EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > In Testing Feedback
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-05-2005, 10:36 PM   #1
Cozumel

Loremaster

For the love of the game, PLEASE increase the rate inwhich Ebon clusters drop!!!
Cozumel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:15 PM   #2
Galeo1

Loremaster

Don't do it.  Leave something in this game rare and hard to achieve.
Galeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:32 AM   #3
Culann Heartsto

I side with the OP.

Finding a Ebon Cluster is incredibly difficult...drop rate COULD be improved to something beyond winning the lottery in a huge state.

Culann Heartsto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:50 AM   #4
Hiredg0

The drop rate definately needs to be increased. Ebon is used to make armor for both chain and plate wearers, along with every metallic weapon available, used in the EBBC heritage quest, and the occasional home decoration. None of the other rare harvests boast this much versatility and demand, please help!
Hiredg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:14 AM   #5
Handleba

I have found 6 in the past two weeks with a total of about 5 hours of harvesting.  The rate doesn't need to be increased.

I always edit for content, not grammar!
Handleba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:28 AM   #6
jedijas

Handlebars wrote:I have found 6 in the past two weeks with a total of about 5 hours of harvesting.  The rate doesn't need to be increased.

I call BS on this.
jedijas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:39 AM   #7
Culann Heartsto

I have to say..I've harvested for close to 7-8 in the last week and found none...so by the same train of thought...the droprate DOES need to be increased...seriously increased.

Old 05-06-2005, 09:51 AM   #8
Ma

Total BS :smileyvery-happy:

to the 6 harvests in 2 weeks, I strongly agree with the OP

Message Edited by Makx on 05-05-2005 10:52 PM

Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #9
Aegori

General

If i were SOE, i would be much more inclined to honor requests that have a valid reason... not "I cant find ebon". Two sources... harvesting and T5 named mobs. I've gotten 2 in the past 3 days via the latter source. There's plenty to go around.

-Aeg

Dev Tracker
Search Function
Aegori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:07 AM   #10
Mat

General

Not also Ebon clusters but the uncommon (luminous) stuffs seem never show up on me. :p
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:16 PM   #11
Gladesto

Agree with this post...Players who want it to stay...Only want to make a quick 2 plat...
Gladesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:56 PM   #12
A

General

I think the mined clusters do need to be increased for the casual player to get some of this gear.  I think it is disproportionant to have so many ebon disks/coins etc drop from named yet the mined clusters are unbelievably rare.  And I know there are alot of the ones from named mobs around since every higher end guild I see has every member in full ebon armor/weapons.
A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 05:37 PM   #13
Huskyla

I think the drop rate is just fine.  I've harvested a few ebon's, and yea, it's hard to get them harvesting.  I don't want to keep them hard to get to jack up the price, I use the ones I am fortunate enough to get. 

Ebon's drop from T5 nameds pretty frequently also ..  what's the problem here?

Everyone in favor of increasing the drop rate seems to want to make it better for the casual player.  Ok, that's fine, I understand you want more rewards.  But explain to me, what's the incentive for the hardcore player?  Where do you drop the line?   Will fabelled items be next to drop from small wooden chests?

The drop rate is just fine IMO.

Huskyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 05:42 PM   #14
Culann Heartsto

No..it's not really fine..if it were, you wouldn't have the majority of people in this thread asking for a increase, neither would you have the OP making the thread.

People can go for crazy lengths of time hunting without finding one..while others can find them in relatively short time, which is simply the vast randomness of success in this situation.  This is not acceptable. 

Next..Husky..EQ2 is not meant to be a game built for the hardcore..it's just not..I read a post elsewhere where 7 people killed Vox the other day...and people are doing multiple raids on different zones per night.  This is not hardcore as EQ1 was.  When you come to that realization, it will make a lot more sense that you're in a casual friendly MMO and item rates for things like ebon clusters DO need to have the drop rate raised to fall in line with the other perspectives SOE apparently has regarding this game.

Any way you look at it, SOE's already indicated by deed and word the game is meant for the casual types, and casual people should have just as much right to the clusters and the like as anyone else.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:44 PM   #15
Handleba

Call BS all you want, I just broke onto the top 100 wealthiest from selling them on Befallen.  Send a cross-tell to any of my guildies inThe Rallosian Guard and ask.  I have theories on why I find them, just not going to share with people who call me a liar.

I always edit for content, not grammar!
Handleba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:45 PM   #16
Aegori

General

Culann Heartstone wrote:

People can go for crazy lengths of time hunting without finding one..while others can find them in relatively short time, which is simply the vast randomness of success in this situation.  This is not acceptable. 

Why is this unacceptable? You still have the same chance as everyone else to find these items. The fact i found 2 in 3 days was pure and simple luck. I had two good rolls and won. Except for those, i'm lucky if i can find 1 every 3-4 weeks. You know why this is acceptable... because you only need 6 of them. Their rarity is one of the elements of achievement within the game. Flood the market with these and you're simply watering down the market for a staple end game armor. Where is the fun in that? If SOE had made EP molds tradeable when PoP released, what the heck fun would that have been? There's no sense of achievement in buying everything from a watered down market. I appreciate the causal gamer argument, but like i said above, they have the same chances as everyone else to get these items. Since you all are of the level where ebon matters, i'll give everyone a tip:

Get access to Miragul's Menagerie and Icespire Summit and farm them daily. Each instance takes little time to do and can yield T5 drops (tho it's not a guarantee). Also, the dynamic mob camps and named in Feerrott all have a chance to drop T5 rares from them as well. Ebon, Superb Pelts, Cedar, etc. are not for the "uber"... they are for those that put forth the effort to obtain them. I know i have, and i would feel wholly cheapened if they made the task easier for everyone else.

-Aeg

Dev Tracker
Search Function
Aegori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:34 PM   #17
Mad_Hatt0r

Loremaster

Handlebars wrote:
Call BS all you want, I just broke onto the top 100 wealthiest from selling them on Befallen.  Send a cross-tell to any of my guildies inThe Rallosian Guard and ask.  I have theories on why I find them, just not going to share with people who call me a liar.

i dont think you are a liar...can you tell me :smileywink:

gnomes are sexy..

Mad_Hatt0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:54 PM   #18
Eadric

Loremaster

The desire for ebon is huge...too huge really. SOE could afford to increase the spawn rate on the clusters and it would be fine. BTW, I'm a warlock and have absolutely no use or need for ebon stuff, but I see my friends and they spend hours on end banging rocks praying to get one for their upgrades. I'd rather see them enjoying the game and adventuring. But I guess I'm odd like that.
Eadric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 08:56 PM   #19
Stabz

Quit whining, they're down to 2 plat on blackburrow just buy them if you're too lazy to harvest.

Stabs Orange (Militia)
Black Burrow
Level 50 Halfling ebil Brigand
Level 50 Provisioner
Stabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:05 PM   #20
Eneg

In the words of Bruce Springsteen: "You cant always get what you want".

Deus ::: 50 Warden ::: Nektulos
Severity ::: 6x Bladedancer ::: Hindemith
Eneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #21
WAPCE

Loremaster

Culann Heartstone wrote:
No..it's not really fine..if it were, you wouldn't have the majority of people in this thread asking for a increase, neither would you have the OP making the thread.

If people weren't asking for an increase, it wouldn't be a rare, which would negate the entire purpose of having rare harvests/crafted items. I'm sorry, but not everyone can have 7 pieces of crafted ebon armor and the Robe of the Invoker. That's just how rare items work.

Adblock Plus (with EasyList x3)
Flashblock
WAPCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:58 PM   #22
Huskyla

Yes Culann, IMO its fine.  The majority (and its not a very strong majority) want the drops increased because they are the have-nots, and want a bit easier.  I understand that position, I just disagree. 

Random is completely acceptable to me.  Otherwise everyone ends up with the same armor, the same weapons, ultimately the same everything.

As for your postion that this game is not made for the hard-core, well I never said it was ONLY meant for them.  Clearly the game appeals to both casual and hardcore, and I'd bet my bottom dollar SOE wants both customers.  Heck, I'd be willing the wager with a little use of the search engine you can even find quotes from Sony confirming this.  

The drop rate is just fine.  Go out group up and kill a few nameds in lava and you'll get ebon drops also.

However, that said, I will say that I think the EBBC quest should use a luminious stone not an ebon cluster. 

Don't make blanket statements that the game is for casual players only.  That's just silly.

Huskyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:17 PM   #23
Bleusong

Loremaster

also needed for heritage quests right?..ebon rarity is bit ridiculous..any other servers where it goes for 5plat a pop?
Bleusong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:17 PM   #24
Naughtesn

General

Enegar wrote:
In the words of Bruce Springsteen: "You cant always get what you want".

Wasn't that Mick Jagger? first, anyway...

Hausbau, 80 Coercer
Naughtesn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:39 PM   #25
espmrred

Loremaster

I don't know if the drop needs to be increased... or if SOE should take a look at a few other changes I think doing at least 1 of the following ideas would dramaticlly improve the situation.
1) Change the item needed in BBC from an Ebon Cluster, to a Luminous Stone (They did it for every other heritage quest, but BBC and GBS and it cut down a demand for HQ Pelts, Opal and Fir)
2) Increase the ore nodes themselves, don't tweak the drop rate of ebon, just increase the chances of seeing Ore nodes.
3) Remove the [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] botters!

I'm sorry but with the botters on the faydark server harvesting 24/7 in Feerrott and Rivervale I rarely run into an ore. I can run into any other T5 node just fine, but not ore. Yet I constantly get tells for botters offering to sell me an ebon cluster for 2p
espmrred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:47 PM   #26
Kizee

Loremaster

You don't see any ore because people will stop and harvest it as soon as they see it because of how much ebon clusters sell for. All the other rares don't sell for as much so people will run by them normally.
Kizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 12:25 AM   #27
Roger1111

Loremaster

It isn't that the rate for harvesting ebon clusters needs to be increased.  The problem is that there is a problem of supply and demand for them relative to the other T5 rare harvested items.

There are currently 14 subclasses who require ebon clusters for crafted upgrades to their T5 armor.  This compares to 4 subclasses who require pelts for light armor upgrades, and 6 subclasses who require roots for very light armor upgrades.

Then, you must add to the equation the ebon component for the Bone Bladed Claymore heritage quest, and the fact that many of the same subclasses who require ebon clusters for their armor upgrades also require ebon for their weapon upgrades.

Here are some suggestions that could be employed to make ebon upgrades lower in price on the market, without increasing the harvest rate of ebon clusters:

1)  Remove ebon cluster from a quest step from the Bone Bladed Claymore,

2)  Split up the heavy and medium armor wearers, have one of the groups need a different harvested rare item with which they upgrade their armor,

3)  Make ore nodes much like stone nodes, which yield the chance of harvesting two separate rare items that can both be used to upgrade spells, instead the ore would yield two different rare items that can be used to upgrade armor, weapons, etc.

The basic problem is that light or very light armor wearers, while having the same chance to obtain a harvest for the rare they need as do medium and heavy armor wearers, are able to obtain their rare items off the broker for much cheaper than medium and heavy armor wearers are able to.  Instead of increasing supply, the devs need to effect changes in the demand side of the equation to bring medium and heavy armor wearers more in line with their light and very light armor wearing counterparts.

Faelar-45 inquisitor of Retribution

Oasis server

And yes, I realize that strange black ore also is returned from harvesting ore nodes, but at this point, there are so few level 30 guilds on any server, not to mention the difficulty in forging the items from it, that strange black ore is practically a non-entity in the equation.

Message Edited by Roger1111 on 05-07-2005 01:38 PM

Roger1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 03:03 AM   #28
Efour EQ2

Loremaster

why not just add a /ebon command when u ding 50 u get 9 clusters in your bag. 
Dont make this game easier than it is already.

Efour EQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 04:46 AM   #29
strath

Depends on whoyou are, a guy in my guild has found more ebon than i have T5 rares...my time harvesting,k 2 months, his time harvesting...2 weeks..go figure, theres no way in hell that its that random.
strath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:31 AM   #30
Dazzler_Twodir

I've spent 2 months just looking in all the T5 zones for one frigging ebon for the BBC heritage.

At least let the stupid coin and disc be used for it or the black ore or the lumi stone.

Or FIX the stupid rocks always bugged in the trees.

Ypu can run around Feerrott at any time 6 to 10 rocks will be unreachable.

Now residing at 5 Erolissi Lane South Qeynos
Dazzler_Twodir is offline   Reply With Quote