EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Support Forums > Tech Area > General Tech Support Questions
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-25-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
Eadric

Loremaster

I want to get a second card to run SLI, but I can't find out the exact model of my card.  Device Manager lists my card as a NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS.  Can I buy any other card of the same type or do I need an exact match?  If I need an exact match, do any of you know of a utility to determine that information?

Thank you.

Eadric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:55 AM   #2
Killerbee3000

Loremaster

to find the exact model of your graphicscard you could use gpu-z.

aslong as its a 7900 GS you get as a second card, it will work. however, i would suggest not using sli aslong as there are single cards avalaible that are faster, especially considering eq2 doesnt really make use of sli.

Killerbee3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
jagermonsta

Loremaster

If you're thinking of setting up a SLI system for EQ2 think again. EQ2 and SLI do not mix. You will be greatly disappointed that your performance actually drops with SLI enabled. EQ2 claims it supports SLI but it really doesn't. Search this forum and the web in regards to SLI & EQ2. Do the research before you waste your money.
jagermonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
Eadric

Loremaster

Thanks for the feedback you two.  Anybody care to recommend a good video card for EQ2?
Eadric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
jagermonsta

Loremaster

I would suggest the 8800GT but it's the 8 series pretty much as a whole that has issues with EQ2. I hear a lot of people in the 7 series don't have an issue so perhaps a 7950GT is a good upgrade. I also hear of several ATI cards that run EQ2 but I am not sure of the models.

(If you don't only play EQ2 then I suggest 8800GT because it's the best bang for the buck and will run games other than EQ2 with great performance & quality)

jagermonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:20 PM   #6
Killerbee3000

Loremaster

8800 GT would be an excellent choice... the only problem with it is that its pretty much nowhere in stock.... the radeon 3850 might be worth a look, its performance is between 8600 GTS and 8800 GT for the price of the 8600GTS.

Killerbee3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #7
willnotuse

Loremaster

Killerbee3000 wrote:
8800 GT would be an excellent choice... the only problem with it is that its pretty much nowhere in stock.... the radeon 3850 might be worth a look, its performance is between 8600 GTS and 8800 GT for the price of the 8600GTS.
I could not in good conscience recommend the 8x00 series by nVidia at this time based on the problems that are constantly being listed on this board and across the net by a Google search.  At this time I would say go with either the new ATi cards based around the 3x00 series or get the older 2x00 series.  As long as the card has at least 512MB of onboard RAM it'll handle this game fine due to the game being so CPU bound still.
willnotuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:02 AM   #8
Maldrick

Loremaster

Came here looking for similar info and have a question about SLI in general, kind of as it relates to EQ2...

I've never used SLI....If one has a machine configured for it, is there a way to disable it just for running EQ2 without having to physically open the case each time one switches back and forth between EQ2 and another game that SLI works with?

Thanks

Maldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #9
willnotuse

Loremaster

You may do so under the nVidia Control Panel.  There is an option under SLI to disable SLI.  You must have no games running at the time in order to do so as it resets your display.
willnotuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
Maldrick

Loremaster

willnotuse wrote:
You may do so under the nVidia Control Panel.  There is an option under SLI to disable SLI.  You must have no games running at the time in order to do so as it resets your display.
Awesome thanks.  Is it safe to assume that the same is possible with Crossfire as well?
Maldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #11
Acute
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Faith and Justice

Loremaster

Keep in mind if you want to switch out your video card for another one make sure its compatabile with your mainboard. Even if your going from Nvidia to Nvidia make sure it will run the card's Memory type, speed and slot type work together.

If you decide to go with ATI again make sure the mainboard supports it, if it doesn't then you may have an added expense of new Mainboard. Also if you decide to go with the ability to SLI or X-Fire then you will, unless you have already, switch out your mainboard for this ability.

I agree SLI does not work with EQ2, very very choppy and 1-4 sec lag sucks for playing. I turned off SLI and got my FPS up to 30+ running on Quality setting.

Just another thing to think about when upgrading

Hope it helps SMILEY

Acute is offline   Reply With Quote