EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Support Forums > Tech Area > General Tech Support Questions
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
-=Hoss=-

Loremaster

I did a search and it looks like its been a while since anyone had a Keyboard Issue on here.  I have been searching the intrawebz, and most of what I found there is saying it might be an ssue with the game.  First, here is what its doing:Occasionally (by that, I mean at least once a minute when I am paying attention) all 3 lock lights will flash on my keyboard.  When it does this, if i have a key pressed, it will repeat that key until the lights go off.  The timing has to be just right for that to happen, because while the lights are on, the KB is locked up, and the only keys i regularly hold down for long periods is the movement keys.  The flashing lights usually only last a second or less, and actually don't interefere with my game play much at all.  Sure, this has caused me to run into rooms full of aggro mobs and die a glorious death, and a lot of people I play with think I'm a walking typo.  If that was all it did, I could live with it.  But, sometimes, the KB does not unlock itself when the lights go off.  When it first started happeneing, I tried rebooting and that usually didn't work until the second reboot.  Since then, I have figured out that its quicker and more reliable to unplug the KB and plug it back in.  Lately, its been taking 2 tries to get things working, and it is locking up at least every hour.  Second, my system: Windows XP - its probably a media center edition, but its got all the latest patches and service packs.  The computer itself started out life as a Gateway media center, but since then I have upgraded the Power Supply, Video Card, Processor (I think) and maxed out the memory, and somewhere along the way, it lost the words "Media Center" after "Windows XP".  I never actually used it as a media center, so I don't know if its still got any of the special MC functionality.  The KB and mouse are USB, and they are the only 2 USB devices normally hooked up to the computer.  Sometimes I use a flash drive too.  I use Prophet UI, but this was an issue even when I used the default UI.  Third, What I've tried (and why I think it might be a game related problem):It only seems to happen when I am playing EQ2.  Now, to be fair, EQ2 is running 99% of the time this computer is turned on.  So its possible it would happen when the game isn't on, and I just haven't seen it yet.  Last night was the first time the KB was ever locked up while I was trying to log into EQ2.  But last night, I was having other issues with my internet connection which were causing me to reboot frequently, so its conceivable that the KB locked up at the same time as the internet and it was still locked up after the reboot.  At any rate, until the game starts up, I do not see my lock lights flashing either (except at boot up when they are supposed to flash).  I have tried different keyboards, and I have tried every USB port on the computer.The keyboard is just a $20 cheapo, so its using the windows default drivers.  I can't even remember whose brand name is on it.   It's probably keytronics. There are no PS2 ports on the computer, so trying to use one of those is out of the question.  I have tried to update the USB and keyboard drivers, but it told me no better drivers were found.  I checked Device manager for bangs (!) but there were none.  I deleted the USB Drivers and rebooted so windows could re-install them.  All of these things had zero effect.  When I get home, I intend to delete the EQ2 Keyboard file I saw referenced in an earlier post, and I'll post back here if that seems to do any good. Any other suggestions?thanks, -h
-=Hoss=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
Wingrider01

Loremaster

Would suggest trying a different keyboard - the one you have maybe going bad, or the PS2 port (if it is hooked up that way) maybe having an issue. If you are using a USB keyboard have you added any new USB devices in the chain - your machine may not be supplying sufficient voltage anymore. This can be over come with a power USB hub

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
-=Hoss=-

Loremaster

A different keyboard was one of the first things I tried.  Sure its possible they are both going bad, but how likely is it they are both going bad in exactly the same way?  It is USB, there are no PS2 ports on the machine.  Keyboard and mouse are the only things on USB ports and they haven't changed in years.  The ports are all built into the machine.  No USB hubs.  Do you think I should try buying a powered USB hub?  -h
Old 01-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
-=Hoss=-

Loremaster

Following up just for posterities sake.  I bought a powered USB hub, but when I plugged it in, windows could not find a driver for it.  Nothing I did seemed to work, I kept getting messages saying there were no drivers for my device.  The only thing I could not do was try to point it to the driver manually because I could not find a generic usb hub driver to download.  So, in the course of troubleshooting, I started deleting USB drivers in device manager so windows could re-install them .... and windows could not find those drivers either.  So, before long, I had a computer that started up beautifully, but there was no way to attach a keyboard or a mouse to it.  Bottom line is, I think the motherboard on the computer had gone bad.  After an emergency visit to Frye's, and a hectic sunday afternoon spent bringing my creation to life, I am rockin a new computer.  This one would chew up and spit out the old one and I've discovered this game has shadows and they fascinate me.  -h