EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Troubador
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-08-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
DankShasta

Loremaster

At level 35 I got a new chest piece called Chainmail of Dark Whispers. It is great for us!! It's bonuses are against all the physical damage types (crushing, slashing, etc.) Here is what is special it has DEFENSE +3! When this is used with all our buffs I become close to impossible to be hit! With Agility of around 235, minstrel's, and this armour, my guildies, and I are finding that My Troub, can tank now!! For aggro management I will pull with my bow "STORMFIRE". Then I hit adept 3 Alin's Keening, our AOE. If you lose aggro on a mob try Arcane symphony, it builds MUCHO HATE! This spell works better than most taunts! If you already have it up(fighting casters). Rebuff with Niv's or another non crucial buff, that will get you all the hate you can handle. Do not rebuff with Minstrel's, to bring it down even for a second while you are tank can be fatal, as you still don't have great mitigation.
     The armour I had before had slightly better mitigation, but it was slight, GUYS DO NOT UNDER ESTIMATE THREE points OF DEFENSE ! With the extra defense you immediatly become invulnerable to half of almost every green mob, and half the blues.Remember Minstrel's always ! This is our best spell, hands down!

Message Edited by DankShasta on 05-18-2005 07:30 AM

DankShasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
thorvang

Loremaster

it's not 3 levels of defense, it's +3 skill what's equal to .6 levels.though it's easily possible for a troub to gain 3 levels of defense through buffs and gear, yet another additional 3 levels every 60s for 30s. add 400+ agi and you're a pretty good tank... against melee mobs SMILEY
Old 04-19-2005, 01:23 AM   #3
Sonnyjim_Grumblestump

Loremaster

You get +5 defense per level normally, so +3 is pretty nice. Its certainly not 'blocking three levels higher' though. The loss of STR, AGI and Power from switching out my ebon eye vest is lamentable in group situations, but for times when I'm out duoing with my Mystic g/f, this certainly can't be beat.

Come one, come all -- Visit the League of the Ignoble Liver
"I'm not just drunk... I'm leading by example!"
Sonnyjim_Grumblestump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
Asteroi

I wish it looked better than it does too.
Asteroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:06 PM   #5
Eadric

Loremaster

Where did you get it from?
Eadric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:31 PM   #6
DankShasta

Loremaster

got it from a broker for 4 gold! I am pretty sure it is from the Bloodlines, but I have not had it drop yet, I got a helmet that is similiar in name and it has  +9 agility

Also I said three points, not three levels sorry, if I was misunderstood, anyway thats over half a level and once the agility gets close to 300 and avoidance gets to 70%, we can start to tank, damage may be less than other scouts but DPS is still better than any "tank"

Message Edited by DankShasta on 05-18-2005 07:33 AM

DankShasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:08 AM   #7
Claritin

Loremaster

DankShasta wrote:

damage may be less than other scouts but DPS is still better than any "tank"

Message Edited by DankShasta on 05-18-2005 07:33 AM

Gimmie whatever he's been smoking SMILEY

Troubs have lower DPS than every tank... and thats when they can use thier flanking damage... which when you are tanking.. you can't... and if you are having to spend your power and a CP on arcane concerto refreshes to hold aggro... your DPS drops further.

I know... I know... Scouts are the Melee DPS archetype... well SoE made a mistake... Scouts don't have the DPS we should... and Bards especially Troubs are the red-headed step children of the scout tree.  Download any parser... ask a Paladin how they feel about thier DPS compared to a bruiser or bezerker... then start your parser up... duo with him/her and see how you measure up...

remember 20 secs before you kicked off your parser and you asked how that paladin felt about bruiser and zerker DPS?  Well how do you feel about yours afer comparing to the paladin and knowing the paladin is embarressed of thier DPS?

I'm a Troub... I have a Guardian brother, a Paladin brother... and a Templar brother... I can beat the TEMPLAR fairly consistantly... the others... nope... and they are not the DPS tanks.

Yeah +3 Def is nice... but I think you are seriously over estimating your mitigation gains and DPS while in "tank mode"...  if I was lower level I would definately buy one for my bags... however I have a feeling there is no lvl 50 version of this armor that can be obtained for under 20 plat.

+3 DEF is a big deal especially on greens which you specifically mentioned though... I can tank hoardes of greys due to avoidence... and skill levels... even barely greys...

Swansong... our lvl 40-50 defensive skill buff has +9 DEF at Adept 3... our lvl 40-50 haste I think hs +4 DEF... so +13 DEF... nearly 3 levels of DEF.... that's a big deal.... having a tunic similar to the one you have at lvl 50 would make me a very happy Troub/Fury 2-boxer I think... but I don't expect to have high DPS :smileywink:

Sslar
- 23 Bruiser
Permafrost Server
Former leader of The Dauntless
Current Member of Fires of Heaven
Claritin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:12 AM   #8
VericSauvari

Loremaster

Claritin wrote:

Swansong... our lvl 40-50 defensive skill buff has +9 DEF at Adept 3... our lvl 40-50 haste I think hs +4 DEF... so +13 DEF... nearly 3 levels of DEF.... that's a big deal.... having a tunic similar to the one you have at lvl 50 would make me a very happy Troub/Fury 2-boxer I think... but I don't expect to have high DPS :smileywink:

swansong doesn't have +9..or i'd have that up during raids

(boycott pay-2-pwn (RMT) !
VericSauvari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:34 PM   #9
Claritin

Loremaster

VericSauvari wrote:

Claritin wrote:

swansong doesn't have +9..or i'd have that up during raids

At Adept 3 Swansong has +9 just as I said....
Sslar
- 23 Bruiser
Permafrost Server
Former leader of The Dauntless
Current Member of Fires of Heaven
Claritin is offline   Reply With Quote