EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > History and Lore
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Anaogi
Server: Permafrost
Guild: Spellbound

Loremaster

...because, y'know, it's tradition!

So, according to Various Sources™, SOE has apparently filed trademark notices in appropriate categories for 'Reign of Fear'.

Incoming expansion, maybe?  Could tie in well with the whole Kyle Bayle saga unfolding in Qeynos...or it may be EQ1 (which would be odd, in the aftermath of House of Thule) or something unrelated (if this is for Vanguard, I'll eat my cloak).

So have at it, folks...

Old 07-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Gealaen_Gaiamancer

Loremaster

The long-awaited revamping of Plane of Fear?  Sweetness! 

Gealaen_Gaiamancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Gealaen_Gaiamancer

Loremaster

Oh, got another one!  After RZ tried to invade Norrath, Cazic decided to give it a go with a horde of Shissar that he had hanging out on a secret pocket of the PoF.  Now Teren's Grasp is back in the hands of the Shissar (with some kind of resistance to The Greenmist), wackiness ensues.

Gealaen_Gaiamancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Jait

Loremaster

Pretty sure this is EQ1

Cazic-Thule was destroyed and his power was absorbed by the Alarians.  The Gods invaded Alaris.  Eventually during an Anniversary event we are asked to track down Mayong who is researching a Shard of Fear which landed in the Tower of Frozen Shadow.  Turns out the quest giver is the real bad guy, and Mayong destroys the Shard rather than let this strange alien take it who has a very good and cryptic conversation with Mayong about the future.

All revolves around the Power of Fear, so this name makes perfect sense.

Jait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

It's good to hear that Mayong is still kicking around in EQ1. I had assumed they'd killed him off for good at the conclusion of the Prophecy of Ro story arc. Sounds like he is harder to kill than the gods themselves!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
Laenai
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

'Reign of Fear'.

Kerafyrm takes over, kills Lucan and Antonia, and puts Qho in charge. Qho rules with an iron fist, demanding all Norrathians pay homage to him through thousands of harvests. His reign of terror KNOWS NO END!!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
General_Info

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

'Reign of Fear'.

Kerafyrm takes over, kills Lucan and Antonia, and puts Qho in charge. Qho rules with an iron fist, demanding all Norrathians pay homage to him through thousands of harvests. His reign of terror KNOWS NO END!!

some not-so-goody-magebutnotquiteevil places a curse on quo any organic harvest touches turns to ash and inorganic harvests just disapear from his grasp. Quo rages and looses his zest for harvesting (all of norrath rejoices)

Old 08-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Cronyn

Dwarven Dev

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

'Reign of Fear'.

I can't believe you figured out the whole story.  I thought we had the whole Kerafyrm/Qho alliance under wraps. 

Old 08-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
betatester7

Loremaster

Nice Cronyn, I miss your awesome draws!

Old 08-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
Mixxit
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster

I'm going to go with this being the next EQ1 expansion

Saburac wrote:

[Tue Jan 10 19:07:25 2012] Solusek Ro says, 'Norrath once weathered the advent of Discord. It did not break us with fear as it broke you.'

This is what stands out to me.  It's not that the Alarans are resistant to fear.  It's that fear has conquered them, and they never were willing to admit it to themselves.  The Burning Prince saw it, though.

Picking Cazic-Thule's essence to bring through may have been the greatest mistake they could ever make.  They brought the essential core of Fear itself to gods who's every action is ruled by fear.  The fear of failure, the fear of Discord, the fear of being weaker than someone else...

The Faceless, if he's conscious at all in there, is going to FEAST on the fear of gods.  Combine that with the uprisings of his children, their rage and grief at what happened to him reinforcing the belief of him, and the fear of him.

If Mayong Mistmoore could solidify a claim on godhood with mere belief in his existance, and a martyrdom, what can a greater god do with the same?

Further, with how long they've been here, how long their spirits have languished, locked in a terrified slumber after their desperate attempt to save themselves and some of their worshippers, could the Faceless Lord of Fright, Dread, and Terror not smell their fear?  The gods saw what Mayong pulled to become a god, is there a chance that Cazic-Thule played the Alaran Gods for fools, to harness their fears and attempt to raise himself to the level of the Nameless?

Is the Greenmist coming again?

Alluvial, Order of Thunder @ Antonia Bayle

Maintainer of Lore of Norrath

Need lore? EQ Timeline

Mixxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
Laenai
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

Cronyn wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

'Reign of Fear'.

I can't believe you figured out the whole story.  I thought we had the whole Kerafyrm/Qho alliance under wraps. 

You are now officially my favorite redname Sorry, ttobey!

Can I steal this for my desktop background please? LOL

Old 08-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
Meirril

Loremaster

While Poppa Cazic is probably one of my favorite dieties (from a lore point of view), having the EQ2 world charge in his direction doesn't make sense. We're suppose to go somewhere players haven't been in EQ2 or EQ1 (at least pre-PoP). Fear was definately visited in EQ1 (and more or less covered in EQ2) I can't see "The real Plane of Fear" being labled as "you've never been here before" kinda territory.

I also beg to differ. Qho inspires rage, lothing, rebellion. Hatred. Qho will be named the Son of Innoruuk and take his place at his father's side! He will be the demi-god of Envy who's followers will sacrifice thousands of hours of harvests in return for an even more pink unicorn. His followers will manipulate the prices of ebon and fulginate to please their master, causing a great nashing of teeth as desperate wanderers vent their fustration with a pick. In the final days Qho's faithful will reap equal measures of hate and plat as they manipulate the broker with sadistic glee.

This is not intended to be an advertizement. Do not fall into the dark worship of the devil-child Qho.

Meirril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
ttobey

Developer

[email protected] wrote:

Cronyn wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

'Reign of Fear'.

You are now officially my favorite redname Sorry, ttobey!

Can I steal this for my desktop background please? LOL

Hey! I was going to post the screenshot he was trying to draw there, but Cronyn is a killjoy!

Sr. Animator

EverQuest 2

ttobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
Ashlanne

Community Relations

Cronyn wrote:

This image is now my Facebook cover photo!!  AWESOME!

Ashlanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
Juravael

Loremaster

This thread gave me a good laugh tonight, thanks! 

Juravael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #16
General_Info

Lord

Ashlanne wrote:

Cronyn wrote:

This image is now my Facebook cover photo!!  AWESOME!

lol CRs ripping off from the devs, only @ SOE. if this does happen misty thicket islands will become prime real estate as there are no harvestables there. note to self: if this happens build apartment complex on island with minimal living space for maximum residents and plat from rent.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
Zabjade

Loremaster

If we are going WAY out there the Starcraft Part of Blizzard Defects to SOE and the Zerg Invade Norrath!

Old 08-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #18
Enna

Loremaster

Cronyn wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

'Reign of Fear'.

*chuckle* ... but wouldn't that be "Reign of Terror" instead of "Reign of Fear"?

If EQ-1, I'd speculate it's about who took Cazic's place, and how they overplay their hand and have to be smacked down  and / or driven back to the level of "a dull roar" instead of "in your face."

If EQ2, I'd speculate that either Lucan, Queen Thex, Mayong Mistmoore, or a similar megalomaniac as yet unknown or unrecognized gets too big for their britches (all 3 of those already named currently have heads a few sizes too large for their helms), and have to be dealt with so they go back down to "a dull roar" instead of "in your face."

... or it could be the next phase of the Age's End prophecy, a time when things seem frightfully hopeless, until somehow the adventurers pull everyone's bacon out of the fire ... again.

Whatever it turns out to be, I daresay the Dev-ious minds behind-the-scenes will have something intriguing brewing!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #19
Darkholis

Guardian

I see few options for SOE there.

For Eq1, maybe the next part of the cazic-thule saga which I doubt.

For Eq2, few options:

1- Reign of Fear...maybe cazic-thule stuff, shissars and such. I highly doubt it but would be great fun tho.

2- Reign of Fear...Windstalker said few webcasts ago that Kerafyrm would be introduced around 2013 and according to the lore, he's Norrath biggest threat. This option seems more plausible based on the current lore and how the Age's End Prophecy is coming along.

3- Reign of Fear.....something comletly new because SOE also said they're planning to do something completly new never seen in EQ1. So no Luclin, no PoP...

-I do not valuate a raid force on the number of kills they got, I instead valuate it on the number of flawless they achieved.

(Vanuk, 92 guardian, Tyrant of Revenge)
Darkholis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #20
Cyliena
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Crusaders of Neriak

Fansite Staff

Cronyn wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

'Reign of Fear'.

I laughed double hard at the picture being named "reignofqho.jpg".... THAT should be our next expansion, the Reign of Qho!!! Thanks for the giggles, Cronyn!

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #21
Zabjade

Loremaster

Cronyn wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

'Reign of Fear'.

The image is missing ONE thing...their Whip-master Nathan Ironforge...I swear he isn't a Kid but a Shrunken Adult Lich passed off by the last Baron Ironforge as one.

After all, when all of the other Kid models where created even Molly Got a new Model.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #22
ratbast

Loremaster

i see 2 safe ways to go. 1) shissar 2)amyg (edit: or both) easy add-on of new playable race, create new zones on jarsath shore/chelsith-like 'overland' zone for either shissar or amyg (amyg are molusk heads so should like water), or maybe feerott shore for amyg. shissar could have tie into nizira, city of naiad, since they are snake bodies. amyg could have city zone in a contested overland zone of remade pof. personally i always wanted a pocket of fear (existing as its very own pocket dimension) as player housing, with direct link to plane of fear. this would be a great time to put that in game. from lore standpoint, kerafyrms wrath is inspiring huge amounts of fear, solid stream to power of fear deities. also dragonkin are reptiles and have been advancing their power, just like many of cazics children are also reptilian. shissar have good tie in with doomsday calendar, but would be tacky to find out they magically survived. amyg are the epitome of fear, they are mindmages, mindflayers: perfect for enchanter class. so they would inspire and feed on fear, while possessing or charming political figures. using illusions to infiltrate, etc. as a major storyarc, kerafyrm inspiring fear, which gathers fear inspired forces to defeat him would quel power of fear after he is dead, since his threat is gone, but if the remaining minions of fear were strong enough, they could scare ppl and become selfperpetuating enough fear to maintain a powerful supergod version of cazic ecen after keras demise. thus a minidynasty or reign. cazic knew all along about doomsday calendar, he told them to write it, to create a crisis that required him to assume powers to fix crisis. then after crisis is over, he is left as master of enormous means to violence and terror.

edit: if they went with amyg, i could also see them bringing in sirens grotto and having sirens being minions/slave warriors of the amyg, just as a small outpost, while building up strength to fight kera. their magic types are so similar (mental powers to incapacitate, and then the feeding).

ratbast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #23
Paddyo

Loremaster

The next eq2 expansion is going to revolve around the Far Seas Trading company and the heretofore hidden outpost of Highhold Keep.

Paddyo, #1 Halfling Templar on Antonia Bayle 90 Templar/90 Master Woodworker/450 Adorner/450 Tinkerer

Stuue Griffon90 warden/ 90 Master Tailor & 450 Tinkerer

Quasifrodo Jolie'Pitt 90 Brigand / 90 Master Alchemist

Wokker Hexes'Strangers 82 Necromancer /90 Provisioner

Feature Presentation 90 Troubador / 90 Armorer

Paddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
Afista

Loremaster

Cronyn wrote:

Awesome

Although that might be an expansion I skip! LOL

Click Image for link to decorating consolidated works website

Consolidated Works Fourm Thread
Afista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #25
Iad

Loremaster

I'm thinking it's something unrelated to EQ1 or EQ2, I base that solely on the fact that every other expansion (to my knowledge) has included Everquest1/2: expansion title. The title of this trademark is "Reign of Fear" without everquest in the title.

Iad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #26
Cusashorn

Loremaster

Iad wrote:

I'm thinking it's something unrelated to EQ1 or EQ2, I base that solely on the fact that every other expansion (to my knowledge) has included Everquest1/2: expansion title. The title of this trademark is "Reign of Fear" without everquest in the title.

Not entirely true. There have been simply the subtitle of the expansion being registered for use in the past. It is not necissary to slap the game's name onto a phrase of words for the sake of obtaining legal copyrights. It's not the first time this has happened either.

Scars of Velious was liscensed in the same manner: No "EverQuest 2" proceeding it.

Cusashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #27
Iad

Loremaster

Well, nevermind then, I should have looked more closely when I searched it.

Iad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #28
Meirril

Loremaster

Darkholis wrote:

2- Reign of Fear...Windstalker said few webcasts ago that Kerafyrm would be introduced around 2013 and according to the lore, he's Norrath biggest threat. This option seems more plausible based on the current lore and how the Age's End Prophecy is coming along.

When I read this I kept thinking of the 3 hyenas in the Lion King.

You see 3 spotted Kobolts talking amongst each other.

1st: "Say the name!"

2nd: "Kerafyrm!"

1st and 3rd: "Ooh!"

1st: "Say it again!"

Meirril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #29
Halo of G4

Loremaster

I'm surprised no one mentioned Dead Hills yet. Seeing how Kyle Bayle 'reigned' over New Qeynos it prior to its destruction. And seeing how Deadhills is literally south of the feerott. I dunno, sounds plausible especially with how important his role is with Qeynos is now.

Maybe we'll see something on the lines of Freeport during Sentinel's Fate. Antonia has been kidnapped, Qeynos is now being openly attacked by Kyle Bayle and his resurrected kingdom. Bloodsabers create a new temple of bert in the deadhills, Kane Bayle's essence is resurrected by his brother to help lead. So many possiblities.

Added Raid Zone:

The Goldrush: Dwell into the depths of RED base to defeat the Heavy, a powerful foe that even the Nameless fears.

Halo of G4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #30
Celline-Layonaire

Loremaster

A thing to note : Smokejumper responded in his twitter that announcement and details, media for EQ1/2's expansions this year will happen in September. (I guess 'late August' would be the earliest...) 

Celline-Layonaire is offline   Reply With Quote