time right?  Just because they have their own seperate development team NOW, does not mean they did for the year SC was introduced to EQ2-present.  You can openly see it in the significant reduction of "new" content the past year.  You would also have to assume that development  would be severely inhibited during this time as well, causing a sort of "catch-up atmosphere" around the development of EQ2.   They have also admitted to a reduced development team as well as an IT web-service team that has been "working on another project" for the past few months - Hence, the broken EQ2Players monstrosity we have today.  Given the history of other projects "taking away" from EQ2 development, one should assume that things like LoN, SC and Fortune League and whatever else SoE is working on, do in fact, take away some sort of development time from EQ2.

Greatscate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
Jaffa Tamarin

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Especially since it will most definately have a cash shop and to me that is a deal breaker since I hate seeing real money influance if you are good at a game or not.

Going off on somewhat of a tangent here, but you do realise that the single biggest advantage you can get in any game like this is to buy and dual-box a second account?  And people were doing that long before the cash shop was even a glimmer in Smedley's eye.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #16
Darkor
Guild: Nexus

Loremaster

Ive been saying for AGES that a remake of the original EQ1 with current graphic- and system-standards would be my ultimate game. EQ1 rocked so crazy, the world does not even have to have all those expansions by release. They could start with the basic game and then add each expansion one by one, it would satisfy me and several other people. A pure 1 to 1 copy with some minor tweaks is all you need and SoE actually has that!!

Whether it will be a 1 to 1 copy or a re-design with some changes does not matter to me, i'd probably play it.

The only thing that would make me not even touch the game (i am dead serious on this matter) is a marketplace or stationcashshop. My hate for all these moneymilking from SoEs side gave me the rest, its the current reason why i am so close to stopping this game. The content has not been good for ages, yet so many ressources are spent in doing marketplace items, its like a big slap into my face. I do understand that SoE is a business and the current model does not seem to be the best one but for loves god then raise the subscription fee. I want to pay a basic price and have everything and not buy each piece of the game one by one and spend probably twice as much for only half the content. Greed must have an end, if EQ3 has any sort of stationcash, then i wont be touching the game at all, you can cout on this.

Darkor 90 Swashbuckler

Daerkin 90 Shadowknight

Daerkor 90 Templar

Ajjantis 90 Warden

Melodic 90 Dirge

Dayo 90 Monk

Rasiel 88 Conjuror

Razyeel 70 Wizard

Biyon 65 Beastlord
Darkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #17
Cusashorn

Loremaster

^ I wouldn't expect to see the same combat system from EQ again. It's just the original EQ world for all we know so far.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #18
darwich

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Ive been saying for AGES that a remake of the original EQ1 with current graphic- and system-standards would be my ultimate game. EQ1 rocked so crazy, the world does not even have to have all those expansions by release. They could start with the basic game and then add each expansion one by one, it would satisfy me and several other people. A pure 1 to 1 copy with some minor tweaks is all you need and SoE actually has that!!

Whether it will be a 1 to 1 copy or a re-design with some changes does not matter to me, i'd probably play it.

The only thing that would make me not even touch the game (i am dead serious on this matter) is a marketplace or stationcashshop. My hate for all these moneymilking from SoEs side gave me the rest, its the current reason why i am so close to stopping this game. The content has not been good for ages, yet so many ressources are spent in doing marketplace items, its like a big slap into my face. I do understand that SoE is a business and the current model does not seem to be the best one but for loves god then raise the subscription fee. I want to pay a basic price and have everything and not buy each piece of the game one by one and spend probably twice as much for only half the content. Greed must have an end, if EQ3 has any sort of stationcash, then i wont be touching the game at all, you can cout on this.

Your quote about greed.. and understanding its a buisness... well, it is a buisness, and so making profit is greed... ??supply and demand pure and simple.. if there wasnt a demand for SC people wouldnt purchase the items..  I have no problem with SC, its mostly all appearence to make lots of people happy, real money yup.. so what.. dont like it dont buy it.. dont like the game , dont play it.. SMILEY 

darwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #19
Jovie
Server: Guk

Can't decide...

[email protected] DLere wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Going off on somewhat of a tangent here, but you do realise that the single biggest advantage you can get in any game like this is to buy and dual-box a second account?  And people were doing that long before the cash shop was even a glimmer in Smedley's eye.

The biggest reason people multi box that game is because it is virtually impossible to play the game solo with one character.

Jovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #20
Greatscate

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

The biggest reason people multi box that game is because it is virtually impossible to play the game solo with one character.

... You're joking right?

Greatscate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #21
darwich

Loremaster

Greatscate wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

... You're joking right?

wow... this is funny.... impossible to play with 1 toon... lol

darwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #22
Zaldor

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Its even harder to play solo when you are grouped with someone.

Zaldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #23
CheezeBurgerAnimal

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

LOL WUT!

I have Alt's in real life...
CheezeBurgerAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #24
Brigh

Loremaster

darwich wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Your quote about greed.. and understanding its a buisness... well, it is a buisness, and so making profit is greed... ??supply and demand pure and simple.. if there wasnt a demand for SC people wouldnt purchase the items..  I have no problem with SC, its mostly all appearence to make lots of people happy, real money yup.. so what.. dont like it dont buy it.. dont like the game , dont play it..  

Greed is good.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #25
Darkor
Guild: Nexus

Loremaster

darwich wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Your quote about greed.. and understanding its a buisness... well, it is a buisness, and so making profit is greed... ??supply and demand pure and simple.. if there wasnt a demand for SC people wouldnt purchase the items..  I have no problem with SC, its mostly all appearence to make lots of people happy, real money yup.. so what.. dont like it dont buy it.. dont like the game , dont play it..  

They can put all the armor they want on stationcash, i wouldnt care -IF- there was a way to aquire same stuff via playing the game. You do understand that something is wrong with the game when all 24 classes share the same appearance on the raid armor sets (compared to each subclass having their own one back in the day) but on the market place there is atleast one new shiny appearance armor created every week. So if i want my character to actually look good i need to pay extra cash? If i want to play "premium" races like freeblood i need to pay extra cash? If i want good looking furniture i need to pay extra cash?

If you answer these quesions with YES then you are right, i wont be playing this game. I truely believe alot of people wont be playing the game then SMILEY

About SoE being a business: Ofcourse they are a business and for a business i gladly pay money. I pay and i expect something in return. If you want more and more money from me but i get less and less in return i will stop paying for it.

Im a Station Account subscriber even tho i play only EQ2, this isnt about money. Make the monthly fee 25 instead of 15 bucks if the current business model isnt working anymore.

Darkor 90 Swashbuckler

Daerkin 90 Shadowknight

Daerkor 90 Templar

Ajjantis 90 Warden

Melodic 90 Dirge

Dayo 90 Monk

Rasiel 88 Conjuror

Razyeel 70 Wizard

Biyon 65 Beastlord
Darkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #26
Andok

Loremaster

As long as I enjoy the game and it remains worth my entertainment dollars, I don't care how SoE spends the revenue from EQ2.  On the other hand, when I no longer enjoy the game, I'll stop playing no matter how SoE spends that money.  I don't know why people are so controlling that they won't play a fun game if the company doesn't follow the player's micromanagement.  To each their own, I guess.

Andok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #27
Jovie

Can't decide...

darwich wrote:

Greatscate wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

... You're joking right?

wow... this is funny.... impossible to play with 1 toon... lol

Hve you played the upper levels in eq1 with one character? Even one character with a single merc is pretty much impossible. Mobs with much hp hitting like a freight train makes it quite difficult to solo in eq1. Whilst it is possible to do things like kite in eq1 it is hardly equateable to what we have for solo play in eq2.

Now if a single person plays two boxes alone ( you all seem to need this clarification instead of the word solo) and has two mercs they can prosper just fine.

I stand firm in my statement though that eq1 boxing is there because without the box if they aren't in a group they aren't adventuring.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #28
Shassia
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Ordained Protectorate

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Hve you played the upper levels in eq1 with one character? Even one character with a single merc is pretty much impossible. Mobs with much hp hitting like a freight train makes it quite difficult to solo in eq1. Whilst it is possible to do things like kite in eq1 it is hardly equateable to what we have for solo play in eq2.

No one is equating the solo play in EQ2 with EQ1, but it was very possible to solo to 50 with any class even in the early days. I soloed with a Warrior, a ShadowKnight, a Monk and a Cleric - none of which were known for being the easiest classes to solo. You just had to be smart about it.

Magicians, Necromancers and Druids always had a much easier time of it, of course.

Edit: Not everyone had the knack for it. I tried to teach an Enchanter friend of mine how to solo, which was very similar to how a Cleric operated. He was wondering why I leveled so fast - it was because I didn't just sit on my bum looking for a group, I soloed while I waited. I showed him how to do it, even killing a few mobs from his computer, but he just couldn't get the hang of it enough to avoid taking dirt naps on a regular basis.

Shassia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #29
Jovie

Can't decide...

[email protected] wrote:

No one is equating the solo play in EQ2 with EQ1, but it was very possible to solo to 50 with any class even in the early days. I soloed with a Warrior, a ShadowKnight, a Monk and a Cleric - none of which were known for being the easiest classes to solo. You just had to be smart about it.

Magicians, Necromancers and Druids always had a much easier time of it, of course.

I clarify even furthur.....UPPER LEVELS. You are correct about soloability to 50. Heck i would venture to say about to 60 on most classes.

Beyond that the mobs ramp up far too hard for a single character to solo. I suppose a player run cleric could solo to cap with a tank merc but only if you are able to single pull every time....

Btw my few posts are not an anti eq1 sentiment. I loved that game. Still do. Just trying to make sure people realize that eq1 is a very very different beast when it comes to gameplay.

All things considered, if they did introduce an eq3/eqnext that was eq1 with 21st century graphics but the entire content engine in place, i would play that in a heart beat over eq2.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #30
Shassia
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Ordained Protectorate

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I clarify even furthur.....UPPER LEVELS. You are correct about soloability to 50. Heck i would venture to say about to 60 on most classes.

Beyond that the mobs ramp up far too hard for a single character to solo. I suppose a player run cleric could solo to cap with a tank merc but only if you are able to single pull every time....

Btw my few posts are not an anti eq1 sentiment. I loved that game. Still do. Just trying to make sure people realize that eq1 is a very very different beast when it comes to gameplay.

50 was the maximum level until what, 2001? I can't remember. I left during Luclin when max level was 60. From what I understand, the game has only gotten easier as the years have gone by, but please correct me if that is a false assumption. It's been a loooooong time since I played EQ1.

Shassia is offline   Reply With Quote