EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-29-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
Rendoir

Loremaster

Hi all, 

I'm enjoying Skyshrine, as a multiboxer it's been fun as I've been able to enjoy all my toons a lot more without having to worry abotut hem not being well geared enough, faction grinding and questing for new gear. Easy to drop the boxes and get groups as well, I've never enjoyed the feeling of EQ2 being so busy in fact.

But the zone design in Dracur is giving me terrible, terrible lag. And I'm no the noly one, a lot of other people, boxers and single account players have mentioned it as well, and I'd like to know - are you, the devs, aware of this?

It reminds me of the lag I used to get when zoning into a T3 guild house full of items.

It can take anything up to 10 minutes to be able to move, and after that if I walk from the centre to a zone entrance it will lock up again.

On top of that while running about in the contested area, if I happen to cross through the side passages from one area to the next it will freeze up there too, and will freeze up f another group runs past.

I've raided with a full 24 man playing 3 toons in DoV without lag, screen freezes and anything else and I don't suffer lag in any other zones apart from withered lands.

Would be nice if something was done about it!

Rendoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
wullailhuit

Loremaster

I tend to lag a lot as I move towards the doors to the contested areas but I think that's just because the mobs are being rendered behind all the walls as I  approach the area , but also just the sheer number of people playing in the zone doesn't help.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
bks6721

Loremaster

initially when I zone into Skyshrine I get 1FPS for 3 minutes. I cannot move at all during this time.  IF I want to run a solo instance I must run over to the npc and wait two more minutes for him to render.  After this initial freeze everything is fine and fps climbs back up to around 40 which is normal for my junk.

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Rendoir

Loremaster

Just like to comment that more than a few people have now commented ingame about terrible lag ruining gameplay and would like to draw it to attention on the forums as not many bother coming to post here.

Thank you.

Rendoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Haohmaru

Zombie Dev

Hey all

Internally, the zone is performing where we expect it to with environment/NPC population, but before player population in the contested version - we then account for a fair chunk of players beyond that (though player congestion does impact performance quite a bit still). A zone this big, and being contested does mean there's a potential memory bottleneck waiting to happen as players go in and out and run through the place hackin' away - it's a bit unpredictable but we do try and factor this in, trust us, but some combinations we don't realize until it's being hit as hard as it is now. To get a bit more insight, I'd ask anyone if they could post their EQ2.exe 'memory' size in task manager under processes the next time a lag hit occurs.

Also, while it's laggy, try setting the Texture Resolutions (temporarily - just to test) on Characters/LoDs to less than maximum (all the way down even). Then try the same with Environment if little result is seen. The environment texture set/size is static so separating the two tests helps. Recheck the memory size. It may take a bit to flush out, perhaps even a restart. Any and all info will certainly help and is most appreciated.

Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:49 AM   #6
feldon30

Fansite Staff

This problem should fix itself once the Skyshrine Pennants go into the game.

Dozens of players are currentlly standing around AFK just so they can place guild rally banners and/or let people CoV to them.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #7
Luhai

Loremaster

Yeah, adding a fast (and more comfortable) way to travel to Skyshrine that is accessible to everyone would probably remove a lot of the lag currently going on.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
Tigress

Loremaster

Haohmaru wrote:

Hey all

Internally, the zone is performing where we expect it to with environment/NPC population, but before player population in the contested version - we then account for a fair chunk of players beyond that (though player congestion does impact performance quite a bit still). A zone this big, and being contested does mean there's a potential memory bottleneck waiting to happen as players go in and out and run through the place hackin' away - it's a bit unpredictable but we do try and factor this in, trust us, but some combinations we don't realize until it's being hit as hard as it is now. To get a bit more insight, I'd ask anyone if they could post their EQ2.exe 'memory' size in task manager under processes the next time a lag hit occurs.

Also, while it's laggy, try setting the Texture Resolutions (temporarily - just to test) on Characters/LoDs to less than maximum (all the way down even). Then try the same with Environment if little result is seen. The environment texture set/size is static so separating the two tests helps. Recheck the memory size. It may take a bit to flush out, perhaps even a restart. Any and all info will certainly help and is most appreciated.

i can't set my settings any better than "EXTREME".  skyshrine is dreadful.  i get 1 FPS when i'm zoning in the contested area.  after about 5 min, it will go up to 4 FPS.  i admit that my video graphics are not the best, however, that zone is worse than the others.  to give you comparison, when i'm in most other places i get 14-20 fps.  when in raid for the new zones, many ppl in raid have to zoom in & look to the ground to get their FPS above 1.  somethings not right.  please, i beg you, go back and recheck without those SOE super computers .

yes, a direct port there would be great.  i'd rather go into a solo zone and camp overnight than log back into skyshrine contested. there is ALWAYS many ppl AFK in the center area.

Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
yadlajoi

Loremaster

Skyshrine hold still as anyone from anyguild cast, zone, or move.
yadlajoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
Troy

Loremaster

ok - I am the opposite - I have no lag issues at all in any of the skyshrine areas. And I play in full extreme graphics with all on cept shadows and cloaks. Im on AB server. I am posting this only to show that it is not a problem for everyone.

Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
Koleg
Server: Unrest_old

Lord

Troy wrote:

ok - I am the opposite - I have no lag issues at all in any of the skyshrine areas. And I play in full extreme graphics with all on cept shadows and cloaks. Im on AB server. I am posting this only to show that it is not a problem for everyone.

You are just going to start a AB Server Hate thread with server hardward priority with that statement.  We all know that AB runs on a Cray while the rest run on Adams, new or not they only said they upgraded to new servers and never said how good those new servers actually were or if they were all the same.

On the other hand, the Dev's could always lower the number of people required before another instance of the zone is created.

Koleg is offline   Reply With Quote